#1 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

If there is one thing that is disappointing in the forums is this statement, "character x beats character y with prep". I am writing this to say that prep is not enough. It needs to be specified. I am guilty of this myself and look forward to changing how I make and answer battles.

For example, if the op says a character has prep he needs to state three things: how long is the prep time, resources, and what knowledge the character x has on y.

The prep time is all but mastered, however the knowledge factor needs to work. The op should state whether character x, has standard knowledge, ( what the character already knows via canon for example, Cyclops's standard knowledge on Emma frost would be high, because he works along side with her very much. On the other hand, Cyclops standard knowledge on sailor moon would be absolutely zero considering the two never met or have heard of each other, and exist in two completely different meta series), informed knowledge ( what the author dictates the character to know, for example: Dr. Doom will know that super man is weak to kryptonite), no knowledge (character knows nothing on the other) or all knowledge. ( the character would know everything about the other character)

Now for the resources.

The resources is the biggest part of the prep. The OP must state where the character is prepping himself ( for example: in home depot) and whether he is limited to that area. The OP should state if the character can help themselves to anything or if they have a budget ( in home depot, with a budget of $10,000). The OP should state whether they have help to help them prep (in home depot with a budget of $10,000 with black panther to help him prep).

And now to the commentator, when a character has prep, it should be standard that you state how that character wins by telling what he can do with that prep based on the time, resources, and knowledge.

Just a suggestion I hope you all will appreciate.

Since I made this a battle thread here's a battle.

Captain America is bloodlusted and is trying to kill Tony stark.

Tony stark doesn't have his suit.

Tony is in character and has prep. He has $2471.53 and is in home depot for 2 hours preparing.

He has standard knowledge on captain America.

#2 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.....and can a mod please move this to the battle stations

#3 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149 said:

to the battle stations

TO THE BATTLE STATIONS!!!!

lol

on topic, this battle is awesome! I wonder what Tony would do with 2 hours and 2k dollars in home depot. i dont know what home depot is but I assume it's some kind of shope for furniture?

#4 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

@Agent9149 said:

to the battle stations

lol

on topic, this battle is awesome! I wonder what Tony would do with 2 hours and 2k dollars in home depot. i dont know what home depot is but I assume it's some kind of shope for furniture?

Its a hardware store with everything you could need.

#5 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Agent9149: ah cool, that makes it even more interesting

#6 Posted by DaAwesome2 (266 posts) - - Show Bio

Def agree on this. Especially when dealing with Marvel/DC battles where they have crossed over. I find myself wondering are we assuming they're in the same universe/merged stories and what not. If so then someone like Captain America/Batman who always keep their database game up would know at bare minimum basic info about whatever villains they fighting. Unless, of course, specified that they have no knowledge of the other party.

I say this because I see random encounter posts all the time. But the only set up will be...Spidey swings across a rooftop...and bam..Deathstroke, on his way to fulfilling a contract (not Spidey) runs into him. You would think Slade would have basic knowledge of who Pete is and what he can do.

#7 Edited by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

HEY! You're trying to force comic book readers to think logically and use intelligence! How DARE you! Besides... HE'S BATMAN!!! LOL!

You are so right.... A full year of prep for a person of genius level intellect, who has no money, no machine shop, and no friends... Well, that year really won't matter all that much.... A little common sense could go a long way.

@Jorgevy said:

@Agent9149 said:

to the battle stations

lol

Home Depot is one of the kewlest places (stores) on earth!!!!!!!!!!! ALL kinds of tools; hand tools, power tools, riding tools, tool boxes, tool SHEDS, and tool mending tools!!! BUILDING MATERIAL! Lumber, sheet rock, rocks, soil, sheet metal, etc... Plumbing material, electrical stuff... HOME DEPOT RULES!!!

can you tell I like Home Depot?

#8 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

HEY! You're trying to force comic book readers to think logically and use intelligence! How DARE you! Besides... HE'S BATMAN!!! LOL!

You are so right.... A full year of prep for a person of genius level intellect, who has no money, no machine shop, and no friends... Well, that year really won't matter all that much.... A little common sense could go a long way.

So true.

#9 Posted by JediXMan (29545 posts) - - Show Bio

When details aren't mentioned, I generally assume "prep" implies a week's worth of preparation with the equipment typically found in the characters' HQ.

#10 Posted by Wolfrazer (6032 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say to add in the variables to the prep, cause even with a plan it could  backfire or work in another direction, depending on what the other character would do.