Operation: get more! my Free Comic Book Day experience.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By htb106

Free comic book day is finally here! and what a brilliant day it was!

okay, hopefully you've all heard of Free comic book day, if not rush out of the house now to you're nearest comic shop. I don't care what you have to do to get there tap into the speed force, say SHAZAM!, it doesn't matter just get there. well... that was a bit random...

okay, onto the main article.

So I got into town and me and my friend rushed to the comic shop at quarter to 11 in the morning expecting the New 52 comics to be almost all gone, they weren't, we got lucky this time. I mentioned I went to the shop with my friend and I highly reccomend doing this, with all of the great titles on offer this year and only one per person it's a good idea to go in a group to get several books which you can pass around the group so you get to read as many FCBD books as possible. Now I need to put it out there right now, I'm a massive DC fan so of course I picked up the DC New 52 book and I also picked up the DC nation sampler/ Superman family adventures book (they're rolled into one so you get three stories: Green lantern the animated series, Young Justice and of course Superman family adventures.) I reccomend both of these books as the new 52 had a great interesting story with great art and the DC nation/ SFA book is suitable for all ages so make sure if you get it you read it with any younger members of you're family.

After this we went for lunch then headed to the other comic shop in our town so I could pick up the Teen Titans Annual.

Ofcourse after this we headed back to the first comic shop to see if there was a different person on the desk but there wasn't which was a same as we were planning to pick up Grant Morrisin's Dinosaurs VS Aliens.

So, what have you bought? or what are you planning to buy? and why?

Don't forget to pick up one of the brilliant titles on offer this year, you'll regret it if you don't make it!

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Funrush

I got the free editions of Sonic, Star Wars, New 52, Avengers, Spider-Man Season 1, Super-Man Family Adventures, Bongo Free-For-All, and Mega Man. I got Batman numbers 635, 636, 641, 646, and 647 for a dollar each, and I got Amazing Spider-Man 685. As soon as my brother and I walked into the comic store he went straight to the line while I looked for stuff to buy. He bagged the last Peanuts/Adventure Time they had, and I asked him if I could read it when he was done with it, and he said no, but I was fine with that since I'll probably get the Adventure Time trade when it comes around anyway. I had a great time! Thank you comic book publishers!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#3  Edited By Joygirl

Apparently my comic shop sucks. I got Avengers, The Guild, and some New 52 book that has no title but shows Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman on the cover. And so I didn't feel like a mooch, I bought Batwoman #1. The FCBD selection was very small.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By TheOptimist

I actually passed on most of the Free comics because there was a really high demand... lots of people showing up... I only picked up the New 52 and DC Kids issues... the shop knows I want the rest, so if there are any extras they'll make their way into my box for next week... last year many of these became digitally available rather quickly, so I'm hoping that'll be replicated this year.

I also bought: Aquaman #8, Dial H #1, Earth-2 #1, Batwing #8 and Detective Comics #8, all for other people... I almost picked up Animal Man Vol. 1 for myself, but they were almost out... again, I'll hold off and if they run out, I'll amazon order.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Funrush

@TheOptimist said:

I actually passed on most of the Free comics because there was a really high demand... lots of people showing up... I only picked up the New 52 and DC Kids issues... the shop knows I want the rest, so if there are any extras they'll make their way into my box for next week... last year many of these became digitally available rather quickly, so I'm hoping that'll be replicated this year.

I also bought: Aquaman #8, Dial H #1, Earth-2 #1, Batwing #8 and Detective Comics #8, all for other people... I almost picked up Animal Man Vol. 1 for myself, but they were almost out... again, I'll hold off and if they run out, I'll amazon order.

Yeah, I'm hoping that I can pick up the issues I missed when they go digital. I was going to get Animal Man Vol 1., but they didn't have any.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IrishX

Nice FCBD today. Stopped at two of the local stores around. 

First up was Aquilonia Comics. Got a few trades for 35% off and my kids grabbed some of the free comics. They had cupcakes, brownies, and buttons there. Also got an issue of AMS 666 with the store on the cover and a sketch poster of the Avengers exclusive to the store for the first 100 customers. 

Next we hit up Earth World Comics. They had two attractive ladies dressed up as Black Widow and Ms. Marvel. Got a few more free comics and another trade.   

Also I forgot I bought about $20 worth of dollar comics and bundled comic packs (mostly Capt. America stuff) and donated it to the troops at a booth outside Earth World. 

Later we'll be topping off the day by going to see The Avengers at the Drive-In. Hope everyone had a great Free Comic Book Day!

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Sammo21

I went ahead and got all of them since I was there at opening. I actually discovered that I haven't gotten Captain America & Bucky (soon to be Captain America & Hawkeye) so I was able to get the last 4-5 issues I missed and get that added to my pull. Also grabbed Chew volume 3 and 4 and my pull list for the week.

As a side note, I get really aggravated when I see walk into my local comic shop for Free Comic Book Day, grab all the free comics they can, and then walk out. They don't look around and they don't even think twice to purchasing something. Really annoys me. Makes me want to smack the free comics they have out of their hands, lol.

@TheOptimist: How was Dial H? I was curious about it but didn't pick it up.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By TheOptimist

@Sammo21 said:

@TheOptimist: How was Dial H? I was curious about it but didn't pick it up.

I rather enjoyed Dial H. I dare say I loved it. Now, it was quirky. Very quirky. But that also made it something different from the norm, which in itself is something that can often be celebrated. I wouldn't say that it is a book for everyone... but if you enjoy slightly atypical stories, then it is worth checking out. It uses slightly unconventional storytelling methods that might throw off some people, but they're really not all that disorienting.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Funrush

@Sammo21 said:

They don't look around and they don't even think twice to purchasing something. Really annoys me. Makes me want to smack the free comics they have out of their hands, lol.

My thoughts exactly. The whole reason FCBD exists is to expand the industry and get more people involved. Actually, when my brother and I left the store and I asked him if I could read his Adventure Time when he was done and he said no, I asked why he didn't buy anything, because there were literally shelves filled with pre New 52 Batman issues for $.99 each, let alone all of the other awesome stuff they had. He told me he wasn't going to spend any of his own money on comic books and that he was just there to get free stuff. That just pissed me off for a bit.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#10  Edited By knighthood

@Sammo21: I agree with TheOptimist's statement concerning Dial H. If you want something a little out of the ordinary, I'd recommend it. This series really has potential.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#11  Edited By knighthood

Oh, and my FCBD pick ups are Mouse Guard, New 52, Avengers Ultron, Zombie Boy, & Atomic Robo. I purchased Captain Atom #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, and Daredevil #10 at 20% off. I'll scoop up more tonight when the sale prices drop to 60% off for back issues.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By noj

The comic book shop that I went to for FCBD just opened up so to attract more people, they set the limit at 5 which is the most Ive seen from a single store. So I picked up The New 52 issue, Age of Ultron, the Valiant sampler, the Star Wars/Serenity book, and Dinosaurs vs Aliens. I also brought my sister along since I want to try and get her into comics and she picked up the Witchblade book, Adventure Time, The New 52 issue and a few more I cant remeber. I also ended up buying her the TPB of the Superman/Batman storyline with the introduction of Supergirl.

Then I went to another shop since they had just expanded and I wanted to check it out but at that place the limit was only 1 free comic! You could get more but any aditionaly ones were 99 cents each and the money would apparently be donated to some charity. I got the Suoerman Family adventures book there, and I bought my sister a copy of the Teen Titans tpb that contained the first 7 issues of Geoff Johns run.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By htb106

you guys can pick up more than one?

as I said in the post we were only aloud one each so two of us went to get more!

also FCBD seems to be rather boring in britain compared to in other countries. we get a few comics on a table, oh yeah and a free prometheus poster.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funrush

@htb106 said:

you guys can pick up more than one?

as I said in the post we were only aloud one each so two of us went to get more!

also FCBD seems to be rather boring in britain compared to in other countries. we get a few comics on a table, oh yeah and a free prometheus poster.

Each comic store has different limits depending on how many issues were ordered and how many people show up on FCBD on average. My store's limit was eight. My library actually participated, and their limit was just one.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By htb106

There weren't any special events on the day at the shop I go to.

We just went in got a book and that was it really.

theoknows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By theoknows

Grabbed the new 52, Bongo's FCBD issue, and the censored Howard Cruse. Bought most back issues of new 52 Swamp Thing (need 1 and 6, i think) and Worlds Finest #1.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Funrush

@htb106 said:

There weren't any special events on the day at the shop I go to.

We just went in got a book and that was it really.

Same, all the sales they had at my store were sales they were already doing, not really regarding FCBD. The only other thing they did besides giving out the books was they gave you either lollypops or uncolored Lantern rings when you left.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By htb106

I wish DC had brought out one more mainstream comic like Marvel did.

possibly focusing on the Teen Titans.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By minigunman123

Free:

Sonic the Hedgehog: Two Steps Back, special edition

Ultimate Spiderman (premier issue #1),

The Avengers: Age of Ultron issue 0.1,

The Avengers Heroic Age issue 1,

New 52 gold title, featuring the Justice League and Pandora (I don't think it has a proper title. Can't find it on the comic or online.)

The Avengers: Ultron Quest, custom edition, issue 1 (It was handed out at theaters Thursday for the premier of The Avengers, my Sister gave me hers!)

Payed for:

The New Teen Titans: The Terror of Trigon, paperback graphic novel, 10% discount

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man, issues 1, 2 and 3! All full price, for a total of $36.50.

The Avengers vs X-Men, issue 1

What I wish I could get were the two Omnibus collections for The New Teen Titans, and ONE of the Batman graphic novels, but they only had Robin: Year One and I thought it'd be incomplete without at least some Batman to back it up XD I felt more like reading about the titans getting destroyed by Trigon.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By htb106

bump...