Pros and Cons of Dark Knight Rises

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

Edited By RavenVice01

Pros: Having Venom as a pain killing agent rather than a steroid maybe realistic but it works. If Bane needs Venom to withstand the injuries he has then it would be understandable if this same narcotic can be used to help Bane in taking punishment from any opponent. I like the idea of Bane being calculating powerhouse who doesn't really have much of an Achilles heal rather than an addict who needs Venom to give him a superficial victory. Having the Lazarus Pit as a metaphor rather an actual pool of rejuvenation. I can kinda of see that. When you enter the pit as a prisoner you are condemned to your own personal hell like a demon however, how you choose to leave that pit can mean your rebirth as something better than your former self or something worse.

There is now a possibility of a Nightwing movie and the eventual return of the Gordon family tree like the deranged James Gordon Jr. and Barbara Gordon (Batgirl). Bane was a kick ass revamp that surpassed his comic book character as well as the 90's film version. I also like how Bane integrated Ubu's duties as Talia's protector during her time in the pit. Perosnally, I would have also bonded Bane's character with Dusan al Ghul because even though Ra's saw Bane as Batman's physical superior, he was disgusted by Bane's savagery and Ra's had nothing but distaste for his albino son.

Cons: Batman/ Bruce Wayne was made to be completely human which is a total reversal of what Batman is and what Ra's tried to teach Bruce. Ra's told Bruce that he become something untouchable and uncorruptible...a legend. Sure Bane's punishment reminds Bruce that he is a man and can be broken but he is resilient so how can Bruce take an eight year exile as the Batman because of the guilt he had over Harvey Dent. I mean Gordon's ending quote from Dark Knight was epic. It made me anxious to see what Batman will do next and who he will fight. Instead what do I get, he hangs up the cape and cowl and stays out of the game, gets his ass beat, makes a comeback then he forfeits everything he built. What the hell!!! Superman is the only wuss who takes time off from the superhero gig to find himself and sometimes he is gone for years at a time. Not Batman

Robin's origin has done a complete 360. His parents died separately under different circumstances, "the mystique" behind Haly's Circus is taken away and the name itself is not even any of the Robins. The ending was almost like Indiana Jones 4 where the torch was prematurely handed down to someone who is inexperienced. Bane's voice was still non-audible. He sounded like Sean Connery in a half ass Darth Vader mask. Only the subtitles on the blu-ray edition will do Bane's monologue justice.

Talia's character was incredibly flawed. Talia was always the loving daughter who was torn between by her pity for her father's destructive nature and the love she had for Batman. She had issues with her father no doubt but not on the same level as his her half sister Nyssa Raatko. Nyssa hated Ra's for the hell he put her in and would have been glad that he was killed so she could take his place as the head of the demon. Talia's character should have been integrated with Selina Kyle's. It would have made sense. The daughter who refused to follow her father's draconian methods of peace keeping chooses self exile but at the same time she can't allow herself to be discovered by the League or by her jealous sister so she adopts a new identity. Talia/Catwoman lives among the women of East End and decides the best way to readdress the balance in Gotham is by stealing from the rich and corrupt and give back to the poor in the hopes of establishing a middle ground between the rich and poor. Marion's Talia would have been the perfect Nyssa because she is a great manipulator and she wanted to surpass her father's crusade.

On a personal note: I know the Nolan loyalists or as I like to call them "toadies or boot lickers" on Comicvine will have something to say about my negative remarks about Nolan's vision of Batman so save your breath because I am not alone when I say "I don't worship the ground that Nolan touches." This guy may have revamped our interest in Batman but he dropped the ball completely for DC films. He had the potential to kick start not only the Justice League but other heroes we know and love from DC instead he clings to a realistic version of Batman which isn't completely possible and then leaves the trilogy with an unrealistic ending. After seeing the end of Dark Knight Rises, I had hoped this was all some bad dream or a fabrication brought upon by Mad Hatter's hypnotic inception skills.

We could have had a Justice League movie way before Marvel started the Avengers Initiative. Look at where DC is compared to Marvel. Green Lantern sucked but some things about it are salvageable. Jonah Hex stunk. Superman Returns sucked even though Kevin Spacey was the best Luthor thus far next to Clancy Brown and we are no closer to getting a Wonder Woman, Flash or Aquaman film off the ground. All because Nolan and his fans were so in depth with the realistic view of Batman. Because of these fools, we will have to wait for another reboot of Batman and the expectations will be set even higher and if one ridiculous expectation is not met then there will be no one to fill in the seats at the theaters. I ask that all non Nolan loyalists to stand up and let your voice be heard. We demand that DC take its rightful place as the front runner for great comic book movies and not allow the narrow minded views of any visionary to tarnish the legends of DC.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By RoboShark

Blaming Nolan for ruining the chances of other DC characters movies? Pffff

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By minigunman123

Or we could realize that since Batman is ALWAYS done according to the silly magical/completely fictional laws of the DC universe, and the "realistic" take on him was rather fun and interesting, and made for some awesome movies. We could also realize that alot of DC's heroes would not transfer to the big screen well without changes, i.e. Batman so far had to be changed to be more realistic, and Wonder Woman... I don't know if she'll ever make it.

Nolan's great. I loved his movies. But I also think that the Justice League movie is going to fail even under his tutelage, because DC's heroes just don't work well in live action half the time. Or more than half the time. Look at Marvel Studios. Look at the Amazing Spiderman. Marvel's on a roll because they have heroes that can transfer well to the big-screen. I way prefer DC overall, but Nolan took Batman in the right direction.

Joesoef95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Joesoef95
@Glitch_Spawn said:

I like to view the films and the comics separately. I like loyalty, but at the end of the day Directors are artists too.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I don't worship Nolan or anything, but I do love his Batman. And though I'd love to see a Justice League movie, I'd prefer they make one incredible trilogy than just make a few movies to make way for one movie (JLA) Not a diss on Avengers or anything (I'm a Marvel guy) but Nolan's Batman is just so f*cking brilliant.
KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KingofMadCows

The only thing I did not like was how the whole "realism" angle was strained to the breaking point in this movie. The microwave weapon in Batman Begins was pretty bad but some of the stuff here are just too much and really mess with the whole feel of the story and setting.

Other than that, I really liked pretty much everything else, although there were a few things that I felt ambivalent about.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Supreme Marvel

@minigunman123 said:

Nolan's great. I loved his movies. But I also think that the Justice League movie is going to fail even under his tutelage, because DC's heroes just don't work well in live action half the time. Or more than half the time. Look at Marvel Studios. Look at the Amazing Spiderman. Marvel's on a roll because they have heroes that can transfer well to the big-screen. I way prefer DC overall, but Nolan took Batman in the right direction.

Marvel had loads of trial and error with their films. You can't just say, "look at Amazing Spider-Man" and say everything they're making is great, it's because they've learned from their other films down the years and that's why they make them better than before.

DC haven't had that option because Warner Bros. were focusing on marketing Harry Potter and when that finished they would start releasing DC Films. If people slate DC for not making good films right away, they're retarded. They're going through their own trial and error now. Some films aren't that good, but am sure next time they will be from the lessons they learned. I.E. Green Lantern. Man of Steel will probably learn from Returns mistakes.

Avatar image for thebigredcheese
TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

I'm probably the minority on this one, but I'm still not liking Hathaway as Selina Kyle. She was awesome in the movie, but something about her being Selina just doesn't click with me. Bruce Wayne walking away from the cowl wasn't that great of an ending either (imo). However, it is well within Nolan’s right as a film-maker to change things up a bit. With that said, I really enjoyed the TDKR.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KingofMadCows

I did like how Nolan finally gave a nod to the Animated Series.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CrimsonCake

It's his vision.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jorgevy

they're good movies, but they are not Batman movies IMO

I agree with the OP in most of the stuff, but it's not Nolan's fault, it's WB who hired his vision, that he obviously presented before getting the gig and it's the crazy obssessed Nolan fans fault for wanting the whole realistic aspect so much

I get it, it's probably fun to see someone be a superhero in this way, it's so attainable, almost palpable. You can actually believe you or anyone else could be a super hero and that works perfectly with Batman (and with other heroes but those are less popular).

It's kinda why IronMan was so sucessful too.

and others just want to see a whole philosophical side, which is not able to be done fully without butchering a bit on the super hero image. Super heroes have their emotional and philosophical side, that can be worked into the movie, but it can't be the whole movie or the focus. That's what other genres exist for

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Deranged Midget

Oh I have a lot of cons with the film but I'd rather not bring them up here. Nonetheless, it was a solid and worthwhile finale to the trilogy.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rickbarry

Bane's voice drove me nuts as it sounded almost exactly like Sean Connery. It reminded me of Dragonheart. "How many dragons do you know?"

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By KenTheProfile

Man I like you but I got call bs on this. Nolan’s films are the only reason DC is would think about a GL film (yeah it sucked but it was made.) This trilogy is the going to start WB taking Superhero films to heart. Man of steel looks like it could be good. the ending was great for the films not for the comics what did you want Batman to keep fighting forever. In addition, Batman is Human that why he is a great hero, he one day will die but that makse what he does that more amazing,he amazing not because he fight crime or save life but because he does all that and his human. However, it could have been worse Batman could be with Talia. also think of this the third movie was the end everyone knew it; you cannot judge it like the first two films by its very nature it was going to be a lesser work. We all knew Batman would win and it would close the story. Nolan took Batman and superheroes in general and made people give a damn about them, which only a hand full of people have done.He gave use a great not perfect Batman Trilogy. His films are for now the final word on Batman in movies maybe some day will get the perfect comic to screen film we all want but until then We should be very happy with what we got.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mekboy

I only didn't like it towards the end.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By danhimself

@RavenVice01 said:

On a personal note: I know the Nolan loyalists or as I like to call them "toadies or boot lickers" on Comicvine will have something to say about my negative remarks about Nolan's vision of Batman so save your breath because I am not alone when I say "I don't worship the ground that Nolan touches." This guy may have revamped our interest in Batman but he dropped the ball completely for DC films. He had the potential to kick start not only the Justice League but other heroes we know and love from DC instead he clings to a realistic version of Batman which isn't completely possible and then leaves the trilogy with an unrealistic ending. After seeing the end of Dark Knight Rises, I had hoped this was all some bad dream or a fabrication brought upon by Mad Hatter's hypnotic inception skills.

Insulting people because they like something that you don't makes you just as bad as any rabid fanboy

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#16  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

I loved the film and Banes voice was menacing would be better if he spoke more Spanish like the comic/animated. The main thing I hated was the way they chucked in Robin they could have even used one of there names like Tim Drake as he was the more detective like Robin instead of his first name is Robin. I wish Nolan stuck to his guns and kept Robin out (although I hope eventually Robin can be added without ruining the film)

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#17  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

Plus doing a Nightwing film without it being a spin-off would be bad (no set-up), what should happen is we have a Batman film in it introduce a young Dick Grayson whos parents have died like in the comics Batman adopts him and after whatever big fight at the end of it Dick finds out who Batman is thats how it ends next film include Robin (with out him being too much in your face like Schumachers so it's still a Batman film) and have it end some way that time has gone past and at the end of a third film a grown up Dick decides to become Nightwing leaving Batman and getting a spin-off. Thats the only way Robin will work in film as thats the way it worked in the comics