Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

Given that pedophilia is considered by most of modern society as the most heinous sin imaginable, with pedophilia responded to with even more vitriol than towards murderers or terrorists or genocidal dictators, is it not unusual that there are no depictions of any prominent super-villains as being pedophiles? This would seem and easy way for a writer to paint the villain as evil or a menace. In fact, the only paedophile in superhero comics whom I can think of is Charles Xavier (he had amorous feelings towards Jean Grey since she was eleven), and he's regarded as, after Superman, maybe the most moral hero of all (he's essentially the mutant equivalent of Martin Luther King Jr. or Gandhi).

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Loki9876

Mad hatter has been hinted at.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By roboadmiral

Most villainly traits can have a certain degree of cool to them. Or they can be understood without being condoned. Child molesters have absolutely none of that. There is no way to construe a child molester as interesting, cool, or understandable. Magneto's a mass murderer, but you can understand the reasons he is the way he is. The Joker's absolute insanity is interesting in its own way. People don't mind wearing shirts with Magneto or Joker on them. You will not sell a single t-shirt with the face of a child molester on it. There is no way to find that character as anything more than absolutely repugnant, and that doesn't really work for comic villains.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#4  Edited By Joygirl

Mad Hatter has an excuse in that he actually believes that he is a child.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 202122

Dr. Light was a rapist

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hectorsquall

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

In fact, the only paedophile in superhero comics whom I can think of is Charles Xavier (he had amorous feelings towards Jean Grey since she was eleven)

No Caption Provided
BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlackWind

I've heard Toyman has an "unhealthy interest" in children.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By TheCrowbar

@RideASpaceCowboy: Does Hal Jordan count as a Super villian?

SpectroRaphael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpectroRaphael

What about incest? Ultimate Quicksilver & Wanda had it going on.

xtremekidx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xtremekidx

@SpectroRaphael said:

What about incest? Ultimate Quicksilver & Wanda had it going on.

well,there! you just gave me a reason to stay away from the ultimate line of books!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@roboadmiral: I disagree with the notion that a villain needs to have a degree of understanding or coolness

SpectroRaphael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpectroRaphael

@Jonny_Anonymous:I agree. There are some one-dimensional villains that are still pretty cool. Even the run-of-the-mill 'take over the world' villains can be pretty cool.

Jean199999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Jean199999

The answer to the invisible question is no. The newly appointed hero will not engage in illicit activities with the love interest of the late, former superhero.
There I said it.

RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

and

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By roboadmiral

@Jonny_Anonymous: They don't "need" it precisely, but I can't think of a single villain worth a reader's time who doesn't.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By tomlikesfries

Not a pedophile, but Dr. Light is a rapist as shown in Identity Crisis.

mk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mk111

Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter is a pedo, yet he is the most popular villain from that series.

Highlander_615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Highlander_615

Sins Past. Nuff said.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@roboadmiral: well I read a lot of horror/thriller, for instance The Poet is one of my favourite books and I think the the Poet is a pretty good protagnest yet not once have I ever thought that a paedophilic serial killer was cool or understanding.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By feebadger

@RideASpaceCowboy: Probably the most prominent villain (at the time anyway) with pedophilic overtones was Deathstroke in The Judas Contract story. His involvment with Terra was dubious at best and was never really picked up upon. Regarding your question though, i think that it is a line that the comic world is scared to cross and probably with good reason. Brad Meltzer's Identity Crisis featured Dr Light raping a prominent support character and though the story was well written, it left a bad taste in the mouth and, for me anyway, changed the way i saw these heroes and villains for the worst. I don't know if mainstream comics is the place for such things and, after all, a succesful villain has to be relatable in some way and has to have some form of reader support. We love the Joker because, let's face it, the Joker is ultimately cool and part of us would like to have the freedom he has. We respect Doom and Magneto's nobility, no matter how askew it is. Personally, i don't think any of us want to be the Mad Hatter, no matter how well writen he is, and the ultimate testimony to this is that he has forever been a third tier villain.

I know Manga and more adult oriented comics like the Vertigo line have dealt with pedophilia and i think that is fine. But personally, i don't ever want to see Batman and Spider Man team up to fight Super-Pedo :)

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By roboadmiral

@Jonny_Anonymous: I know. That's my point. There is no cool or understandable aspect to child molesters which is why they don't pop up very often in comics.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@roboadmiral: yea I know, I'm just saying villains can still be good/interesting villains while still being unsympathetic

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of the pedophiles are in the PRIME comics.

That's why the Juggernaut had to invade the Ultiverse so he can kill all of the pedophiles.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#24  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@TheCrowbar said:

@RideASpaceCowboy: Does Hal Jordan count as a Super villian?

Arisia was adult in body. while still quite questionable, its not pedophilia. and no he doesnt.

dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dtm1980

Oh I don't know, Doc Ock has that air about him, or at least has done for a very long time. The dodgy clothing, the massive glasses and the bowlhead haircut. They all add up to a very sick and creepy look. I could say the same for Norman Osborn too when he was still Green Goblin, coming and going like a goddamn Chitty Chitty Bang Bang nightmare!

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SandMan_

Toyman?

RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

@hectorsquall said:

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

In fact, the only paedophile in superhero comics whom I can think of is Charles Xavier (he had amorous feelings towards Jean Grey since she was eleven)

No Caption Provided

From my understanding this is referenced in X-Men (vol. 1) #3 and again in the Onslaught saga, as well as parodied in Warren Ellis' The Boys.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jorgevy

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@roboadmiral: I disagree with the notion that a villain needs to have a degree of understanding or coolness

@SpectroRaphael said:

@Jonny_Anonymous:I agree. There are some one-dimensional villains that are still pretty cool. Even the run-of-the-mill 'take over the world' villains can be pretty cool.

this.

but mainly what Jonny Anonymou said. I dont like villains. at least, when I see villains Im not supposed to like them. they're villains. You'd never see ME wearing a villain on a shirt. but I know that's me, other people relate or like certain villains. I just dont think it' necessary for villains to be relatable or anything like that at all since the main reason I like (as in love to hate him/her) a villain is when they are despicable or really piss me off.

so yeah i disagree with the notion that good villains need to have a reason behind what they do or a degree of understanding or coolness or whatever you wanna call it. they're villains, not anti heroes.

PS: although every villain is the hero of his/her own story... but that's another point

ON the subject of the OP, I don't remember pedophile villains, except maybe in Indie comics? I think I've heard something like that, but i wouldn't mind existing one like that. It exists in the real world, and every crime perpretated here is done in comics with the aid of supe powers super tech or magic so why are certain crimes not perpretated by super villains?

PS: and this is not only concerning pedophily, there's a lot of crimes we don't see much around comics, like white collar crime and stuff. I think that could be interesting

RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

I did some research into Hal's alleged pedophilia, and came across this article:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18957_the-8-most-awkward-sexual-moments-in-comic-book-history_p2.html

Under the specific circumstances, I would say Hal Jordan is only amorously attracted to adult women, as he was able to resist Arisia's advances until her appearance changed to that of a woman, as opposed to preferring her pubescent body.   

No Caption Provided

Looking at the other entries in the article, however, it would appear that Ultimate Wolverine and Silver-Age Superman both have some Ephebophilic, possibly even Hebephilic, tendencies (and Superman incestuous ones at that).  

No Caption Provided

It appears that mainstream comics aren't afraid to depict parahphilia, but for some reason only the super-heroes are allowed to be paedophiles.  

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Onemoreposter

@RideASpaceCowboy:

Max Damage plowed 15 year old Jailbait nightly before reforming.

however Jailbait looks like this

Shes underage, but I definitely don't think he qualifies as a pedofile.

Hal Jordan use to stick it to 14 year old Arisa before it was retconned.

He liked to beat her too

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hectorsquall

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

@hectorsquall said:

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

No Caption Provided

From my understanding this is referenced in X-Men (vol. 1) #3 and again in the Onslaught saga, as well as parodied in Warren Ellis' The Boys.

Yeah, I remember that panel but she was 16 at the time, not 11 (there's a difference).

He knew it was wrong and repressed this memory though so we can't label him as a pedophile because of a single fleeting thought.

John Godolkin, on the other hand...

RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy
@hectorsquall said:

Yeah, I remember that panel but she was 16 at the time, not 11 (there's a difference).

He knew it was wrong and repressed this memory though so we can't label him as a pedophile because of a single fleeting thought.

No Caption Provided

Xavier here is calling Jean the one he loves, suggesting an ongoing disposition, not a single, fleeting thought.  And while she's sixteen when she first joins the team, she was several years younger when her powers first began to develop and Xavier first began to train her.  Thus, I always interpreted that panel to suggest that he's been in love with Jean for some time, and continues to love her now when she's sixteen. 
Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Onemoreposter

@hectorsquall said:

John Godolkin, on the other hand...

Banging a 16 year is hardly pedophilia. Wrong and/or illegal? Quite possibly.

And what, your telling me you don't want to be a G-Man? ;)

hectorsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hectorsquall

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

@hectorsquall said:

No Caption Provided
Xavier here is calling Jean the one he loves, suggesting an ongoing disposition, not a single, fleeting thought. And while she's sixteen when she first joins the team, she was several years younger when her powers first began to develop and Xavier first began to train her. Thus, I always interpreted that panel to suggest that he's been in love with Jean for some time, and continues to love her now when she's sixteen.

Wow... I'm pretty sure Stan Lee didn't mean that when he wrote that piece of dialogue! ;p

It's possible that another writer hinted at something like that but I doubt Marvel would allow it to be canon, at least I hope so!

@Onemoreposter said:

Banging a 16 year is hardly pedophilia. Wrong and/or illegal? Quite possibly.

Agreed.

F*ck no! And I ain't gonna see any film with the G-Wiz either. I still remember the look on Wee Hughie's face!

I don't even want to imagine what the G-Men would do...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6179a9df861
deactivated-5d6179a9df861

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Billy Kincaid from spawn. But he also got what was coming to him when spawn got to him!

dboy4dashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By dboy4dashing

@hectorsquall said:

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

No Caption Provided

LOL!!

This made be laugh!

I think we can consider that guy in Watchmen who gets his head chopped by Rorschach.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Onemoreposter said:

@RideASpaceCowboy:

He liked to beat her too

no. he didnt "like to beat her". he smacked her because she was going into hysterics.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CapFanboy

@feebadger said:

i don't ever want to see Batman and Spider Man team up to fight Super-Pedo :)

...Not even a little?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Onemoreposter said:

@RideASpaceCowboy:

The correct term for that is hebephile

No Caption Provided

Alot of comics and manga go between that and ephebophilia that's why for over 50 years the comic characters never age. Or if setting from future, always revert back to present past. If or when Jean Grey comes back she's going to look as young as her daughters. lol.

MexFaletti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MexFaletti

Two villains come to mind, tough they're not your "super spandex type". Billy Kincaid from the Spawn series was a child molester and killer. Also Sin City's Roark Jr. (aka the Yellow Bastard) had a similar pathology...

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jorgevy

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

@Onemoreposter said:

@RideASpaceCowboy:

No Caption Provided

Alot of comics and manga go between that and ephebophilia that's why for over 50 years the comic characters never age. Or if setting from future, always revert back to present past. If or when Jean Grey comes back she's going to look as young as her daughters. lol.

also, Jailbait was the one who went after him and after the happening in Irredemable, when Max Damage starts to reform, he waits for her, until she reaches 18 of age

(and wasn't she 16-17? at least when Incorruptible begins, IIRC)

btw I don't know how the heck I forgot about this case. I recently just read both Incorruptible and irredemable and they are awesome, one of my favorites. I guess that the case was so well presented, and their relationship evolved so dearly that one even forgets that it was illegal! xD

also the thing with Hal was a misunderstanding, although he did try to hit on Supergirl IIRC, when she was like 16 (although technically she is was over 16 because of the trip from Krypton to Earth but whatever)

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Asria was still mentally a child. Her body being ready for sex and her mind are two different things.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Jorgevy said:

@Onemoreposter said:

@RideASpaceCowboy:

No Caption Provided

also, Jailbait was the one who went after him and after the happening in Irredemable, when Max Damage starts to reform, he waits for her, until she reaches 18 of age

(and wasn't she 16-17? at least when Incorruptible begins, IIRC)

btw I don't know how the heck I forgot about this case. I recently just read both Incorruptible and irredemable and they are awesome, one of my favorites. I guess that the case was so well presented, and their relationship evolved so dearly that one even forgets that it was illegal! xD

also the thing with Hal was a misunderstanding, although he did try to hit on Supergirl IIRC, when she was like 16 (although technically she is was over 16 because of the trip from Krypton to Earth but whatever)

he did not try and hit on Supergirl, he was attracted too he but restrained himself even though she spent their entire encounter trying to get a little of his Emerald Might.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Joker. Read Cacophony.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jorgevy

@Avenging-X-Bolt: sorry, but what he did was hit on her, from my POV, that's what hitting on means. Unless I read the scan wrong. but yeah he wasn't trying anything since he immediatly thought to himself in the panel that she was too young IIRC

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@TheCrowbar said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Asria was still mentally a child. Her body being ready for sex and her mind are two different things.

I understand that and i never said it was. all i said is that technically Hal isn't a pedophile which is true.

RoyHarperBLOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RoyHarperBLOW

@hectorsquall said:

@RideASpaceCowboy said:

No Caption Provided
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Jorgevy said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt: sorry, but what he did was hit on her, from my POV, that's what hitting on means. Unless I read the scan wrong. but yeah he wasn't trying anything since he immediatly thought to himself in the panel that she was too young IIRC

you read the scan wrong and id suggest you read the actual story

Flirting or coquetry is a social and sometimes sexual activity involving verbal or written communication as well as body language by one person to another, suggesting an interest in a deeper relationship with the other person. In most cultures, it is socially disapproved for a person to make explicitly sexual advances, but indirect or suggestive advances (i.e., flirting) may at times be considered acceptable. On the other hand, some people flirt playfully, for amusement. A female, especially a young one, who flirts playfully is sometimes called a coquette or in slang a cock tease; while a male flirt may be called a womanizer or player.

at no point did Hal flirt with Supergirl

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Onemoreposter

@hectorsquall said:

F*ck no! And I ain't gonna see any film with the G-Wiz either. I still remember the look on Wee Hughie's face!

lol. Ah man, the Boys was great. Too bad it's over now. *raises pint* Here's to that movie they've been talking about making for years now.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

no. he didnt "like to beat her". he smacked her because she was going into hysterics.

If you say so.....

No Caption Provided

Hmmm. Actually sort of interesting once I looked up the definitions. So I guess Hal is a heb and Max's an Epheb.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Onemoreposter said:

@hectorsquall said:

lol. Ah man, the Boys was great. Too bad it's over now. *raises pint* Here's to that movie they've been talking about making for years now.

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

If you say so.....

No Caption Provided

Hmmm. Actually sort of interesting once I looked up the definitions. So I guess Hal is a heb and Max's an Epheb.

Yup!

The only pedophile I recall in comics is that yellow guy from Sin City.