Punisher Respect thread?

Oni_Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have searched high and low on this site and can't find a Punisher respect thread. Anybody have the link?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Use a different site......

Oni_Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Oni_Bane
JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oni_bane said:

@allstarsuperman: Much wow, such help, too impressed

He was helping. This site does not have very many "respect" threads

Oni_Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fack Punisher. He's a murdering scumbag. He doesn't deserve to be called "hero" up there with the likes of Spider-Man and Captain America.

He's a great anti-hero though!! XD

In all serious I like Frank, it just annoys me when people call him a super-hero (not saying anyone did in this thread, just putting it out there.)

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's part of the Marine Corps.

Boom.

Insta-respect

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f98/t527917.html

This is probably the best Punisher respect thread put together. It's got everything listed from Marksmanship to pain tolerance. Comic Vine sucks when it comes to well put together Respect threads (its pretty much the only thing this site doesn't have over other comic forums)

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jaken7: I'm going to have to disagree. The Punisher is a superhero. He has a costume, he has a name, he possesses extraordinary abilities (while they're not superpowers, they are extraordinary in the same sense that Batman, Green Arrow, or Hawkeye's abilities are), and he uses those abilities to protect the innocent and fight evil.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JakeN7

@roboadmiral: You can't call yourself a superhero if you cross that line. It's just plain disrespectful to put him up there with Captain America, Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc. It's a huge discredit to the sheer amount of willpower those superheroes need to win the internal struggle with themselves not to end the lives of their respective super villains. You can't kill. You just can't. It's not about his allegiance or his costume. It's about that one simple rule. I'm sorry, you're just wrong.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7:

First, being difficult does not make a thing worthwhile. Simply because it is difficult to avoid killing those villains does not make it the right thing to do.

Second, your criterion has nothing to do with the Punisher himself. It has to do with his reference point to other people. On those grounds, if the people you list did kill bad guys then the Punisher would be fine. In that case the difference is no longer one of morals but of fitting in.

Third, "You just can't" isn't a reason. There is no meaning to it. It is only a statement of unwillingness to discuss the topic or justify a stance on it.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roboadmiral: It's not only a reference point, I was just stating that it's disrespectful.

The fact is, crossing that line is a no go. Doesn't matter who you are. If Superman did it (that's why Man of Steel's ending was...unique) then he wouldn't be a superhero anymore either. There's a fine line between superhero and antihero, and Punisher crossed it.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By roboadmiral

@jaken7: Why are they no longer a superhero? They're still protecting innocent people from harm and exploitation, they're still fighting against evil.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roboadmiral: Because they killed. It's amoral. Superheroes are supposed to be paragons of morality. Infallible in character.

Why wouldn't he be an anti-hero instead?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: You aren't not a superhero just because you killed. Wonder woman killed. Superman killed. Batman used to kill. People in the army kill and I would consider them heroes. Spiderman has killed. Aquaman has killed. All of them are still heroes.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Killing's amorality is largely based on the reasoning behind it. It is not only accepted that soldiers and police officers may need to kill in the line of duty, but it is demanded that in extreme circumstances they do kill in order to protect others and themselves. Ordinary people killing to protect themselves or other people is accepted. Heroes of a myriad of genres kill bad guys and their heroism goes unquestioned. It would appear the rule only changes for people wearing capes.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Anytime currently in continuity? And I think you're the only person on the planet that would genuinely refer to armed servicemen and women as "superheroes." Lol.

I told you Punisher is a hero, yes. An antihero, not a superhero.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JakeN7

@roboadmiral: Yes! Exactly! It does change for the capes. I know it's ridiculous, but it just does.

Besides, none of the people you described are considered superheroes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Batman hasn't killed in continuity and I'm not sure about spiderman but the rest actually have killed in continuity. I didn't mean they were superheros but they are heroes. And they are the closest thing we have to superheroes in real life risking their lives everyday.

Debatable whether or not he's a superhero but he can definitely not called a hero. And remember you don't need powers to be super.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JakeN7

@jayc1324: I never said he wasn't a hero, in fact I explicitly said he was. And those men and women are definitely heroes. Not of the super variety obviously. And no, you don't need powers. Batman is almost as pure a superhero as you could get. So yeah, I agree with everything you said.

Interesting, when did those guys kill? Who did they kill?

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Once again "it just does" is not a reason. While those people are not superheroes, I see no reason why the same rules of lethality should not apply to superheroes. A blanket statement regarding killing and superheroes is neither inherently moral nor practical.

Furthermore, your statement comes with the assumption that a no-kill code is inseparable from superherodom without justification for the link.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Superman killed dr. Light (though he didn't have complete control over his powers and mind at the time) wonder woman killed the god of war and aquaman killed mantas father and one of mantas henchmen. There might be more for wonder woman and aquaman but those are what I know off of the top of my head.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: That's right! I'd almost forgotten Trinity War. I don't read Aquaman, and I haven't caught up with Wonder Woman because I trade wait that book and haven't read the most recent volume. I did hear she was the new god(dess) of war though.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roboadmiral: This argument has run it's course. We're going in circles, and we're just plain done. Lol

I believe something that you don't. Oh well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Yeah and I can't blame you for forgetting about trinity war. It was a good read but finding out such a big event was just a setup for another event was a little disappointing

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Forever Evil: The Prequel. Yeah, that was annoying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: And Pandora kinda got screwed too haha

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I preferred when she was a ridiculously mysterious figure seen at the end of Flashpoint, and cameos in all 52 of the New 52 books. Knowing her backstory and putting her at the forefront of an event like that is pretty boring.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: especially when that event turns out to be pretty unimportant overall. It feels like all that buildup was a waste

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: For sure. The character isn't even bad, it's the buildup that comes with a seemingly multiversal being. Creator of the New 52? Only character that remembers Flashpoint and Pre-New 52 (besides maybe Flash and Batman)? So intriguing. Unfortunately she was just too......human.

Oni_Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Oni_Bane

@cf12793:
Thanks this will be really helpful in my upcoming debate

@jaken7: Punisher is a Superhero, regardless of whether he kills or not. Yes the correct term is Anti-Hero but he is still a superhero nonetheless, lets not split hairs here.

You guys check out our upcoming tourny

it will be me vs @pr0metheus

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oni_bane: I wasn't splitting hairs, it's important to me to make that distinction. It may be like "whatever" to you, but the kid in me finds it important to point out that line that's been crossed. It's done though, I'm not going to argue the point any further.

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@oni_bane said:

@cf12793:

Thanks this will be really helpful in my upcoming debate

@jaken7: Punisher is a Superhero, regardless of whether he kills or not. Yes the correct term is Anti-Hero but he is still a superhero nonetheless, lets not split hairs here.

You guys check out our upcoming tourny

it will be me vs @pr0metheus

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-478473-punisher-respect-thread-updated-for-real-this-time.html

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/vs-general/official-punisher-respect-thread-154260/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scans/sets/510165

Oni_Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: There all superheroes. Regardless of their moral code.

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oni_Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

You could always make a respect thread. Organize it well and use feats that people post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

@joeeddie said:

@oni_bane said:

How is telling someone to GTFO helpful?

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol. How's this a respect thread?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JoeEddie

@squares said:

@joeeddie said:

@oni_bane said:

How is telling someone to GTFO helpful?

It was an accurate statement. I didn't see any offense in it.

Remy_Geneva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand where @jaken7 is coming from, I don't know a lot about punisher but I know about his orgin and so forth, if we compare him morally to lets say Batman or any other superhero that fights to help people without killing (just for the sake of making a point, please go easy on me), on one hand Punisher fights for the good of the people, those that need help, ok great, same as Batman. But where they differ is the "punishment" in which they dish out to the criminals. Punisher has no problem ending the life of a criminal, whereas Batman recognises that these criminals have loved ones to that care about them, so it would defeat the point of helping the innocent as the families (not always I know but for the most part I assume) are also innocent.

On the other hand (and back to the main point), Joker has a Respect thread, Darkseid has a respect thread, so lets not confuse a respect thread for agreeing with a characters moral code, its only about appreciating a character for being a part of t a fictional universe and making it interesting and fun to watch and read.