• 63 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I was having a conversation with a couple of mates about this the other day and I wondered what the internet thought. I don't follow DC comic books because most of their heroes are completely over powered in my opinion, especially Superman (I obviously do not think batman is overpowered with his complete lack of powers, just in case some one complains).

#2 Posted by Saren (25070 posts) - - Show Bio

I get a kick out of people complaining about Superman being overpowered when Marvel has people like Thor and Legion running around.

Moderator
#3 Posted by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

With the new 52 they are not overpowered anymore, you can read the DC universe now if the powerlevels used to bother you.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's so overpowered, hur dur herp derp.
BB

#5 Posted by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

I get a kick out of people complaining about Superman being overpowered when Marvel has people like Thor and Legion running around.

Thor is a God, and Superman is a random alien, and some versions of Superman are more powerful than Thor.

#6 Posted by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Superman's so overpowered, hur dur herp derp.
BB

...

#7 Edited by Saren (25070 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

I get a kick out of people complaining about Superman being overpowered when Marvel has people like Thor and Legion running around.

Thor is a God, and Superman is a random alien, and some versions of Superman are more powerful than Thor.

I'm talking about the number of powers each one possesses. Thor being a god doesn't change the fact that he has powers out the wazoo, many of which appear in a couple of issues at best and then disappear forever.

Moderator
#8 Posted by mervotron (257 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is my list of most over-powered characters...

  • Scarlet Witch
  • Sentry
  • Superman
  • Mikhail Rasputin
  • Hulk
  • Wolverine
  • Phoenix

Feel free to add or take from this list...

#9 Posted by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

I'm talking about the number of powers each one possesses. Thor being a god doesn't change the fact that he has powers out the wazoo, many of which appear in a couple of issues at best and then disappear forever.

Yeah, but is different, DC powerlevels are so distant from one character to another, you have characters like Batman, or characters like Superman, and the average superhero is as powerful as Sups or more (as far as I know, If I am wrong, then my deepest apologies).

In Marvel, the average superhero are in the same level as Spider-man, and a couple of them are above Superman, like Flakling Richards, The Beyonder and the Molecule Man, but the amount of characters like this is really low.

#10 Edited by Billy Batson (58309 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@Billy Batson said:

Superman's so overpowered, hur dur herp derp.
BB

...

The latter part says the statement of Superman being overpowered is wrong. Most of the time Superman fights enemies that are on his level and when he fights someone below his level like Luthor, they usually use prep and Superman rarely goes all out on them because of his morals. And most of the other popular DC superheroes are on his level anyway.

And saying Batman isn't overpowered is also false. Guy knows pretty much every martial arts, has a professional expertise in almost every field of science and he can do pretty much everything with prep. Not calling Batman overpowered just some people underestimate him on a certain level.

and saying Marvel isn't overpowered is also false. They've got their reality warpers, Thor, Surfer/Heralds, omega level mutants, Dr. Strange, prep gods and etc. proves it.

BB

#11 Edited by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is not the only comic book I don't follow because he is over powered (again in my opinion), I don't follow Thor for instance and I'm not having a go at DC. But I do think Superman is too powerful to have a decent storyline, how often can someone get almost beaten by kryptonite/magic/use of hostages before it gets repetitive.

I sometimes forgive overpoweredness (is that a word?) provided the person has flaws to rival them, for instance Hulk has the whole weak Banner, stupid Hulk thing, the Sentry is crazy, Franklin Richards is just a kid and Batman has some issues

#12 Posted by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Yeah, his statement about Superman is wrong, but...

Superman's so overpowered, hur dur herp derp.
BB

...Do you have to be mean about it?

#13 Posted by Saren (25070 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

I'm talking about the number of powers each one possesses. Thor being a god doesn't change the fact that he has powers out the wazoo, many of which appear in a couple of issues at best and then disappear forever.

Yeah, but is different, DC powerlevels are so distant from one character to another, you have characters like Batman, or characters like Superman, and the average superhero is as powerful as Sups or more (as far as I know, If I am wrong, then my deepest apologies).

In Marvel, the average superhero are in the same level as Spider-man, and a couple of them are above Superman, like Flakling Richards, The Beyonder and the Molecule Man, but the amount of characters like this is really low.

The average superhero in DC is nowhere near as powerful as Superman. Come on. Just because there are a few Superman-tier heroes like Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Captain Atom and Captain Marvel who are more popular than the Thor-tier heroes like Gladiator, Beta Ray Bill, Sentry and Hyperion, it does not follow that the average DC hero is suddenly as powerful as Superman. That is ridiculous, quite frankly.

And Marvel has a lot more reality warpers than DC does.

Moderator
#14 Posted by Saren (25070 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

Superman is not the only comic book I don't follow because he is over powered (again in my opinion), I don't follow Thor for instance and I'm not having a go at DC. But I do think Superman is too powerful to have a decent storyline, how often can someone get almost beaten by kryptonite/magic/use of hostages before it gets repetitive

You don't need any of those things. All you need are villains on his level, people who can hurt him. Which he has plenty of.

Moderator
#15 Edited by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

And Marvel has a lot more reality warpers than DC does.

But they are not heroes...

Edit: Or known.

#16 Posted by Saren (25070 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

And Marvel has a lot more reality warpers than DC does.

But they are not heroes...

Franklin Richards is a hero, Legion is a hero, Scarlet Witch is a hero, Wiccan is a hero, Nico Minoru is a hero, Jamie Braddock (as of his last appearance) is a hero.....and those are just the examples off the top of my head.

Moderator
#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34978 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

Superman's so overpowered, hur dur herp derp.
BB

lol
#18 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

even if superman is overpowered, he still can get killed...  
if you look in the marvel universe, the sorcerer supreme is comletely overpowered 
 but I belive DC universe is  nice to follow because in that universe, even overpowered guys can have problems, and that's what DC universe is good at.

#19 Edited by SC (13349 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't, nor have I ever thought its about actual power level innit? All about context. That's what being "overpowered" really is, and some times its not so much about power but about the type of character a character is. Like I don't think Superman is overpowered personally. I read comics from both DC and Marvel of characters I think are as powerful or more, but I do think that DC,  realizes that a lot (a lot, not all) of fans who read Superman, do so because he is a wish fulfillment figure, and so its beneficial to not have him lose to often, and if he does, lose, it was because he was holding back, or a few issues later he will almost effortless destroy whatever character beat or nearly beat him. So to me, Superman is the Hulk Hogan and John Cena of comics. I mean, you have guys who are "stronger" and "better" fighters (or at least potentially) but everyone knows that they have to lose, not because of power levels, but because of the projected money. A lot of other characters from comics has this aura about them. Arguably not on the same level as Superman, or at least in his "niche" but well yeah. Despite this a good writer will be able to write "good" stories with him. Just depends.   

Moderator
#20 Posted by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Franklin Richards is a hero, Legion is a hero, Scarlet Witch is a hero, Wiccan is a hero, Nico Minoru is a hero, Jamie Braddock (as of his last appearance) is a hero.....and those are just the examples off the top of my head.

Wiccan and Nico are wizards dnd DC has wizards above their levels, but you are right, Marvel has more reality warpers, but now that I think about it, is not that they are overpowered what is wrong with DC, is the fact that some of the physical feats are crazy, also those feats belong to the most known characters in DC, Flash goes at least 3 times faster than light sor example, and Marvel most powerful characters are unknown for the average comic book reader, I wasn't aware of the existance of Jamie Braddock on the 616 universe until you told me.

#21 Posted by Saren (25070 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

Franklin Richards is a hero, Legion is a hero, Scarlet Witch is a hero, Wiccan is a hero, Nico Minoru is a hero, Jamie Braddock (as of his last appearance) is a hero.....and those are just the examples off the top of my head.

Wiccan and Nico are wizards dnd DC has wizards above their levels, but you are right, Marvel has more reality warpers, but now that I think about it, is not that they are overpowered what is wrong with DC, is the fact that some of the physical feats are crazy, also those feats belong to the most known characters in DC, Flash goes at least 3 times faster than light sor example, and Marvel most powerful characters are unknown for the average comic book reader, I wasn't aware of the existance of Jamie Braddock on the 616 universe until you told me.

Their powers are classified as reality manipulation, especially Wiccan considering that the Scarlet Witch is his mother and he only exists as a result of reality warping anyway. Zatanna is also classified as a reality manipulator since she can essentially achieve any effect she desires via magic, just like Nico does with the Staff of One, and this is an ability other magicians like Strange and Fate can usually only replicate via more complex means than what Zee and Nico require. I don't think any of Superman's feats are crazier than any of Thor's feats. The "overpowered" feats belong to the most known characters because the most known characters in DC are the Justice League crowd, who are supposed to be powerful. Marvel has just as many overpowered people and feats, it's just that the most known characters in Marvel are people like Spider-Man, Captain America and Wolverine. That does not mean people like Thor, Bill, Sentry and Hyperion don't exist, does it? Or that they have their own batch of eyebrow raising feats?

Moderator
#22 Posted by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Their powers are classified as reality manipulation, especially Wiccan considering that the Scarlet Witch is his mother and he only exists as a result of reality warping anyway. Zatanna is also classified as a reality manipulator since she can essentially achieve any effect she desires via magic, just like Nico does with the Staff of One, and this is an ability other magicians like Strange and Fate can usually only replicate via more complex means than what Zee and Nico require.

Oh, I see...

I don't think any of Superman's feats are crazier than any of Thor's feats.

Oh really?!

The "overpowered" feats belong to the most known characters because the most known characters in DC are the Justice League crowd, who are supposed to be powerful. Marvel has just as many overpowered people and feats, it's just that the most known characters in Marvel are people like Spider-Man, Captain America and Wolverine. That does not mean people like Thor, Bill, Sentry and Hyperion don't exist, does it? Or that they have their own batch of eyebrow raising feats?

Yeah... that was what I said in my comment...

#23 Edited by Saren (25070 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

I don't think any of Superman's feats are crazier than any of Thor's feats.

Oh really?!

Really. Thor's thrown his hammer to the end of the universe and back in under a minute, destroyed planets, hurt Galactus, summoned attacks like the winds of a thousand worlds and the heat of a thousand suns that are just overcompensating, honestly. Why would you think Superman's feats are any more or less ridiculous than that?

Moderator
#24 Posted by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Thor's thrown his hammer to the end of the universe and back in under a minute

That one is probably poor writting, the universe is infinite.

destroyed planets

I am pretty sure that Sups is able to do it too, he should.

hurt Galactus

Well, a mosquito can hurt me aswell.

summoned attacks like the winds of a thousand worlds and the heat of a thousand suns that are just overcompensating

He is the god of storm, pretty much weather is his stuff, also doesn't specifies what planets, the winds of thousands of Jupiters sounds cool...

honestly, Why would you think Superman's feats are any more or less ridiculous than that?

I saw a scan of pre-new 52 Superman arm westling with an angel, and Thor vs Superman threads are full of crap from both, Superman and Thor.

#25 Posted by Saren (25070 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deadcool said:

@CitizenBane said:

Thor's thrown his hammer to the end of the universe and back in under a minute

That one is probably poor writting, the universe is infinite.

destroyed planets

I am pretty sure that Sups is able to do it too, he should.

hurt Galactus

Well, a mosquito can hurt me aswell.

summoned attacks like the winds of a thousand worlds and the heat of a thousand suns that are just overcompensating

He is the god of storm, pretty much weather is his stuff, also doesn't specifies what planets, the winds of thousands of Jupiters sounds cool...

honestly, Why would you think Superman's feats are any more or less ridiculous than that?

I saw a scan of pre-new 52 Superman arm westling with an angel, and Thor vs Superman threads are full of crap from both, Superman and Thor.

Why is Superman wrestling with an angel so ridiculous? Sentry tore a god in half. A mosquito can't send you running for the hills, can it?

Moderator
#26 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeebus... Eyes of the beholder.. Hulk is over powered, because he is very very strong huh... Well that's his character .. He's the strongest there is. That's the whole point! Superman.. Are you frickin kidding me when you're talking about Thor's one time power feats? Do you know how many powers Superman actually has but are almost never shown? He's practically telepathic but they never show it , because why? Because with all the powers they've given him over the years the only thing that would be above him would need to be the literal God . It's a comic, it's a story that is ever changing and adjusting to the times. Enjoy the books and stop complaining about minor problems like who has one extra power that you oh maybe only saw once but that one time just made them to powerfully even though they never do it again. And to explain the one time power feats.. I've dunked a basketball a few times in my life but I can't do it every day. I've lifted amounts of weight that I probably will never do again without hurting myself . I've done lots of things that I was only able to do when I was in 'the zone' or has the right conditions. It's a part of real life as well as super powers in comics and has been explained as such in various stories in the past.

#28 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7830 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of DC

DC even made Green Arrow a metahuman

#29 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11268 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see many people overpowered. I see a reason for why they're that level. Superman, is a super evolved member of an alien species. Thor is a god. Silver Surfer, given powers by a god-like being who is probably older than most Gods. My knowledge of Galactus is slim. Most metahumans, mutants, whatever is a reason in itself for breaking normal human boundaries. Cosmic radiation would kill normal people. but it's a comic so they have leeway because of that fact to do whatever they like. Hulk is harder to explain, gamma radiation kills cells. However since my knowledge of his origins are vague I wouldn't want to speculate and chat sh!t like most people do when they say this character and that character are overpowered.

You know what I say? GET OVER IT!

#30 Posted by dementedtheclown (744 posts) - - Show Bio

This argument is dumb, why the hell would you want little weakling superheroes? The answer to overpowered superheroes is overpowered villains. Which is why dragonball worked, well that and they earned their power threw training.

#31 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by Space_Captain_Ulyverse (33 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

Most of DC

DC even made Green Arrow a metahuman

When did they do that? Because wooooaahh that's a silly idea.

And I agree with everyone who has said it's just about context within being overpowered. Depends who's writing who at the end of the day. It's like Batman, he can get up from insane situations one arc, then a writer change and he'll be struggling to get through a fight. I think the difference with someone like Superman is that writers are use to him being really super-duper overpowered so it does become a continuing trend? But that's just my bowl of cherries.

#33 Posted by Raiiyn (3597 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

I don't, nor have I ever thought its about actual power level innit? All about context. That's what being "overpowered" really is, and some times its not so much about power but about the type of character a character is. Like I don't think Superman is overpowered personally. I read comics from both DC and Marvel of characters I think are as powerful or more, but I do think that DC, realizes that a lot (a lot, not all)of fans who read Superman, do so because he is a wish fulfillment figure, and so its beneficial to not have him lose to often, and if he does, lose, it was because he was holding back, or a few issues later he will almost effortless destroy whatever character beat or nearly beat him. So to me, Superman is the Hulk Hogan and John Cena of comics. I mean, you have guys who are "stronger" and "better" fighters (or at least potentially) but everyone knows that they have to lose, not because of power levels, but because of the projected money. A lot of other characters from comics has this aura about them. Arguably not on the same level as Superman, or at least in his "niche" but well yeah. Despite this a good writer will be able to write "good" stories with him. Just depends.

NO.

#34 Posted by Strider92 (16827 posts) - - Show Bio

@mervotron said:

Here is my list of most over-powered characters...

  • Scarlet Witch
  • Sentry
  • Superman
  • Mikhail Rasputin
  • Hulk
  • Wolverine
  • Phoenix

Feel free to add or take from this list...

Add Juggernaut to that list and then I agree.

#35 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash and Batman

#36 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7554 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of people say that Superman is overpowered. I believe it depends on the writer who writes him. Some writers show that he is very powerful ,but others try to write him a little weaker.

#37 Posted by Deranged Midget (17965 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly? Superman overpowered? Does anyone pay attention to Batman lately? The man was starved to near death, beaten to a pulp, and stabbed through his abdomen and STILL nearly killed Talon in Batman #6. The complete bull of "he can do anything with enough prep", knowing nearly every martial art AND mastering each one, and being one of the smartest humans on DC Earth all because his parents were murdered. Give me a break...

Moderator
#38 Posted by SC (13349 posts) - - Show Bio
@Raiiyn:  Don't make me get the Swiffler! For some Swiffling uh?  
Moderator
#39 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Space_Captain_Ulyverse said:

@Jnr6Lil said:

Most of DC

DC even made Green Arrow a metahuman

When did they do that? Because wooooaahh that's a silly idea.

And I agree with everyone who has said it's just about context within being overpowered. Depends who's writing who at the end of the day. It's like Batman, he can get up from insane situations one arc, then a writer change and he'll be struggling to get through a fight. I think the difference with someone like Superman is that writers are use to him being really super-duper overpowered so it does become a continuing trend? But that's just my bowl of cherries.

Oliver Queen's powers, if any, remain unknown. It has been rumored that Green Arrow may in fact be ametahuman. The Department of Extranormal Operations has a classified dossier on Queen, wherein they indicate such a possibility, but as of yet, this information has not been confirmed nor denied

#40 Posted by Deadcool (6754 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Why is Superman wrestling with an angel so ridiculous?

I don't know, but I told you, is full of crap, I prefer to disscuss with well defined street level characters.

Sentry tore a god in half.

A god of war, what he does the best is war, and in mythology he is not impresive either, I mean he is not the god of power, Thor has awesome feats in Mythology and the weather in another planets is really chaotic, so, being overpowered is in character.

A mosquito can't send you running for the hills, can it?

Well, I live in a tropical zone, so, a mosquito can kill me.

#41 Posted by Raiiyn (3597 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: But that's not a punishment =) I lubber me some swiffering! so.. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO =) **blows kiss** ;)

#42 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Thor. I usually hate Superman, although there are times where I enjoy him (such as the current Action Comics). I don't have a problem with most other vastly overpowered characters because they don't hang around lower-level heroes so much. Thor and Superman are consistently on teams with people of significantly lower power levels, which really bugs me.

There's my two cents.

#43 Posted by Raiiyn (3597 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Honestly? Superman overpowered? Does anyone pay attention to Batman lately? The man was starved to near death, beaten to a pulp, and stabbed through his abdomen and STILL nearly killed Talon in Batman #6. The complete bull of "he can do anything with enough prep", knowing nearly every martial art AND mastering each one, and being one of the smartest humans on DC Earth all because his parents were murdered. Give me a break...

This.

#44 Posted by The Stegman (25984 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, Hulk, he's not overpowered per se, I actually like his powerset, but I hate how he constantly does things he shouldn't be able to do, he's just a human with enhanced strength and durability, he should NOT be immune to telepathy, he should NOT be able to breath in space, he should NOT be able to fight magical beings and win, and he should NOT be able to beat gods, I don't care how mad he is (the whole limitless strength thing is a load a manure too)

#45 Posted by cattlebattle (13347 posts) - - Show Bio

The Flash and most of his villains are pretty ridiculous, they all seem to have dues ex machina powers at times. Whatever happened to just being able to move fast being a cool power

#46 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Sentry and Noh-Varr.

#47 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash and Zoom or any Flash. Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, Bart Allen, Wally West, are a couple.

#48 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7830 posts) - - Show Bio

@Raiiyn said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Honestly? Superman overpowered? Does anyone pay attention to Batman lately? The man was starved to near death, beaten to a pulp, and stabbed through his abdomen and STILL nearly killed Talon in Batman #6. The complete bull of "he can do anything with enough prep", knowing nearly every martial art AND mastering each one, and being one of the smartest humans on DC Earth all because his parents were murdered. Give me a break...

This.

@cattlebattle said:

The Flash and most of his villains are pretty ridiculous, they all seem to have dues ex machina powers at times. Whatever happened to just being able to move fast being a cool power

Telepaths are overpowered also. They used to be only able to read minds.

#49 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has more overpowered characters than DC does. Think about how many Telekinetics and Reality Warpers Marvel have ON EARTH. Someone like Jean Grey, if she wasn't an incompetent bafoon, could handle virtually 90% of X-Men related threats on her own. Adult Franklin can handle EVERY Earth threat on his own. 

#50 Posted by Reactor (2662 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel is busting at the seams with absurdly overpowered characters, usually psionic. Telepaths and telekinetics are by far the worst offenders, along with reality warpers. Don't even get me started on their cosmic and near-cosmic entities, like Phoenix and Silver Surfer. DC characters like to make big bangs, which I like. That's what I want to read. But people popping out mini universes, mindraping everyone, telekinetically able to do virtually anything they want, and so on... that's just unbearable for me.