#1 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it might be fun to post some old public service comics covers and you guys can make up scripts for the characters. Some of them already have lettering, but it's pretty boring dialog, so just ignore it.




#2 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

looks like fun. very creative and fresh idea for a thread.
the first one makes me feel very green.

#3 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

But what are those parents giving their kids to drink?
 
Tomatoes, celery, spinach, milk, eggs, sugar and a block of yeast...sounds delicious!  NOT!

#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15760 posts) - - Show Bio

Maine Sardines?  An actual electric company sponsoring the Atom??  This is weird!!  lol!  
 
Reminds me of this (although it's not as old ;)

 
Moderator
#5 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

#1 
Panel 1: A full-paged panel. A typical suburban American home in the mid 1950's. John and Jane Douchemann are in their kitchen, swelling with pride as their eight year old son, Billy, gulps down a glass of  an unknown blended drink. Jane is so proud, in fact, that she has already poured him a second glass. There are various ingredients on the kitchen table, including eggs, milk, and sliced vegetables. There's also a blender on the table. 
Caption 1:   Osterize, (verb) an event in which a participant's head is implanted between a couch/bed cushion after strenuous sexual intercourse. This is usually performed from a doggy style position; however, it is possible to perform an inverted osterize utilizing a missionary position. The term osterize became popular circa 2006 and originated from the ostrich-like features of the recipient after being osterized. --- The Urban Dictionary 
Caption 2: In this modern era, a boy must be weaned off of his mother's milk, and on to his father's bodily secretions. Isn't it best to start early? 
Caption 3: Osterize often, and fortify our lads against THE COMMUNIST THREAT.

#6 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:
" #1 Panel 1: A full-paged panel. A typical suburban American home in the mid 1950's. John and Jane Douchemann are in their kitchen, swelling with pride as their eight year old son, Billy, gulps down a glass of  an unknown blended drink. Jane is so proud, in fact, that she has already poured him a second glass. There are various ingredients on the kitchen table, including eggs, milk, and sliced vegetables. There's also a blender on the table. Caption 1:   Osterize, (verb) an event in which a participant's head is implanted between a couch/bed cushion after strenuous sexual intercourse. This is usually performed from a doggy style position; however, it is possible to perform an inverted osterize utilizing a missionary position. The term osterize became popular circa 2006 and originated from the ostrich-like features of the recipient after being osterized. --- The Urban Dictionary Caption 2: In this modern era, a boy must be weaned off of his mother's milk, and on to his father's bodily secretions. Isn't it best to start early? Caption 3: Osterize often, and fortify our lads against THE COMMUNIST THREAT. "
Ha, ha...good one!
 
If those captions appeared on the cover of a comic in the 50s (actually the comic was published in 1948, but close enough) I doubt if 1% of the American population at the time would have any idea what "doggy style" meant. They probably would have thought it meant sex with an actual dog.
#7 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"An actual electric company sponsoring the Atom??  This is weird!!  lol! "
I've got others from less known companies that make you scratch your head and say, "Did anybody actually take the time to read this thing?"
 
If the CVer's respond to this contest, I'll post more covers.
#8 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:

" @bx1 said:

" #1 Panel 1: A full-paged panel. A typical suburban American home in the mid 1950's. John and Jane Douchemann are in their kitchen, swelling with pride as their eight year old son, Billy, gulps down a glass of  an unknown blended drink. Jane is so proud, in fact, that she has already poured him a second glass. There are various ingredients on the kitchen table, including eggs, milk, and sliced vegetables. There's also a blender on the table. Caption 1:   Osterize, (verb) an event in which a participant's head is implanted between a couch/bed cushion after strenuous sexual intercourse. This is usually performed from a doggy style position; however, it is possible to perform an inverted osterize utilizing a missionary position. The term osterize became popular circa 2006 and originated from the ostrich-like features of the recipient after being osterized. --- The Urban Dictionary Caption 2: In this modern era, a boy must be weaned off of his mother's milk, and on to his father's bodily secretions. Isn't it best to start early? Caption 3: Osterize often, and fortify our lads against THE COMMUNIST THREAT. "
Ha, ha...good one!  If those captions appeared on the cover of a comic in the 50s (actually the comic was published in 1948, but close enough) I doubt if 1% of the American population at the time would have any idea what "doggy style" meant. They probably would have thought it meant sex with an actual dog. "
lol. I know. I thought I'd just let the whole Urban Dictionary anachronism slide. For the sake of humor.    
#9 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
" @xerox-kitty said:
"An actual electric company sponsoring the Atom??  This is weird!!  lol! "
I've got others from less known companies that make you scratch your head and say, "Did anybody actually take the time to read this thing?"  If the CVer's respond to this contest, I'll post more covers. "
Not really. GE has its hands in nuclear energy ... and NBC.
#10 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1: 
 
GE has come a long way, Baby!
#11 Edited by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 
Panel 1: A full-paged panel. An idyllic scene in Maine, USA, circa 1957. Doctor Sam Twitty is driving a 1955 Chevy Bel Air. He is accompanied by his teenaged daughter, Bertha, and Petey--his nubile male ward. Dr. Twitty has just pulled up to a 25-foot-tall, grotesque statue in the shape of a local fisherman. The fisherman statue is holding a sign that reads, "Maine Sardines Welcome You to Vacationland & Sardineland." 
Petey: Sardineland, huh? Thanks for splurging on our vacation, Doc. 
Bertha: Hold on there, Petey. It coulda been worse. Coulda been "Government Cheese-Ville." 
Panel 2: A small panel, set within Panel 1. Doctor Twitty is driving, thinking to himself. 
Dr. Sam Twitty (thinking): Damn it! There go next year's plans!

#12 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

 @bx1: 
 
lol! You're good at this, bx1!
 
I'll have to look for some more...and welcome to the Vine!

#13 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr: Thanks.
#14 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

This weekend is Dragoncon, so I won't have time to forage for more of those P.S. comics until next Monday, probably. 
 
But I won't forget about you.

#15 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

 #3
Panel 1: A full-paged panel. (No kidding.) Actor (and NBC employee) Alec Baldwin, having long ago abandoned his daughter, has decided to take his son to the General Electric Science Exhibit. The young boy is standing on a raised platform, surrounded by the 3 dimensional, holographic representation of an atom. Alec is watching the boy with a proud grin, holding what can only be described as the Sunday funnies. 
The Boy: Jesus Christ, Pop--this thing is a f**kin' trip!
Alec Baldwin: That it is, boy. That it is.
Alec Baldwin (thinking): And to think, all of these amazing scientific advancements came at such a simple cost: the systematic genocide of an insignificant third world civilization.
Caption (Alec Baldwin): Burning huts and Napalm fly-overs. It's the General Electric way.    

#16 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

Tee hee. That's the best one! 
 
He does look like Alec Baldwin...about a hundred pounds ago.

#17 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

I got kind of tired of the fifties.  So I set it in Alec's "Jenny Craig" future.

#18 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm real busy with all the Dragoncon chaos right now, but I'll try to post some more oldies but goodies on Monday.
 
I'm thinking 60's vintage this time, being such a big fan of the Mad Men television show and all. :D

#19 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1: 
 
Sorry but DragonCon keep be busy until now. I may not be able to look for more PS comics until next week. Sigh...
#20 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

I seem to remember something called "SprocketMan" from the seventies.

#21 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:

" I seem to remember something called "SprocketMan" from the seventies. "

 Where did you see it? 
 
Have you looked for it online?
#22 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

New York area. Late 70's/early 80's. They even had a tv ad, as I recall. He talked about bicycle safety; a serious issue back then. lol.

#23 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Then there's the Power Pack child molestation issue. Funny stuff.

#24 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:
" Then there's the Power Pack child molestation issue. Funny stuff. "
I like you, bx1!  You are a typical New Yorker. :D
 
(I grew up there.)
#25 Edited by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Kewl. 
Hey. What about McGruff (?) the crime dog? Did he have a comic?

#26 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:
" Kewl. Hey. What about McGruff (?) the crime dog? Did he have a comic? "
I'm absolutely sure he did. 
 
I know you're chomping at the bit for more of those covers. I'll see if I can get someone else to go though the stacks that they are buried in.
#27 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

lol. Now I feel guilty. I don't wanna make someone work if they don't have to. Some poor asthmatic kid, diving in to ten foot high stacks of dusty, poly-bagged comics--all for the amusement of strangers. It's criminal.

#28 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

Tee-hee.
 
Since you put it that way, it makes me want to do just that all the more. :D

#29 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Cruella Deville. I knew it was you!  
laughter.

#30 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey bx1!  Sorry I haven't been around. 
 
Busy, busy, busy...but I think I'll be able to put up some more PS comics tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

#31 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

O.K. Here's the next round...










The GE one is from 1946. The Special Agent is from the 50's. The Better Environment ones and the Lincoln Bank are from the 70's.
#32 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

 #4
Science Fiction:

Panel 1: Full-paged panel. A family is enjoying a hearty meal together. Through the dining room window, we can see that they live on a farm. (Note: This image is from a futuristic propaganda campaign.)
Caption: Food and the Land. Your role in the world food crisis.
Caption: This Thanksgiving, please fatten up your loved ones.
Caption: And remember; your Soylent Green products are made from 100% beef. Beef--and nothing else.    

#33 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

 #5
Comic Noir:

Panel 1: Full paged panel. It's a dark night in a desolate train yard. Rex Stone, a weathered repo-man is way over his head, caught in a mind-bending mystery. Tonight, he finds himself searching for clues in an old train car. (Note: Rex should be dressed as inconspicuously as possible, for instance, in a trench coat and fedora.)
Rex Stone (thinking): Yesterday I was an Honest John. A working stiff with a small auto reposession business.
Rex Stone (thinking): Today, I am a wanted man. Wanted for a murder I didn't commit. Attached to victim, a woman I hadn't seen in years, who's mutilated body turned up in a car I pulled.
Rex Stone (thinking): My dumb luck, I guess.
Rex Stone (thinking): The car belonged to a Victor Young, DDS. For the past week, I've followed his clues like a bird on a trail of bread crumbs.
Rex Stone (thinking): I thought I'd find his belongings in this old train car. I thought I'd find the murder weapon, maybe some bloody clothes.
Rex Stone (thinking): But, if that rustling sound coming from behind this door is anything more than some errant rodent on his nightly rounds, then I've thought wrong. Dead wrong.
Rex Stone: Oh well. Can't live forever.

#34 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

#35 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

 Yeah! That's really cool! Thanks. 
 #6

Kids' Mystery:

Panel 1: Big 'ol panel. The five kid team, Super Sleuths, are investigating a mystery at Matcher's Farm. Mr. Matcher looks on as Wikipedia Brown, the team leader, pulls a small strainer out of a pond. The strainer has a bit of debris in it. There are also ducks swimming in the pond. 
The rest of the Super Sleuths are also on the scene. They are: Dudley Washington, Jessica Ming, Sally Lovely, and Rusty Hornbreker.
Caption (Rusty Hornbreker): Hi. Rusty here. You're never gonna believe this mystery. It involves a bunch of stolen diamonds, a bag of duck feed, and a whole lot of sifting.
Caption (Rusty Hornbreker): So come along, follow us on this month's Super Sleuth Mystery: The Case of the Wayward Mallard!

#36 Edited by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1: 
 
I'm in the middle of doing some real lettering on the Mac the moment, using the fonts that I created, manipulating sound effects,etc.
 
This PC that I use for my internet entertainment doesn't have all my good stuff on it, so I just used plain old Helvetica...but it gets the basic message across.

#37 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Awe-friggin'-some! I'm always impressed by good lettering. The simplest choices make a big difference. Take that title font, for example. 

#38 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:
" Awe-friggin'-some! I'm always impressed by good lettering. The simplest choices make a big difference. Take that title font, for example.  "
Well, you are a very concise writer, bx1, so that makes for easy lettering.
 
The "real" project that I am working on is written by a screenwriter (sigh...), not a comic book writer. 
 
It's almost impossible to squeeze the lettering in without covering up the artwork. Grrrr...
#39 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

 #7
Folklore:

Panel 1: A page-sized panel. We're in a dark basement. Johnny Bright (an American teenager) is on a stationary bicycle, pedaling fevereshly. The bicycle is attached to a generator, which is itself attached by wire to a light bulb. The bulb is on a table. There's a man next to the table, watching Johnny pedal.
Caption:  

There once was a boy named Johnny Bright/ 
Who never told a lie/ 
Johnny only did what's right/ 
One night in the park/ 
He was knocked over the head/ 
And now he's gonna pedal/
Till the day that he is dead
Caption: Johnny Bright: The Boy Who Gave Us Light!    
#40 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr: I thought screenplays were pretty sparse, as far as word-count. And, forgive me, isn't it an editor's job to tell the writer, "You're using too many words per panel"? 
#41 Edited by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:

" @Roxanne Starr: I thought screenplays were pretty sparse, as far as word-count. And, forgive me, isn't it an editor's job to tell the writer, "You're using too many words per panel"?  "

It doesn't matter how many words an actor utters during a close-up. He could quote my wiki of Kevin O'Neill and the words wouldn't obliterate his face. :D
 
As far as editing goes, this guy doesn't have one yet! Hence, el problemo. Dark Horse has asked to see some lettered roughs. But both the artist and I think major book publisher (and the top-of-the-line editing talent that goes along with it) is the way to go.
#42 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio




#43 Edited by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr:  
Jesus. I can write poetry all day, but the minute I try to rhyme one ... it turns to sh*t. 
Let's see ...
  

Panel 1: A page-sized panel. We're in a dark basement. Johnny Bright (an American teenager) is on a stationary bicycle, pedaling fevereshly. The bicycle is attached to a generator, which is itself attached by wire to a light bulb. The bulb is on a table. There's a man next to the table, watching Johnny pedal.
Caption:  
There once was a boy named Johnny Bright/ 
Who never told a lie/ 
Johnny only did what's right/  
He was that kind of guy/
One night in the park/  
Well after dark/
He was knocked over the head/ 
And now poor Johnny's gonna pedal/
Until  the day he is dead
Caption: Johnny Bright: The Boy Who Gave Us Light!        
 
That's better. : ) Sometimes re-writes are inevitable. lol 
#44 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1: 
 
Can't fix it now because I'm at the comic store, but I'll get to it eventually, bx1. (I noticed that there are quite a few watchers on this thread, so I think the CVer's are enjoying your little scenarios.)
 
And you are not the only person who is embarrassed at the moment. :(
 
After bitching about the script I was working on yesterday, I discovered that I had the pages mixed up. The layout is safe after all!  My bad.
#45 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr:  
1.Thanks for the fix. 
2. Thanks to the watchers. I'd love to see some more interpretations. (Don't be shy, folks. Write somethin' wacky.) 
3. I'm not embarrassed at all. :D 
4. So ... I guess your impression of screenwriters has changed ... lol ;D
#46 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:
" @Roxanne Starr:  So ... I guess your impression of screenwriters has changed ... lol ;D "
Not really. This particular guy just got a pass..........this time. XD
 
O.K., everyone...if you go to Darwyn Cooke's forum now, I posted a fresh JPEG of Darwyn in his Pooh suit.
#47 Edited by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

 #8
Political Humor:

Panel 1: Full-page. Winky Wise, the Wonder Wonk is riding his magical bank book over the Rainbow Bridge of Bullsh*t, headed to the Castle of Classism. There are labels attached to each of the castle's towers. The labels read as follows: Ignorance, Jingoism, Homelessness, Poverty, and Fear.
Caption: Winky Wise Discovers ...
Caption: Money is Dead!
Winky Wise: Howdy Ho, neighbor! I'm Winky Wise, the Wonder Wonk. 
Winky Wise: Now, we all know that Communism is a repressive, corrupt philosophy. It just doesn't work.
Winky Wise: But what about our system? Is Capitalism working? Is it the only alternative
to Communism?
Winky Wise: By the end of this story, you will understand why all financial systems are bad, because money itself is bad. It is an obsolete relic from our brutal past. Zipp-a-dee-doo!

#48 Posted by bx1 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm. Maybe I went a little too far with that last one. It's just a joke, people. :D

#49 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@bx1 said:
" Hmm. Maybe I went a little too far with that last one. It's just a joke, people. :D "
Well, bx1, the watchers just keep on comin' but nobody else is making up stories.
 
I feel like one of those prostitutes who hang out their anatomical parts in front of picture windows in places like Hamburg or Amsterdam. Everyone is looking but no one is buying!  :(