People throwing shade at comics fandom, now in quotes.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Vivide
Don't take any L's
Don't take any L's

Remember folks there will always be naysayers out there, be safe.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AllStarSuperman

What a bunch of douchebags

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kidchipotle

Lol these people just bitter because they got their asses kicked in high school and no one came to their rescue.

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comcis da bes

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a more renowned wordsmith than these once said.
As a more renowned wordsmith than these once said.

SMGameHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their opinion I guess. Don't necessarily agree with it but whatevs. These quotes wont stop me from seeing Fantastic Four next week.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

our families do it to us all the time........nothing new here tbh

JuzaCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically people trying to voice their opinion on what they think "true art" is.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Noone301994
No Caption Provided

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These people likely have trouble suspending belief and have absolute garbage imaginations. I am so glad I am not one of those people who takes things so seriously and can only enjoy stuff that is considered "mature" lol sounds miserable.

Ill enjoy my stupid batman running around in a cape and spandex, have fun watching some 2 hour long movie about a bunch of regular people on a giant boat that sinks at the end *yawn*

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

Meh. I think I'd need to read these in context with the rest of the interviews, but I agree with some of this. Nerds are as guilty of blind consumerism as any other cultural/subcultural demographic, but saturation of nerd pop culture has allowed for the dissemination of scientific and philosophical ideas that have been less successful in other mediums. Alec Guinness' statement is the least surprising; he long resented that he would be more well known for Obi Wan than his earlier theatrical work. This also is understandable. His body of work is fantastic, and he was a master of his craft. The most surprising is Simon Pegg, who pushed ComicCon in Paul, was in both Doctor Who and the Star Trek reboot, and has confessed to having his own fandoms. Again, I'd rather read these in the larger contexts.

Meanwhile, here's this:

Lenny and Cathy look to see who is going to throw Shade next.
Lenny and Cathy look to see who is going to throw Shade next.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

kendell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn why all the negativity.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Vivide.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dernman  Online
Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vivide

This man has the answers

@neghead said:

Nerds are as guilty of blind consumerism as any other cultural/subcultural demographic, but saturation of nerd pop culture has allowed for the dissemination of scientific and philosophical ideas that have been less successful in other mediums.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide: And coffee. I will only share it with vivide.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

Pff, go cry me a river. If they don't like it they shouldn't bother with it.

CuteLittleCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sentry4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn right you bunch of nerds.

I don't totally disagree though. It's a product designed for escapism, like television, movies, video games, even books. To suggest it's a worse form is just bias. There is a healthy amount of escape, but that has to be balanced by the real world. The problem is that there are so many escapes which can be accessed constantly, that it is becoming ever easier to get and stay out of touch with reality.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sinikettu

While I'm aware that Alec Guinness was somewhat resentful for the remainder of his life about the fact that despite decades of fame in theatrical circles for playing lead in plays of Shakespeare and other famous playwrights (which to him were proper acting); he would always be remembered as that old gaffer from a silly movie with three guys and a monkey suit... I still didn't expect him to be so openly vitriolic about it.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Simon Pegg just sounds like he's desperately trying to jump on the pseudo-intellectual bandwagon with that comment.

The other comments I'm not really that fussed about, these guys are not interested in Marvel/DC comics, and MCU etc is taking the spotlight away from the things they are interested in. It is a shame they decided to vent their frustration by being patronising though.

I'm sure Cronenberg could find some comics he'd be interested in if he made an effort to look into them (maybe something like Cradlegrave?). Jodorowsky just hates Superheroes, that guy is a big comic book writer himself.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#26 SC  Moderator

i love when people's quotes get taken out of context by one website, based on the interview made on another website, repackaged under a neutral, positive, negative tone by yet another website, then quoted in green text by a 4chan user, the reasons why being many, then read by an anon browsing, then copied and posted here at CV a few days later. Then CV users just blindly take it and react as blindly. I mean, hey, I know, its not just CV that does that, so many website forums do this now and fall victim to it. Its just yeah. I wish users made threads about their creative projects they were working on, views and opinions about fiction, not just lashing out with frustration at opinions that don't even actually exist, not really after being warped and quote mined.

@neghead said:

The most surprising is Simon Pegg, who pushed ComicCon in Paul, was in both Doctor Who and the Star Trek reboot, and has confessed to having his own fandoms. Again, I'd rather read these in the larger contexts.

Thank you, your post was an example of what I wish more users would do. Peggs comments in context are much more neutral as well as generally interesting. He includes himself in it of course, its not some holier than thou attitude where he thinks he is above it all, like some are interpreting. I don't know the context of the other quotes myself, but based on the Pegg example, I'd assume the whole thing is an exercise in baiting/trolling forums.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Thank you, your post was an example of what I wish more users would do. Peggs comments in context are much more neutral as well as generally interesting.

I read that Pegg article at the time, not only did I find it not help put his thoughts into perspective, his later explanation/retraction irritated me significantly more than the original post did with its high-minded band-wagon jumping nonsense.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By makhai
Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Wasn't he also the one who said that these things are making moviegoers into idjits?

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/may/19/simon-pegg-criticises-dumbing-down-of-cinema

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SC  Moderator

@silent_bomber said:

@sc said:

Thank you, your post was an example of what I wish more users would do. Peggs comments in context are much more neutral as well as generally interesting.

I read that Pegg article at the time, not only did I find it not help put his thoughts into perspective, his later explanation/retraction irritated me significantly more than the original post did with its high-minded band-wagon jumping nonsense.

Thats fine, just like you could suggest to me something you find, uplifting, intellectual and positive, and then I could go and find it narrow, negative, conformist, dim, and irritating. People are different, thats fine, but doesn't change that people often quote mine and warp others quotes, to either suit their own agenda, or because they misinterpret it or because they want to rouse or get the attention or ire of others. Do you think none of comments in this would be the different if "In short: I love Science Fiction and fantasy and do not think it’s all childish. I do not think it is all generated by dominant forces as a direct means of control…much. I am still a nerd and proud. Love and rockets, Simon Pegg." was quoted instead?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SC  Moderator

@makhai: Thank you for helping assist clarification. I already know the original source and the clarification too (I don't think clarification was even necessary, mind you) Neghead will probably find it of value and others should definitely read it as well.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Thats fine, just like you could suggest to me something you find, uplifting, intellectual and positive, and then I could go and find it narrow, negative, conformist, dim, and irritating. People are different, thats fine, but doesn't change that people often quote mine and warp others quotes, to either suit their own agenda, or because they misinterpret it or because they want to rouse or get the attention or ire of others. Do you think none of comments in this would be the different if "In short: I love Science Fiction and fantasy and do not think it’s all childish. I do not think it is all generated by dominant forces as a direct means of control…much. I am still a nerd and proud. Love and rockets, Simon Pegg." was quoted instead?

You jumped to the conclusion that everyone was basing their opinions on nothing but the OP, that they hadn't checked up on the quotes before commenting, or that they were not familiar with their origin in the first place.

• I read the two Simon Pegg interviews at the time
  • The Jodorowsky quote is in a documentary about the artist Moebius that I watched on Youtube last year
  • I originally read the Alec Guiness quote about 15 years ago in one of my film magazines

I think I might have seen the Cronenberg quote linked to on Comicvine but I'm not totally sure.

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SC  Moderator

@silent_bomber said:

You jumped to the conclusion that everyone was basing their opinions on nothing but the OP, that they hadn't checked up on the quotes before commenting, or that they were not familiar with their origin in the first place. I read the two Simon Pegg interviews at the time. The Jodorowsky quote is in a documentary about the artist Moebius that I watched on Youtube last year. I originally read the Alec Guiness quote about 15 years ago in one of my film magazines. I think I might have seen the Cronenberg quote linked to on Comicvine but I'm not totally sure.

More accurately I made/make the assumption that some people in this thread are taking the picture in OP with various quotes on it in good faith in that they accurately reflect the stance or position of the individual quoted. That they may not be colored or quote mined, or taken out of context. Its an assumption I stand by, and I may be wrong, its entirely possible that everyone in this thread is familiar and aware of all the context that surrounds the quote, I just doubt it and am skeptical of that. Incidentally you jump to the conclusion that I jumped to what you offered. You were mistaken in that sense but thats fine. My apologies if you inferred incorrectly, naturally we can't control the assumptions people make about us.

Also this wasn't rhetorical, this was an actual question. Do you think none of comments in this would be the different if "In short: I love Science Fiction and fantasy and do not think it’s all childish. I do not think it is all generated by dominant forces as a direct means of control…much. I am still a nerd and proud. Love and rockets, Simon Pegg." was quoted instead? See if your answer is yes, then I am not even sure why you mention any of above. If your answer is no, well thats fine, I'll hedge my assumption that others in the thread aren't in the same position, I mean one even expressed uncertainty about the context of quotes, but hey, lets start accusing people of jumping to accusations to prolong a conversation. Talking is fun yes?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe
deactivated-5cb5c24a12dfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

>Taking greentext seriously

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

More accurately I made/make the assumption that some people in this thread are taking the picture in OP with various quotes on it in good faith in that they accurately reflect the stance or position of the individual quoted. That they may not be colored or quote mined, or taken out of context. Its an assumption I stand by, and I may be wrong, its entirely possible that everyone in this thread is familiar and aware of all the context that surrounds the quote, I just doubt it and am skeptical of that. Incidentally you jump to the conclusion that I jumped to what you offered.

Yeah well, maybe I take exception to you jumping to the conclusion that I jumped to the conclusion that you jumped to the conclusion.

lol

About the quote, I would say that the quote you are talking about is less reflective of the interview and retraction statement than the one in the OP, being that it comes after a couple of paragraph's of Pegg inferring that certain hobbies are inherently immature.

Our parent's generation had their own hobbies, such as Fishing. Nobody talks about "prolonged childhoods" when people choose to continue fishing or watching and playing sports, but if you want to read fantasy, oh its an "extended adolescence"

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really couldn't care less what these guys think. The only one that sounds like he's jumping on the bandwagon is Simon Pegg who is easily one of the biggest nerds in hollywood but whatever I guess it's cool to hate on superheroes. The guy who made Birdman basically says that escapism is the bane of the world at the moment which just seems stupid. Because escapism is only for kids that means it's bad, right? Well no it doesn't. If next year Hollywood, let's say bans, all Superheroes from film media then what would be left to watch. Personally I don't like drama films like Birdman or the like because they bore me. But I don't activly complain about these things because why should I take time out of my life to moan about things some people like. Likewise these guys should do the same thing and stop complaining because it won't change anything.

But it goes without saying:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

And I just wanted to use this one because it's true.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SC  Moderator

@silent_bomber: Maybe we can form a jump rope team, ^_^.

I agree with that, that its less reflective of the interview, and its also considerably vanilla and a bit boring, so would make a poor thread subject to discuss around as well. That being said peoples reactions would be different, not necessarily better, but different. A thread would be better just linking to the source that includes the entire interview/passage so on, then maybe a quote if they wanted to emphasis on something, as opposed to well, 8 select quotes with a theme with no links or indicators that the quotes aren't one offs and take place in context with greater parts. So peoples reactions are more honest and fair, not just to others, but to themselves and for themselves as well. It may not actually change their stance and thats fine, your stance sounds consistent for example, but I'd personally prefer greater context from the start.

Well, whilst I have an interest in the actual content of what he said, I think its a more broad discussion, requires more attention, time and effort, of which I do not have. I think you make an excellent point, with the comparison between older generations and current. It depends though on a few things as well, whether we assign negative, positive or neutral connotations with say immaturity/immature (nothing inherently negative about immaturity or something being labeled as such, context dependent) so maybe nothing negative was intended or implied.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By SOG7dc

@blade_r said:

These people likely have trouble suspending belief and have absolute garbage imaginations. I am so glad I am not one of those people who takes things so seriously and can only enjoy stuff that is considered "mature" lol sounds miserable.

Ill enjoy my stupid batman running around in a cape and spandex, have fun watching some 2 hour long movie about a bunch of regular people on a giant boat that sinks at the end *yawn*

I don't agree with the quote above (in the OP), but Jodorowsky's Metabarons is fantastic.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see anything in those quotes worth getting rustled over. Comics are just a form of entertainment. Reading them doesn't make you anything other than someone who likes to read them. I can read comics, I can read a book, I can read about news/politics/sports and I can do other things. Doing none of those things defines who I am as a person though.

Leatherface003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and Rest of the world are still waiting for BVS, CIVIL WAR,SS, and more...

Sour grapes much...Screw them, can't make movies worth studios money and lets bash comic book movies....there are 800-900 movies come out each year in Hollywood how many of them are comic book movies 4 may be 5 not even 10% and some the world renown actors playing in those movies. Comic book is one of the finest and oldest mode of art and storytelling dating back to cave painting....just because some shitbags can't comprehend them doesn't make it bad...btw Simon Peg shouldn't be saying that he is working in Star Wars.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are still hyped for comic book movies more than anything which makes their opinion false because it's entertaining both adults and children.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, Alec Guinness died in 2000, and was speaking from a time when ComicCon was a dream for fanboys and -girls and you could still buy comics in grocery stores.There were science fiction conventions, but Guinness was 86 years old when he passed. In his youth, such things didn't exist. To Guinness, fandom probably seemed more like blind worship of the pop culture artifacts than to the ideals being espoused. ~shrugs~

These quotes are not in response to any one event in pop culture, but over a period of time and collected and thrown online just to wind you up.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dum529001

Okay.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Alejandro González Iñárritu calls films in which those who either inherit or obtain great power put the livelihood and wellbeing of others before that of themselves "cultural genocide". Meanwhile every character in his Oscar award-winning Birdman cared only about their own selfish goals and reputation amongst a self-appointed elite.