Oromis Thrandurin Respect Thread

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By TheVivas

With respect threads for Eragon and Murtagh down, this next one is dedicated to Eragon's teacher, Oromis. One of my more favorite characters from the series, Oromis is a calm, collected elf who was around before the fall of the Riders and taught many a prominent Riders over his lifetime, the most important one being Eragon.

Without further adieu, respect Oromis Thrandurin, also known as The Mourning Sage, Osthato Chetowa, The Cripple Who Is Whole, and Togira Ikonoka, and one of three Dragon Riders who survived the Fall.

He doesn't have a picture so here's a description:

The Rider carefully descended from his steed along the dragon's intact front right leg, then approached Eragon, his hands clasped before him. He was an elf with silver hair, old beyond measure, though the only sign of age was the expression of great compassion and sadness upon his face.

Source: Eldest

Oromis's body:

Eragon surreptitiously watched the elf, curious as to what he looked like without his clothes. Oromis was very thin, yet his muscles were perfectly defined, etched under his skin with the hard lines of a woodcut. No hair grew upon his chest or legs, not even around his groin. His body seemed almost freakish to Eragon, compared to the men he was used to seeing in Carvahall----although it had a certain refined elegance to it, like that of a wildcat.

Oromis is at least 300 hundred years old, evident by the fact that he says he was born "some" centuries ago, but also had enough time to travel the world for a century before retiring to teach:

"Know this about me, then: I was born some centuries past in our city of Luthivira, which stood in the woods by Lake Tudosten. At the age of twenty, like all elf children, I was presented to the eggs that he dragons had given the Riders, and Glaedr hatched for me. We were trained as Riders, and for near a century, we traveled the world over, doing Vrael's will. Eventually, the day arrived when it was deemed appropriate for us to retire and pass on our experience to the next generation, so we took a position in Ilirea and taught new Riders, one or two at a time, until Galbatorix destroyed us."

Intelligence

Oromis was one of the Elders on a sort of Dragon Rider council before the fall of the Riders:

"I was one of the Elders who denied him another dragon after his first was killed . . . ."

Oromis learns a lot about Eragon just by the feel and touch of his hands:

"Let me see your hands. I find that they tell me much about a person." Eragon removed his gloves and allowed the elf to grip his wrists with thin, dry fingers. He examined Eragon's calluses, then said, "Correct me if I am wrong. You have wielded a scythe and plow more often than a sword, though you are accustomed to a bow."

"Aye."

"And you have done little writing or drawing, maybe none at all."

"Brom, taught me my letters in Teirm."

"Mmm. Beyond your choice of tools, it seems obvious that you tend to be reckless and disregard your own safety."

. . .

"Now. Anyone with such a collection of scars has either been hopelessly unfortunate, fights like a berserker, , or deliberately pursues danger. Do you fight like a berserker?"

"No."

"Nor do you seem unfortunate; quite the opposite. That leaves only one explanation. Unless you think differently?"

Oromis explains to Eragon that he will be teaching him how to apply their skills at the right time and what motivates them to fight so that they make smart decisions based on their own beliefs and way of thinking:

"Magic, swordsmanship, and other such skills are useless unless you know how and when to apply them. This I will teach you. However, as Galbatorix has demonstrated, power without moral direction is the most dangerous force in the world. My main task, then, is to help you, Eragon and Saphira, to understand what principles guide you, so that you do not make the right choices for the wrong reasons. You must learn more about yourself, who you are and what you are capable of doing. That is why you are here."

Oromis inquires of Eragon's knowledge in many different fields, all of which he is more or less very knowledgeable in:

For the next five hours, by Eragon's reckoning, Oromis delved into every aspect of his and Saphira's knowledge, from botany to woodworking to metallurgy and medicine, although he mainly concentrated on their grasp of history and the ancient language.

Oromis's house is befitting that of a man who lives an intellectual life:

The elf's quarters were barren except for those few essentials necessary for food, hygiene, and the pursuit of an intellectual life. Two entire walls were dotted with cubbyholes that held hundreds of scrolls.

Oromis is a very logical thinker, and teaches Eragon to be one as well by debating with him:

"How do you intent to teach me this logic?"

Oromis's smile broadened. "By the oldest and most effective method; debating. I will ask you a question, then you will answer and defend your position."

Oromis is very knowledgeable when it comes to the forest of Du Weldenvarden, and only two elves in the whole forest knows more than him:

"I know of no such weapon, Eragon, and I am well acquainted with the lore of this forest. In all of Du Weldenvarden, there are perhaps only two elves whose learning exceeds my own where the forest is concerned."

Source: Brisingr

Oromis tells Eragon that he could guess his true name:

"Then," said Eragon, "could you teach me my true name?"

"Your requests," said Oromis, "grow ever more difficult. Eragon-finiarel. I might be able to guess your true name if I so wished." The silver-haired elf studied Eragon with increased intensity, his eyes heavy upon him. "Yes, I believe I could. But I will not."

Due to his knowledge of the two Riders' teacher, as well as Galbatorix's twisted reasoning, Oromis figures out a way to escape the magical trap that bound him and Glaedr:

At a certain point, without knowing of Oromis's plans, I struck back at our attackers, seeking to hurt them. Oromis had been waiting for just such a moment. He had long known the Rider who had instructed Kialandi and Formora in the ways of magic, and he was well familiar with Galbatorix's twisted reasoning. From that knowledge, he was able to guess at how Kialandi and Formora had worded their spells, and where the flaws in their enchantments were likely to lie.

Source: Inheritance

Galbatorix claims that Oromis was probably the wisest Dragon Rider in the order:

"It saddens me that you have allowed your hate to distort your wisdom, for you were wise once, Oromis, perhaps the wisest member of our entire order."

Telepathy/Awareness

Oromis contacts Eragon all the way from Ellesmera in Du Weldenvarden when Eragon is in Farthen Dur, and manages to protect his mind from the last vestiges of Durza's mind plagueing Eragon:

Come to me.

He recoiled at the touch of another consciousness----one so vast and powerful it was like a mountain looming over him. This was who was blocking the pain, he realized. Like Arya's mind, music ran through this one: deep amber-gold chords that throbbed with magisterial melancholy.

Finally, he dared ask. Who . . . who are you?

One who would help. With a flicker of an unspoken thought, the Shade's influence was brushed aside like an unwanted cobweb. Freed from the oppressive weight, Eragon let his mind expand until he touched a barrier beyond which he could not pass. I have protected you as best I can, but you are so far away I can do no more than shield your sanity from the pain.

Again: Who are you to do this?

There was a low rumble. I am Osthato Chetowa, the Mourning Sage. And Togira Ikonoka, the Cripple Who Is Whole. Come to me, Eragon, for I have answers to all you ask. You will not be safe until you find.

But how can I find you if I don't know where you are? he asked, despairing.

Trust Arya and go with her to Ellesmera----I will be there. I have waited many seasons, so do not delay or it may soon be too late. . . . You are greater than you know, Eragon. Think of what you have done and rejoice, for you have rid the land of a great evil. You have wrought a deed no one else could. Many are in your debt.

A vision passed from him to Eragon: a burst of color blossomed in his mind, resolving into a stooped figure dressed in white, standing on a sun-drenched stone cliff. It is time for you to rest, Eragon. When you wake, do not speak of me to anyone, said the figure kindly, face obscured by a silver nimbus. Remember, you must go to the elves. Now, sleep . . . . He raised a hand, as if in benediction, and peace crept through Eragon.

Source: Eragon

For some context as to how far the distance between Ellesmera and Farthen Dur are, refer to the map below:

No Caption Provided

Oromis routinely searched all of Alagaesia with his mind for any Eldunari:

"Nor, have in all my years of scouring Alagaesia with my mind, have I detected so much as a whisper of a thought from an Eldunari."

When talking to Eragon, Eragon notes that Oromis's mind is very powerful:

He recoiled at the touch of another consciousness----one so vast and powerful it was like a mountain looming over him.

Oromis claims that he would have been able to take control of Murtagh's thoughts had their fight lasted but a few minutes longer:

"Their strength is fading; I can see it in their bearing. Another few minutes and Murtagh's concentration shall fail an I will be able to assume control over his thoughts."

Before the fall of the Riders, Oromis and Glaedr were attacked by two of Galbatorix's followers, Kialandi and Formora. The two Riders laid out a magical trap that slowed Oromis and Glaedr to the point where it felt like they were trying to move through thick honey and the other Riders appeared as dark blurs in their field of vision. Oromis and Glaedr both engaged them in a mental battle that took hours, even though Oromis and Glaedr had to fight off the enemy Rider, their own dragon, and the Eldunari of Agaravel. Despite this, they managed to defend themselves for hours:

Unbeknownst to us, Kialandi and Formora had visited the tower beforehand and slain the three elven rangers stationed there. Then they had placed a trap upon the stones that ringed the tower, a trap that caught us the moment my claws touched the grass upon the knoll. It was a clever spell; Galbatorix had taught it to them himself. We had no defense against it, for it caused us no harm, only held us and slowed us, like honey poured over our bodies and minds. While we were thus snared, minutes passed as seconds. Kialandi, Formora, and their dragons flitted around us faster than hummingbirds; they appeared as no more than dark blurs at the edges of our vision.

When they were ready, they released us. They had cast dozens of spells----spells to bind us in place, spells to blind us, and spells to prevent Oromis from speaking, so as to make it more difficult for him to cast spells. Again, their magic did not hurt us, and thus we had no defense against it. . . . The moment we could, we attacked Kialandi, Formora, and their dragons with our minds, and they us, and for hours thereafter, we strove against them. The experience was . . . not pleasant. They were weaker and less skilled than Oromis and I, but there were two of them for each of us, and they had with them the heart of hearts of a dragon named Agaravel----whose Rider they had slain----and her strength added to their own. As a result, we were hard-pressed to defend ourselves.

Oromis teaches Eragon to sit and extend his awareness so that he can be aware of any and everything around him. Oromis has already mastered this ability:

"You must become aware of all things equally and not blinker yourself in order to concentrate on a particular subject. This is an essential lesson, and until you master it, you will meditate on the stump for an hour each day."

"How will I know when I have mastered it?"

"When you can watch one and know all."

Magic

Description of magic in the Eragon universe:

"This magic----for it is magic----has rules like the rest of the world. If you break the rules, the penalty is death, without exception. Your deeds are limited by your strength, the words you know, and your imagination."

"Brisingr is from an ancient language that all living things used to speak. However, it was forgotten over time and went unspoken for eons in Alagaesia, until the elves brought it back over the sea. They taught it to the other races, who used it for making and doing powerful things. The language has a name for everything, if you can find it."

"But what does that have to do with magic?" interrupted Eragon.

"Everything! It is the basis for all power. The language describes the true nature of things, not the superficial aspects that everyone sees. For example, fire is called brisingr. Not only is that a name for fire, it is the name for fire. If you are strong enough, you can use brisingr to direct fire to do whatever you will. And that is what happened today."

Eragon thought about it for a moment. "Why was the fire blue? How come it did exactly what I wanted, if all I said was fire?"

"The color varies from person to person. It depends on who says the word. As to why the fire did what you wanted, that's a matter of practice. Most beginners have to spell out exactly what they want to happen. As they gain more experience, it isn't as necessary. A true master could just say water and create something totally unrelated, like a gemstone. You wouldn't be able to understand how he had done it, but the master would have seen the connection between water and the gem and would have used that as the focal point for his power. The practice is more of an art than anything else."

Brom took a deep breath and said, "To work with magic, you must have a certain innate power, which is very rare among people nowadays. You also have to be able to summon this power at will. Once it is called upon, you have to use it or let it fade away. Understood? Now, if you wish to employ this power, you must utter the word or phrase of the ancient language that describes your intent."

Although Oromis is a very wise Rider and knows a lot about magic and the ancient language, he is hampered by an injury the Forsworn dealt him in the past. It is bad enough where he cannot use large amounts of magic or risk getting seizures:

"The Forsworn broke something within me when I was their captive, and while I can still teach and learn, I can no longer control magic, except for the smallest of spells. The power escapes me, no matter how much I struggle. I would be worse than useless in battle, I would be a weakness and a liability, one who could easily be captured and used against you. So I removed myself from Galbatorix's influence for the good of the many, even though I yearned to openly oppose him."

Oromis knows the finer points to magic and teaches Eragon all that he knows, either directly or indirectly(Oromis also taught Brom, who was Eragon's first instructor):

"What is magic?"

"The manipulation of energy through the use of the ancient language."

There was a pause before Oromis responded. "Technically, you are correct, and many spellcasters never understand more than that. However, your description fails to capture the essence of magic. Magic is the art of thinking, not strength or language----you already know that a limited vocabulary is no obstacle to using magic. As with everything else you must master, magic relies on having a disciplined intellect.

"Brom bypassed the normal training regimen and ignored the subtleties of gramarye to ensure that you had the skills you needed to remain alive. I too must distort the regimen in order to focus on the skills that you will likely require in the coming battles. However, whereas Brom taught you the crude mechanics of magic, I will teach you its finer applications, the secrets that were reserved for the wisest of the Riders: how you can kill with no more energy than moving your finger, the method by which you can instantaneously transport an item from one point to another, a spell that will allow you to identify poisons in your food and drink, a variation on scrying that allows you to hear as well as to see, how you can draw energy from your surroundings and thus preserve your own strength, and how you can maximize your strength in every possible way."

Oromis has mastered every aspect of magic, because in order to know the true nature of magic and the ancient language(which he does), he would have had to master every aspect of magic:

"Only know this: that which you ask for was not taught to Riders----and is not taught to our magicians----until they had, and have, mastered every other aspect of magic, for this is the secret to the true nature of magic and the ancient language. Those who know it may acquire great power, yes, but at a terrible cost."

Oromis knows how to check if an item has enchantments on it or not:

Lifting the amulet, he murmured several lines in the ancient language, then released it. "It contains no other spells I can detect."

Oromis knows how to scry people, evident when he scryed Eragon and Arya:

"Someone tried to scry me by Silthrim about a week ago. Was that you?"

Oromis shook his head. "After I first scryed you with Arya, I had no need to use such crude methods to find you."

Over the span of decades, Oromis has devoted time to layer himself with small spells that would allow him to live longer and train the next Rider and dragon:

"I have spent decades binding myself with hundreds of small, weak spells that, layered upon another, duplicate the effect of enchantments that are now beyond my reach. I bound myself with them so that I might live long enough to witness the birth of the last dragons and to foster the Riders' resurrection from the ruin of our mistakes."

Oromis created a fairth of Ilirea before it was burned down and became Uru'baen:

Oromis's slanted features tightened for an instant. "You would do well to memorize that landscape, Eragon, for there lies the heart of your misery. You see what was once our city of Ilirea. It was burned and abandoned during Du Fyrn Skulblaka and became the capital of the Broddring Kingdom and now is the black city of Uru'baen. I made that fairth on the night that I and others were forced to flee our home before Galbatorix arrived."

"You painted this . . . fairth?"

"No, no such thing. A fairth is an image fixed by magic upon a square of polished slate that is prepared beforehand with layers of pigments. The landscape upon that door is exactly how Ilirea presented itself to me at the moment I uttered my spell."

Oromis teaches Eragon many different ways to control energy:

Much of Oromis's lectures concerned the proper way in which to control various forms of energy, such as light, heat, electricity, and even gravity. He explained that since these forces consumed strength faster than any other type of spell, it was safer to find them already in existence in nature and then shape them with gramarye, instead of trying to create them from nothing.

Oromis knows many different methods to killing a man with magic:

"What does it take to kill a man, Eragon? A sword through the chest? A broken neck? The loss of blood? All it takes is for a single artery in the brain to be pinched off, or for certain nerves to be severed. With the right spell, you could obliterate an army."

Oromis knows how to kill a man less effort than lifting a pen:

Over the next hour, Oromis taught Eragon twelve methods to kill, none of which took more energy than lifting an ink-laden pen.

Oromis knows words of making, binding, summoning, true names of plants and animals, and transmutation, as well as knowing spells pertaining to great energies, evident by him teaching them to Eragon:

Night and day, Eragon strove to master his lessons. He memorized the words of making, binding, and summoning; learned the true names of plants and animals; studied the perils of transmutation, how to call upon the wind and the sea, and the myriad skills needed to understand the forces of the world. At spells that dealt with the great energies----such as light, heat, and magnetism----he excelled, for he possessed the talent to judge nigh exactly how much strength a task required and whether it would exceed that of his body.

Oromis knows how to cook with magic:

Oromis set many challenges before him. He had Eragon cook meals with magic, in order to teach him finer control of his gramarye; Eragon's first attempts resulted in a blackened mess.

Oromis knows how to detect poisons in food or drink:

The elf showed Eragon how to detect and neutralize poisons of every sort and, from then on, Eragon had to inspect his food for the different venoms Oromis was liable to slip into it.

Oromis knows how to imbue matter with energy:

Oromis devoted long hours to the craft of imbuing matter with energy, either to be released at a later time or to give an object certain attributes.

Oromis produces a golden flame with just a flick of his wrist, no words at all:

With a flick of his wrist, a golden flame appeared over Oromis's palm, then disappeared.

Oromis clamps Eragon's calves so that he cannot walk:

"Will you ever learn respect, Eragon-vodhr? So be it!" Then he uttered four words from the ancient language in a voice so deep that their meaning escaped Eragon.

Eragon yelped as he felt each of his legs enveloped by pressure up to the knee, squeezing and constricting his calves in such a way that made it impossible for him to walk. His thighs and upper body were free to move, but other than that, it was as if he had been cast in lime mortar.

Oromis heals Glaedr's injuries while in battle(told from Glaedr's perspective):

Red. Black. Flashes of throbbing yellow. Pain . . . Bone-bending pain in his belly and in the shoulder of his left wing. Pain as he had not felt for over a hundred years. Then relief as partner-of-his-life-Oromis healed his injuries.

He even stops the bleeding when Glaedr had his leg cut off. This was done literally five minutes after he was attacked by the spell that cut off most of his ability to use magic and gave him a seizure just prior:

Oromis was able to stop the bleeding, but no more, and he was too weak to contact Vrael or the other elder Riders and warn them of Galbatorix's plans.

Oromis knows spells that are so powerful, they would kill a normal human if they attempted them. It's evident that he knows/knew these spells since he taught them to Eragon:

It was easier for Eragon to read and write, and his increased strength meant that he could now cast elven spells that required so much energy, they would kill any normal human.

Oromis enchanted a flask of faelnirv for Eragon. Faelnirv is an elven drink where any magician can enchant it to have pretty much any flavor/effect:

"In anticipation of your departure, I gathered together three gifts for you, Eragon." From the pouch, he withdrew a silver bottle. "First, some faelnirv I augmented with my own enchantments. This potion can sustain you when all else fails, and you may find its properties useful in other circumstances as well."

Oromis knows how to summon spirits, or is at least knowledgeable of the art:

A shadow passed over Oromis's face. "I shal keep my word, Eragon, but sorcery is a dark and unseemly art. You should not seek to control other beings for your own gain. Even if you ignore the immorality of sorcery, it is an exceptionally dangerous and fiendishly complicated discipline. A magician requires at least three years of intensive study before he can hope to summon spirits and not have them possess him.

Sorcery is not like other magics, Eragon; by it, you attempt to force incredibly powerful and hostile beings to obey your commands, beings who devote every moment of their captivity to finding a flaw in their bonds so that they can turn on you and subjugate you in revenge. Throughout history, never has there been a Shade who was also a Rider, and all of the horrors that have stalked this fair land, such an abomination could easily be the worst, worse even than Galbatorix."

Oromis knows how to transport small objects with magic:

While the two dragons danced among the clouds, Oromis taught Eragon how a magician could transport an object from one place to another without having the object traverse the intervening distance. "Most forms of magic," said Oromis, "require ever more energy to sustain as the distance between you and your target increases. However, that is not the case in this particular instance. It would require the same amount of energy to send the rock in my hand to other side of that stream as it would to send it all the way to the Southern Isles. For that reason, the spell is most useful when you need to transport an item with magic across a distance so vast, it would kill you to move it normally through space. Even so, it is a demanding spell, and you should only resort to it if all else has failed. To shift something as large as Saphira's egg, for example, would leave you too exhausted to move."

Then Oromis taught Eragon the wording of the spell and several variations on it.

Glaedr says that without Oromis's skill in magic, he would died much sooner from his ailment of not being able to use large amounts of magic:

Whatever the truth may be, the outcome was this: Oromis cast his spell, and he freed us, but the effect was too much for him, and a fit came over him, the first of many. Never again was he able to cast such a powerful spell, and ever after, he suffered a weakness of the flesh that would have killed him if not for his skill with magic.

Trapped by two enemy Riders in spells that blinded him, binded him, and prevented him from speaking, as well as engaging/defending himself from a mental assault from one of the enemy Riders, his dragon, and the amplification of said Riders powers by an Eldunari, Oromis used a spell himself and Glaedr and rearranged their flesh so that they both were not what they once were:

Oromis only had seconds to act; the moment he began to use magic, Kialandi and Formora realized what he was about, panicked, and began to cast their own spells. It took Oromis three tries to break our bonds. How exactly he did it, I cannot say. I doubt whether he really understood it himself. Most simply, he shifted us a finger's-breadth away from where we had been standing.

Like how Arya sent my egg from Du Weldenvarden to the Spine? asked Saphira.

Yes, and no, Glaedr replied. Yes, he transported us from one place to another without moving us through the intervening space. But he did not just shift our position, he also shifted the very substance of our flesh, rearranged it so that we were no longer what we once were. Many of the smallest parts of our bodies can be exchanged for one another without ill effect, and so he did with every muscle, bone, and organ.

Eragon frowned. Such a spell was a feat of the highest order, a wonder of magical dexterity that few in history could have hoped to carry out. Still, as impressed as Eragon was, he could not help but ask, "How could that have worked, though? You would still be the same person as before."

You would, and yet you would not. The difference between who we had been and who we then were was slight, but it was enough to render useless the enchantments Kialandi and Formora had woven about us.

Swordsmanship

Oromis completely outmatches Eragon when they spar:

The instant their swords met, Eragon knew that he was as outmatched by Oromis as by Durza and Arya. Eragon was an exemplary human swordsman, but he could not compete with warriors whose blood ran thick with magic. His arm was too weak and his reflexes too slow. Still, that did not stop him from trying to win. He fought to the limits of his abilities, even if, in the end, it was a futile prospect.

Oromis tested him in every conceivable manner, forcing Eragon to utilize his entire arsenal of blows, counterblows, and underhand tricks. It was all for naught. He could not touch the elf. As a last resort, he tried altering his style of fighting, which could unsettle even the most hardened veteran. All it got him was a welt on his thigh.

Eragon compares Oromis to a cat pouncing, a heron striking, and a weasel weaving out of harms way:

The elf was glorious in action, a perfect blend of control and untamed violence. He pounced like a cat, struck like a heron, and bobbed and wove with the grace of a weasel.

Oromis says that in his current state, him and Glaedr could easily kill a hundred or even a thousand men:

"Our disabilities would not be a problem if our only enemies were mortal men. Even in our current state, we could easily slay a hundred ordinary humans----a hundred or a thousand, it would matter little which."

Oromis engages Murtagh in a short clash atop both of their dragons:

As they plummeted downward, Glaedr heard the sound of swords striking shields as Oromis and Murtagh exchanged a flurry of blows.

Physicals/Gear

Oromis teaches Eragon a series of exercises that are designed to prepare warriors for combat, with each one being harder than the last. Oromis performs them with Eragon:

"What I am about to show you is called the Rimgar, or the Dance of Snake and Crane. It is a series of poses that we developed to prepare our warriors for combat, although all elves use it now to maintain their health and fitness. The Rimgar consists of four levels, each more difficult than the last. We will start with the first."

. . .

Oromis performed the Rimgar with him, displaying a level of strength and flexibility that astounded Eragon, especially for one so old. The elf could touch his forehead to his toes. Throughout the exercise, Oromis remained impeccably composed, as if he were doing no more than strolling down a garden path.

Oromis wears golden armor into battle and uses a diamond-shaped shield:

Eragon was startled to see that Glaedr was wearing a saddle nestled between two of the towering spikes on his back and that Oromis was garbed in heavy traveling robes of blue and green, over which he wore a corselet of golden scale armor, as well as bracers upon his arms. A tall diamond-shaped shield was slung across his back, an archaic helm rested in the crook of his left arm, and around his waist was belted his bronze-colored sword, Naegling.

Oromis's Rider sword, Naegling, has enough energy stored in it to move a mountain:

And he reached across his body and placed the palm of his right hand on the yellow diamond that formed the pommel of Naegling. "For over a hundred years, Glaedr and I have stored every iota of our excess strength in this diamond, and others have added their strength to the pool as well; twice a week, several elves from Ellesmera visit me here and transfer as much of their life force into the gem as they can without killing themselves. The amount of energy contained within this stone is formidable, Eragon; with it, I could shift an entire mountain. It is a small matter, then, to defend Glaedr and myself from swords and spears and arrows, or even from a boulder cast by a seige engine. As for my seizures, I have attached certain wards to the stone in Naegling that will protect me from harm if I become incapacitated upon the battlefield."

Oromis Quotes

"Many sorrows exist in this world, and one of the greatest is being unable to help those in pain."

"However, as Galbatorix has demonstrated, power without moral direction is the most dangerous force in the world."

"Those whom we love are often the most alien to us."

"Too many problems in this world are caused by men with noble dispositions and clouded minds.

History provides us with numerous examples of people who were convinced that they were doing the right thing and committed terrible crimes because of it. Keep in mind, Eragon, that no one thinks of himself as a villain, and few make decisions they think are wrong. A person may dislike his choice, but he will stand by it because, even in the worst of circumstances, he believes that it was the best option available to him at the moment."

"Never grow overconfident, Eragon. Never grow arrogant, for then you will be careless and your enemies will exploit your weakness."

"Don't abandon hope," said Oromis. "Never that." A measure of strength seemed to flow from him to Eragon. "We are the Riders. We stand between the light and the dark, and keep the balance between the two. Ignorance, fear, hate: these are our enemies. Deny them with all your might, Eragon, or we will surely fail." He stood and extended a hand toward Eragon. "Now rise, Shadeslayer, and prove you can counter the instincts of your flesh!"

"Love can be a terrible curse, Eragon. It can make you overlook even the largest flaws in a person's behavior."

"A secret shared is no secret at all."

Thanks for reading. Click here to view my other Respect Threads.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Very good job there friend.

I can see you have put in tremendous amount of work in this.

We all appreciate you for that =)

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

nice work

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers