Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@foxxfireart:

Liking or disliking art is only subjective.

Anything that appeals to this sort of thing is subjective.

Having said that. Seeing how ONE PIECE alone outsells all the combined books of Marvel and DC several times over.

Yeah that's good for them.

That says less about ONE PIECEand more about your tastes.

Lil Wayne sails more then Nas and no one is their right mind is going to dare say he is the superior artist. Truth be told, I don't care who likes One Piece, I don't and really, that's all that matters to me.

Edit: Not trying to come off harsh or anything but that's just me.

My taste maybe different from the ordinary, I don't really care for Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z or Fairy Tail. I prefer things like Reborn!, Claymore, Fullmetal Alchemist ;etc.

And that's just their sales in Japan. ONE PIECE is sold and translated internationally. If you were to combine their numbers with their sales outside of Japan, it would probably double or triple the numbers.

Again great for them, fantastic.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@dccomicsrule2011: I'm just going to jump in and say that the music scene is quite a bit different from the comics scene. That is mostly because Lil Wayne generally sells to a different demographic (gangster wannabes) than other artists like let's say Queen. For manga sales, One Piece and majority of the other manga sold appeal to the same demographic. That is to say a manga reader who buys Naruto or JJBA is just as likely to buy One Piece and other manga on top of that, so in that light, the sales are very very impressive.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This is both an ironic middle finger to the Big Two yet a big annoyance for me as a comic book fan. Even though there are a different set of circumstances in Japan that allow manga to sell more fruitfully, to see that industry outperform the comic book one by just one of their series is quite annoying.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One piece is a great book, one of the few mangas I can get into. I think that the strenght of the series comes from a well written mix of comedy and drama, also the characters are well fleshed out.

Mangas have one big advantage over comic books: they are one person's vision (mainly) and they are thought to end. Say what you want, but the human brain wants closure, wants resolution, and the way superhero comic books are made, they make you lose focus because you know there is no real resolution. After a while, if a character goes too far beyond his origin point or concept, they have to dial it back.

Still, superhero books have a lot of advantages on mangas, don't get me wrong. I just think that for people like me, that like a story with a beginning, a development and an end, sometimes eternal franchises like the ones in the big 2 can be a turnoff.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By SaintWildcard

@saint_rog_el said:

@foxxfireart said:

In late 2012, ONE PIECE FILM: Z was released. This movie broke STRONG WORLD's previous record.

Whatever happens in Japan means nothing after I heard they have Air Sex contests.

ok, what? No, seriously.. what?

So call me when they have a worldwide release and make over 300 million (average marvel movie box office)

I don't think it's really useful to compare the movies. Because:

1. Manga aren't really made for creating movies out of them, each has it's own individual world, extremely diverse settings, power systems, transformations.. it's impossible to capture all that in one go. Luffy's stretching hand looks cool in anime, but it will look exceptionally weird and pathetic in movies.

2.The big 2 have had decades of practice with movies. Shonen jump has.. Dragonball evolution. They will need time to reach that level.

3. The comparison is directly about quality of the source material, the number of issues sold. There is literally no reason to bring in something that isn't source.

What's hard to understand, they have contests that sell out stadiums where they pretend to have sex on stage (like air guitar), just one dude going at it, and IM not sure if this part is true but I think no ugly people can participate. They also sell girls panties in vending machines. Japan is a weird place.

Also point 1 & 2 sort of contradict themselves.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: I'm just going to jump in and say that the music scene is quite a bit different from the comics scene. That is mostly because Lil Wayne generally sells to a different demographic (gangster wannabes) than other artists like let's say Queen. For manga sales, One Piece and majority of the other manga sold appeal to the same demographic. That is to say a manga reader who buys Naruto or JJBA is just as likely to buy One Piece and other manga on top of that, so in that light, the sales are very very impressive.

Maybe.

I'm just saying selling more does not automatically = being better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

In my experience, the opposite is true in most cases.

An example is how Green Arrow and TMNT, my two favorite comics and two of the highest-reviewed books on the market today, didn't even make the top 100 in sales last month.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

In my experience, the opposite is true in most cases.

An example is how Green Arrow and TMNT, my two favorite comics and two of the highest-reviewed books on the market today, didn't even make the top 100 in sales last month.

Which is why anyway who uses the more sales= being better automatically kills their case imo. The Phantom Menace made the most money out of any Star Wars film and it was by far the worst out of them all.

Avatar image for xxedward_kenwayxx
XxEdward_KenwayXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow and here i thought naruto was the more popular manga. Naruto and bleach > One piece

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

wow and here i thought naruto was the more popular manga. Naruto and bleach > One piece

It's more popular here.