Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Spiderslike

Let There Be Lighting

The Mighty Thor #5Now as you can tell from the title this is about religion which is always and will always be a touchy subject for many individuals but this is mostly just my personal opinion and I intend to be as respectful to peoples faiths as possible so here goes. I simply wanted to express a long standing curiosity at how religious figures are expressed in comics and other forms of fiction as well. One of the main subjects I will talk about will be Thor a personal favorite of mine. As many of us know Thor is the Norse Pagan god of Thunder, Lighting and Storms worshipped by ancient Germanic and Scandinavian peoples. In the comics the character of Thor is often classed as one of the most powerful beings in the universe and defiantly one of the most powerful super heroes of earth. However despite his title and the strength of his fandom which has more than likely not dwindled in many years in my opinion Thor is not represented in such a manner. I draw attention to many of Thor's battles over the years since his creation and the present. The god of Thunder has battled many of marvel's powerhouses such as Hulk, Gladiator, Hyperion, Wonder Man, Sentry(briefly) and even DC's Superman ( although this is often treated out of canon). 

Norse God of Thunder
 Norse God of Thunder

However despite these character's levels of power only one of them is truly classified as a god that being Thor. However despite being a god Thor has on many occasions either been beaten or gravely wounded by these individuals and other beings of the marvel universe. The main point I'm trying to reach at is if Thor is a god shouldn't he be able to easily best save those from his realm of equal or greater divinity? As mortal beings when people think of the word god the definition of powerful being worshipped by people comes into mind. Thor's battle record often makes me wonder do his writers truly respect him as a former god of man?

In modern times much of the world only uses the term to described one all powerful divine being. I asked myself the question that because Thor is no longer deemed a god by people do writers simply ignore his status and the great level of power he should possess as such. For instance despite being the god of thunder, lighting and storms Thor is also worshipped as the god of strength, healing and oak trees. Of course Thor has been known to have immense strength but little to often does Thor seem to attempt to heal anything let alone manipulate any form of plant life. Usually in comics when a being is referred to as a god if not a truly historically one or one worshipped by an alien species that individual usually has numerous powers, or simply the ability to bend reality to there whim. Still in stories these characters are often able to easily beat groups of superheroes even some of the strongest heroes known.

It begs the question of should Thor be depicted with greater numbers of powers and abilities tied to his godhood than he is often shown using. I remember seeing early scans of Thor using Mjolnir for tasks such as manipulating magnetic fields, transmuting elements, create anti-matter, paralyze individuals, etc. Yet as time moved on many of these feats where never repeated by writers and often times I see Thor only using his hammer as a striking weapon or summoner of lighting. Which in my personal opinion seems quite odd to me. In my opinion if one can be descried as a god of anything then said individual should possess almost total control and mastery of that action or object. They should be able to manipulate whatever force they control to the absolute minimum action said force can be used form. In my opinion this is not the case with Thor. When you take into account all the elements that make up a storm you have, wind, lighting, thunder, rain, cold and if Thor can summon storms than he should be able to win fights without having to use simple brute strength. 

Crazy guy in a suit
 Crazy guy in a suit

This whole idea came about after I was talking to my older cousin about Thor him being a Thor fan was displeased when I told him about certain fights Thor had in recent years such as his famous battle with Red Hulk, his inability to break Bastion's force field surrounding Utopia, his loss at the hands of Norman Osborn and his Initiative and even his far more recent defeat at the hands of the DeviantTutinax. He told me that this doesn't sound like the Thor he knew. He remembers Thor  battling Celestials and even though he lost these where still great accomplishments and he fought foes with the power to end reality as we know it and at least wound them yet he gain be beaten by a crazed fool in a suit of armor? 

It makes me wonder why he loses any fights at all with some of the feats he has displayed or even feats that similairy powered individuals have used. Thor beat Hyperion once by shrinking him and trapping him in a glass ball. Superman once fought a group of crazed super heroes and beat one of them by creating a hurricane sucking out his air it made me wonder why hasn't Thor ever done anything like that to the Hulk? (I know there's a Hulk fan out there saying it wouldn't matter he'd just get so angry he wouldn't need to breath but as a Hulk fan myself please shut up lol). Why in his fight with Red Hulk didn't he simply create a mini lighting storm in Ross's brain lobotomizing him, why in his fight with the Silver Surfer didn't he simply drain the power cosmic out his body with Mjolnir?   

Tsk tsk 
Tsk tsk 

All these events and potential feats make me wonder why Thor seems so weak in recent times. I remember seeing a scan that says Thor was bested by some super villains because he holds back his strength, but even if he holds back his strength shouldn't he still be able to knock enemies unconscious with a flick of his fingers? It easy to say that it's simply the lack of imagination of the writers, but that seems so very odd to me even to this day. Even if one writer can describe a being a possibly weaker that they should be it seems odd that they can lack so much imagination and still be allowed to write comics. 

The Devil
The Devil

I now go to a different religious character more relevant to modern times Lucifer Morningstar another favorite of mine although. Lucifer being the Devil in modern Christian mythology is a much feared being. The character often displayed a level of power where he so rightfully should. Often outsmarting the Angels of Heaven, Beating his brother Michael and even his greatest feat creating his own Creation separate from our own. Such feats only increased my belief that if Thor was a being worshipped by people today he would also be able to perform feats of equal measure. But sadly he is not. He is a character who in my opinion continues to be greatly disrespecting by writers in resent years and will only continue to be so simply because he is of a different faith than the majority of his readers. Although writers can show an amount of respect for characters of different religions these are usually just the followers and not the divine beings worshipped themselves. I fear this is so simply because writers are afraid to display feats that may beg the question who's religion is right or wrong. 

Touchy Subject I know Bare With Me

As I feel I'm getting to the touchy part of the subject I will explain that that is not the question I am asking. What I have been getting at is that despite not being the modern god of society I wish for Thor to be shown with a level of respect of a god once worshipped by mankind. It is not the writers duty to tell someone which god maybe be real and which is not but when you use a character and intend to use them to the best of your ability do not weaken them for the sake of the story express them in all their glory and might. When I picture Thor feats I hope to hear of things such as crushing mountains with his hammer, lifting whales and submarines with his bares hand like they where paper, resisting the force of a nuclear bomb not even getting so much as a sunburn, deflecting bullets with his hair, punching opponents with the speed of lighting, shouting loud enough to shatter a man's bones, hearing the prayers of one of his followers anywhere in the world, commanding entire forrest to grow out of a desert, get punched by a fully grown Hank Pym resulting in the bones in his arm shattering, healing an entire hospital of people by simply waving his hand, stopping the Hulk by turning him back into Bruce Banner by simply touching him, etc. When a fan asks who should win Thor or Hulk or Thor or Superman there should be no question it is Thor because Thor is a divine being and Hulk or Superman aren't not. Stan Lee himself even created Thor with the intention of having a being stronger than the Hulk.

Yahweh 
Yahweh 

In my mind every religious character to have the utter most respect that can be given to said character and that they instantly display knowledge and power far beyond anything that can be achieved by mortal means. This does not mean said character need be flawless. Even the original Pagans did not believe their God's to be 100% flawless. Thor was deceived by his brother Loki resulting in him lifting part of the Midgard Serpent, Odin needed to hang himself to gain the secrets of the universe. Zeus's lighting didn't come from him but Hephaestus blacksmith of the gods. Even God chose not simply stop Lucifer from rebelling when he simply could have made it so. The point is don't allow the fears of the masses to hinder creativity and show respect for all religions not just your own.

gethere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gethere

Spiderslike, I can see what you are talking about Thor is a God and should written as such, then there the problem, human imagination can only go so far and if writers keep on writing him so powerful they would have a very very hard time writing good stories over and over. I mean this was what happen with superman and because of that, DC has to keep rebooted him so he can have good stories. I mean because some writers keep making him so powerful that he can win every fight, that sadly will led to a very hard to write and boring character. So writers at Marvel caught this during the silver age so quietly depowered him so they could keep on writing him. The also try to change the focus of his comic to be less about his powers and more about his world and everything for his propective. Keep in mind that this is all just to his stories interesting.

Avatar image for magneticshockwave
MagneticShockwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MagneticShockwave

Thor is a godling... 

Godling.... Not GOD

MagneticShockwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MagneticShockwave

Celestials are more Godly than godlings of Asgard. 

Ashema
Ashema
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

THOR IS STILL A GOD WORSHIPPED TODAY

Why is that so hard for some people to grasp. Also Thor fan's ruin the character for me, they want him so uber-powerful that he would be almost impossible to write an ongoing for. How can he be on the Avengers and just blink bad guys out of existence? If he was so powerful there would be no crime, no famine, no disease, how boring a comic would that be?     
MagneticShockwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MagneticShockwave

Thor is a Pantheon Godling. Pantheons are worshipped, but that doesn't mean that they are above all of existence.

Worship is an action of men or beings that humble themselves for an inspiration. Thor IS Inspirational, but that does not mean they worship him because he created them and everything else around them. They worship him for inspiration for something and for enlightenment.
BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By BatteredArmor

This is what I always thought should happen

Guy: Oh no I'm about to be killed

*Thor saves him*

Guy: Oh thank god

Thor: Ye are welcome

Guy: O_O

MagneticShockwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MagneticShockwave

Thor is the Godling of Thunder

His inspiration is strength, might, and storm. This is what people worship him for, not because he is THE God.
MagneticShockwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MagneticShockwave
@BlackArmor said:

This is what I always thought should happen

Guy: Oh no I'm about to be killed

*Thor saves him*

Guy: Oh thank god

Thor: Ye are welcome

Guy: O_O

LOL.... It's just too bad writers don't let him talk like that anymore. 
Thank you neo-Marvel writers for taking away diversity in speech from our comics (Sarcasm/ON)
Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spiderslike

@gethere: I completely understand that it just kind of makes me sad in all truth I've always believed that human imagination is unlimited. I'm sure there are ways to make Thor powerful and have interesting stories. Just of the top of my head make the influence of Don Blake make him question whether or not he is doing the right thing on a regular basis or bring back the weakness he had when he would be forced to turn back into Don Blake if he lost his hammer for a short time. But then again its also likely I'm just asking for too much lol

@spiderbat87: I won't say I want him uber powerful but I think all fictional character should get more and more powerful as the years go on to test the writing skills of the future.

@MagneticShockwave: U make a lot of good points

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By dernman  Online

Gods meant different things back in the day. They were not all powerful all knowing beings. Take Greek Mythology. People were getting cursed left and right because they were better then a god at something like racing, hunting, looks or outsmarted. They were much more human and with faults. It's only recent times with the rise of certain religions where there is only one allknowing/allpowerfull perfect being that became more popular that the idea of a god has changed. Now religion from countries other then the western world. You ask them about god you are going to get a different concept then you would from the western world.

Notathug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Notathug78

Yeah I do agree this can be a touchy subject. But as it has already been stated in the comments you make a character too powerful and the stories are boring. Certain gods have abilities that set them apart from other gods. Like I would ask Aphrodite about how to get a girl to love but I wouldn't go to Ares for love advice. Various gods created in different have several gods for different aspects of creation and destruction. Gods of war, love, wisdom, death,etc. Thor never seemed "all" powerful otherwise he would be the only Norse god. But I will agree with your friend Thor has gotten alot weaker over the years compared to the silver age of comics. It can be argued that a part of Thor actually likes that people in the modern remember him again and see his power. What is a god with followers, believers, or worshippers? Whenever a character in the comics interacts with a god either through conversation, battle or whatever does it make that character seem more impressive or does it take away something from a god who woud spend anytime with a lesser being?

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#12  Edited By Deadcool

My definition of God is a being that is worshiped and Thor has never been that powerful not even in the Norse Mythology Thor has never been almighty there were giants that he was unable to hurt with Mjolnir, and Mjolnir wasn't as powerful as it appears in the comics, all that Mjolnir used to do back then is:

1. Change its size
  2. Hit as strong as Thor needed it to hit.
  3. Being Unbreakable.

Some people think that it also sumoned thunders but its unknown, mjolnir means mill...

@MagneticShockwave: You don't need to spam this thread, you could have posted everything in one post =\

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Primmaster64

Man that Lucifer is pretty awesome.

Omni-everything= God to me.

There was a thread about this...similar...

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By DATNIGGA

i Read the marvel encyclopedia on how the earth came to be

the elder gods were birthed from the energy's from newly formed earth

the elder gods started to turn into demons

Gaea summoned autum to stop them

the demonic energy's effected him thus turning him into the demogorge

he ate most of the elder gods some of them escaped to other realms

then he retreated to go live in the sun but at the same time he was leaking energy from the dead elder gods

the humans showed up & the belief & imagination of the humans plus the left over energy created Zues & Thor & Godlings like that

thats why without humans that believe they cease to exist this might also be the case with other races on other planets

so are they gods? no there godlings a god is someone who is omnipotent cant be fought cant be killed & they exists regardless of anything around them

@BlackArmor: Lmao i actually think this happened once

@spiderbat87: Really? wow they must be super pissed at marvel then lol

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@DATNIGGA: Yea I'v been on rants about this before
Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spiderslike

@DATNIGGA: I've always generally liked that explanation but certain stories have always confused me when it comes to the relationship between Gods for instance Odin had Mjolnir forged in a star and the hammers creation almost destroyed the earth and killed off the dinosaurs but that would mean that the Asgardians existed before humans but I generally just blame stuff like that on lack of communication between writers

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Calvin

Spiderslike, maybe the writers want to power down Thor so that he can better interact with the remainder characters. But you make a god point, it's much easier to mess up with religious subjects that you know for sure your readers don't believe. Also don't forget writers work for companies that are nor interested in teaching religion, or even doing art. When Profit is the cause, you just need to please the bigger growd.

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DATNIGGA

@Spiderslike: Yea the story has been distorted many times different things are unclear for instance Bor was said to be one of the gods that created the universe so were does that leave the celestial's or glactus & his abstract buddys? also that would mean Bor's power was comparable to theirs so how did Loki mange to defeat him?

also there was that time odin went to go vist this psych undead witch but to get her to talk he had to drain his blood into the swamp so that she would drink it and come up. it was stated that she was the reason vampires exist on earth. but at the same time its stated that vampires exist because of the elder god Chthon's book The Darkhold

& theres more plot holes on this subject so idk like you said they the writers should have better communicated

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

The Thor title isn't really about religion. How much do you really know about religion, anyways?

'Pagan' is a term whose original meaning was 'not christian'. Over the years it has changed to mean, roughly, 'polytheistic and generally old non-abrahamic religion'. There were no 'original Pagans', or at least not in the context you use. Please do more research before writing something in the future.

Perhaps it would benefit you to read comics that feature other gods and god-like beings?

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#20  Edited By The Impersonator

@MagneticShockwave: Godling? So that means the Greek gods were godlings too? O___O

MagneticShockwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Impersonator said:

@MagneticShockwave: Godling? So that means the Greek gods were godlings too? O___O

Yes. Any higher power in Marvel call Pantheons (Greek, Roman, Norse, Shinto, Egyptians, Hindu, Inuit  etc etc...) Godlings.

stu630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stu630

thor is not a god.There a god of thunder for so many different religion.Hes just from an other planet.Hes as much of a god as any kree or shiar.And no,thor should not have more power.He should actually be a lot weaker.All the other god of thunder in marvel are not even close to be as strong...why?! Because thor is a poster boy. So he will alway be the strongest to make the fans happy...even if it doesnt make sense....

Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spiderslike

@Squares: I was aware of the definition pagan although I may have use it out of context by accident although I won't deny that I am in no way shape or form an actually student of religions or mythologies I've always had an interest in them and I do do research although thats no guarantee I've done the right research or enough. I have read other titles on and off that featured other gods and godlike beings like Hercules, Avengers, Spawn etc. I really just showed more use of Thor due to my personal interest and the fame of the character but I've noticed some similar writing in other comics thought, but I see your point and a little criticism never hurt. If you have another point you think I could have done better on feel free to tell me.

Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spiderslike

@stu: I don't really think it's fair to say he's just some alien primitive just believed to be a god. That plot has been used so often in fiction it's becoming stale. Why can't their be more than one God of Thunder or God of anything for that matter they're comics after all their world is supposed to be limited only by imagination

gavinification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gavinification

@stu: In the comics he is a god. And it does make sense for Thor to be that powerful. His mother is Gaea so he's half elder god.

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DATNIGGA

@gavinification: all the current pantheons came from Gaea tho zues is her son as well i guess that would make thor and Zues brothers but at the same time thor is no where as powerful as zues.

& even tho they classify him as a god in realty hes just an extremely powerful being not a god a god is like a celistial or the living trinbul Ares was considered a god but as i recal he was ripped in half by a human a REALLY powerful human that gained his power thru human experimentation

though... i suppose it depends how you define a god some would say someone who's worshiped & powerful but by that logic apocalypse & ultron are gods as well. i would say a god is someone who is Omnipotent someone who cant be beatin if you die all the time (thor does that) or if you are even capable of dieing at all you cant really be considered a god

gavinification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gavinification

@DATNIGGA: I know they all came from her but my point was that since Thor is her son that his power levels are justified, and should be even more powerful since he has more elder god in him than Odin. I could be wrong here but I think Odin once said Thor has the potential to be more powerful than he is.

And Im not too familiar with Zeus in marvel but I dont think he is Gaeas son. I could be wrong though. Rhaea could = Gaea in marvel for all I know.

And there is the problem of some people thinking that a god must be omnipotent to be considered a god because that is the kind of god that they believe in or are more used to the idea of. Classical gods were not all powerful.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Superguy0009e

the thing is if thor is too strong, it is just easy story telling

"Lets blow up the...never mind thor got here"

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Squares said:

The Thor title isn't really about religion. How much do you really know about religion, anyways?

'Pagan' is a term whose original meaning was 'not christian'. Over the years it has changed to mean, roughly, 'polytheistic and generally old non-abrahamic religion'. There were no 'original Pagans', or at least not in the context you use. Please do more research before writing something in the future.

Perhaps it would benefit you to read comics that feature other gods and god-like beings?

Paganism is basically any religion that isn't Judaism, Christianity, or Islam

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@Jnr6Lil:No, Jnr6lil, not quite- close, but still a little off. To quote myself: "'Pagan' is a term whose original meaning was 'not christian'. Over the years it has changed to mean, roughly, 'polytheistic and generally old non-abrahamic religion'.".

@DATNIGGA said:

@gavinification: all the current pantheons came from Gaea tho zues is her son as well i guess that would make thor and Zues brothers but at the same time thor is no where as powerful as zues.

& even tho they classify him as a god in realty hes just an extremely powerful being not a god a god is like a celistial or the living trinbul Ares was considered a god but as i recal he was ripped in half by a human a REALLY powerful human that gained his power thru human experimentation

though... i suppose it depends how you define a god some would say someone who's worshiped & powerful but by that logic apocalypse & ultron are gods as well. i would say a god is someone who is Omnipotent someone who cant be beatin if you die all the time (thor does that) or if you are even capable of dieing at all you cant really be considered a god

Zeus is the son of Rhea, not Gaea. Of course Zeus is more powerful than Thor, he's the king of gods (at least the olympian ones).

Yes, Ares was a god. We know he's a god because it's been stated on multiple occasions within the Marvel universe that he is a god. Why are you trying to define what counts as a god in the Marvel universe?

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Malevolent1

Yep. I agree with the OP. I'm probably a bit more shallow and simple minded when it comes to my choice of favorite superheroes. I'm a power freak. My favorite of all time is the Silver Surfer. However, it was clear to me as a kid that Stan Lee's intention when he created Thor was to create the be-all, end-all of all superheroes. In his book Origins of Marvel Comics, Stan made it clear he was trying to come up with someone to top all the characters he had previously created. He wanted someone stronger than the Hulk, smarter than Mr Fantastic (or at least wiser) and have greater powers than the Fantastic Four put together.

However, it was a different era when Stan was EIC at Marvel. Stan made it clear in his book that he was genuinely interested at being good at what he did (writing comics) and he wanted to inject his characters and stories with an element of realism. Also, I'm inclined to say that when Stan was grinding out stories at Marvel, people tended to be a little more loyal to the companies they worked for back then and jobs as a comic artist or writer were careers. Nowadays, writers and artists jump from one company to the next, like musical chairs and the economic climate was not nearly as hostile as it is today. This is the Corporate era. It has engulfed everything, including comic books and it is all about the bottom line. Also, writers and editors are fan boys too. Kurt Busiek, a professed Superman fan wrote the JLA/Avengers crossover.

All of the aforementioned factors have had a major impact on where Thor is as a character now. Thor being the strongest/most powerful superhero in the Marvel universe began to dissolve when De Falco openly declared the Hulk as superior in strength to Thor (although, he still considered him the most powerful - Stan considered Hulk, at best (or his angriest) equal to Thor). Thor was originally invulnerable (the "doomsday" bomb...powerful enough to destroy an entire galaxy...went off at point blank range, other than causing Thor to be knocked unconscious and fall from an orbital height, there was NO damage to Thor whatsoever). As the decades elapsed, we see Thor suffering from cuts from axes and swords, something that had not previously been seen. On occasion, we had seen Thor demonstrate magical prowess on par with Dr Strange, another aspect of Thor's power that was never fully explored. Also, while not in the class of a Superman, Flash or Silver Surfer in terms of speed, Thor has demonstrated speed at multiple mach (Thor #354). As you already mentioned, Mjolnir's powers are almost never fully explored by writer's today.

Simply put, no one at Marvel shares Stan's vision of a character more powerful than Superman, much less a passion for the character. Sadly, J Michael Stracynski was moving Thor in the direction he should have been going, albeit fully loaded with the Odin Force. That is where Thor should be. My guess is Thor will continue to dissolve into a mid tier powerhouse.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By gravitypress

The earthy avatar of a god should be weaker than when the said being is in his own dimension. Kinda like Mephisto.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Lvenger

The same criticisms you're stating here are all valid points that I can see the logic behind. However, the Asgardians in the comic books are not established as actual gods, rather they are portrayed as an extra dimensional race of beings so that they are not literal gods, just very powerful beings. If all Asgardians were gods then the Executioner and the Wrecking Crew would have been able to make mincemeat out of earth's heroes whereas in comic lore, Executioner and the Wrecking Crew have been beaten by mortal foes. The term god in comic books is always a fickle one to describe. They're usually more powerful than the average hero but make them too powerful and they can beat any foe which is not useful for story value.

gavinification

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gavinification

Why do the gods need to be unbeatable and all powerful to be gods?

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By majestic99

Thor should be raised to God status(he should be able to beat Superman or Hulk or battle reality warpers with ease).

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@majestic99 said:

Thor should be raised to God status(he should be able to beat Superman or Hulk or battle reality warpers with ease).

Avatar image for higher_evolutionary
higher_evolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@majestic99 said:

???? he will be the most boring character ever remember SA superman, it should never occur
desperado_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By desperado_

@majestic99 said:

YES. And Batman should be God status too because hes the Goddamn Batman!!!!

Im pretty sure the X-Men need to be raised to God status also. Ooh OOh! And lets not forget Silver Surfer!

How about we make everyone God status everywhere and they could have like a God war or something where everyone wins always because they are all Gods!!!

HELL YEAH!

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By majestic99

@desperado_: That's not what I meant. You're misinterpreting my message. At one point, Thor was able to use his hammer to transmute elements, battle the Celestials, create matter, etc. Now it seems all he does is use it for lightning strikes/melee attacks(and I am aware that there have been other instances in which he used his god blast), it's just that Thor should be given the respect he deserves. I'm not saying that every single character who exists should be given god status. You're overreacting to a simple message.

stambo42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By stambo42

@Spiderslike said:

@Squares: I was aware of the definition pagan although I may have use it out of context by accident although I won't deny that I am in no way shape or form an actually student of religions or mythologies I've always had an interest in them and I do do research although thats no guarantee I've done the right research or enough. I have read other titles on and off that featured other gods and godlike beings like Hercules, Avengers, Spawn etc. I really just showed more use of Thor due to my personal interest and the fame of the character but I've noticed some similar writing in other comics thought, but I see your point and a little criticism never hurt. If you have another point you think I could have done better on feel free to tell me.

The Norse religion is called Asatru. But this guy was splitting semantics anyway. Thor was often historically the primary figure in his religion, eclipsing even his father Odin the Sky Father in devotion. Odin was more the magical type, though Thor should have access to magic perhaps even reality warping abilities in the Marvel universe, in the source material he was always more of a brawler. He liked it that way, and generally his stories don't feature him using magic... or much more than his fists a hammer and a bit of wisdom (though that was Odin's thing, more so)... occasionally some woman's clothing.

desperado_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By desperado_

@majestic99 said:

@desperado_: That's not what I meant. You're misinterpreting my message. At one point, Thor was able to use his hammer to transmute elements, battle the Celestials, create matter, etc. Now it seems all he does is use it for lightning strikes/melee attacks(and I am aware that there have been other instances in which he used his god blast), it's just that Thor should be given the respect he deserves. I'm not saying that every single character who exists should be given god status. You're overreacting to a simple message.

Not overacting... I was mostly joking. What I was trying to say was just because you like Thor or Batman or Superman doesn't mean they deserve to be god like. "Thor should be given the respect he deserves" is exactly what i'm talking about. Fanboyism. We all have it, but it's how subtle you are about it that matters. Thor doesn't deserve anything more than anyone else.

Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Spiderslike

@gavinification: I won't say Gods need to be truly unbeatable but it should at least be far more difficult than it seems to be in comics. I don't wont to really complain about old business but Sentry never should have been able to so easily kill Ares in Siege let alone the Norman Osborn forces even standing a chance against Asgard. It just shouldn't be so easy for the forces of humans to be able to fight let alone wound the gods save for the most powerful of mortals.

@majestic99: I agree although I think it would be nice for those individuals to be able to put up a fight in the end I think he should be able to defeat both Hulk and there be no question he can defeat Superman and I do feel like he should be at least somewhat resistant at least to reality warpers.

Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Spiderslike

@stambo42: I agree I think Thor should have a greater arsenal of powers that he simply chooses not use in most cases than what he's often seen using.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By majestic99

@desperado_ said:

Not overacting... I was mostly joking. What I was trying to say was just because you like Thor or Batman or Superman doesn't mean they deserve to be god like. "Thor should be given the respect he deserves" is exactly what i'm talking about. Fanboyism. We all have it, but it's how subtle you are about it that matters. Thor doesn't deserve anything more than anyone else.

Just trying to point this point this out... when you type something you have to specify if you are joking, because if it's typed I don't know what your facial expression is when you're typing this(aka not a face to face conversation).

That aside, I understand, I am a Thor fan. But I still believe his power should be raised some. He's got his ass handed to him by characters he should be able to beat.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By majestic99

@The Impersonator said:

Thor is biologically half Asgardian, half Elder God. Elder Gods are a race with the name god in them, but they are not god(in the sense that they are all powerful and all knowing, there is only one true god:

The One Above All) NOT THE CELESTIAL!!!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#46  Edited By The Impersonator

@majestic99: I see.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By majestic99

@The Impersonator said:

@majestic99: I see.

No problem( I mean god as in the comics "god", not trying to start a debate or anything about religion).

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By SpidermanWins

Cool article. Well done, especially with such a touchy subject.

Om4zd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Om4zd

@DATNIGGA: Yeah, you better not believe in the marvel lore since it wasn't based on anything that actually could have happened. Except obviously for the Pantheons. No one actually knows what happened in the beginning. The Big Bang Theory is also just.....a theory. I personally believe a higher entity created the Earth and Heavens, and that an even higher entity created the Universe and maybe many more universes. I'm not Christian, Islamic, Roman Catholic or Jewish nor do I follow a religion.I am not saying I disagree with these religions either. I believe in one religion and that is Zoroastrianism. I am not apart of the Zoroastrian community but I wish to be at a point in my life.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fps_dean

My first thought is that since Thor, Odin, Zeus, and so forth are gods, they should simply be able to de-create or de-power other beings that got too strong for them to defeat in a fight.

My reasoning as to why I am wrong? My concept of "god" clashes with concept of god in the Marvel and DC Universes. After all, if somebody can definitively define what a god's powers may or may not be, I would love it if they would tell me how they know this, and how they can contact god so then I could interview god and answer these questions once and for all!