#1 Posted by Captain_Awesome85 (452 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been curious about this for a long time now. Our bodies gradually grow stronger as an adaptation to the stress imposed on them, examples of this can be seen at any gym or training facility. As our bodies repair the damage from this stress they adapt to become stronger to alive the stress caused by these outside forces. The concept of an increased "healing factor" seems to apply to all facets of the individuals body; including all things such as immune system and skeletal muscle. My question is this:

With a character such as dead pool or wolverine, where their healing factor is so fast they can instantly recover from such serious wounds as a gun shot or laceration, has there ever been an instance where force was applied(possibly from a stronger enemy) and their muscles showed this concept and they grew stronger to meet the challenge?

I have seen in more serious injuries that the strands of muscle have been repaired almost instantaneously from injury, but have always wondered why the other end of this adaptation was never(to my knowledge) shown in comics. It would make an interesting twists on some of the classic match ups though comics and I would love to see a character such as Death-stroke using this to its full potential.

#2 Posted by Sharkbite (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Characters such as Deadpool, Wolverine, and Sabretooth have been depicted on many occasions as demonstrating feats of strength that would be somewhat remarkable for a human being (overturning cars, kicking down wooden walls, jumping over 10 feet vertically without a running start, etc).

Deadpool specifically has been shown to permit his body to get out-of-shape through neglect in many instances. The amount of time that it takes him to rebuild his physique is substantially less than that of a normal human.

Overall, it seems as though they trend toward peak human condition, but they don't really exceed it. In terms of regular human exercise, you might say they 'plateau' their muscular growth at a certain point, rather than continuing to beef up until they can hold their own with persons of Superhuman Strength.

One might also theorize that because their body mends so rapidly, it deprives them of the chance of additional growth. Olympic Powerlifter regiments advise training differant muscle sets on alternate days (M, W, F for arms; T, Th, Sa for core) because the body builds back stronger if afforded a break between each strain. Following that trend, if the Healing Factor character needs time to mend, then in order to see significant growth, they would need to push themselves, then break for shorter amount of time for their excellerated healing, then push themselves again. And for that Healing Factor character, taking a few hours off could be like the weight lifter taking a few days off, meaning they would lose the gain rapidly as well once their body is no longer using that muscle, those proteins being absorbed to sustain the remainder of the self.

When I read the title, I thought you had read the second issue of Extermination. This starving group of refugees is taken in by a Supervillain and kept safe from the alien force that has destroyed the world. Later on it is discovered that the Supervillain has captured a Healing Factor hero and has him in the kitchen, cutting chunks out of his back, calves, thighs, and bicep muscles in order to feed all these people, with the hero regenerating the muscle tissue by the next day.