• 65 results
#1 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

Please explained Watchmen? whats the point? why?

1. it was boring, Rorschach was the only good character.

2. a super pointless pirate comic that felt like filler.

3. blue naked man

4. lmao, at the people who think Watchmen are above Kick-Ass characters. Rorschach's best feat was fighting in a jail cell and running around an apartment from cops. Silk Spectre and Nite-Owl 2 were panting and completely worn out after only fighting 4 thugs.

#2 Posted by Squares (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

How are you so full of fail?

Go read the damn wikipedia page about it.

#3 Edited by Farkam (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

2/10. Subpar trolling. Try harder.

#4 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

2/10. Subpar trolling. Try harder.

2 is generous, I'd give it a 1.5

#5 Posted by mightyrearranger (1431 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming you're referring to the film? If so, "Silk Spectre and NO2 were panting and completely worn out after only fighting 4 thugs". Did not expect that statement to end that way. :p

#6 Edited by Dernman (14612 posts) - - Show Bio

I had no interest in reading the story. It's visually unapealing to me and that has an effect on my enjoyment of comics so I never bothered. I did like the movie though.

#7 Posted by joyguy (89 posts) - - Show Bio

Got to 3 was gonna call you on trolling beat to it.

#8 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: @peppeyhare: @squares: Guys please don't reduce me to a troll, I read all the issues, and I just think its bad. and yes squares I look through the whole watchmen forum. don't insult me please. I honestly want some one to explain it to me. because I don't get the point, I don't get the "real meaning" of the story. this is a honest question.

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6037 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was a pretty good story.

I'm not sure if I understand why the pirate comic is there though. It was kind of distracting, and I kept thinking it was going to build to some kind of metaphor for what was happening in the main comic, but it didn't, as far as I remember. Did they include that in the film?

#10 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming you're referring to the film? If so, "Silk Spectre and NO2 were panting and completely worn out after only fighting 4 thugs". Did not expect that statement to end that way. :p

no mean the comic.

I thought it was a pretty good story.

I'm not sure if I understand why the pirate comic is there though. It was kind of distracting, and I kept thinking it was going to build to some kind of metaphor for what was happening in the main comic, but it didn't, as far as I remember. Did they include that in the film?

I believe they left that out, but I watched the film a long time ago.

#11 Edited by mightyrearranger (1431 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by mightyrearranger (1431 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by SheenLantern (6145 posts) - - Show Bio

Did they include that in the film?

An animated version is included in the Ultimate Cut.

#14 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@mightyrearranger: I honestly didn't even see the dirty it could mean until to late. lol

#15 Edited by silent_bomber (1499 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really a good person to attempt to explain it, but -

The book is supposed to be written from the standpoint of what superheroes would be like in the real world, each character is like a comic book archetype, and the story tries to flesh them out with real world characteristics to explain why they would act like they do.

Its also like an elseworlds for the real world, with the story running through real world history, but changed due to the addition of super powered beings running around (America wins Vietnam, among other things for instance).

The characters are written in a manner where the one you relate to the most says more about yourself, and your own beliefs than anything else, and if you ask a big group of people who the hero is you will get a number of different answers.

#16 Edited by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: @peppeyhare: @squares: Guys please don't reduce me to a troll, I read all the issues, and I just think its bad. and yes squares I look through the whole watchmen forum. don't insult me please. I honestly want some one to explain it to me. because I don't get the point, I don't get the "real meaning" of the story. this is a honest question.

I'm sorry but I can't take this thread seriously. If you want to understand it you have google. I don't see how anyone will change your opinion on the book

#17 Edited by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio
@sheenlantern said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Which is why the Ultimate Cut is the best version of the movie. Yes, it's 3:35 long, but that's a good thing.

#18 Posted by SheenLantern (6145 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
@sheenlantern said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Which is why the Ultimate Cut is the best version of the movie. Yes, it's 3:35 minutes long, but that's a good thing.

215. And yes, I agree.

#19 Posted by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio

4. lmao, at the people who think Watchmen are above Kick-Ass characters. Rorschach's best feat was fighting in a jail cell and running around an apartment from cops. Silk Spectre and Nite-Owl 2 were panting and completely worn out after only fighting 4 thugs.

Ah. This is the heart of the issue right here, folks.

I actually find it really funny that you love Kick-Ass but you dislike Watchmen - keep in mind that, if there were no Watchmen, there would be no Kick-Ass.

#20 Posted by danhimself (22216 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly didn't enjoy it all that much either....I understand it's significance and what it meant to the comic book industry...but (this goes for TDKR as well) whenever I started reading comics Watchmen had already had it's impact and all comics were dark and gritty so when I finally got around to reading it and TDKR it didn't feel like anything new to me...so yeah...didn't enjoy it

#21 Edited by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio

@sheenlantern said:

@jedixman said:
@sheenlantern said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Which is why the Ultimate Cut is the best version of the movie. Yes, it's 3:35 minutes long, but that's a good thing.

215. And yes, I agree.

3 hours, 35 minutes = 3:35. I wasn't listing it in minutes, which would be 215.

EDIT: Ah. Now I noticed the confusion. I accidentally said "minutes." I was going to list in in minutes, but I forgot to change the wording of the sentence.

#22 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

The book is supposed to be written from the standpoint of what superheroes would be like in the real world, each character is like a comic book archetype, and the story tries to flesh them out with real world characteristics to explain why they would act like they do.

Its also like an elseworlds for the real world, with the story running through real world history, but changed due to the addition of super powered beings running around (America wins Vietnam, among other things for instance).

The characters are written in a manner where the one you relate to the most says more about yourself, and your own beliefs than anything else, and if you ask a big group of people who the hero is you will get a number of different answers.

thanks for helping, and not just calling me a troll. So are some people actually in line with what Adrian does, or do we suppose Rorschach was the hero. In my opinion, it was Dr Manhattan as the bad guy, if he wasn't such a stuck up jerk none of this would of happened.

#23 Posted by SheenLantern (6145 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@sheenlantern said:

@jedixman said:
@sheenlantern said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

215. And yes, I agree.

3 hours, 35 minutes = 3:35. I wasn't listing it in minutes, which would be 215.

Uh, yes...You were.

#24 Edited by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman

Be careful with your words as you may anger a lot of fanboys. Though I can agree with all your points, the comic book wasn't as bad as you make it seem. Watchmen is very overrated and known to be one of the best comic books.

Very well written sir!

#26 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
@allstarsuperman said:

Ah. This is the heart of the issue right here, folks.

I actually find it really funny that you love Kick-Ass but you dislike Watchmen - keep in mind that, if there were no Watchmen, there would be no Kick-Ass.

I agree, watchmen change the comic world. and heck Millar even has Hit-Girl say she wants a pocket laser. But n point number 4, are the characters lot more impressive in before watchmen? cause they not even kick ass level other then Adrian.

#27 Posted by Squares (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: No, seriously, wikipedia. It'll explain it to you, and you won't have to waste anyone's time.

#28 Posted by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks for helping, and not just calling me a troll. So are some people actually in line with what Adrian does, or do we suppose Rorschach was the hero. In my opinion, it was Dr Manhattan as the bad guy, if he wasn't such a stuck up jerk none of this would of happened.

"Stuck of jerk?" That's a very simplistic way to describe Manhattan. He was detaching himself from humanity, and was finding it hard to empathize with them on an emotional level.

This book is probably for you.

#29 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly didn't enjoy it all that much either....I understand it's significance and what it meant to the comic book industry...but (this goes for TDKR as well) whenever I started reading comics Watchmen had already had it's impact and all comics were dark and gritty so when I finally got around to reading it and TDKR it didn't feel like anything new to me...so yeah...didn't enjoy it

this could be my problem as well.

#30 Edited by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree, watchmen change the comic world. and heck Millar even has Hit-Girl say she wants a pocket laser. But n point number 4, are the characters lot more impressive in before watchmen? cause they not even kick ass level other then Adrian.

Depends on which characters you're talking about. It's also worth mentioning that Adrian and Rorschach are the only characters who stayed in shape; the others were all retired. Keep that in mind.

Comics vs comics? Debatable. Movie vs movie? Watchmen characters displayed very good feats in the movies (except Manhattan, whose feats were the same, and Ozymandias - who I actually thought was more impressive in the comics).

#31 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@allstarsuperman: No, seriously, wikipedia. It'll explain it to you, and you won't have to waste anyone's time.

im in general discussion on a comic web site, wasting time is what I do, if you don't want time wasted why take the time to call me a troll and what not? this is a website to talk about comics, that's what im here to do.

#32 Posted by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio

This is quite accurate. I find that this is true for the majority of Alan Moore's stories - the character you root for, or the one you identify with, says more about you than the story.

I suppose it's about what you, as the reader, can take from the story.

#33 Posted by mightyrearranger (1431 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread just made me want to read LoEG all over again. :) Mr. Hyde, here I come!

#34 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
@allstarsuperman said:

Depends on which characters you're talking about. It's also worth mentioning that Adrian and Rorschach are the only characters who stayed in shape; the others were all retired. Keep that in mind.

Comics vs comics? Debatable. Movie vs movie? Watchmen characters displayed very good feats in the movies (except Manhattan, whose feats were the same, and Ozymandias - who I actually thought was more impressive in the comics).

ill read before watchmen, but as of now, Hit-girl could beat everyone but maybe Adrian, and of course Manhattan. I plan on watching the movie for battle forum sake, and heck maybe I will like it a second watch.

#35 Posted by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman:

I recommend trying to watch the Ultimate Cut of the movie. You might find it boring, since there are a lot of lengthy scenes that might not have been completely necessary, but I felt that those scenes did a good job of exploring the characters.

This thread just made me want to read LoEG all over again. :) Mr. Hyde, here I come!

Ugh... why'd you have to remind me of that scene? -_-

Also, Captain Nemo was my favorite of the group.

#36 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

@allstarsuperman:

I recommend trying to watch the Ultimate Cut of the movie. You might find it boring, since there are a lot of lengthy scenes that might not have been completely necessary, but I felt that those scenes did a good job of exploring the characters.

ill see what I can do.

#37 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

What? I related to almost all of them. What does it mean about me... TELL ME!

In alphabetical order

Comedian

Dr.Manhattan

NiteOwl

Ozymedias

Rorschach

( +)

#38 Edited by mightyrearranger (1431 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Haha, sorry! I liked Hyde, but there was definitely some over the top stuff in there that my impressionable teenage mind tried to block out for as long as possible.

And Nemo is certainly a great choice too! Admirable taste, good sir. :)

#39 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

What in the world does Kick-Ass have to do with any of this btw?

#40 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber said:

In alphabetical order

Comedian

Dr.Manhattan

NiteOwl

Ozymedias

Rorschach

( +)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! completely backwards, sorry I don't want to flame the thread up or whatever, but comedian was nasty, he was a rapist and a pregnant lady killer, but they still tried to pretend he was a hero in a way.

#41 Edited by JediXMan (29286 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Haha, sorry! I liked Hyde, but there was definitely some over the top stuff in there that my impressionable teenage mind tried to block out for as long as possible.

And Nemo is certainly a great choice too! Admirable taste, good sir. :)

Eh. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (referring to the Invisible Man, by the way).

Nemo was a badass right to the end, as was his daughter.

#42 Posted by Squares (4696 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

im in general discussion on a comic web site, wasting time is what I do, if you don't want time wasted why take the time to call me a troll and what not? this is a website to talk about comics, that's what im here to do.

I never called you a troll, genius.

#43 Edited by silent_bomber (1499 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@silent_bomber said:

Is Adrian the Hero? well, the guy did possibly save humanity from nuclear holocaust, feasibly saving the lies of billions, but he did it through trickery, lies, and mass murder. Its down to the reader whether they think he was justified or not.

Rorschach stands up for what he believes in, and will not steer away from that for a second, but he is also completely crazy, obsessive, and can only see everything in black and white, good or bad. In his attack on crime he only ever deals with the symptoms and not the disease so to speak, he's reactive and has nowhere near the impact on the world that Ozy had. Also, if he'd had his way at the end then those people would've died for no reason and the world would be back to square one again.

Night Owl is probably the most sympathetic, but he has only really become the hero due to his own inadequacies, as a means of escaping from his boring life of underachievement, and not being noticed (he puts on the costume because he wants to be someone else and in doing so he's somewhat running away from his real life problems).

Dr Manhattan's story is basically saying that if someone truly gained the powers of a god, saw things that no other human could conceive or understand, experienced things nobody else could, then that person would probably no longer be able to relate of bond with other human beings anymore, worrying about the troubles of the world would be like worrying about an Ants nest for them.

@yung_ancient_one said:

@silent_bomber said:

Split personality Syndrome?

Seriously though, yeah, I think you probably just have a more neutral/tolerant viewpoint of other people's actions.

Kind of like the Big Lebowski

#44 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

What in the world does Kick-Ass have to do with any of this btw?

Wardemon32 and me have a little rivalry, between Hit-girl and watchmen characters. I don't see how they could possibly win, unless having better feats in before watchmen.

#45 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

@yung_ancient_one said:

@silent_bomber said:

In alphabetical order

Comedian

Dr.Manhattan

NiteOwl

Ozymedias

Rorschach

( +)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! completely backwards, sorry I don't want to flame the thread up or whatever, but comedian was nasty, he was a rapist and a pregnant lady killer, but they still tried to pretend he was a hero in a way.

I. I am not going to get mad at all or start a flame war.

II. I related to the Comedian on his view that life is a complete joke and has no meaning. However, I do not want to live the life-style he was living. I fall into the category of Forrest Gump, of the idea that if life is just there and truly has no meaning for ever existing then the fact that one exists at all is a miracle in itself.

III. I am not trying to make Comedian sound like an angel but for me every single character in the movie was pretty much irredeemable.

IV. Comedian killed a pregnant woman but it was almost a caught up in the moment act. He quickly almost puts the blame on Dr. Manhattan for not stopping him and the Comedian was intoxicated when he committed that terrible act

V. The Comedian technically did not ever rape anyone, to my knowledge. He attempted too but one may be able to argue it. She did literally come back for more.

VI. Roschach was one of the more appealing characters but he too let himself fall into the darkness level a man can get and had his own twisted idea of justice as did the Comedian and Ozymedias did.

VII. NiteOwl was probably the least jaded hero but he still felt completely jaded from being such a whimp. I disliked him for being so whimpy and not living in the moment but I related to him for trying most desperately to uphold some pure idea of hope and being a HERO.

VIII. Ozymedias was twisted as the rest of the characters were but the idea of focusing on statistics and the concept of peace only being a reality by having everyone share one common enemy was slightly... understandable.

IX. Now that I think about it I guess Dr. Manhattan is the one I related to the most. I can't think of anything negative about him. He was literally different from anyone else in the story and viewed the world in a completely different way and although he lost the value of life, he was able to find it at the end.

X. Recap, I related to Comedians idea that life is just one big joke, I related to NiteOwl desperately clinging on to an idea of hope, I related to Ozymedias as to having a understandable point of view of the ends justifying the means, I related to Roschach idea that the truth is the truth and there is no such thing as good and evil just truth about the levels of evil of man, but Dr. Manhattan was the most relatable who was a complete agnostic feeling lost, alone, and without a place to belong; which leads me to my last point.

XI. The Watchmen is good movie because of the concepts of life, death, justice, ideals, morals, and values that come to question by each characters actions. A LOT of my friends hate the movie but I genuinely loved it. Although, there have been times where I literally need to turn it off because I feel nauseous.

( +)

#46 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Adrian the Hero? well, the guy did possibly save humanity from nuclear holocaust, feasibly saving the lies of billions, but he did it through trickery, lies, and mass murder. Its down to the reader whether they think he was justified or not.

Rorschach stands up for what he believes in, and will not steer away from that for a second, but he is also completely crazy, obsessive, and can only see everything in black and white, good or bad. In his attack on crime he only ever deals with the symptoms and not the disease so to speak, he's reactive and has nowhere near the impact on the world that Ozy had. Also, if he'd had his way at the end then those people would've died for no reason and the world would be back to square one again.

Night Owl is probably the most sympathetic, but he has only really become the hero due to his own inadequacies, as a means of escaping from his boring life of underachievement, and not being noticed (he puts on the costume because he wants to be someone else and in doing so he's somewhat running away from his real life problems).

Dr Manhattan's story is basically saying that if someone truly gained the powers of a god, saw things that no other human could conceive or understand, experienced things nobody else could, then that person would probably no longer be able to relate of bond with other human beings anymore, worrying about the troubles of the world would be like worrying about an Ants nest for them.

@yung_ancient_one said:

@silent_bomber said:

Split personality Syndrome?

Seriously though, yeah, I think you probably just have a more neutral/tolerant viewpoint of other people's actions.

Kind of like the Big Lebowski

I. I never thought of Roschach like that. It was fairly similar but still completely different if that makes sense.

II. Split personality syndrome... well that would explain all the extra voices in my head and why it can take me forever to make a decision.

III. In all seriousness yeah, neutral/tolerant viewpoint sounds right. It would explain why I am always starting controversial topics in one of my English classes.

IV. After explaining myself to Allstar I realized I cheered the most for Dr. Manhattan although I did cheer for other or to the very least understood their actions.

What does me ultimately picking Dr. Manhattan represent in your opinion?

Who did you relate too the most or cheered for the most, or the very least understood the most?

( +)

#47 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19523 posts) - - Show Bio

@silent_bomber: I am curious to who you see as the Hero and who as the Villain?

#49 Edited by PapiNacho (2337 posts) - - Show Bio

Also this comic was defining for its age, kind of like Star Wars or Dragon Ball, it did it first in a big way. Also that confrontation between Ozzy and Manhattan was amazing. The injustice comic kind of borrowed some of its themes in its finale.

#50 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: It's all good. Have a good night... or day depending where your at. It's 10:30 in LA.

( +)