Peter Tomasi : the next DC superstar writer ?

• 57 results
Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Just read Batman Rises Omega #1 and Batman and Robin #34 , I must say that Peter Tomasi does a great job as writer overall. So this is question for you guys, do you think Peter Tomasi will be next DC Superstar writer like Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder etc ? IMO He can be next Justice League writer if Geoff Johns decide to leave. Btw can't wait for him to take over Superman Wonder Woman on November because I wanna see him more working with another DC Characters

Avatar image for riddlerzeroyear
RiddlerZeroYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Scott Snyder is a superstar?

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riddlerzeroyear: yup he can be consider a big name writer nowadays. Batman new 52 book have been constantly top 3 comics sales since issue #1 is impressive in this modern era. And among reason Superman Unchained sells because Scott Snyder is attach as writer. Besides DC comics also admits that Scott Snyder is one of their writer superstar in official press statement

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No, I really don't like the way he writes. I liked Robin Rises Omega, but other then that he's delivered some very disappointing stuff. Batman and Robin #33 was one of the worst comics I have ever read.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@captainmarvel4ever: you need to read Batman and Robin #34. It is very good moments between Lex Luthor and Batman besides I think you need to give him a chance. Every great comics writer makes some bad comics for example Grant Morrison Final Crisis and Geoff Johns Justice League Vol 1 origins (the way he write Wonder Woman etc)

RiddlerZeroYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: Snyder might be DC's golden boy, but he's no superstar writer. There are far better writers working at DC currently

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riddlerzeroyear: I think you need to read this official statement release. In this statement clearly mention the word Scott Snyder superstar writer http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54639

RiddlerZeroYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: I think you need to understand that the term "superstar" is subjective, and they label him as such to boost sales for his books.

Most of his stuff has been mediocre, the only book I truly saw as GREAT was Savage City.

As I said, there are multiple writers at DC who are far better.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I've always liked Tomasi. I read his GLC run with Gleason for a lot of years. Never got around to checking out Light Brigade or The Mighty though.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riddlerzeroyear: I'm talking this is in terms of official statement release. Yeah I know some fanboys have different opinion about definition of "superstar writer" but I'm talking here is only basedly on official press release by DC Comics. I hope you understand what I mean :)

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: if DC decide to put him more on big books then his popularity as a writer may have increase in a few years imo

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek said:

@captainmarvel4ever: you need to read Batman and Robin #34. It is very good moments between Lex Luthor and Batman besides I think you need to give him a chance. Every great comics writer makes some bad comics for example Grant Morrison Final Crisis and Geoff Johns Justice League Vol 1 origins (the way he write Wonder Woman etc)

You need to read Batman and Robin #33, it's very very bad. The good moments between Lex and Bruce are ok, but they could be so much more, and the rest of that issue is so boring. Also this guy does not write Wonder Woman well either, did you read his issue of Batman and Wonder Woman? I know he's not a good enough writer to compete with Azzarello, but that was still some pretty lame writing. Also even when Morrison or Johns aren't at their best, their still pretty good.

RiddlerZeroYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: I understand what you mean, it's just stupid.

DC has also released statements saying that Batman: ENDGAME will be the most epic Batman story ever written. Will it? Most likely not.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By longbowhunter

@riddlerzeroyear: I agree "superstar" is a buzz word. Means nothing. But you can't judge Snyder on his New 52 output alone. His Detective run, American Vampire and The Wake, all phenomenal. The Wake being the only DC book to bring home an Eisner this year.

RiddlerZeroYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: See, I've only read his work on Batman. I'll give those books a look. The Black Mirror and Savage City are the only stories I've seen as great from hin, but as I said before it's all subjective.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@captainmarvel4ever: oh well you got solid points. But hey...lets see if he can write good story or not in Superman Wonder Woman book which he will take over from Charles Soule. If he done a good job on that book then you must say to me that he got potential to be good writer . Do you agree on this terms ? :)

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@boynerdgeek: I am enjoying Batman and Robin far more than any other Batbook at the moment (Well except Eternal) . I am very much looking forward to his upcoming Superman/Wonder Woman run.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: oh well you got solid points. But hey...lets see if he can write good story or not in Superman Wonder Woman book which he will take over from Charles Soule. If he done a good job on that book then you must say to me that he got potential to be good writer . Do you agree on this terms ? :)

Sure, but I'm not expecting much from him, because if it's anything like the way he's written these characters in this book, then it's really going to suck. I will give him a chance though.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelord: yup I'm also excited for him to take over Superman Wonder Woman which completely going downfall because of Superman Doomed storyline

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: actually I'm pretty excited for him to take over Superman Wonder Woman which completely going downfall because of Superman Doomed storyline

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I wouldn't say so, but then again I don't consider Snyder or Johns to be superstar-writers either so I wouldn't be surprised to learn DC someday starts calling him that.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riddlerzeroyear: If you dug Black Mirror you should give Wytches a shot this October. Snyder and Jock make for a helluva creative team.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

He's moved up a lot,but I dont think he'll ever reach Snyder's level,he could however be Johns without mental deficiencies.

@boynerdgeek said:

You need to read Batman and Robin #33, it's very very bad. The good moments between Lex and Bruce are ok, but they could be so much more, and the rest of that issue is so boring. Also this guy does not write Wonder Woman well either, did you read his issue of Batman and Wonder Woman? I know he's not a good enough writer to compete with Azzarello, but that was still some pretty lame writing. Also even when Morrison or Johns aren't at their best, their still pretty good.

No it's not,just because your boy Cyborg got stepped on like he deserves doesn't make it a bad comic,it was an ok issue like 6.5/10 or 3/5. Bad comics=Johns first year as JL writer. Batman & Robin #33 didn't have a single element of a bad comic,stop exaggerating.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek said:

@captainmarvel4ever: actually I'm pretty excited for him to take over Superman Wonder Woman which completely going downfall because of Superman Doomed storyline

Do you mean going downhill? because that event has been pretty well received, and it's a book written by Charles Soule, aka God's gift to comics

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's moved up a lot,but I dont think he'll ever reach Snyder's level,he could however be Johns without mental deficiencies.

@captainmarvel4ever said:
@boynerdgeek said:

No it's not,just because your boy Cyborg got stepped on like he deserves doesn't make it a bad comic,it was an ok issue like 6.5/10 or 3/5. Bad comics=Johns first year as JL writer. Batman & Robin #33 didn't have a single element of a bad comic,stop exaggerating.

That's not the only reason.

For starters Batman was acting like a child, which I can kind of understand because he's lost his son and has been losing a bit of his sanity, but it still felt like poor writing to me. What really felt like poor writing was the way the writer tried to make Batman seem like he's better then all the other members of the League, with the biggest strike being Batman hurting Cyborg with a switch on his belt. He's Cyborg, the ultimate machine from STAR Labs, a little button on Batman's belt should be nothing to him. If Batman was rebelling almost any member should be able to single handedly hold him back. Another thing is that stupid suit, it looks alright and makes sense, but the way it was built sounds like it was made up by a sixth grader. Also the writer made every other member seem like an immature nobody, but what was most disappointing was the talk with Superman, which I thought would save the issue. It was so brief, shallow, and pointless that it felt like it didn't even happen. The cherry on top of all this being that the art for this issue wasn't great. The one thing I did like was seeing Kalibak's first appearance in the New 52, and part of me is hoping that the writer will surprise us by making this event connect with the new Green Lantern event in which the Lanterns face the New Gods (I know it's a slime chance but it would be a cool surprise).

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By entropy_aegis

@entropy_aegis said:

@boynerdgeek said:

For starters Batman was acting like a child, which I can kind of understand because he's lost his son and has been losing a bit of his sanity, but it still felt like poor writing to me. What really felt like poor writing was the way the writer tried to make Batman seem like he's better then all the other members of the League, with the biggest strike being Batman hurting Cyborg with a switch on his belt. He's Cyborg, the ultimate machine from STAR Labs, a little button on Batman's belt should be nothing to him. If Batman was rebelling almost any member should be able to single handedly hold him back. Another thing is that stupid suit, it looks alright and makes sense, but the way it was built sounds like it was made up by a sixth grader. Also the writer made every other member seem like an immature nobody, but what was most disappointing was the talk with Superman, which I thought would save the issue. It was so brief, shallow, and pointless that it felt like it didn't even happen. The cherry on top of all this being that the art for this issue wasn't great. The one thing I did like was seeing Kalibak's first appearance in the New 52, and part of me is hoping that the writer will surprise us by making this event connect with the new Green Lantern event in which the Lanterns face the New Gods (I know it's a slime chance but it would be a cool surprise).

There's not a single legit point in this entire post.

Batman has every reason in the world to act like this,just because you dont "feel it" doesn't make it bad.

Batman is much more calculated and tactical than all other JL members,I'm sorry but you should not read comics with Batman in them,or only Johns Batman comics. You have a problem with the character and what he is capable of,this is who he is PERIOD, I have noticed that this is a recurring issue for many Johns fans,start accepting who Batman is. This isn't a Tomasi problem or Snyder problem or even Morrison problem,this is a Batman problem. So not a viable complaint at all.

Cyborg can come back when he does something impressive,he can be the most impressive machine made by God himself for all I care,and Batman merely disrupted his teleporter and that too for several seconds at best. Nowhere near as bad as being Deathstrokes whipping boy for decades. Again not a viable complaint.

The suit is stupid why? I'll answer because Batman,if Cyborg made this suit you'd be calling him the next coming of Tony Stark. There's nothing wrong with it,infact it's unlikely to even survive this arc.

The JL was immature? isnt that consistent with how Johns writes them?

His talk with Superman was fine,last time I checked this isn't a Superman comic.

I think Gleasons art is fantastic.

I find it amusing that you think Soule is God's gift(hahaha),ok that's your opinion and I respect that but even you can see the double standards here,Tomasi is bad cause YOU dont like Batman & Robin while Soule is good cause good reviews for Doomed(mind you Pak's issues got the best reception). For Soule you use reviews for Tomasi you use your own opinion.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Ermm I'm pretty sure last time I check that many people hate Superman Doomed storyline especially supes fans around the world

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Ermm I'm pretty sure last time I check that many people hate Superman Doomed storyline especially supes fans around the world

Exactly,and the best issues by far have been written by Pak,Soule is just riding his jock.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@boynerdgeek said:

Batman has every reason in the world to act like this,just because you dont "feel it" doesn't make it bad.

Batman is much more calculated and tactical than all other JL members,I'm sorry but you should not read comics with Batman in them,or only Johns Batman comics. You have a problem with the character and what he is capable of,this is who he is PERIOD, I have noticed that this is a recurring issue for many Johns fans,start accepting who Batman is. This isn't a Tomasi problem or Snyder problem or even Morrison problem,this is a Batman problem. So not a viable complaint at all.

Cyborg can come back when he does something impressive,he can be the most impressive machine made by God himself for all I care,and Batman merely disrupted his teleporter and that too for several seconds at best. Nowhere near as bad as being Deathstrokes whipping boy for decades. Again not a viable complaint.

The suit is stupid why? I'll answer because Batman,if Cyborg made this suit you'd be calling him the next coming of Tony Stark. There's nothing wrong with it,infact it's unlikely to even survive this arc.

His talk with Superman was fine,last time I checked this isn't a Superman comic.

Really? not a single point? your willing to deny it that much?

He does have reason, but it's being executed poorly

He's a good tactician, but that doesn't merit him being able to take all of them on, this is a comic, not a fanboy's fantasy. I can accept some things, like Batman grabbing a hold of Captain Cold's gun or feats like that, but this comic just made Bats feel too unrealistic.

Batman should not be able to shock one of the most powerful machines on the planet with a button.

I'm also assuming it will be destroyed, but it makes no sense for every member of the league to pitch in. I could accept a few of them helping out, but characters like GL and the Flash should not be able to do anything, and if Aquaman were to contribute a better explanation would be he used Atlantean technology.

It was very inconsistent, they're at a point when they are much more willing to talk now that time has gone on. Plus, even when they would act immature, we were always given insight as to why each of the characters acted that way. In this comic, none of the members of the League felt like actual characters.

It's not a Superman comic, but considering how close and insightful those two characters are, I was expecting much more from a talk between the two.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: do you remember that Batman has face one on one again Darkseid in Final Crisis . So yeahh this just a comics. Batman can fight Darkseid so it is not possible to fight Cyborg

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: 1. Never read Final Crisis, and do to all the negative reviews, I won't be reading it.

2. Don't care what happened then, the fact is he still should not be able to shock Cyborg like that.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By entropy_aegis

@entropy_aegis said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@boynerdgeek said:

He's a good tactician, but that doesn't merit him being able to take all of them on, this is a comic, not a fanboy's fantasy. I can accept some things, like Batman grabbing a hold of Captain Cold's gun or feats like that, but this comic just made Bats feel too unrealistic.

Batman should not be able to shock one of the most powerful machines on the planet with a button.

I'm also assuming it will be destroyed, but it makes no sense for every member of the league to pitch in. I could accept a few of them helping out, but characters like GL and the Flash should not be able to do anything, and if Aquaman were to contribute a better explanation would be he used Atlantean technology.

It was very inconsistent, they're at a point when they are much more willing to talk now that time has gone on. Plus, even when they would act immature, we were always given insight as to why each of the characters acted that way. In this comic, none of the members of the League felt like actual characters.

It's not a Superman comic, but considering how close and insightful those two characters are, I was expecting much more from a talk between the two.

Circumstances,circumstances, Damian was dug out of his grave,then kidnapped by Ra's who attempted to revive him without his memories,then he's taken by Godfrey to Apokolips of all places,the sheer ridiculousness would drive anyone nuts. The execution isn't perfect but it's good for what it is.

He never took them all on,seriously.

Why? this is like me saying Dr Doom cannot invent a machine to rob the Surfer of his powers,it happened and it's consistent with Batman's personality and ability and Vic was taken by surprise.

You cannot say that until you've seen the suit in action.

They tried to talk Batman out of going to Apokolips,keeping the big picture in mind,that's far more maturity than they've seen under Johns pen.

They didn't promise you any insightful talk with Superman,it was good for what it was and the message that needed to be conveyed.

I dont consider it fantastic,mind blowing comic but it's decent not bad as you've tried to paint it.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ComicStooge

He's got the best Damian interpretation outside of Morrison himself.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@boynerdgeek said:

Exactly,and the best issues by far have been written by Pak,Soule is just riding his jock.

I haven't read much from the Doomed event. Is soule really that bad lol?

A lot of people have told me it's good, and Soule is an amazing writer, so I'm sure it's probably good.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: If you read Tower of Babel and watch Justice League Doom animated movie then you know Batman has all the plan to beat every JL member. Tbh I'm not actually huge bat fans, I'm more of supes fans but you can't deny the great writer like Morrison, Waid etc makes Batman always prepare for everything

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@theacidskull: not that bad. I like some elements for example Superman team up with Martian Manhunter. It is cool. Also he makes Cyborg kind a cool and badass in Superman Wonder Woman #11

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@boynerdgeek said:

I haven't read much from the Doomed event. Is soule really that bad lol?

I dunno,he gets a lot of praise but nothing I've read from him really stands out. As for Doomed even though it was Soule's idea it's clear that Pak is doing the heavy lifting when it comes to the plot progression ,utilizing concepts involved and creating new toys as well,Soule is stuck with the SM/WW romance.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: yup have to agree with you. Only time will tell whether he can improve or not as a writer in the future

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@boynerdgeek said:

Circumstances,circumstances, Damian was dug out of his grave,then kidnapped by Ra's who attempted to revive him without his memories,then he's taken by Godfrey to Apokolips of all places,the sheer ridiculousness would drive anyone nuts. The execution isn't perfect but it's good for what it is.

Why? this is like me saying Dr Doom cannot invent a machine to rob the Surfer of his powers,it happened and it's consistent with Batman's personality and ability and Vic was taken by surprise.

They tried to talk Batman out of going to Apokolips,keeping the big picture in mind,that's far more maturity than they've seen under Johns pen.

They didn't promise you any insightful talk with Superman,it was good for what it was and the message that needed to be conveyed.

I dont consider it fantastic,mind blowing comic but it's decent not bad as you've tried to paint it.

I'm not saying he has no right to go nuts, I'm just saying the writer could have done a better job with that.

Fair enough, but it still didn't feel right. I feel like the writer was trying to get something across with that, and the artist may have failed to do that (again, not a fan of the artist on that book)

Batman has great technical skills, but not good enough to stop Cyborg like that. I could buy him using a Mother Box to xcrew with him, but not something like that.

Fair enough

Yeah but none of them really talked with him or empathized with him in a mature way

I still would have liked more then that incredibly short and simple exchange.

I still really really did not like it, I felt like if someone else had this exact same concept, they could have written it better (or possibly worse).

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman wins via bankrupting KFC, thereby robbing Victor of the one good thing left in his life.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Story was fine in theory up until the point when Apokolips got involved, why should they care about a dead human kid?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@boynerdgeek said:

I'm not saying he has no right to go nuts, I'm just saying the writer could have done a better job with that.

Fair enough, but it still didn't feel right. I feel like the writer was trying to get something across with that, and the artist may have failed to do that (again, not a fan of the artist on that book)

Batman has great technical skills, but not good enough to stop Cyborg like that. I could buy him using a Mother Box to xcrew with him, but not something like that.

Fair enough

Yeah but none of them really talked with him or empathized with him in a mature way

I still really really did not like it, I felt like if someone else had this exact same concept, they could have written it better (or possibly worse).

There I'm in agreement,but it was serviceable and works well enough.

Cyborg was taken by surprise,in the same issue Batman couldn't override his control over the HellBat's security.

They didn't want to risk the chance that Batman might deceive them(which he did).

Again serviceable.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

Story was fine in theory up until the point when Apokolips got involved, why should they care about a dead human kid?

They dont lol,they care about Talia's meta material aka ouroboros aka chaos shard which originated in Apokolips and was split apart,it's in Damian's sarcophagus.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: If you read Tower of Babel and watch Justice League Doom animated movie then you know Batman has all the plan to beat every JL member. Tbh I'm not actually huge bat fans, I'm more of supes fans but you can't deny the great writer like Morrison, Waid etc makes Batman always prepare for everything

I did, and it's made clear that the plans are made to be carried out with assistance. Also there is no guarantee they will work. Batman is good at preparing, but that doesn't mean he can suddenly take on any member of the League at an instants notice. If he had prep time and the right equipment then he could stand a chance against any member, but not in the spur of the moment.

Also don't take this as me hating Batman, I still really like the character.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@boynerdgeek said:

Fair enough

There I'm in agreement,but it was serviceable and works well enough.

Cyborg was taken by surprise,in the same issue Batman couldn't override his control over the HellBat's security.

They didn't want to risk the chance that Batman might deceive them(which he did).

Again serviceable.

Fair enough

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: yup Doomed storyline need to end. With Pak Action Comics and Johns Superman comics, Superman books line up looks pretty strong and impressive if you ask me :)

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: yup Doomed storyline need to end. With Pak Action Comics and Johns Superman comics, Superman books line up looks pretty strong and impressive if you ask me :)

He's also got Scott Snyder and Charles Soule. It's funny, Superman had 2 bad books at the start of the New 52, now he has 4 great books.