Question of the Week VOTING: Thoughts on a Female Ghostbusters Reboot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Question of the Week VOTING: Thoughts on a Female Ghostbusters Reboot (163 votes)

Sounds interesting. It's definitely on my radar. 25%
I'm not sure yet. I need to wait and see who's cast. 34%
Why change it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 42%

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

There's been a lot of talk over the years about the next appearance of the Ghostbusters on the big screen. From rumors of a third movie featuring a younger team to hints of it being a complete reboot, discussions on the subject have basically been all over the place. However, the latest bit comes from Variety and it's certainly interesting. Paul Feig, the director of Bridesmaids, is being "courted" to direct and produce the reboot. And the biggest news of it all? It'll "most likely" feature a female team! Naturally, opinions appear to be mixed on this potential premise, but we want to hear what you, the Comic Vine community, thinks about the latest bit of Ghostbusters movie news. You ain't afraid of no change? Or do you have a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality about the classic team?

That said, it's worth noting this wouldn't be the first time a mostly female team has kicked some ghost booty. In Erik Burnham and Dan Schoening'sIDW series, the following team took over when the regular roster became unavailable to battle ghouls in the city. And yes, that's the team's secretary, Janine Melnitz, leading the charge!

The poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET), so that should give you more than enough time to give this subject some proper thought before voting. After you vote, don't forget to travel to the comments and share your expanded thoughts on the question with us. Would a gender change alter the core elements of a Ghostbusters movie for you? To you, what are the key elements in a Ghostbusters film? And if you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and tell us which actresses you'd love to see in the movie!

Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday for the results and more! Do you have a great idea for a future edition of the Question of the Week? If so, feel free to share it below or via Twitter.

• 
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

There's not really much evidence to say there will be an all-female cast. Only speculation.

I voted the third option, though.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@frozen said:

There's not really much evidence to say there will be an all-female cast. Only speculation.

I voted the third option, though.

When you have Variety reporting that it's "most likely" and Paul Feig responding to complaints that it's a "gimmick" via Twitter, it's at least worth discussing. It's certainly the biggest news to come out about the potential next movie, I'd say.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I'm not remotely interested in any form of reboot, no matter the cast.

mcbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It all depends on the cast. Could be great could be terrible. Just gotta wait and see.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Extreme Ghostbusters in the 90's so I'll give this a shot too though a complete reboot sounds bad. Just continue the story with a...well, new story and characters.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I chose the second option, but I would prefer if it was male and female on the team, I mean I love the origiinal films but why not diversify a little.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

My ideal reboot of Ghostbusters would be if they formed a new story around the film's original concept: A humorous movie about blue collar people busting ghosts in New York. Preferably in a similar vein to the new Jump Street movies.

Just give me a new story with different characters. I don't care if some of these characters on the team are women, but I don't want it to be entirely women, since that really does strike me as gimmicky.

Overall, I can't really say I'm a fan of the idea. It would take a lot to win me over, especially with Paul Feig. Bridesmaids was fine, but The Heat was terrible.

My biggest fear is that they cast Melissa McCarthy, and she goes around doing her usual Melissa McCarthy-isms as she busts ghosts.

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

if bill murray keeps saying 'f**k this' to any script ackroyd sends him, let it stay dead. the franchise'll be a ghost of its former self. see what i did there?

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#9  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Why change it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted option two- I mean, if there are some top notch actresses on the team (That don't take the exact personality of the former team...) I will be down for it. But, otherwise, no.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Why make it a reboot? They could make it a spin-off, and expand on and use what the movies have already done, and do a new story, instead of doing the same story but with a different cast.

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I don't understand why it's a reboot either. Ghostbusters could expand to another city instead. Female teammates sounds great, but I still want male Ghostbusters. I voted for not sure have to see cast.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I think if they go with an all-female Ghostbusters, they should be successors to the originals, but not a total replacement.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait to see who's cast. Gotta miss Bill Murray though.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving said:

Like I've been saying they put love and care into it and it's a passing of the torch movie or even another branch of Ghostbusters I'll be fine with it. I know a lot of people are against it, but I happened to love Extreme Ghostbusters so if we can get new awesome characters dealing with the job I'm all for it.

I will say I don't want to see the Bridesmaid actresses in there though.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By butters911

After Harold Ramis died, they shouldn't do another one

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as I'm concerned, no Dr. Venkman = no maś for me :-/

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As with everything, it depends on who is involved. I honestly don't care as long as it's a strong story and it makes sense to the narrative. Bill Murray was the anchor though. I know it was mostly Aykroyd's story and writing inspired by his fascination with the occult and all that, but Murray made the jokes and the jokes are what made the movie a hit. The jokes and the fantastic special effects which were top of the line in their day.

That's the real question. Is there an actor today, regardless of gender, race, sexuality or whatever other metric you want to judge by, who can live up to the legacy of Bill Murray? That's a hurdle they'll have to pass. I don't want the dark and gritty reboot of Ghostbusters. I don't want some cheesecake actress who can't read a line of dialog to save her life but she is clearly hired on looks alone. That ain't gonna fly if this is a reboot and they're supposed to be scientists.

With the right set of smart actors, or at least actors who can play smart, and the right script/story this could be great. But I'll remain cautious until I have reason not to be.

RoastedRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there seriously people complaining that an all female cast of Ghostbusters would be bad because of a lack of diversity!? Every movie ever made is starring straight white men for christ's sake this is a step in the right direction.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

I haven't seen any of the previous Ghostbusters movies, so this doesn't affect me too much. However, why reboot it to begin with? Won't people who haven't seen/didn't like the originals stay away from it, and people who liked the originals not want to see it?

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MAZAHS117

I haven't seen any of the previous Ghostbusters movies, so this doesn't affect me too much.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IDW's series is great origin films are great. This idea stinks to me.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cassius_knightfall: Agreed. I don't like to criticize before something is out, but this leaves a bad taste already... I'd rather see another cartoon, comic series, video game, etc... But another movie? No thanks, there's a reason Bill Murray said he would never do another movie, because it's not needed.

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Kylie is life.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By Jenkale

all for all female team!!!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#27  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@joygirl: Yup yup. I want a sequel with the Extreme Ghostbusters cast. Maybe replace one of the cast with a new female member.

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great so the ghostbusters are gonna turn into 4 women talking about blowjobs and poo? I wasn't a fan of bridesmaids and I'm not a fan of this idea and the fact it's so unnecessary

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't matter to me, so long as the movie has the same tone as the classic. Let's be honest, it wasn't the ghost busting that made those movies so great.

ohrenclez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By ohrenclez

I guess i wouldn't be happy with a younger cast of the original team...so, as long as they're not throwing stereotypical jokes at you, like them yelling "eww, gross" everytime slimer appears, changing things up a bit with a female cast in my opinion would be awesome!

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Well it is broke R.I.P Harold Ramis. I have no problem with a female cast, depending on who is cast.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcbig said:

It all depends on the cast. Could be great could be terrible. Just gotta wait and see.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure why not? we need more female friendly comics

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

Do it? Don't do it? The originals ain't changing.

Worst case scenario: It sucks and I move on with my life. That's not that big of a deal.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

won't watch it if it has a female cast.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It all comes down to who they get, but I can't imagine any actor/actress nowadays that would actually fit being a Ghostbuster.

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if anything i'm pro feminist, but i don't think i would buy an all female ghostbusters team, it wouldn't feel right

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kidchipotle

I think if they go with an all-female Ghostbusters, they should be successors to the originals, but not a total replacement.

THIS

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#39  Edited By Nerd Of A Hero

Meh!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@arturocalakayvee said:

@amazingwebhead said:

THIS

Thank you for agreeing :D

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to see the casting decisions; the idea has merit mainly because being a Ghostbuster wasn't contingent upon being male, so changing the sex of the characters wouldn't make much of a difference.

@amazingwebhead said:

That could work pretty well, too. It would open up the "women doing a man's job" subplot, which wouldn't really exist if there was no male predecessors in the first place.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rogueshadow  Moderator

I just don't care, I feel so meh about it all, I've never been a fan, so I have no predisposed opinions on what it should be, I haven't seen it in years.

Right now I just feel, 'sure, why not?'