Pacific Rim. All you hoped, or a Let Down?

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pokergeist

I am making this to see what others thoughts were on it. I myself enjoyed the Cinematic Fights Scenes however felt robbed over all in action that the Trailers made this movie out to be.

Spoiler!

My biggest Gripe is the fact that the Cherno Alpha and Crimson Typhoon were unimpressive and easily killed in a 2 on 2 fight with the Monsters. What a Jip! I expected these robots to be able take on 3 or 4 monsters at a time. Yet these 2 Robots could not even come close to winning 1 on 1!

Then it seem the only bot worth its rock em sock em tin butt was Gipsy and Striker. However, Striker had one half butt fight and was shut down by a EMP easily enough. What the hell!? It all came down to Gipsy saving everyone and being the only CAPABLE Jaeger.

Lame....

Also taking with me my die hard Godzilla fan 6 year old son made his own rating a meh. He enjoyed the staff fight over the robot monster action the most., The mass amount of talking and very lame comedy act of the bumbling doctors was time wasted. they could edited so much of that filler crap out and probably gave more face time to the Jaeger Pilots and more battle scenes. I know he was bored half the time.

Overall, I was disappointed in the lack of action. Which seems crucial for a movie based on Giant Robots and Giant Monsters. People are not bringing their kids there for a half butt love story of a poorly acting chick and a hard bitten veteran. When you watch the trailers, you want the had core and dragged out action it seem to promise. I was very disappointed with the major filler in it. I was disappointing with the Giant Robots being overall unimpressive. I find the Mech action in Gundam 08th MS Team more hard gripping than what I saw.

Also why is it all these Jaergers built for Hand to Hand combat, which they suck at btw, and none of them had like a Machine Gun with 108 MM anti tank rounds? When in hell was that consider tacticle to punch the Close Combat Monster?!

Anyway, my gripes and want to know what worked for you and what didnt. Was it overall awsome? Or a let down?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By Teerack

The action was really cool and enough to make me like it, everything else was extremely arbitrary.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

All I hoped for, I loved it.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I disagree with all of your gripes, to be honest.

The movie was all I hoped for, the action was amazing and the surprising comedy was okaying.

Ron Perlman was pretty cool in the movie

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skyfire

I agree that the 2 Jaegers were defeated too fast, Crimson Typhoon especially. I was so looking forward to his three armed fighting style. I suppose they were just unprepared for the Kaiju's ability, but still.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I enjoyed the movie. I wasn't expecting much, and it's defiantly not the movie of the year, but it was fun.

I liked the idea of bad*** versions of the Power Rangers fighting Godzilla.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definitely disappointing, but still worth it to see some giant robots and monsters.

Millennian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Millennian

One thing that's bugging me right now is how American critics are criticising the Aussie characters accents when they were spot on. Love Rob Kazinsky.

_Braveheart_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Haven't seen it yet.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

On a 1 through 10 scale I gave it an 8. I consider that good, not great mind you but good.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was alright.

Trollheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second favorite movie of the year, Star Trek being #1.

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cadencev2: The only reason why the Kaiju were able to so easily take down Crimson Typhoon, Cherno Alpha, and Striker Eureka is because they knew about all about them due to Newt's Drift with the Kaiju Hivemind. He essentially told them everything they would need to know to take those 3 down. They weren't expecting Gipsy Danger to come in much less with that Chain Sword. Given advanced knowledge and prep, the Kaiju had a supreme advantage in that fight. This was all pretty much explained in Newt's conversation with Hannibal.

The Gipsy and Typhoon's Plasma Cannons and the Striker's AKM Launchers are finishers because they only have essentially one shot and they are out. Kaiju eat 108mm for breakfast, all our standard military munitions take too long to do any real damage. It took the combined might of the US Military 6 days to take down a single Category 1 Kaiju. A single Category 5 Kaiju tanked a nuke and you think a 108mm is going to do crap? Keep in mind that unless the attack cauterizes the wound it will release the Kaiju Blue, which in a populated area will kill a bunch of people due to the toxicity. They engage in melee first to ensure as many people are evacuated as possible so that they can then finish it.

Now, I have significant issues with the entirety of the Jaeger/Wall strategy but the strategies employed by the Jaegers helped ensure the least amount of people died which was their goal.

The rest of your gripes are subjective but those two were explained in the movie.

As to my gripes, why did they only deploy Jaegers to combat the Kaiju? After some time I would have started employing specialized ships that act as support platforms. They would provide spotting and suppressive fire if the Jaeger needed it. Why not employ orbital weapons? Most glaringly, why did they not simply camp the Breach? Sure, use the Jaegers to rein in the Kaiju but if they built a floating platform above the Breach and then when you detect Kaiju coming through drop a nuclear depth charge on them. They get killed before they can even do anything or learn anything and as a bonus, you find out very quickly that the Kaiju can travel through the Breach. So, you take all the Kaiju Corpses you have and integrate components of them into a new set of Jaegers. You then drop 10-20 Jaegers into the Breach with Special Forces Units and you take their lab by force or destroy it with a contingency nuke. Either way, the Kaiju are no threat to the populace of Earth and we kick their alien asses badly enough that they don't dare darken our door.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

Well, I wasn't expecting much, but it did turn out better than I thought...still, pretty average movie, C+

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15 JediXMan  Moderator

I walked in with low expectations... and I was pleasantly surprised. It was much better than I thought it would be.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

What would you guys rather see a prequel or and sequel?

prequel could show early fights with the 1st monsters

sequel could be about the world goes back to war with each other and it's robot vs robot!

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really wasn't expecting the story to be good just the action but I was wrong they both exceeded my expectations.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@diredrill: I was about to say the same thing. Why not just camp the breach and why not attack from the air? But then we would not have freakin giant robots! That's why!!!!

Over all I really enjoyed this movie alot! I was had alot of fun watching it! The intro explaining Kaiju and Jaegers was fun to watch. The first fight was really good and emotional. We watched it in IMAX. You must watch this movie in IMAX for the crushing sound alone! You feel the buildings and metal crushing all around you. It was abit corny and the acting was not that great but I was not expecting any oscar winning performances. That said I really like Idris Elba as Stacker Pentecost. His character was the most thought out and the reveal of his relationship with Mako Mori was a nice touch. Oh and I think little Mako deserves an Oscar actually. I was so freakin scared for her in those flash backs! That was probably one of my favorites scenes from the movie. That and of course the scene where Gypsy Danger is dragging the giant ship to knock the hell out of the Kaiju. Sure I'd seen it a hundred times in the trailer but seeing it on the giant IMAX screne made the inner child in me glee with excitement. That's what this movie was all about. Making the 10 year old in us happy.

I was disappointed by the ending. It was like Independence Day. They get into the enemy lab, with no resistance, and blow it all up. The creatures at the other end stare dumb founded and let this giant robot float over to them and boom! It was lame. I was thinking that something unexpected would happen. Like Gypsy would come back from the breach transformed...maybe fused or connected biologically with Raleigh. I dunno but ending it with Gypsy blowing up and somehow Raleigh escaping fast enough to get out of the breach was not fun.

I really had fun watching it. I hope it does well and Guillermo gets to make another one. I felt like there was alot more story to be told and things that they had to skip because of budget. You didn't get to see the 3 armed mech fight or see how the 3 person drift worked. I loved the elements from traditional Kaiju movies and mecha anime he used in the film. I just wished he could of explored the characters relationships abit more but I felt it was nicely evened out between the humans and the stars of the movie which were the Kaiju and Jaegers.

Pokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arinya: Yeah, I thought the ending was Independence Dayish.

@diredrill: I actually must have missed the point of the Monsters adapting to the Jaegers with the contact. I still would like to have seen a better fight from the Jaegers who were suppose to be the best of the best.

Also the fact they never use more effective weapons is strange. I still believe they should have Hand Held Machine Guns or at the least Separate Nuclear charge Plasma Cannons. Camping the Breach seems like a simple military strategy that could have done wonders after 7 plus years of war.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arinya

@cadencev2: More effective weapons? I thought the plasma weapons were made specifically to kill them without getting blue ooze everywhere. Oh and did you know like the freaking sword!?!??! I really wish they had done a full on Voltron effect in the scene with the sword!!!

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Ninjablade09

I loved the movie. It was really good. I know they are working on a sequel but I kinda wish they weren't. My only gripe is the ending but it's more of thing it would change.

SPOILERZZZ

So as I said I kinda wish it was a stand alone movie. I liked Charlie Hunnam's character Raleigh's arc and I liked that they had his brothers death haunt him, and even caused him to quit being a pilot. I also liked the idea that Raleigh and Stacker Pentecost(Elba) are the only 2 surviving people who have piloted a Jaeger solo. See this is where I would have expanded. So the final battle I would have liked it that after all the water had rushed back it after the explosion had Raleigh noticed the Oxygen thing and forced Mako into ejecting. Then he pilots Gipsy Danger by himself and he is attached by the category 5 Kaiju. He tackles into the Breech like they do in the movie and kills it in the Kaiju world. He then manually activates Danger's self destruct mode, but doesn't eject. Now if seeing they are doing the sequel maybe then fine he could eject, but I think killing him would be different and be a good end to his story.

But other than that I really enjoyed the movie. I love when Chuck get's his a** handed to him by Raleigh.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Honestly, I'd probably give it a 3/5. Fun at times, but some of the dialogue/soundtrack was super campy, the highly praised mechas were swiftly tossed aside, and the final fight was pretty lackluster compared to what came before it. Enjoyable, sure, but it never blew me away or anything. Glad the people who were stoked for it loved it, but it just didn't do much for me. Oh well.

Really loved the shot of the fist going into the office, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still not sure if I should see this in the theater, or wait for the disc release.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie was just freaking awesome

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@xwraith said:

I'm still not sure if I should see this in the theater, or wait for the disc release.

Well, how'd you feel about it during the trailers?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I haven't really seen any trailers. I'm just going by other people's words.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@k4tzm4n: I haven't really seen any trailers. I'm just going by other people's words.

You know there are some movies you must see on a huge screen and this is one of them. Just leave your film critic hat at home and enjoy!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@xwraith said:

Bwah? Madness. Watch a trailer and form your own opinion, silly!

Loading Video...

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EnigmaLantern

I'm looking forward to watching this film whenever I get the opportunity to, but I've heard mixed reviews from people so I'm not sure what to expect from the film. If it is any indication of what type of film taste I have, I highly enjoyed MoS and thought IM3 wasn't half bad - still yet to see Star Trek...darn it.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed a lot, I loved the designs of both the jaegers and the kaiju and how the pilots were made distinct enough from each other. I would love to see a prequel or sequel as long as we are introduced to more new designs and overall look. Other than my love for the designs and overall aesthetic qualities I thought Ramin Djawadi and Tom Morello nailed the main theme, it was that pumped up let's get it on type of a theme and I absolutely loved it.

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cadencev2:

Best of the Best doesn't mean crap if the guys you are facing off against have been built to specifically kill the crap out of you. It would be like calling Batman and telling him how you were going to rob a bank before you do it, it won't end well for you. I would have also liked to see Cherno and Typhoon kicking some monster butt but in the context of the movie it made sense for them to just get the crap beat out of them. The EMP and Acid Spray were both attacks that up until that time had never been used. They were surprised by both attacks. Cherno's main advantage is its ridiculous armor which the Acid Spray reduced to nothing. Crimson Typhoons main advantage is its 3 arms and the one they send to attack it first just happens to have 2 arms and a prehensile attacking tail. Without the EMP, Striker Eureka would have killed Otachi no problem with its chest missiles and likely could have taken down Leatherback as well. These Kaiju were made specifically to counter Cherno, Striker, and Typhoon.

Coyote Tango, Japan's Jaeger piloted by Stacker, had giant shoulder mounted cannons on it but it had an abysmally low kill count of 2. The melee ones with ranged finishers tended to have higher kill counts with Striker Eureka having like 10. This might also have to do with the Kaiju having weakpoints that would need to be exposed to hit. Gipsy kept shooting Knifeface in the ribs under the arms where most creatures are weakest. Striker grabbed Bladehead's arms and held them apart while it used its chest missiles to obliterate it. Same with Gipsy and Slattern at the end with its Chest Beam. None of those kill shots would have been possible until the weaker points had been exposed which would not have happened without Melee engagement.

Something else that also bugged me a bit was Striker's sacrifice, why did Chuck have to die too? Could he not have simply ejected? If Gipsy, a Mark 2, has an eject system then you can bet that the Mark 5 Striker would. Chuck was a trained Pilot whose copilot was still fully alive, if injured, he would still be a valuable asset to have live especially if the mission was a failure. Stacker was already terminal so his sacrifice made sense but Chuck, despite being a jerk, should not have had to die.

Despite all that, I still quite enjoyed the film and I encourage everyone to see it. If only because it might make another Hellboy possible.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haven't seen it yet but who doesn't love mechas vs monsters??

I know I do! this is the closest to an Evangelion live action movie, so we got to enjoy the most of it

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diredrill:

About your third point, there was no time or room to really eject. Gipsy Danger had the advantage of a closed portal to cover him from the blast other than that Striker Eureka had two Kaiju in its immediate vicinity posing a threat. Had they applied the nuke but still ejected there was no guarantees that the escape pod would survive the blast of the nuke and even if Pentecost did it solo and had Chuck escape early the blast still seemed strong enough that a small pod would still be destroyed. Looking at Gipsy Dangers scenario in comparison not only did he have the aforementioned closed portal to block the blast from touching his escape pod but while he was down there there were no immediate threats that would have hindered the intended outcome.

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnygat: The ejector on the Gipsy Danger seemed to work pretty fast and it was again a Mark 2, the Mark 5 Striker's should have at least been equal if not better than Gipsy's. Given the difficulty of finding good pilots, having a team with 10 kills to their name is incredibly valuable so doing all you can to keep them alive would be important. Pentecost has proven to be able to solo pilot a jaeger so I see no reason why he couldn't lure them in and then detonate after giving Chuck enough time to escape. Even if he was unable to do so, it still gives Chuck a chance at life whereas he had none when he stayed. Given all this and the fact that they did not know if their plan was going to work, saving Chuck would be the best tactical option.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Arinya

@johnnygat: The ejector on the Gipsy Danger seemed to work pretty fast and it was again a Mark 2, the Mark 5 Striker's should have at least been equal if not better than Gipsy's. Given the difficulty of finding good pilots, having a team with 10 kills to their name is incredibly valuable so doing all you can to keep them alive would be important. Pentecost has proven to be able to solo pilot a jaeger so I see no reason why he couldn't lure them in and then detonate after giving Chuck enough time to escape. Even if he was unable to do so, it still gives Chuck a chance at life whereas he had none when he stayed. Given all this and the fact that they did not know if their plan was going to work, saving Chuck would be the best tactical option.

Stacker's a jerk! Herck should of reminded Stacker one more time that Chuck was his son......THAT'S MY SON!

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JohnnyGat

@diredrill said:

It was fast enough to get to the portal before it closed but what's to say it would have crossed a far enough distance from the blast radius of the nuke. Plus the difference in ejector capabilities would more likely be minimal as that wouldn't be the focus of the improvements. There is a higher probability that the eject system on the Striker Eureka might not be as advanced in comparison as to the other capabilities that were more focused on in terms of creation. Plus the Kaiju have shown they can be cautious, when Leatherback EMP'd Striker Eureka it didn't immediately resume it's attack what if the two Kaiju which were both within rushing distance noticed the escape pod, surely they wouldn't both rush in to attack. Point is they needed both Kaiju to attack and given previous knowledge that these things are at least smart enough to show caution, doing something out of the ordinary might create that caution that would prevent both to be within the nukes immediate blast distance. Granted in the end it seems like unnecessary but it was a gamble that they felt couldn't be risked.

Also iirc Gipsy Danger was a Mark 3

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DireDrill

@johnnygat: Again, Jaegers can be replaced but good pilots took alot of time to find, train, and even then it wasn't a sure thing that they could get the job done. Herc and Chuck had a proven track record making them some of the most valuable Pilots around. Keeping them alive would be more important than taking out the Kaiju. We are literally talking about a "Give a man a Fish situation." You expend a proven asset to potentially take out 2 Kaiju and allow your ally to POTENTIALLY take out the enemy war machine. It makes no sense at all to not even try and save Chuck.

The Kaiju already know what Striker Eureka's mission was thanks to Newt's Drift. Thanks to the Hive Mind, they all know what Striker looks like and they know that it doesn't usually have a giant backpack. The Glowing Lights that Striker was putting out before it went boom would have been just as big an indicator of danger as launching a projectile to the sky. Chuck was a valuable

Mark 3, Mark 2, it doesn't matter, it was still nowhere near as advanced as Striker Eureka. Again, considering how valuable good pilots are to the Jaeger Program, building the Jaeger to protect them as much as possible makes sense. A good eject system would be paramount to maintaining a functioning Jaeger program so advancing that would benefit the program immensely.

Sylvain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@xwraith said:

Bwah? Madness. Watch a trailer and form your own opinion, silly!

Loading Video...

Agree here peoples should watch the trailer,i mean peoples words are rarely true for you cause everyone is different.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnygat: Again, Jaegers can be replaced but good pilots took alot of time to find, train, and even then it wasn't a sure thing that they could get the job done. Herc and Chuck had a proven track record making them some of the most valuable Pilots around. Keeping them alive would be more important than taking out the Kaiju. We are literally talking about a "Give a man a Fish situation." You expend a proven asset to potentially take out 2 Kaiju and allow your ally to POTENTIALLY take out the enemy war machine. It makes no sense at all to not even try and save Chuck.

The Kaiju already know what Striker Eureka's mission was thanks to Newt's Drift. Thanks to the Hive Mind, they all know what Striker looks like and they know that it doesn't usually have a giant backpack. The Glowing Lights that Striker was putting out before it went boom would have been just as big an indicator of danger as launching a projectile to the sky. Chuck was a valuable

Mark 3, Mark 2, it doesn't matter, it was still nowhere near as advanced as Striker Eureka. Again, considering how valuable good pilots are to the Jaeger Program, building the Jaeger to protect them as much as possible makes sense. A good eject system would be paramount to maintaining a functioning Jaeger program so advancing that would benefit the program immensely.

I never said taking out the kaiju was the main point of the sacrifice the main point was to get Gipsy a clear path to close the portal which is in the long run a more viable end solution.

As much as good pilots are important the main goal was to make sure the portal would be closed. That was the whole point of the mission, sacrificing a good pilot is less detrimental to the mission which would throw a curveball at the enemy. As opposed to saving a pilot but failing that main mission would put the humans in a position with no Jaegers, at least one active Kaiju, and an open portal wherein more Kaiju could come out of, and given the increasing frequency and types of Kaiju's going through the portal and the fact that the Jaeger program is still underfunded what's to say there will be enough Jaegers built with the amount of Kaiju coming out.

In hindsight we know the Cat 5 Kaiju survived but I doubt they thought it would survive a point blank nuke so their sacrifice was perfectly in line with the situation that they were thinking it. And the end situation remains the same trying to save Chuck would be a gamble just as much as Gipsy Dangers mission however the payoff of the former is less than the latter and at the same time would create a riskier gamble within its own gamble as again because from their perspective if both Kaiju get blasted within close distance their assumptions would be that both would be taken out of the equation, they didn't believe it would just potentially kill both they thought it would kill both.

And yes they were aware of Strikers mission and that it had a Nuke but then again they know it's meant to get to the portal which it was a good distance away from. So for these two Kaiju it would be seen as a within the ordinary situation thereby making them less cautious than they possibly are capable off. A non-offensive projectile launched upwards is way more out of the ordinary than flashing lights on a robot (again a risk that it's understandable they weren't willing to take). Yes Chuck was a valuable but within the interlocking gambles that they threw his life wasn't as important as that of the mission and increasing Gipsy's shots in its gamble would still be the best option in the long run.

The difference between eject system would be minimal at best, they make the Jaegers with the focus on the combat capabilities both in arsenal and in how well it reacts to the pilots and their synergy to assume that the advancements in eject systems between the Striker and the Gipsy would be similar to saying that the flare guns in Striker shine brighter and have better range than flare guns in other Jaegers. So even if the pod travels at significantly faster speed than that of Gipsy's I still find it highly doubtful that it would escape the blast radius of the Nuke.

DireDrill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnygat: But there was no real evidence that their overall plan would work. This was putting all your eggs in one basket which from a military point of view is a bad idea. Giving Chuck a chance at survival makes more sense than just outright killing him.

Ejection Systems are drastically different now from when they were first invented. Fighter Pilots cost millions to train and we have spent millions trying to protect them in the same way.

I don't think we will agree on this.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnygat: But there was no real evidence that their overall plan would work. This was putting all your eggs in one basket which from a military point of view is a bad idea. Giving Chuck a chance at survival makes more sense than just outright killing him.

Ejection Systems are drastically different now from when they were first invented. Fighter Pilots cost millions to train and we have spent millions trying to protect them in the same way.

I don't think we will agree on this.

Even saving Chuck would be pointless as mentioned before, the Jaeger program was already underfunded and the governments were still insistent on the wall even after the Kaiju casually breached it in Australia. Save a pilot but without the proper weaponry and support and increasing levels of threat in quantity, quality and frequency the most logical choice for those in the Jaeger program was to put all their eggs in a single basket.

As opposed to what Pilots face today and giant monsters they still would doubtfully be built with the purpose of surviving a nuke at such a close range which was the main threat to the escape pod.

Agreed

PS: I love how this conversation is blacked out enough that it feels like it was some sort of classified discussion.