Edited 10 months, 26 days ago

Poll: Pantera vs. Metallica (Both in their prime) (14 votes)

Pantera 50%
Metallica 50%

Pantera vs Metallica, both in their prime. Two thrash metal icons. I'm asking the metalheads of the vine, in their opinion, who was the best band of their era? Not talking about commercial success, but based on pure talent. I listed 4 of my favorites by both bands, My vote is going to Pantera, because in my opinion Phil Anselmo and Darrell "Dimebag" Abott are the best Vocalist/Guitarist in metal history. But then again that is just my opinion, whats yours?

#1 Edited by Perethorn (3569 posts) - - Show Bio

Pantera is awesome, but 80s Metallica is God like.

#2 Edited by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

@perethorn: While I agree that Metallica was godlike in the 80's, so was Pantera in the 90's. But I feel they just had kind of a cleaner more poetic image which made them more popular commercial wise. Not taking anything away from them. I just feel like if more people knew about Pantera it would be a better debate. Not saying they'd win the majority. But honestly Hammet couldn't hold a finger to Dimebag and that's just a fact. But I'm opinionated there because I never liked Hammet.

#3 Edited by SHAZAM117 (3580 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, this is tough! In their prime?! Think I gotta go with Metallica. I've always personally viewed Metallica in their prime/peak of their powers, during the Master of Puppets era when Cliff Burton was their bassist.

Still gots mad love for PanterA tho, Cowboys from Hell is still not only my favorite album of theirs, it's one of my all-time favorite metal records ever

#4 Posted by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

@shazam117: Like your taste sir. That would be my favorite to, but its my number 1. Lol, Phil's falsetto with Dimebags killer riffs..like in the songs medicine man, psycho holiday, message in blood, and cemetary gates give me chills like no other.

And no doubt about Metallica with Cliff. People don't realize he did more then play bass like a boss. He actually wrote a lot of the lyrics to..and I hate to sound cynical because they DID make some legendary music after cliff..but they would've been milessss better if he had lived.

#5 Posted by SHAZAM117 (3580 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Emequious_Swerve (1273 posts) - - Show Bio

C'mon, man. Can't f**k with Metallica.

#7 Edited by RetconCrisis (4434 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18774 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Pantera.

#10 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

The Great Southern Trendkill is easily one of my favorite albums

#11 Posted by RetconCrisis (4434 posts) - - Show Bio

@emequious_swerve: @retconcrisis: Beg to differ, but opinions are opinions.

Everyone has their own opinions. It's just a persons choice to respect them or not. I choose to respect them, so thanks for respecting mine.

#12 Edited by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

@retconcrisis: Not a problem. People have their own personal preferences. Music is the voice of the world and speaks to people in different ways.

#13 Posted by jloneblackheart (5557 posts) - - Show Bio

Pantera. Entire career was their prime if you ask me. They don't have any bad albums. Metallica has several.

#14 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18774 posts) - - Show Bio

The Great Southern Trendkill is easily one of my favorite albums

10's and Floods all day

#15 Posted by Outside_85 (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

To be brutally honest, had I never heard of Pantera before Dimebag was shot (RIP)... and even my mother has heard of Metallica.

#16 Posted by MarlboroMan (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

Pantera's whole career was their prime

#17 Edited by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Floods is Panteras "One" imo. Amazing song.@jloneblackheart: @marlboroman: I certainly don't think this, as I love all Panteras music. But many people say they lost their touch after far beyond driven. Or some say after Cowboys. Which is odd because Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven are amazing.@outside_85: Well I'm really talking talent, wise, not commercial success. I didn't discover pantera till after Dimebag either though. It was 05 I believe. Sad I never got to see a concert of theirs but I went to see Phil's band down at the house of blues in New Orleans one year and their early stuff was very reminiscent of pantera but obviously without dime it just wasn't the same. All ill say is, I can jam to Metallica. But I can FEEL to Pantera and jam. No band can make me bang my head like them.

#18 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

Metallica.

#19 Posted by Outside_85 (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

@commander_kane: Well I am still going to with Metallica since the stuff they did in their prime (along with the other members of the Big 4) recreated the metal landscape.

#20 Posted by Bezza (3839 posts) - - Show Bio

Metallica, they have outlived all the other metal bands of their era..second only to Iron Maiden (and Sabbath) in my book!!

#21 Posted by lesterlawton (867 posts) - - Show Bio
@bezza said:

Metallica, they have outlived all the other metal bands of their era..second only to Iron Maiden (and Sabbath) in my book!!

Wrong. Most of the 80's thrash bands are currently putting out better albums than Metallica has in the last 10 years. Megadeth, Anthrax, Overkill, Testament, etc. I'm going with Pantera, since their entire catalog is stellar, while Metallica dropped the ball halfway through their career.

#22 Posted by Commander_Kane (717 posts) - - Show Bio

@lesterlawton: Especially Megadeth! Been in the business for pretty much just as long as Metallica..still don't miss a beat! Their Endgame album in 09 I think had to be one of the best albums put out by an old 80's band in recent years. Thirteen and Super Collider are damn good albums to.