Opinions of the New 52 Superman series?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I know it's not meant to be as good as Unchained or Action Comics but it actually that bad? Is it like Green Arrow, where it suddenly changes for the better after a certain issue or writer change?

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Once Lobdell took over writing duties, it got better... its still not great, mind you, it definitely has its flaws... but it could be a lot worse. I've at least had fun reading Lobdell's run. It isn't the best Superman run of all time, not even in the top ten, but its enjoyable enough.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MakkyD

@imagineman16: Didn't Lobdell supposedly ruin Teen Titans? Dunno myself, never followed the series.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I don't think its as bad as everyone says definitely read both and see what you think

In before the Scott Lobdell ruined everything people show up

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I really, really dislike his work on Teen Titans. I wouldn't go so far as to call it an outright ruination, but I can't wait for another writer to step on and hopefully clean up the mess. Lobdell is a really hit-or-miss writer. I loved (most of) his work on RHATO, I hate his run on Teen Titans, and I like his work on Superman, though it could be better. When he's on par, he's a fine writer... when he's not, well... its bad.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deaditegonzo

Superman's self-titled, since Lobdell took over, is my favorite Superman book and my favourite New 52 book. Its sort of Silver Age-y with a lot of insane feats, but Superman's attitude has modern edge. Lobdell really latched onto the idea that Superman would never be a government lapdog, and also the fact that he is still a young man, and doesnt necessarily have the patience of a saint. The love triangle in it, as Lobdell has payed seemingly the most attention to the Supes/WW pairing (which I support 100% btw), is somewhat bland and simplistic, and unfortunately not entirely dignified towards Diana at all times (this needs fixed ASAP!!) This book is basically the Man of Steel-esque book, with the biggest action so far. Also, Rocafort is the best artist in the business, without question.

Teen Titans is hit or miss. They lack a great villain, and there isnt the best chemistry between the leads (because they are all snarky and anti-social). It could be better, and we saw moments of greatness, for example with the Harvest arc, but to be frank, id say Superboy's solo is better. I am not afraid to admit that some teen drama is one of the reasons I picked up the book/wanted to read it, but the only character who seems realistic to me is Bunker. Robin is an "asexual", who is something of a sociopath. We all know Superboy is a few [year] old test tube baby. Wonder Girl is a b****. Cant they be more like PEOPLE? Red Hood and the Outlaws, which I also read from time to time, has a lot of tonal similarities to this.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

Once Lobdell took over writing duties, it got better... its still not great, mind you, it definitely has its flaws... but it could be a lot worse. I've at least had fun reading Lobdell's run. It isn't the best Superman run of all time, not even in the top ten, but its enjoyable enough.

Yep.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BUMP

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Bruxae

It starts off slow but currently I like it alot.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

The characters sound completely out of their skin, the plot is all over the place and I find myself staring dumbfoundedly at what Lobdell has put on the page.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its actually pretty terrible..... But the arts great but for some reason kenneth rocafort usually only works with lobdell which sucks cuz lobdell is a terrible writer i wish hed go on to draw any other DC book that doesnt have lobdell maybe nightwing or aquaman

TheReptile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheReptile

I have the first 10 issues but then gave up on it, its really bad! The only highlights are the awesome feats but thats it....dry story from what I have read.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't even being to summarize what's been happening in this series even though I've read every issue... because thats how little it registers with my brain. Something about Hector Hammond and something. STAR Labs and something. I dunno... I don't hate it, its not awful, but its not something I'm on the edge of my seat about. It doesn't seem to leave an impression.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not very good. For some reason Lobdell thinks people want to read about a Superman who has corny Silver age feats and fights crappy D-list villians. I don't have a problem with embracing Silver age elements, but the new 52 was meant to be new and modern. The thing that hurt Morrisons run is that he stopped doing what made his first arc so exciting and fresh, and instead begun using weird silver age elements and stupid villians. We want a modern Superman. That's why Superman Unchained is the best Superman book right now. And hopefully Greg Pak can redeem Action Comics as well.