#1 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1240 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For most characters, the real names were never revealed. It took many decades before the old name of Darkseid was revealed. I think it was John Byrne who gave Darkseid a name by doing a story about the early days of young Darkseid before he became a villain after betraying his brother.

#3 Posted by Freefa11 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kid_Omega_Prime: I think it just means they don't have secret identities. Sometimes the way sites or reference books list "secret identity" or "real name" can be confusing if the character only goes by their real name.

Orion's name is Orion. Amazing Grace's name is actually Amazing Grace. Same for all the rest. There are only a couple of real exceptions. Highfather's name was originally Izaya, and he still recognizes it, so "Highfather" works more as a title for him. Mr. Miracle's real name is Scott Free, and he's probably the only New God to really have a secret identity and function much like a traditional superhero.

Takion also has a real name (I forget what is is though), although he's only sort-of a New God; he was originally a normal human who was transformed into a godlike being by Highfather.

Darkseid is a little different; his original name was Uxas, but it's not like he ever actually uses it. It was essentially just replaced with the name Darkseid when he bonded with the Omega Force. It's sort of like with Galactus, sure, back in the day he was some guy named Galan, but at this point he is practically a completely different entity and doesn't even think of himself as that anymore.

#4 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

@Freefa11 said:

@Kid_Omega_Prime: I think it just means they don't have secret identities. Sometimes the way sites or reference books list "secret identity" or "real name" can be confusing if the character only goes by their real name.

Orion's name is Orion. Amazing Grace's name is actually Amazing Grace. Same for all the rest. There are only a couple of real exceptions. Highfather's name was originally Izaya, and he still recognizes it, so "Highfather" works more as a title for him. Mr. Miracle's real name is Scott Free, and he's probably the only New God to really have a secret identity and function much like a traditional superhero.

Takion also has a real name (I forget what is is though), although he's only sort-of a New God; he was originally a normal human who was transformed into a godlike being by Highfather.

Darkseid is a little different; his original name was Uxas, but it's not like he ever actually uses it. It was essentially just replaced with the name Darkseid when he bonded with the Omega Force. It's sort of like with Galactus, sure, back in the day he was some guy named Galan, but at this point he is practically a completely different entity and doesn't even think of himself as that anymore.

ok ok so let me get this straght... if Amazing Grace's real name is Amazing Grace then Powerboy's real name is Powerboy ? what kind of perents name there son Powerboy ?

#5 Posted by entropy_aegis (13611 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kid_Omega_Prime: Darkseid was always intended to be Darkseid,Uxas,Yuga Khan etc came much later.Even Infinity-Man was not his brother originally.

#6 Posted by AtPhantom (14465 posts) - - Show Bio

Essentially there is no general rule. Some have secret names, others have only one name, the one they use.

#7 Posted by Kid_Omega_Prime (1240 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Kid_Omega_Prime: Darkseid was always intended to be Darkseid,Uxas,Yuga Khan etc came much later.Even Infinity-Man was not his brother originally.

Ok so to make it more clear. Darkseid's name is Darkseid, Big Bear's name is Big Bear, Mr. Miracle's name is Scott Free, Orion's name is Orion and Powerboy's name is Powerboy is that right ?

#8 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (11724 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Ok so to make it more clear. Darkseid's name is Darkseid, Big Bear's name is Big Bear, Mr. Miracle's name is Scott Free, Orion's name is Orion and Powerboy's name is Powerboy is that right ?

darkseid's name is Uxas. Entropy was simply saying that it brought in/revealed much later

#9 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Big Bear started out as small bear.

#10 Posted by Freefa11 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kid_Omega_Prime said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Pretty much. I don't know who Powerboy is, so I can't comment on him. One thing to mention though, Mr. Miracle wasn't called that until he got to earth. The original Mr. Miracle was a normal human escape artist who called himself Mr. Miracle for his act. Scott Free met him at some point and was taken under his wing. When the original Mr. Miracle died, Scott Free decided to take the name and costume himself to continue the tradition, so that's why he's known as Mr. Miracle.

Actually, I was reminded that Lightray also has an origin story, and when he was a young boy he was named "Sollis" before he gained his light powers.

Otherwise, they tend to just have those names. They might change slightly over time though. Granny Goodness was simply known as "Goodness" when she was younger; it is entirely reasonable that Amazing Grace had simply been known as Grace before they tacked on the Amazing part. But again, it's not like with normal superheroes, where Superman really is called Clark Kent. Lightray's real name isn't Sollis, it's Lightray. His name used to be Sollis, a long time ago, but that name doesn't matter anymore. Everyone calls him Lightray, and that's how he identifies himself.