Pirated copies, acceptable or no-go?

Avatar image for antarktischer_ureinwohner
Antarktischer_Ureinwohner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So last time I went to the comic book shop and came back with a load of new books, and much less money, a friend of mine, a comic fan himself, asked why the heck I put so much money into this when there are plenty of ways to get comics online without paying for it. Not that he doesn't buy any books at all, but the majority of his books are downloaded. Now of course do I know that downloading that stuff is illegal and it's against copy right, but much like streaming videos a lot of people do it and I just wanted to know what you guys think of downloading scans and pirated digital copies. Is it ok if you still buy books or is it an absolute no-go, or do you even think that it is actually ok in general even if you don't buy stuff at all?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

No. The only instance I find acceptable is if you do it before going to buy it anyway. Even then its debatable.

chocobojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By chocobojam

It depends on what kind of fan or collector are you. I mean, there are fans who enjoy reading comics for the sake of story only and there are also fans that enjoy owning the actual book itself.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmashBrawler

I never do it.

Some people have told me that one of it's advantages is that you can read the comic before buying it to decide whether it's worth it or not, but I it doesn't feel right either.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Antarktischer_Ureinwohner said:

So last time I went to the comic book shop and came back with a load of new books, and much less money, a friend of mine, a comic fan himself, asked why the heck I put so much money into this when there are plenty of ways to get comics online without paying for it. Not that he doesn't buy any books at all, but the majority of his books are downloaded. Now of course do I know that downloading that stuff is illegal and it's against copy right, but much like streaming videos a lot of people do it and I just wanted to know what you guys think of downloading scans and pirated digital copies. Is it ok if you still buy books or is it an absolute no-go, or do you even think that it is actually ok in general even if you don't buy stuff at all?

I don't know if streaming videos is illegal on your part. That's why I believe many people watch those as opposed to downloading what ever their streaming via download engine (rapidshare,mediafire,hotfile etc.) or torrenting. There is copyrighted material even on youtube between movies and shows and music but it's not actually criminal on your part to listen or watch, the only person that will have an issue is whoever is uploading. As far as downloading comics, it's not only illegal but it's not easy to do anymore. There used to be alot more options available but the FBI and companies that are losing money are cracking down on all types of downloads,and download engines,and p2p networks etc. I wouldn't let anyone tell you that downloads are away to go and to be honest I think within the next couple of years, you may not be able to get them at all, but comics will still be going strong. I'd say stick to paying for them.
Isobel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Isobel

It's never acceptable. If you love comic books, you should buy them.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Billy Batson
No Caption Provided

BB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, to those bringing in the "illegal"-comments, maybe I haven't said this clear enough, I'm not aiming on the legal/illegal-side of the topic but more on the ethical-side. Is it for you and your consience ok to download comics, or what circumstances do make it ok for you, like overpriced stuff or "just watching into it".

Me for my part I love collecting the books and so I wouldn't download comics on a regular base, but I gotta admit that it is kind of tempting when I'm thinking of looking into a new series that I am not sure of buying at the time, kind of "if it's good I'm buying it, if not I haven't lost any money".

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

I wonder why some have a problem when others download something but not when they borrow stuff from the library.
BB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Billy Batson: so you are one of those who download comics?

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jorgevy

Some people download copies of what they already own so: 1) they don't have to touch/open the paper issues, therefore not ruining them 2) they can read them everywhere (laptop for instance) 3) it's easier to take scans or to search for something specific

in those cases, when you already own the book, getting a pirated copy is OK on my view, since you already paid for the book, and you're only getting the dgiital copy so you can have advantages

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#12  Edited By Joygirl

I buy all the titles I follow, all the new stuff. But old back issues and things I'm not sure about I *cough*DEFINITELY DON'T*cough* download. Comics are EXPENSIVE nowadays, insanely so. I can get a two hour long movie for two bucks at a pawn shop, or a 23-page comic that I'll read in 15 minutes for three? That just seems absurd. Comic companies already get massive revenue via ads as well, and even when I BUY older trades I buy them used, which doesn't give the company any noney anyway. Once I realized that it seemed silly to pay some random guy for older issues that aren't in circulation anyway... even though I STILL TOTALLY DON'T *coughcough*.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can't afford it, do without. Switch to a cheaper phone plan. Use less electricity. Cancel Netflix. Get a better job. Don't buy thirty dollars worth of snacks and soda a month. In retail, theft means higher prices. You're basically ripping off actual consumers who save their hard earned money to afford a simple luxury.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Onemoreposter

People only have so much money. AFOM spends semi-regular money on collecting comics and trades and buys a few monthlies when something really good is coming out, but has been known to dl some things. Should everyone be charged to hear Beethoven's Fur Elise or to see the Sistine chapel? I know it's not quite the same but it is all art. I have the benefit of being comfortable financially, I'm only a college student. Some people are quite poor though. Others have families and children to cloth and feed and buy braces for and put through school. They can't afford to drop cash on comics. Is it fair that these people should never get to enjoy the plethora of great stories in the comic medium just because they can't afford them? I don't know. It is indeed a sticky subject.

My best advice is you should support the industry, the whole industry, if you can. If you have a local comic book shop, maybe buy more than your comics there. Alot of shops sell games, movies, clothes, and collectibles among other things. Go to the theater to see comic book movies. Turn on the tv occasionally when a comic book show is on. Right now Marvel and DC are both owned by giant multimedia corporations. They aren't exactly hurting for money and comics aren't in danger of going anywhere.

Spend what you can but you don't have to go over board. If at the end of the day you dl some books or trades that you weren't able to pick up, well, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Oh, and people who say it's never acceptable oughta get off there high horses.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WARLOCK2792

............................Meh

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Billy Batson

@sesquipedalophobe said:

You're basically ripping off actual consumers who save their hard earned money to afford a simple luxury.

Unless they are old back issues from a few decades ago that you can't get any other way besides hunting :p
BB

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Billy Batson said:

@sesquipedalophobe said:

You're basically ripping off actual consumers who save their hard earned money to afford a simple luxury.

Unless they are old back issues from a few decades ago that you can't get any other way besides hunting :p
BB

If you have to pay for it and it's legitimate via download, no harm done. Older issues are cheap online. It's a mixed bag, this whole money thing.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By the_tree

Eh, I don't think it's that bad. But a lot of people like to treat you as if you were some sort of immoral devil-spawn if you advocate for it.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Gambit1024

@The_Tree said:

Eh, I don't think it's that bad. But a lot of people like to treat you as if you were some sort of immoral devil-spawn if you advocate for it.

I'm in this boat as well. I'm not gonna judge anyone for downloading anything.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Lvenger

As long as you don't download the newer comics illegally, then I suppose it's fine. Downloading newer comics would be cheating the industry and that's not fair.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I watched pirated movies online all the time, so I won't judge anyone reading comics this way, however, I don't because I like to have the physical book in my hand.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xybernauts

@Onemoreposter said:

People only have so much money. AFOM spends semi-regular money on collecting comics and trades and buys a few monthlies when something really good is coming out, but has been known to dl some things. Should everyone be charged to hear Beethoven's Fur Elise or to see the Sistine chapel? I know it's not quite the same but it is all art. I have the benefit of being comfortable financially, I'm only a college student. Some people are quite poor though. Others have families and children to cloth and feed and buy braces for and put through school. They can't afford to drop cash on comics. Is it fair that these people should never get to enjoy the plethora of great stories in the comic medium just because they can't afford them? I don't know. It is indeed a sticky subject.

My best advice is you should support the industry, the whole industry, if you can. If you have a local comic book shop, maybe buy more than your comics there. Alot of shops sell games, movies, clothes, and collectibles among other things. Go to the theater to see comic book movies. Turn on the tv occasionally when a comic book show is on. Right now Marvel and DC are both owned by giant multimedia corporations. They aren't exactly hurting for money and comics aren't in danger of going anywhere.

Spend what you can but you don't have to go over board. If at the end of the day you dl some books or trades that you weren't able to pick up, well, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Oh, and people who say it's never acceptable oughta get off there high horses.

QFT

@Billy Batson said:

No Caption Provided

BB

lol

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
TheVoiceOfReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheVoiceOfReason

I like to have the physical book so I buy my comics.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Bruxae

This is a tricky situation were I live, in sweden Marvel or DC comics is not being sold in stores except a few really specialized ones in the capital to my knowledge, so the only way I got of obtaining a physical copy (wich I think every real collector should have) is to get really expensive imports, the few swedish online stores ive seen dont really have a way to subscribe to new comics but rather a collection of older ones that costs normally up to 10$ or more.

Jawshco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Jawshco

I have a friend who loves Torrents. I feel nervous that he's going to get into trouble so offered him my Comixology login info so he can read my legal downloads, but he refused! He doesn't see the difference between reading my comics and reading torrented comics.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By htb106

@Antarktischer_Ureinwohner: No, it's completely wrong.

Tell your friend it's wrong as well, this is people's life's work, they spend their time on this, they can't afford for it to be stolen.

just stop buying as many books.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By htb106

@The Stegman: Well, you shouldn't be watching pirated movies.

Avatar image for quirky_anecdotes
quirky_anecdotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By quirky_anecdotes

I have no problem with piracy. It's not stealing. It's a new way of doing things The world's changing , mega corporations can either keep up or get left in the dust.

It's not my fault for using the Newest piece of technology to receive media. Isn't that's how the world's always worked? Print replaced by the Telegraph , The Telegraph replaced by Radio , Radio replaced by Television. Brick and Mortar stores replaced by Piratebay and Isohunt.

There is no good in arguing with the inevitable. The only argument available with an east wind is to put on your overcoat.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By longbowhunter

When I first became a member on this site someone told me a good place to pirate comics. I never downloaded any, more out of laziness than ethics. Now I'm glad I didn't. Believe me I go broke buying comics but feel its important to support books I like, especially creator owned stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htb106: so i can assume you never ever saw a pirated movie, nor listened to downloaded music or used a picture somewhere, i don't know on facebook or somewhere else, that was under copyright?

RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By RedQueen

I'd say No-go... I mean just morally. Also, I like physical copies, and arriving home from a comic store with new comics is just awesome.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By briangsharon

Full disclosure, I do pirate the odd book.

However , I only do so when I am missing an issue ( for example Green Lantern #4 ) because my shop (which I support) does not have it in stock. Typically I wait one week for this issue (this problem typically happens only when I am catching up with back issues) and in the mean time wish to read further.

I then pirate the missing title and when it does become available @ my shop - good or bad - I purchase it.

This is the only instance I get comics through pirating.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By Strider1992

The only time I download a comic is if i'm 100% sure i'm going to buy it anyway and simply want to read it the day it comes out rather than sit and wait for it to arrive in the post. As i'm on subscription i've already paid for the thing anyway.