Question for Marvel Fans (Brian Micheal Bendis)

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By McKlayn

Ok so I am generally an X-men guy, which means i love Marvel but with all the titles they put out i don't get out of my little X men universe very much. I am also fairly new to this website and it has introduced me to alot of different things the Marvel universe has to offer and I have been soaking alot of it up. However i guess i should get to the point, very soon Bendis will be writing "The All New X-men" and all i have heard is very negative stuff about him. Pretty much everyone is totally counting the title out because of him, now i admit the premise is really strange but it does peak my interest, I am just curious why everyone seems to dislike Bendis, most of his promo stuff seems very well written and i checked his Comicvine bio and he seems to have won alot of awards. So uh, anyone mind telling me why?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

He can't write a team book. I can go into detail, but I don't feel like getting upset on my birthday lol

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Sentry.

Sentry.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Comics is really no different than most mediums, you have roughly a group of fans that could be considered casual fans and a group of fans that could be considered genre savvy fan. Brian Michael Bendis is a writer that can excel reasonably well to both fans, but in the last few years his bread and butter has been writing for the casual fan. Now typically a company will want a writer who can appeal to both casual fans and genre savvy fans, so your getting money from both those types of fans (both types of fans have pluses and cons, savvy fans criticize and complain more but they tend to stick around a lot longer, almost as if addicted, casual fans make up bigger numbers, tend to be more positive, stop caring after a few months and go over to video games or something I dunno Angry Birds or whatever brah)  

Brian Michael Bendis is very polarizing online because he basically isn't that good at continuity or characterization, at least not to long term fans of the characters involved in his stories or any fan who is quick to appreciate characters histories and prior stories and value those things more than supposedly witty and relevant plot telling. His Avengers work is a great example of how his work can be hated and loved, because and this is something he knows, and admits and justifies**, he will take a character like Ares, Sentry or Noh-Varr and basically accentuate their character traits to get a blockbuster version of themselves? Ares, modern day god living in the modern area, more morally grey than Thor or say Hercules, has a son he wants to keep away from his god family, raises son as a solo father, works as a builder for great pay, in the shadow of his brother Hercules his fathers favorite. Is the spirit of war and knows all about all modern and ancient weapons. Reflects often. Until Bendis gets his hands on Ares, now Ares drinks beer and has a large axe and makes sex jokes with Ms Marvel. Some people will like the former Ares, some the latter. Sentry? Complicated, and superb deconstruction of Superman living in a Marvel Universe and one that had forgotten him some how? Under Bendis is crazy Superman lulz. Brian Michael Bendis basically takes the depth, quirks and complexity out of a character to give you a more accessible, simpler, louder version of the character. Characters will still have their flaws and quirks, but not they are RIGHT UP IN YOUR FACE REAL SUBTLE LIKE THIS. Another weird thing about Bendis is how he uses dialogue. Oh how does he use dialogue? Well basically... are you following? Sure I am following, explain already. Well basically he employs a writing device called Mamet speak? Mamet speak? You don't say? No I do, he uses Mamet speak. Its a way you can make characters look really close with each other? How? They talk over the top of each other. And finish each others sentences. Gives you the idea they are good friends and know each other well. At least when they arent going crazy and killing each other and even then. Yes even then.  

Think of Brian Michael Bendis like you might Transformers? Personally I think Bendis will do a better job than Fraction because Mamet speak would probably work better with X-Characters than Avengers, but... hopefully he will be tight with characterization. If you are particularly fond of any individual X-Men be prepared you may get a one dimensional version of that character, Oh and as far as success wise? Well thats where Bendis can prove so over with casual fans. A lot of fans of say Avengers and X-Men are fans of the themes and plots of those books.  Not the actual characters and their complicated histories. Makes a big difference how you receive stories. Hope that helps? Feel free to ask questions.     

**He justifies changing characters around a bit to make them more appealing and accessible - in other words catering to the majority which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but can be problematic when it shifts so far away from what established fans expect and appreciate.           

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Gambit1024 said:
He can't write a team book. I can go into detail, but I don't feel like getting upset on my birthday lol

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAN!! Hope you have a nice one!  
Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Blood1991

@Gambit1024 said:

Happy birthday ^_^

Now for this. I have given Bendis plenty of opportunities to make me want to read his work, but he assassinates characters just makes a complete mockery of characterization, and the characters history. He also ruined the unification of my two favorite superheroes which may never happen again, so yeah he is not a writer I enjoy.

Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Maniac2312

@Gambit1024: Happy Birthday!

@McKlayn: I enjoyed Daredevil for many years then Bendis wrote him. Guess I agree with SC especially about the dialog bit.

btw now that Bendis is off DD I can read it again =D

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By feebadger

In the first issue it is revealed that Beast goes back to bring the original X-Men back to the future to 'have a talk' with Scott in the current day. Hank. Hank McCoy does this. Seemingly on a whim. Messes with the whole time continuum. For a chat.

That's all you need to know about Bendis ;P

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9  Edited By McKlayn

thanks everyone, especially SC.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WarBlade539

@Gambit1024 said:

Happy Birthday.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

@SC: @Blood1991: @Maniac2312: @darkazrael999: Thanks guys! ^_^

@McKlayn: For a much more detailed answer on why Bendis is terrible, I highly suggest you talk to FadetoBlackBolt. He's very passionate about the subject, and very knowledgeable on the art of Bendis-hating.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Some people will poo-poo Bendis, but he's written some really nice stuff (and some stuff that wasn't for me). Regardless of anyone's personal feelings, the man sells books like crazy and produces lots of quality content (whether to your liking or not) on time.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By InnerVenom123

@JediXMan said:

Sentry.

Sentry.

This and Moon Knight.

He's written some good stuff before but holy f**k, Moon Knight and Sentry....

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By _Zombie_

@InnerVenom123 said:

@JediXMan said:

Sentry.

Sentry.

This and Moon Knight.

He's written some good stuff before but holy f**k, Moon Knight and Sentry....

Yeaaaaaaaahhhhh..

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WarBlade539

@Gambit1024 said:

@SC: @Blood1991: @Maniac2312: @darkazrael999: Thanks guys! ^_^

@McKlayn: For a much more detailed answer on why Bendis is terrible, I highly suggest you talk to FadetoBlackBolt. He's very passionate about the subject, and very knowledgeable on the art of Bendis-hating.

Where is FadetoBlackBolt? I haven't seen him for weeks.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gambit1024

@darkazrael999: No clue. Last I saw him was when the AvX #12 review was out.