#1 Posted by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been thinking about this for a while but in actuality shouldn't Powergirl be more powerful than superman seeing as how she is not only a pre crisis kryptonian but isnt she much older that new earths superman so i was wondering is this a result of DC's usual inconsistent writing to keep the more iconic characters on top or is it that she isnt written well

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@eippihrellik: Superman has more combat experience.

In the New52 we don't know. Supergirl is only more powerful than supes because of her orbit around the sun.

#3 Edited by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: im refering to pre new 52 Powegirl and supes

#4 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@eippihrellik: First part of my statement is in reference to pre52. She might be stronger, but Superman is more experienced.

#5 Posted by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: thats arguable because of the major time difference between earth 2 and new earth plus her experience on new earth

#6 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

In the New52 we don't know. Supergirl is only more powerful than supes because of her orbit around the sun.

Supergirl isn't more powerful than Superman. She's stronger than he was at that age, but he's still stronger than her at the current moment in time, and now they'll continue to develop at the same pace.

#7 Posted by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: whats your opinion on the whole powergirl topic

#8 Posted by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#9 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Superman beats Power Girl and then after defeating her says she needs to dress more modestly and walks away.

Then suddeny Kon-El(Who lets be honest has been a lot more interesting than Superman the last 10 years in the canonical main universes) punches Superman in the back of the head and tells him to stop being such a prude.

#10 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

Superman beats Power Girl and then after defeating her says she needs to dress more modestly and walks away.

or hits on her like in the past

Powergirl < Supergirl<Superman = Superman.

#11 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@eippihrellik: I don't think she is much older... Either way, it probably was DC's usual bias with their flag name characters, because you do raise a valid point: if she did spent more time under the sun and she is older, she should be more charged. But maybe she didn't and we just think she did because of the whole Earth 1/2 differences

#12 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

try to use logic....Male body builder....female body builder...or athletic body?

#13 Posted by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: she is much older if you compare the age of Supes from earth 2 to new earth

#14 Posted by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: did you just try to use real world logic for comics plus WW is portrayed as supes equal and she is female so that makes your point kinda invalid

#15 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@eippihrellik: Isn't Powergirl much younger than Earth 2 Supes? if so, how can she be THAT much older than Earth 1 Supes? Atleast I'd assume they are around the same age - she didn't look that old Pre N52

#16 Posted by Lvenger (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

In the New 52 Supergirl is only more powerful than Superman was when he was her age. And she was never stronger than him Pre New 52, just less willing to hold back.

#17 Edited by eippihrellik (271 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: no powergirl is supergirl and super girl is older than superman so that would mean power girl is older than earth 2 superman its just that she was in stasis when her ship crashed to earth so she didnt age while in the ship. also power girl would have had to be on new earth while superman was growing so that would mean she is much older than him

#18 Posted by KingofMadCows (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_: But Superman and Power Girl aren't human and they don't get their super strength just from their muscles.

#19 Posted by a88378438 (3420 posts) - - Show Bio

wrong superman>powergirl>supergirl and new 52 powergirl was as strong as superman

#20 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

It ends in babies and a happy family

#21 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, Superman is the most powerful of the immediate Super family (girl, man, boy, and powergirl). Haven't seen much to change my opinion in that matter.

Also, I love how one of the pictures of PG is pawing herself >_> lovely.

#22 Posted by PowerHerc (84155 posts) - - Show Bio

No, she shouldn't be.

#23 Posted by pander1 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: Actually, post52 Supergirl IS stronger than post52 Superman. Not only did Superman himself say it (plus gave the reason for why she is being the being in orbit of the sun for 30 years without an atmosphere to filter the yellow sunlight like it did for him), but Reign also said that, even including the other Kryptonian in her reasoning, that Supergirl was the only one powerful enough to stop her and her other Worldkillers.

I don't know about post52 Powergirl though - I don't think she had the 30 years in close orbit around the sun (which, for Supergirl, was apparently PRECISELY so that she would be stronger for some reason which has not been explained - yet).

#24 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@pander1: Repeating myself... Superman said that she is stronger than he was at that age. Not at the current moment in time. She's stronger than teenage Superman, yes, but not adult Superman, and now that they're the same distance from the sun, they will continue to grow stronger at the same rate. Hell, in the most recent issue of Supergirl, she got her ass kicked by Wonder Woman. It wasn't even close.

If you can provide a scan that refutes that, then do so.

And of course, villains are always right in every assumption they make, right? Right? Oh, no, they're not.

#25 Posted by Lvenger (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

@pander1 said:

@Ravager4: Actually, post52 Supergirl IS stronger than post52 Superman. Not only did Superman himself say it (plus gave the reason for why she is being the being in orbit of the sun for 30 years without an atmosphere to filter the yellow sunlight like it did for him), but Reign also said that, even including the other Kryptonian in her reasoning, that Supergirl was the only one powerful enough to stop her and her other Worldkillers.

I don't know about post52 Powergirl though - I don't think she had the 30 years in close orbit around the sun (which, for Supergirl, was apparently PRECISELY so that she would be stronger for some reason which has not been explained - yet).

Incorrect. Here is what @Ravager4: is talking about

Note that Superman directly states that Kara's direct exposure to yellow solar radiation enabled Supergirl to become stronger than Superman was at that age. Then we have these scans

This is Supergirl basically lashing out at Superman whilst he just sits back and takes it. In no way is that proof that Supergirl is more powerful than Superman, not when the guy doesn't throw a punch in the fight. Here's a step by step guideline of what's happening

• Scan 1: Superman approaches Supergirl, talking
  • Scan 2: Kara suckerpunches Kal
  • Scan 3: Stunned by Kara's strength (He's never met a Kryptonian before, much less fought one), she grabs his cape and throws him into a tree
  • Scan 4; While he's down, she punches him repeatedly in the face. You can see he's not bleeding, nor are any bones broken.
  • Scan 5: Although he could have punched Supergirl after regaining his feet, Superman throws her into the air. He could have ended the fight with one punch, but he doesn't want to.
  • Scan 6: she's up in the clouds, having developed flight.
  • Scan 7: she begins falling. Superman could win the fight by letting her land. Instead he catches her (again, he doesn't want to hurt her) and knowingly puts himself in line for another punch.
  • Scan 8: She punches him into the clouds surrounding them. He flies around behind her and tackles her.
  • Scan 9: She knows he's not going to be beaten by her, and she flies away. Note he's only holding his face cause she's pressing on his eyeball with her thumb. That sh!t hurts.
  • Scan 10: He displays his far superior speed. She slams into him. He could have punched her once and ended the fight (again), but still doesn't want to hurt her. He even offers to help.
  • Scan 11: She suckerpunches him again...He flies through the Great Wall of China four times.
  • Scan 12: Oh look, he's back up. and what's more, he's not hurt. He just says 'I'm not fighting anymore.' He's trying to say he's not her enemy.

Finally in addition to Ravager's point, in Superman #6 Supergirl goes up against an alien nanite version of Superman who dominates the fight against her and is almost about to beat her when the real Superman arrives and easily defeats the nanite version of himself that was beating Supergirl. In what universe does that prove New 52 Supergirl is more powerful than New 52 Superman?

#26 Posted by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

Finally in addition to Ravager's point, in Superman #6 Supergirl goes up against an alien nanite version of Superman who dominates the fight against her and is almost about to beat her when the real Superman arrives and easily defeats the nanite version of himself that was beating Supergirl. In what universe does that prove New 52 Supergirl is more powerful than New 52 Superman?

Didn't Supergirl fight Superman while "possessed" by the alien nanoid. I thought his power was amplified by the machine's

#27 Posted by Lvenger (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Didn't Supergirl fight Superman while "possessed" by the alien nanoid. I thought his power was amplified by the machine's

Nope the alien nanoid was a separate being from Superman. It used his DNA and powers but at a much weaker level. The machine's power was nowhere near Superman's level because he flew it to the Arctic and trumped the nanoid version of himself much more easily than Supergirl could handle the machine. Note here the two different Supermen in the scan:

#28 Posted by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Nope the alien nanoid was a separate being from Superman. It used his DNA and powers but at a much weaker level. The machine's power was nowhere near Superman's level because he flew it to the Arctic and trumped the nanoid version of himself much more easily than Supergirl could handle the machine. Note here the two different Supermen in the scan:

okay but the nanoid apparently lost strength when superman broke the link between them. The nanoid that supergirl fought was a facsimile of Superman. This issue didn't make a lot of sense to me or any Superman number of the new 52 to tell you the truth

#29 Posted by Lvenger (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

okay but the nanoid apparently lost strength when superman broke the link between them. The nanoid that supergirl fought was a facsimile of Superman. This issue didn't make a lot of sense to me or any Superman number of the new 52 to tell you the truth

Yeah the New 52 doesn't make much sense when you look into it. It may be true that the nanoid clone may have lost some of its strength when Superman severed the link but if so, that shows how big the power gap between Superman and Supergirl really is. Because Supergirl still lost to the weakened nanoid clone yet Superman stomped it with ease.

#30 Edited by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Yeah the New 52 doesn't make much sense when you look into it. It may be true that the nanoid clone may have lost some of its strength when Superman severed the link but if so, that shows how big the power gap between Superman and Supergirl really is. Because Supergirl still lost to the weakened nanoid clone yet Superman stomped it with ease.

Yes but then the nanoid had to "compensate for the broken link" and "reconfigure it's host matrix" using Supergirl, whatever that means, and it was as though "all her surviving instincts had been totally stripped away". Then presumably, when Superman took him to Arctic that link with Supergirl was probably broken leaving the so called "indestructible nanoid" vulnerable because It needed human vessels.

#31 Posted by nerosmoke2 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

power girls boobs win XD

#32 Posted by Lvenger (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Yes but then the nanoid had to "compensate for the broken link" and "reconfigure it's host matrix" using Supergirl, whatever that means, and it was as though "all her surviving instincts had been totally stripped away". Then presumably, when Superman took him to Arctic that link with Supergirl was probably broken leaving the so called "indestructible nanoid" vulnerable because It needed human vessels.

The nanoid Superman had to beat her up first to get her to submit to the link. And even accepting that premise, it's highly unlikely that the power of the nanoid copy dropped by that much or that it was dependent on close proximity to Supergirl. It was siphoning off Superman's power in orbit just fine so distance to the target wasn't an issue.

#33 Edited by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio
@lvenger said:

The nanoid Superman had to beat her up first to get her to submit to the link. And even accepting that premise, it's highly unlikely that the power of the nanoid copy dropped by that much or that it was dependent on close proximity to Supergirl. It was siphoning off Superman's power in orbit just fine so distance to the target wasn't an issue.

I made that assumption because Superman destroyed it though supposedly the nanoid should regenerate endlessly.

#34 Edited by Lvenger (20040 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

I made that assumption because Superman destroyed it though supposedly the nanoid should regenerate endlessly.

Superman was also blocking off his nanite double's protocols I believe as well.