This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (39335 posts) 7 months, 23 days ago

Poll: Question of the Week VOTING: Thoughts on a Female Ghostbusters Reboot (162 votes)

Sounds interesting. It's definitely on my radar. 25%
I'm not sure yet. I need to wait and see who's cast. 34%
Why change it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 41%

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

There's been a lot of talk over the years about the next appearance of the Ghostbusters on the big screen. From rumors of a third movie featuring a younger team to hints of it being a complete reboot, discussions on the subject have basically been all over the place. However, the latest bit comes from Variety and it's certainly interesting. Paul Feig, the director of Bridesmaids, is being "courted" to direct and produce the reboot. And the biggest news of it all? It'll "most likely" feature a female team! Naturally, opinions appear to be mixed on this potential premise, but we want to hear what you, the Comic Vine community, thinks about the latest bit of Ghostbusters movie news. You ain't afraid of no change? Or do you have a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality about the classic team?

That said, it's worth noting this wouldn't be the first time a mostly female team has kicked some ghost booty. In Erik Burnham and Dan Schoening's IDW series, the following team took over when the regular roster became unavailable to battle ghouls in the city. And yes, that's the team's secretary, Janine Melnitz, leading the charge!

The poll will stay open until Thursday morning (ET), so that should give you more than enough time to give this subject some proper thought before voting. After you vote, don't forget to travel to the comments and share your expanded thoughts on the question with us. Would a gender change alter the core elements of a Ghostbusters movie for you? To you, what are the key elements in a Ghostbusters film? And if you want to go the extra mile, go ahead and tell us which actresses you'd love to see in the movie!

Be sure to check the homepage on Thursday for the results and more! Do you have a great idea for a future edition of the Question of the Week? If so, feel free to share it below or via Twitter.

#1 Posted by Frozen (19281 posts) - - Show Bio

There's not really much evidence to say there will be an all-female cast. Only speculation.

I voted the third option, though.

#2 Edited by k4tzm4n (39335 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen said:

There's not really much evidence to say there will be an all-female cast. Only speculation.

I voted the third option, though.

When you have Variety reporting that it's "most likely" and Paul Feig responding to complaints that it's a "gimmick" via Twitter, it's at least worth discussing. It's certainly the biggest news to come out about the potential next movie, I'd say.

Staff
#3 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (8271 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not remotely interested in any form of reboot, no matter the cast.

#4 Posted by McBig (121 posts) - - Show Bio

It all depends on the cast. Could be great could be terrible. Just gotta wait and see.

#5 Posted by bloggerboy (676 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Extreme Ghostbusters in the 90's so I'll give this a shot too though a complete reboot sounds bad. Just continue the story with a...well, new story and characters.

#6 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (4402 posts) - - Show Bio

I chose the second option, but I would prefer if it was male and female on the team, I mean I love the origiinal films but why not diversify a little.

#7 Edited by The_Tree (8398 posts) - - Show Bio

My ideal reboot of Ghostbusters would be if they formed a new story around the film's original concept: A humorous movie about blue collar people busting ghosts in New York. Preferably in a similar vein to the new Jump Street movies.

Just give me a new story with different characters. I don't care if some of these characters on the team are women, but I don't want it to be entirely women, since that really does strike me as gimmicky.

Overall, I can't really say I'm a fan of the idea. It would take a lot to win me over, especially with Paul Feig. Bridesmaids was fine, but The Heat was terrible.

My biggest fear is that they cast Melissa McCarthy, and she goes around doing her usual Melissa McCarthy-isms as she busts ghosts.

#8 Posted by i_dont_like_comics (776 posts) - - Show Bio

if bill murray keeps saying 'f**k this' to any script ackroyd sends him, let it stay dead. the franchise'll be a ghost of its former self. see what i did there?

#9 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (9528 posts) - - Show Bio

Why change it? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#10 Posted by _Atomikill_ (4471 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted option two- I mean, if there are some top notch actresses on the team (That don't take the exact personality of the former team...) I will be down for it. But, otherwise, no.

#11 Posted by leokearon (1928 posts) - - Show Bio

Why make it a reboot? They could make it a spin-off, and expand on and use what the movies have already done, and do a new story, instead of doing the same story but with a different cast.

#12 Posted by MK5 (119 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why it's a reboot either. Ghostbusters could expand to another city instead. Female teammates sounds great, but I still want male Ghostbusters. I voted for not sure have to see cast.

#13 Posted by AmazingWebHead (6390 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if they go with an all-female Ghostbusters, they should be successors to the originals, but not a total replacement.

#14 Posted by Mandarinestro (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait to see who's cast. Gotta miss Bill Murray though.

#15 Posted by FearTheLiving (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@feartheliving said:

Like I've been saying they put love and care into it and it's a passing of the torch movie or even another branch of Ghostbusters I'll be fine with it. I know a lot of people are against it, but I happened to love Extreme Ghostbusters so if we can get new awesome characters dealing with the job I'm all for it.

I will say I don't want to see the Bridesmaid actresses in there though.

#16 Edited by butters911 (383 posts) - - Show Bio

After Harold Ramis died, they shouldn't do another one

#17 Posted by SHAZAM117 (4801 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as I'm concerned, no Dr. Venkman = no maś for me :-/

#18 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (878 posts) - - Show Bio

As with everything, it depends on who is involved. I honestly don't care as long as it's a strong story and it makes sense to the narrative. Bill Murray was the anchor though. I know it was mostly Aykroyd's story and writing inspired by his fascination with the occult and all that, but Murray made the jokes and the jokes are what made the movie a hit. The jokes and the fantastic special effects which were top of the line in their day.

That's the real question. Is there an actor today, regardless of gender, race, sexuality or whatever other metric you want to judge by, who can live up to the legacy of Bill Murray? That's a hurdle they'll have to pass. I don't want the dark and gritty reboot of Ghostbusters. I don't want some cheesecake actress who can't read a line of dialog to save her life but she is clearly hired on looks alone. That ain't gonna fly if this is a reboot and they're supposed to be scientists.

With the right set of smart actors, or at least actors who can play smart, and the right script/story this could be great. But I'll remain cautious until I have reason not to be.

#19 Posted by RoastedRay (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Are there seriously people complaining that an all female cast of Ghostbusters would be bad because of a lack of diversity!? Every movie ever made is starring straight white men for christ's sake this is a step in the right direction.

#20 Posted by TheCannon (20051 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen any of the previous Ghostbusters movies, so this doesn't affect me too much. However, why reboot it to begin with? Won't people who haven't seen/didn't like the originals stay away from it, and people who liked the originals not want to see it?

#21 Edited by SHAZAM117 (4801 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't seen any of the previous Ghostbusters movies, so this doesn't affect me too much.

#22 Posted by Cassius_Knightfall (9846 posts) - - Show Bio

IDW's series is great origin films are great. This idea stinks to me.

#23 Posted by tparks (5888 posts) - - Show Bio

@cassius_knightfall: Agreed. I don't like to criticize before something is out, but this leaves a bad taste already... I'd rather see another cartoon, comic series, video game, etc... But another movie? No thanks, there's a reason Bill Murray said he would never do another movie, because it's not needed.

#24 Posted by Cassius_Knightfall (9846 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Joygirl (20795 posts) - - Show Bio

Kylie is life.

#26 Edited by Perfect 10 (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

all for all female team!!!

#27 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (14178 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl: Yup yup. I want a sequel with the Extreme Ghostbusters cast. Maybe replace one of the cast with a new female member.

#28 Posted by Leafx (68 posts) - - Show Bio

great so the ghostbusters are gonna turn into 4 women talking about blowjobs and poo? I wasn't a fan of bridesmaids and I'm not a fan of this idea and the fact it's so unnecessary

#29 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3733 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter to me, so long as the movie has the same tone as the classic. Let's be honest, it wasn't the ghost busting that made those movies so great.

#30 Edited by ohrenclez (84 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess i wouldn't be happy with a younger cast of the original team...so, as long as they're not throwing stereotypical jokes at you, like them yelling "eww, gross" everytime slimer appears, changing things up a bit with a female cast in my opinion would be awesome!

#31 Posted by Rev_Sulphur (1904 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it is broke R.I.P Harold Ramis. I have no problem with a female cast, depending on who is cast.

#32 Posted by RustyRoy (14858 posts) - - Show Bio

@mcbig said:

It all depends on the cast. Could be great could be terrible. Just gotta wait and see.

#33 Posted by CaptainMarvel4Ever (6594 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure why not? we need more female friendly comics

#34 Posted by SlamAdams (341 posts) - - Show Bio

Do it? Don't do it? The originals ain't changing.

Worst case scenario: It sucks and I move on with my life. That's not that big of a deal.

#35 Posted by those_eyes (10211 posts) - - Show Bio

won't watch it if it has a female cast.

#36 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3246 posts) - - Show Bio

It all comes down to who they get, but I can't imagine any actor/actress nowadays that would actually fit being a Ghostbuster.

#37 Posted by angelalfonso (1287 posts) - - Show Bio

if anything i'm pro feminist, but i don't think i would buy an all female ghostbusters team, it wouldn't feel right

#38 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (14009 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if they go with an all-female Ghostbusters, they should be successors to the originals, but not a total replacement.

THIS

#39 Edited by Nerd Of A Hero (1083 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh!

#40 Posted by AmazingWebHead (6390 posts) - - Show Bio

@arturocalakayvee said:

@amazingwebhead said:

THIS

Thank you for agreeing :D

#41 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3791 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see the casting decisions; the idea has merit mainly because being a Ghostbuster wasn't contingent upon being male, so changing the sex of the characters wouldn't make much of a difference.

@amazingwebhead said:

That could work pretty well, too. It would open up the "women doing a man's job" subplot, which wouldn't really exist if there was no male predecessors in the first place.

#42 Posted by RogueShadow (13687 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't care, I feel so meh about it all, I've never been a fan, so I have no predisposed opinions on what it should be, I haven't seen it in years.

Right now I just feel, 'sure, why not?'