#1 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7967 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoilers. So don't read if you haven't seen the movie.

Okay. When Banner first transformed into the Hulk in the film he was in the presence of Black Widow. After transforming he instantly attacks Black Widow and then Thor. This tells us that Banner hasn't exactly began to control the Hulk and will attack anything in site when in this site. Bruce knew who they all were, become friends with them and whatnot.. But when he turns to Hulk he berserks on everything and everyone on site.

Later in the film in the ending. Bruce appears during the battle via scooter and instantly joins the fight. He begins helping out the other Avengers and looks to be a great teammate, not attacking everyone in sight (other than Chitauri and Loki), even hanging out with his new teammates once the battle ended in the Hulk 'form'. Did I miss something or did Bruce learn to control Hulk within a few hours?

#2 Posted by handsome_stud (272 posts) - - Show Bio

He wanted to lose control the first time with black widow maybe...............

#3 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

There are two explanations; 

The first, and less likely (though more inspired by the Ultimate version of the character) is that because Bruce found Natasha attractive, the Hulk wanted to rape her. Like I said, not terribly likely in a PG movie.  

The second, and far more likely explanation, is that Bruce Hulked out just as he was expressing his immense frustration at being taken aboard the Helicarrier. Who brought him there? Black Widow.  
Which means, when Bruce Hulked out, all the Hulk had going on was; 
Angry + Don't Want to Be Here + Black Widow = Smash Black Widow for Bringing Me Here, then Smash Here. 

Later in the film, when the Chitauri are attacking, Banner has calmed himself, and put more trust in the Hulk not wanting to harm civilians (after the Hulk deliberately aimed for desolate land after leaving the Helicarrier). Essentially, Bruce was on good terms with the Avengers. So then when he Hulked out, in the Hulk's mind we had; 
Angry + Chitauri Are Bad + Avengers Good = SMASH CHITAURI and Help Avengers.  

People too often forget that the Hulk was made from Banner, he's not a truly separate entity. 

#4 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt:

I think another important distinction between the two incidents to make is that onboard the Helicarrier, Bruce along with the rest of the Avengers were being manipulated by Loki via his sceptre or "glow stick of destiny". When Banner was recruited Black Widow commented that he had not had an incident in over a year. He was living in a highly populated area in a high pressure situation (doing pro bono medical work for impoverished neighborhoods). In Edward Norton's movie, Banner was shown to be practicing jiu jitsu breathing excersises and meditation. I'd argue that without Loki's influence on the Hulk (which was shown on all of the Avengers and even explicitly stated to be his plan) Banner had some control over the Hulk. We saw that control at the end of the movie in New York.

#5 Posted by amazinglover (94 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy: I think that's because at the end of the movie he transforms on purpose and he's free from loki's influence while on the helicarrier was against his choice so he had no control.

#6 Posted by Murder_2120 (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy: You didn't notice Loki's scepter that was turning everyone angry? He was amplifying Hulk's rage. If he transforms do to shock or trauma it's like scaring a pitbul awake. Not a good idea.

#7 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7967 posts) - - Show Bio

@Murder_2120 said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy: You didn't notice Loki's scepter that was turning everyone angry? He was amplifying Hulk's rage. If he transforms do to shock or trauma it's like scaring a pitbul awake. Not a good idea.

Totally forgot about that. I guess that does explain it.