• 63 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I was having a conversation with a couple of mates about this the other day and I wondered what the internet thought. I don't follow DC comic books because most of their heroes are completely over powered in my opinion, especially Superman (I obviously do not think batman is overpowered with his complete lack of powers, just in case some one complains).

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Saren

I get a kick out of people complaining about Superman being overpowered when Marvel has people like Thor and Legion running around.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 35

#3  Edited By Deadcool

With the new 52 they are not overpowered anymore, you can read the DC universe now if the powerlevels used to bother you.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Billy Batson

Superman's so overpowered, hur dur herp derp.
BB

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Deadcool

@CitizenBane said:

I get a kick out of people complaining about Superman being overpowered when Marvel has people like Thor and Legion running around.

Thor is a God, and Superman is a random alien, and some versions of Superman are more powerful than Thor.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Deadcool

@Billy Batson said:

BB

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Saren

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

Thor is a God, and Superman is a random alien, and some versions of Superman are more powerful than Thor.

I'm talking about the number of powers each one possesses. Thor being a god doesn't change the fact that he has powers out the wazoo, many of which appear in a couple of issues at best and then disappear forever.

mervotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By mervotron

Here is my list of most over-powered characters...

• Scarlet Witch
  • Sentry
  • Superman
  • Mikhail Rasputin
  • Hulk
  • Wolverine
  • Phoenix

Feel free to add or take from this list...

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Deadcool

@CitizenBane said:

I'm talking about the number of powers each one possesses. Thor being a god doesn't change the fact that he has powers out the wazoo, many of which appear in a couple of issues at best and then disappear forever.

Yeah, but is different, DC powerlevels are so distant from one character to another, you have characters like Batman, or characters like Superman, and the average superhero is as powerful as Sups or more (as far as I know, If I am wrong, then my deepest apologies).

In Marvel, the average superhero are in the same level as Spider-man, and a couple of them are above Superman, like Flakling Richards, The Beyonder and the Molecule Man, but the amount of characters like this is really low.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

@Deadcool said:

@Billy Batson said:

BB

The latter part says the statement of Superman being overpowered is wrong. Most of the time Superman fights enemies that are on his level and when he fights someone below his level like Luthor, they usually use prep and Superman rarely goes all out on them because of his morals. And most of the other popular DC superheroes are on his level anyway.

And saying Batman isn't overpowered is also false. Guy knows pretty much every martial arts, has a professional expertise in almost every field of science and he can do pretty much everything with prep. Not calling Batman overpowered just some people underestimate him on a certain level.

and saying Marvel isn't overpowered is also false. They've got their reality warpers, Thor, Surfer/Heralds, omega level mutants, Dr. Strange, prep gods and etc. proves it.

BB

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Superman is not the only comic book I don't follow because he is over powered (again in my opinion), I don't follow Thor for instance and I'm not having a go at DC. But I do think Superman is too powerful to have a decent storyline, how often can someone get almost beaten by kryptonite/magic/use of hostages before it gets repetitive.

I sometimes forgive overpoweredness (is that a word?) provided the person has flaws to rival them, for instance Hulk has the whole weak Banner, stupid Hulk thing, the Sentry is crazy, Franklin Richards is just a kid and Batman has some issues

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Deadcool

@Billy Batson: Yeah, his statement about Superman is wrong, but...

BB

...Do you have to be mean about it?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Saren

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

Yeah, but is different, DC powerlevels are so distant from one character to another, you have characters like Batman, or characters like Superman, and the average superhero is as powerful as Sups or more (as far as I know, If I am wrong, then my deepest apologies).

In Marvel, the average superhero are in the same level as Spider-man, and a couple of them are above Superman, like Flakling Richards, The Beyonder and the Molecule Man, but the amount of characters like this is really low.

The average superhero in DC is nowhere near as powerful as Superman. Come on. Just because there are a few Superman-tier heroes like Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Captain Atom and Captain Marvel who are more popular than the Thor-tier heroes like Gladiator, Beta Ray Bill, Sentry and Hyperion, it does not follow that the average DC hero is suddenly as powerful as Superman. That is ridiculous, quite frankly.

And Marvel has a lot more reality warpers than DC does.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Saren

@guttridgeb said:

Superman is not the only comic book I don't follow because he is over powered (again in my opinion), I don't follow Thor for instance and I'm not having a go at DC. But I do think Superman is too powerful to have a decent storyline, how often can someone get almost beaten by kryptonite/magic/use of hostages before it gets repetitive

You don't need any of those things. All you need are villains on his level, people who can hurt him. Which he has plenty of.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deadcool

@CitizenBane said:

But they are not heroes...

Edit: Or known.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Saren

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

But they are not heroes...

Franklin Richards is a hero, Legion is a hero, Scarlet Witch is a hero, Wiccan is a hero, Nico Minoru is a hero, Jamie Braddock (as of his last appearance) is a hero.....and those are just the examples off the top of my head.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#17  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Billy Batson said:

BB

lol
clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By clemj

even if superman is overpowered, he still can get killed...  
if you look in the marvel universe, the sorcerer supreme is comletely overpowered 
 but I belive DC universe is  nice to follow because in that universe, even overpowered guys can have problems, and that's what DC universe is good at.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator

I don't, nor have I ever thought its about actual power level innit? All about context. That's what being "overpowered" really is, and some times its not so much about power but about the type of character a character is. Like I don't think Superman is overpowered personally. I read comics from both DC and Marvel of characters I think are as powerful or more, but I do think that DC,  realizes that a lot (a lot, not all) of fans who read Superman, do so because he is a wish fulfillment figure, and so its beneficial to not have him lose to often, and if he does, lose, it was because he was holding back, or a few issues later he will almost effortless destroy whatever character beat or nearly beat him. So to me, Superman is the Hulk Hogan and John Cena of comics. I mean, you have guys who are "stronger" and "better" fighters (or at least potentially) but everyone knows that they have to lose, not because of power levels, but because of the projected money. A lot of other characters from comics has this aura about them. Arguably not on the same level as Superman, or at least in his "niche" but well yeah. Despite this a good writer will be able to write "good" stories with him. Just depends.   

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Deadcool

@CitizenBane said:

Franklin Richards is a hero, Legion is a hero, Scarlet Witch is a hero, Wiccan is a hero, Nico Minoru is a hero, Jamie Braddock (as of his last appearance) is a hero.....and those are just the examples off the top of my head.

Wiccan and Nico are wizards dnd DC has wizards above their levels, but you are right, Marvel has more reality warpers, but now that I think about it, is not that they are overpowered what is wrong with DC, is the fact that some of the physical feats are crazy, also those feats belong to the most known characters in DC, Flash goes at least 3 times faster than light sor example, and Marvel most powerful characters are unknown for the average comic book reader, I wasn't aware of the existance of Jamie Braddock on the 616 universe until you told me.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Saren

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

Wiccan and Nico are wizards dnd DC has wizards above their levels, but you are right, Marvel has more reality warpers, but now that I think about it, is not that they are overpowered what is wrong with DC, is the fact that some of the physical feats are crazy, also those feats belong to the most known characters in DC, Flash goes at least 3 times faster than light sor example, and Marvel most powerful characters are unknown for the average comic book reader, I wasn't aware of the existance of Jamie Braddock on the 616 universe until you told me.

Their powers are classified as reality manipulation, especially Wiccan considering that the Scarlet Witch is his mother and he only exists as a result of reality warping anyway. Zatanna is also classified as a reality manipulator since she can essentially achieve any effect she desires via magic, just like Nico does with the Staff of One, and this is an ability other magicians like Strange and Fate can usually only replicate via more complex means than what Zee and Nico require. I don't think any of Superman's feats are crazier than any of Thor's feats. The "overpowered" feats belong to the most known characters because the most known characters in DC are the Justice League crowd, who are supposed to be powerful. Marvel has just as many overpowered people and feats, it's just that the most known characters in Marvel are people like Spider-Man, Captain America and Wolverine. That does not mean people like Thor, Bill, Sentry and Hyperion don't exist, does it? Or that they have their own batch of eyebrow raising feats?

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Deadcool

@CitizenBane said:

Their powers are classified as reality manipulation, especially Wiccan considering that the Scarlet Witch is his mother and he only exists as a result of reality warping anyway. Zatanna is also classified as a reality manipulator since she can essentially achieve any effect she desires via magic, just like Nico does with the Staff of One, and this is an ability other magicians like Strange and Fate can usually only replicate via more complex means than what Zee and Nico require.

Oh, I see...

I don't think any of Superman's feats are crazier than any of Thor's feats.

Oh really?!

The "overpowered" feats belong to the most known characters because the most known characters in DC are the Justice League crowd, who are supposed to be powerful. Marvel has just as many overpowered people and feats, it's just that the most known characters in Marvel are people like Spider-Man, Captain America and Wolverine. That does not mean people like Thor, Bill, Sentry and Hyperion don't exist, does it? Or that they have their own batch of eyebrow raising feats?

Yeah... that was what I said in my comment...

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Saren

@Deadcool said:

I don't think any of Superman's feats are crazier than any of Thor's feats.

Oh really?!

Really. Thor's thrown his hammer to the end of the universe and back in under a minute, destroyed planets, hurt Galactus, summoned attacks like the winds of a thousand worlds and the heat of a thousand suns that are just overcompensating, honestly. Why would you think Superman's feats are any more or less ridiculous than that?

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Deadcool

@CitizenBane said:

Thor's thrown his hammer to the end of the universe and back in under a minute

That one is probably poor writting, the universe is infinite.

destroyed planets

I am pretty sure that Sups is able to do it too, he should.

hurt Galactus

Well, a mosquito can hurt me aswell.

summoned attacks like the winds of a thousand worlds and the heat of a thousand suns that are just overcompensating

He is the god of storm, pretty much weather is his stuff, also doesn't specifies what planets, the winds of thousands of Jupiters sounds cool...

honestly, Why would you think Superman's feats are any more or less ridiculous than that?

I saw a scan of pre-new 52 Superman arm westling with an angel, and Thor vs Superman threads are full of crap from both, Superman and Thor.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Saren

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

Thor's thrown his hammer to the end of the universe and back in under a minute

That one is probably poor writting, the universe is infinite.

destroyed planets

I am pretty sure that Sups is able to do it too, he should.

hurt Galactus

Well, a mosquito can hurt me aswell.

summoned attacks like the winds of a thousand worlds and the heat of a thousand suns that are just overcompensating

He is the god of storm, pretty much weather is his stuff, also doesn't specifies what planets, the winds of thousands of Jupiters sounds cool...

honestly, Why would you think Superman's feats are any more or less ridiculous than that?

I saw a scan of pre-new 52 Superman arm westling with an angel, and Thor vs Superman threads are full of crap from both, Superman and Thor.

Why is Superman wrestling with an angel so ridiculous? Sentry tore a god in half. A mosquito can't send you running for the hills, can it?

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Enosisik

Jeebus... Eyes of the beholder.. Hulk is over powered, because he is very very strong huh... Well that's his character .. He's the strongest there is. That's the whole point! Superman.. Are you frickin kidding me when you're talking about Thor's one time power feats? Do you know how many powers Superman actually has but are almost never shown? He's practically telepathic but they never show it , because why? Because with all the powers they've given him over the years the only thing that would be above him would need to be the literal God . It's a comic, it's a story that is ever changing and adjusting to the times. Enjoy the books and stop complaining about minor problems like who has one extra power that you oh maybe only saw once but that one time just made them to powerfully even though they never do it again. And to explain the one time power feats.. I've dunked a basketball a few times in my life but I can't do it every day. I've lifted amounts of weight that I probably will never do again without hurting myself . I've done lots of things that I was only able to do when I was in 'the zone' or has the right conditions. It's a part of real life as well as super powers in comics and has been explained as such in various stories in the past.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Most of DC

DC even made Green Arrow a metahuman

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I don't see many people overpowered. I see a reason for why they're that level. Superman, is a super evolved member of an alien species. Thor is a god. Silver Surfer, given powers by a god-like being who is probably older than most Gods. My knowledge of Galactus is slim. Most metahumans, mutants, whatever is a reason in itself for breaking normal human boundaries. Cosmic radiation would kill normal people. but it's a comic so they have leeway because of that fact to do whatever they like. Hulk is harder to explain, gamma radiation kills cells. However since my knowledge of his origins are vague I wouldn't want to speculate and chat sh!t like most people do when they say this character and that character are overpowered.

You know what I say? GET OVER IT!

Avatar image for dementedtheclown
dementedtheclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dementedtheclown

This argument is dumb, why the hell would you want little weakling superheroes? The answer to overpowered superheroes is overpowered villains. Which is why dragonball worked, well that and they earned their power threw training.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CODYSF
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for space_captain_ulyverse
Space_Captain_Ulyverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jnr6Lil said:

Most of DC

When did they do that? Because wooooaahh that's a silly idea.

And I agree with everyone who has said it's just about context within being overpowered. Depends who's writing who at the end of the day. It's like Batman, he can get up from insane situations one arc, then a writer change and he'll be struggling to get through a fight. I think the difference with someone like Superman is that writers are use to him being really super-duper overpowered so it does become a continuing trend? But that's just my bowl of cherries.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Raiiyn

@SC said:

I don't, nor have I ever thought its about actual power level innit? All about context. That's what being "overpowered" really is, and some times its not so much about power but about the type of character a character is. Like I don't think Superman is overpowered personally. I read comics from both DC and Marvel of characters I think are as powerful or more, but I do think that DC, realizes that a lot (a lot, not all)of fans who read Superman, do so because he is a wish fulfillment figure, and so its beneficial to not have him lose to often, and if he does, lose, it was because he was holding back, or a few issues later he will almost effortless destroy whatever character beat or nearly beat him. So to me, Superman is the Hulk Hogan and John Cena of comics. I mean, you have guys who are "stronger" and "better" fighters (or at least potentially) but everyone knows that they have to lose, not because of power levels, but because of the projected money. A lot of other characters from comics has this aura about them. Arguably not on the same level as Superman, or at least in his "niche" but well yeah. Despite this a good writer will be able to write "good" stories with him. Just depends.

NO.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Strider1992

@mervotron said:

Here is my list of most over-powered characters...

• Scarlet Witch
  • Sentry
  • Superman
  • Mikhail Rasputin
  • Hulk
  • Wolverine
  • Phoenix

Feel free to add or take from this list...

Add Juggernaut to that list and then I agree.

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash and Batman

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

A lot of people say that Superman is overpowered. I believe it depends on the writer who writes him. Some writers show that he is very powerful ,but others try to write him a little weaker.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Deranged Midget

Honestly? Superman overpowered? Does anyone pay attention to Batman lately? The man was starved to near death, beaten to a pulp, and stabbed through his abdomen and STILL nearly killed Talon in Batman #6. The complete bull of "he can do anything with enough prep", knowing nearly every martial art AND mastering each one, and being one of the smartest humans on DC Earth all because his parents were murdered. Give me a break...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Raiiyn:  Don't make me get the Swiffler! For some Swiffling uh?  
Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Space_Captain_Ulyverse said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

Most of DC

When did they do that? Because wooooaahh that's a silly idea.

And I agree with everyone who has said it's just about context within being overpowered. Depends who's writing who at the end of the day. It's like Batman, he can get up from insane situations one arc, then a writer change and he'll be struggling to get through a fight. I think the difference with someone like Superman is that writers are use to him being really super-duper overpowered so it does become a continuing trend? But that's just my bowl of cherries.

Oliver Queen's powers, if any, remain unknown. It has been rumored that Green Arrow may in fact be ametahuman. The Department of Extranormal Operations has a classified dossier on Queen, wherein they indicate such a possibility, but as of yet, this information has not been confirmed nor denied

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deadcool

@CitizenBane said:

Why is Superman wrestling with an angel so ridiculous?

I don't know, but I told you, is full of crap, I prefer to disscuss with well defined street level characters.

Sentry tore a god in half.

A god of war, what he does the best is war, and in mythology he is not impresive either, I mean he is not the god of power, Thor has awesome feats in Mythology and the weather in another planets is really chaotic, so, being overpowered is in character.

A mosquito can't send you running for the hills, can it?

Well, I live in a tropical zone, so, a mosquito can kill me.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Raiiyn

@SC: But that's not a punishment =) I lubber me some swiffering! so.. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO =) **blows kiss** ;)

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I hate Thor. I usually hate Superman, although there are times where I enjoy him (such as the current Action Comics). I don't have a problem with most other vastly overpowered characters because they don't hang around lower-level heroes so much. Thor and Superman are consistently on teams with people of significantly lower power levels, which really bugs me.

There's my two cents.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Raiiyn

@Deranged Midget said:

Honestly? Superman overpowered? Does anyone pay attention to Batman lately? The man was starved to near death, beaten to a pulp, and stabbed through his abdomen and STILL nearly killed Talon in Batman #6. The complete bull of "he can do anything with enough prep", knowing nearly every martial art AND mastering each one, and being one of the smartest humans on DC Earth all because his parents were murdered. Give me a break...

This.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#44  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

To me, Hulk, he's not overpowered per se, I actually like his powerset, but I hate how he constantly does things he shouldn't be able to do, he's just a human with enhanced strength and durability, he should NOT be immune to telepathy, he should NOT be able to breath in space, he should NOT be able to fight magical beings and win, and he should NOT be able to beat gods, I don't care how mad he is (the whole limitless strength thing is a load a manure too)

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cattlebattle

The Flash and most of his villains are pretty ridiculous, they all seem to have dues ex machina powers at times. Whatever happened to just being able to move fast being a cool power

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By X35

Sentry and Noh-Varr.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jeanroygrant

Flash and Zoom or any Flash. Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, Bart Allen, Wally West, are a couple.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@Raiiyn said:

@Deranged Midget said:

This.

@cattlebattle said:

The Flash and most of his villains are pretty ridiculous, they all seem to have dues ex machina powers at times. Whatever happened to just being able to move fast being a cool power

Telepaths are overpowered also. They used to be only able to read minds.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Marvel has more overpowered characters than DC does. Think about how many Telekinetics and Reality Warpers Marvel have ON EARTH. Someone like Jean Grey, if she wasn't an incompetent bafoon, could handle virtually 90% of X-Men related threats on her own. Adult Franklin can handle EVERY Earth threat on his own. 

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By reactor

Marvel is busting at the seams with absurdly overpowered characters, usually psionic. Telepaths and telekinetics are by far the worst offenders, along with reality warpers. Don't even get me started on their cosmic and near-cosmic entities, like Phoenix and Silver Surfer. DC characters like to make big bangs, which I like. That's what I want to read. But people popping out mini universes, mindraping everyone, telekinetically able to do virtually anything they want, and so on... that's just unbearable for me.