Outfits of female Heroes: Functional of Fan Service?

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JBBuc

In the age of political correctness and hyper-sensitivity, one issue that seems to have crept into the consciousnesses of comic book writers, readers and critics is the attire of female comic book characters. There are two clearly divided sides on the issue. First there is the 'anti-objectification' side that says the skimpy clothes of popular female characters are impractical and serve no purpose other than titillation for male readers. On the other side is the 'less-is-more' camp which says that comics are art, and art should maximize visual appeal. This is an topic that really gets under my skin, and honestly, this post is my final attempt to settle an argument that I have been having for months with a friend who has bought into the cover-em-up propaganda.

Now, let me be very clear. I am staunchly a 'less-is-more' advocate. To me, there might not be anything more aesthetically pleasing than a well built woman in a form fitting outfit. But my question is this: does skimpy or form fitting automatically mean impractical? The 'anti-objectification' camp argues yes. They are wrong. Now, here is where I could launch a 5 paragraph dissertation why outfits with less restriction of movement are much better for the physical activities that heroines engage in, but lets face it; pictures are worth a thousand words. So what do women who regularly perform feats of near super-human speed, dexterity and athleticism actually wear? 

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Watch the gymnastics, collage volleyball, swimming, track and field or any other women's sport where speed and flexibility are at a premium. Tell me how many pants suits and cumbersome jackets you see. The 'She's trying to distract the villains' argument is, lets face it, a reach at best. But that doesn't mean that high aesthetic appeal outfits can't be functional AND entirely plausible. As a matter of fact, I would argue that real world evidence shows that the traditional small, spandex outfits of female heroes are far more realistic and functional than their watered down, maximum coverage, politically corrected counterparts. 

Agree or disagree? If you think I'm wrong, I would like to hear why.
Avatar image for andy_steven_summers
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JBBuc said:
Agree
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

Starfire. 'Nuff said.

_Marco_Smith_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By _Marco_Smith_
@The Dark Huntress: You think her cloths are practical?
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mercy_

@_Marco_Smith_: No, that would be an example of fan service, pure and simple.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Kal'smahboi

The difference between the women that you've shown here and what we generally see in comics is breast support. Comic book women are far too busty for the clothing that they wear to even be comfortable, much less functional.

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JBBuc

Ok...I agree, there are some examples of outfits that are hard to defend as more than fan-service and Starfire's outfit is extraordinarily revealing. But let me just throw something out there. Humor me for a sec... From the Starfire page in this very site, under Powers and Abilities... 
"Starfire's body continually absorbs ultraviolet radiation, which she then converts into the energy that powers her starbolts and her ability to fly. " 

Now, if her body absorbs UV rays as a source of energy, wouldn't it make sense to maximize her exposure to those rays? Sure, that could be a case of retroactive justification (just made that up), but I think it falls into the category of form (visual appeal) and function (serving a purpose). 

Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!
@Kal'smahboi: Imagine the pain they feel walking around in those things. Also sometimes my mind wonders off while I read comics with women distortion women if they ever feel the pain of their waist being too small or if Michael Turner's women feel their organs well clamped up together. 
Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Morgaine_Levesque
@JBBuc said:
Now, if her body absorbs UV rays as a source of energy, wouldn't it make sense to maximize her exposure to those rays? 
Supes (and all Kryptonians) also derive energy and powers from the (yellow) sun...yet he wears a full body costume. 
Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!
@Morgaine_de_Bourbon: Because Supes is a man silly. Men don't look attractive wearing skimpy outfits, unless you're Billy Herrington. You get a free pass on that one.
cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By cosmo111687

Taking Cammy from Street Fighter as an example, her outfit is actually incredibly functional for the level of acrobatics she is expected to perform for her particular style of fighting. However, it's clear that, based upon the camera angles and poses that she strikes, the creators of Street Fighter wish for her to be taken as the "fan-service" character, in contrast to the more modestly dressed Chun-Li. (Even though Cammy's role as fan-service has become less and less prominent as she has developed from game to game.) Or, returning to comic books, there's no real reason why we had to see Dove's "tail" in this shot of Birds of Prey, except to provide some completely superficial titillation:

No Caption Provided
It's in these instances (which are only two of thousands), when the creators are so blatantly providing fan-service, that fans begin to criticize how women characters are so regularly objectified. I certainly feel that way whenever fans see Cammy and Dove and think nothing more than "dat ass." 
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By pixelized

@cosmo111687 said:

However, it's clear that, based upon the camera angles and poses that she strikes, the creators of Street Fighter wish for her to be taken as the "fan-service" character, in contrast to the more modestly dressed Chun-Li.

Are you talking about her days in the tracksuit and not her signature stockings + ripped shirt combo?

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Aiden Cross

Good topic, I agree =)

Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I'maDC/ImageGuy! said:
@Morgaine_de_Bourbon: Because Supes is a man silly. Men don't look attractive wearing skimpy outfits, unless you're Billy Herrington. You get a free pass on that one.
Pffffft. There are women out there who would disagree ;p
Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aiden Cross

Frankly it would make more sense for kryptonians to fight naked.

Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be okay with that...

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aiden Cross

I would be easier to change to his superhero outfit. 

"Here he comes to save the day! Superman is streaking his way!"

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pixelized

I can't 100% agree with the OP. Pyslocke was one of the first people that popped into my mind when I read the topic. Once upon a time a special suit was created for Elizabeth's best friend, Alison Blaire, or Dazzler to some, that would absorb and store sound for her to use later. With that kind of tech roaming around, there's no reason why Psy should have to dawn a bikini and use flexibility as her reason for doing so.

All female characters don't need to be covered from the neck down. Someone like Monet St. Croix who is near totally invulnerable, can wear whatever she wants as being hit with a car does nothing to her, but someone like Psylocke, who has died before, should consider finding something new to wear.

Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly. Costumes can still be sexy and sparse while being functional. It's when you have characters like Slutfire whose costume is pure fanservice while having absolute no functionality that make me not agree with the entire statement itself.  

If it makes sense, sure, let the skin show. But if it's being done purely for shock value or for fan service purposes, then screw it. 

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cosmo111687
@pixelized said:

@cosmo111687 said:

However, it's clear that, based upon the camera angles and poses that she strikes, the creators of Street Fighter wish for her to be taken as the "fan-service" character, in contrast to the more modestly dressed Chun-Li.

Are you talking about her days in the tracksuit and not her signature stockings + ripped shirt combo?

Oh, the other way around. I'm referring to her traditional costume, not her costume from the Alpha series. There are times when an artist will manipulate her pose and position the camera angle for fan-service, but that's commonplace for most female characters (especially ones from video games and anime).But for the most part she is considered to be the more modest character, between her and Cammy.
cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cosmo111687
@pixelized said:

I can't 100% agree with the OP. Pyslocke was one of the first people that popped into my mind when I read the topic. Once upon a time a special suit was created for Elizabeth's best friend, Alison Blaire, or Dazzler to some, that would absorb and store sound for her to use later. With that kind of tech roaming around, there's no reason why Psy should have to dawn a bikini and use flexibility as her reason for doing so.

All female characters don't need to be covered from the neck down. Someone like Monet St. Croix who is near totally invulnerable, can wear whatever she wants as being hit with a car does nothing to her, but someone like Psylocke, who has died before, should consider finding something new to wear.

That's absolutely true. It's not necessary for M, but you'd think that they'd be able to produce a highly durable and flexible material for Psylocke's uniform, so that she will be better equipped to take attacks (as well as have something to keep her warm during night missions or missions in colder climates.) Besides, I've always found it to be an odd contradiction that Psylocke's greatest desire is to be a great warrior, and yet she doesn't just put on some protective clothing to give her that extra edge.
destruct0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By destruct0

Personally...  I think they're all just comic characters, and it doesn't really matter.  Not everything has to make sense, if a character has a cool look; let 'em have it!  If a silly outfit is enough to bother someone that much, they don't need to read it!  Go read a different comic.  Renee Montoya has a pretty plausible outfit, go read The Question if skin tight outfits bother you that much.  To me, part of the whole Superhero theme is to keep with some kind of tried and true tradition; and in that tradition is silly costumes and preposterous body proportions.  There are so many threads ragging on what girls wear, but male characters have some ridiculous things going on too.  Muscles upon muscles upon muscles.  Superman's chest measurement has to be Obscene in some of the comics.  Hell, look at Magneto!  I wish I was in half as good of shape as that WW II Concentration Camp victim is!  Even Professor X has been shown as being pretty meaty, but you never see him curling weights in his wheelchair. (Unless that is, using his mind powers somehow also works out his muscles...) 

All in all, people should just lighten up...

theik2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By theik2

@destruct0 said:

Personally...  I think they're all just comic characters, and it doesn't really matter.  Not everything has to make sense, if a character has a cool look; let 'em have it!  If a silly outfit is enough to bother someone that much, they don't need to read it!  Go read a different comic.  Renee Montoya has a pretty plausible outfit, go read The Question if skin tight outfits bother you that much.  To me, part of the whole Superhero theme is to keep with some kind of tried and true tradition; and in that tradition is silly costumes and preposterous body proportions.  There are so many threads ragging on what girls wear, but male characters have some ridiculous things going on too.  Muscles upon muscles upon muscles.  Superman's chest measurement has to be Obscene in some of the comics.  Hell, look at Magneto!  I wish I was in half as good of shape as that WW II Concentration Camp victim is!  Even Professor X has been shown as being pretty meaty, but you never see him curling weights in his wheelchair. (Unless that is, using his mind powers somehow also works out his muscles...)  All in all, people should just lighten up...

I agree with @destruct0.  I think that both male and female characters tend to look exaggerated.   

Some of the costumes are fairly functional.  Batgirl and Supergirl come to mind.  There is also a lot of fan service. Black Cat, Vampirella, Red Sonja also come to mind.  

Don't take it too seriously, because it is fiction.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@JBBuc said:
Ok...I agree, there are some examples of outfits that are hard to defend as more than fan-service and Starfire's outfit is extraordinarily revealing. But let me just throw something out there. Humor me for a sec... From the Starfire page in this very site, under Powers and Abilities... 
"Starfire's body continually absorbs ultraviolet radiation, which she then converts into the energy that powers her starbolts and her ability to fly. "  Now, if her body absorbs UV rays as a source of energy, wouldn't it make sense to maximize her exposure to those rays? Sure, that could be a case of retroactive justification (just made that up), but I think it falls into the category of form (visual appeal) and function (serving a purpose). 

Following that logic wouldn't it be "practical" for Superman to fly around in a spedo so he could absorb more of the suns rays? Maybe that might be viewed as fan service for women. I'd like to see what guys would think of that if the roles were reversed...
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

of course they're fan service 

i think of comics like the WWE, it consists of extremely buff and overly macho men, and a bunch of scantily clad women who act as heroes to their fans 

destruct0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By destruct0

Just to add in my little rant there...  If anyone is mad about scantily clad impractical outfits, I would like to introduce you to the Martian Manhunter.  Take a moment to really look at him sometime, what the hell is that?  He looks like a big green Dom with a cape. 

No Caption Provided
JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JBBuc
@Kal'smahboi said: 
 The difference between the women that you've shown here and what we generally see in comics is breast support. Comic book women are far too busty for the clothing that they wear to even be comfortable, much less functional.
I'm sorry, I had to chuckle a bit here. Think about some of these characters. Starfire, for example, is an alien with impervious skin, 100x human stregth, and the ability to fly. oh yeah, and did I mention that she can fire molten plasma bursts from her eyes? And you are worried about her breast support? lol  

Look, I get it. In this day, it's not fashionable to be anything less than 110% PC. But I live in South Florida. And I'm sure anyone who goes to the beach or the gym in So. Fla or SoCal will agree with me that there are women with absurdly well constructed bodies working out, jogging, lifting, doing tae-bo, whatever in nothing more than sports bras and micro 'boy-shorts' and sometimes as little as a bikini. It's not something to ogle, it's just a part of the scenery. But I also wouldn't trade it for girls in sweatpants and turtle neck sweaters, or whatever they might be wearing in Boston or the mid-west.  

My point is, it's not unreasonable.
JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JBBuc
@primepower53 said:
@JBBuc said:
"Starfire's body continually absorbs ultraviolet radiation, which she then converts into the energy that powers her starbolts and her ability to fly. "  Now, if her body absorbs UV rays as a source of energy, wouldn't it make sense to maximize her exposure to those rays? Sure, that could be a case of retroactive justification (just made that up), but I think it falls into the category of form (visual appeal) and function (serving a purpose). 
Following that logic wouldn't it be "practical" for Superman to fly around in a spedo so he could absorb more of the suns rays? Maybe that might be viewed as fan service for women. I'd like to see what guys would think of that if the roles were reversed...
It be perfectly honest, I always thought Superman's outfit was a little absurd. There are a few male characters that would honestly be improved if they were more styled like MMA fighters. Anyway, one of the reasons that I was always more of a Marvel fan than a DC fan was the simple fact that there are far fewer capes in Marvel. What the hell good does a cape do? Superman should absolutely loose the cape and the outside undies.  

Go with a Tap-Out style boxing trunks and a muscle shirt with the crest in the middle. That would be much more appropriate, don't you think? 

Look, I'm not saying that every comic book character should be half naked. I like Spiderwoman and Catwoman just the way they are. Batgirl has to have that outfit because she doesn't actually have powers. Sue Storm would make no sense in a bulletproof bikini because she's not really a fighter. And let's face it, Rouge needs to cover as much skin as she possibly can.

But Wonderwoman? Starfire? She-Hulk? Ms Marvel? Elektra? Less is definitely more.
Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Malonius
@Morgaine_de_Bourbon said:
I agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly. Costumes can still be sexy and sparse while being functional. It's when you have characters like Slutfire whose costume is pure fanservice while having absolute no functionality that make me not agree with the entire statement itself.   If it makes sense, sure, let the skin show. But if it's being done purely for shock value or for fan service purposes, then screw it. 
LOL..."Slutfire".  Obviously it's fanservice, but it's explained in the comics that she really doesn't care about or understand human conventions about clothing and modesty...:-)
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Malonius said:
@Morgaine_de_Bourbon said:
I agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly. Costumes can still be sexy and sparse while being functional. It's when you have characters like Slutfire whose costume is pure fanservice while having absolute no functionality that make me not agree with the entire statement itself.   If it makes sense, sure, let the skin show. But if it's being done purely for shock value or for fan service purposes, then screw it. 
LOL..."Slutfire".  Obviously it's fanservice, but it's explained in the comics that she really doesn't care about or understand human conventions about clothing and modesty...:-)
She's been on Earth for how long now? She should have an understanding of simple social concepts. Her not caring would make more sense (and reinforce my nickname xD).
KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KenTheProfile
@JBBuc

more to the point, so what if it is fan service or functionality? let me say how much i hate the double standred here. if i said to someone "why the hell is superman so ripped and cut, it offends me."  that person would look and me and call me a idiot, rightfully so but if someone bring up starfire's outfit it becomes a serious issue.  men like tits, I am sorry if that offends anyone but it's true. i lived throught the skimppy outfits, jessica rabbit, and wwe divas, I am not some sexual pervert, I never treated a woman like an object. so in short what if it is just drawing to be drooled over?  

Ladies,I am all for equal pay, equal power, equal whatever but it changes nothing in terms of what i like to see on a superheroine.          
DrTTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DrTTD

With costumes, it's not an either-or thing. Sometimes lighter costumes are more practical, sometimes heavier ones are more practical, and it's always going to vary based on character. The thing is that the question of image goes far beyond whether a woman's outfit could conceivably be practical/realistic.

For example, you can consider bodies instead of just costumes. Female characters may wear clothes appropriate for athletes, but still, they're generally not drawn to the proportions of athletes. They're drawn to the proportions of models, with large hips and busts, long legs, and narrow waists. Both men and women are often drawn in idealized ways in comics, but men are drawn to idealistic standards of strength, whereas women are drawn to idealistic standards of beauty. And then there's the tendency of women, beyond their character designs, to be physically drawn in more sexual or glamorous poses, even when it's not an organic part of the story. I'm not saying women in comics should never be sexy, but when that becomes a definitive trait of women in comics as a whole, then that's a problem, not because it's politically incorrect, but because it's bad storytelling. 

I say you have to look at the big picture:

As the OP mentioned, comics are an art form. They're a highly visual medium, so much of the story is told visually. How a character looks reflects who that character is. Batman dresses in black, with a cloak and mask, to hide in the shadows and shroud himself in mystery and fear. Green Arrow dresses up like Robin Hood, because he sees himself as a defender of the weak. Male characters run the full spectrum in appearance; some are handsome, some are grim and gritty, some are deformed and hideous. Some of these characters can be drawn in sexy ways (I myself kind of have a thing for Dick Grayson), but many can never be made sexy no matter how hard you try (say, the Penguin, or Etrigan, or many, many others). Comics have female characters who range from assassins to scientists, from symbols of justice to destroyers of worlds. Naturally, some female characters can also be drawn in sexy ways, but when this is something that becomes typical, or even expected of most female characters, and you have very few female characters who are visually scary and intimidating, or gritty, or modest, or ugly, then that's not art. That's glamor/sex appeal coming at the expense of art and to the detriment of good storytelling.

I love pretty characters like Black Canary and Catwoman as much as the next reader. It's only a problem when you have far too many Catwomen and Black Canaries, and far too few Renee Montoyas and Granny Goodnesses.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Malonius
@DrTTD: Do you think the unequal, gratuitous and plot-irrelevant levels of fan-service represent a barrier to girls and women getting into comics...especially super-hero comics? My wife points it out every time she goes in the comic shop with me, even though I've introduced her to quite a few comics which she enjoyed. I think the fan-service inequality presents an image problem...the image that anyone reading a comic is a 12 year old boy who just wants to see pin-up girls and explosions...like the Michael Bay Transformer's audience. There's a lot of great stuff in a comic shop that other demographics will never go in to check out if they think it's all like that. 
Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DrTTD said:
With costumes, it's not an either-or thing. Sometimes lighter costumes are more practical, sometimes heavier ones are more practical, and it's always going to vary based on character. The thing is that the question of image goes far beyond whether a woman's outfit could conceivably be practical/realistic.  For example, you can consider bodies instead of just costumes. Female characters may wear clothes appropriate for athletes, but still, they're generally not drawn to the proportions of athletes. They're drawn to the proportions of models, with large hips and busts, long legs, and narrow waists. Both men and women are often drawn in idealized ways in comics, but men are drawn to idealistic standards of strength, whereas women are drawn to idealistic standards of beauty. And then there's the tendency of women, beyond their character designs, to be physically drawn in more sexual or glamorous poses, even when it's not an organic part of the story. I'm not saying women in comics should never be sexy, but when that becomes a definitive trait of women in comics as a whole, then that's a problem, not because it's politically incorrect, but because it's bad storytelling.  I say you have to look at the big picture:As the OP mentioned, comics are an art form. They're a highly visual medium, so much of the story is told visually. How a character looks reflects who that character is. Batman dresses in black, with a cloak and mask, to hide in the shadows and shroud himself in mystery and fear. Green Arrow dresses up like Robin Hood, because he sees himself as a defender of the weak. Male characters run the full spectrum in appearance; some are handsome, some are grim and gritty, some are deformed and hideous. Some of these characters can be drawn in sexy ways (I myself kind of have a thing for Dick Grayson), but many can never be made sexy no matter how hard you try (say, the Penguin, or Etrigan, or many, many others). Comics have female characters who range from assassins to scientists, from symbols of justice to destroyers of worlds. Naturally, some female characters can also be drawn in sexy ways, but when this is something that becomes typical, or even expected of most female characters, and you have very few female characters who are visually scary and intimidating, or gritty, or modest, or ugly, then that's not art. That's glamor/sex appeal coming at the expense of art and to the detriment of good storytelling. I love pretty characters like Black Canary and Catwoman as much as the next reader. It's only a problem when you have far too many Catwomen and Black Canaries, and far too few Renee Montoyas and Granny Goodnesses.
........you have just won the freaking internet. I just....this post perfectly sums it up. Well done.