#1 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

RULES

1) You're on a desert island with no means of escape for the next 5 years.

2) Once a month, a turtle swims to your island with a parcel which contains some food, fresh water, and three single-issue comic books of your choice. The books must be current.

3) Assume that for the entire duration of your stay that the creative teams on your comic books will remain consistent.

WHICH 3 COMICS WOULD YOU CHOOSE AND WHY?

Here are my choices:

Hawkeye, X-O Manowar, and Batman - All quality books and for the most part pretty self-contained reading experiences.

Through post #38 here is the current tally of votes:

1. Batman - 17

2. Justice League - 7

3. Hawkeye - 6

4. Superior Spider-Man - 5

5. All-New X-Men - 4

6T. Batman and Robin, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Indestructible Hulk, Saga, Daredevil, Thor: God of Thunder, New Avengers, Avengers - 3

15T. X-O Manowar, Superman, Justice League of America, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, The Walking Dead, Nightwing, Green Lantern - 2

23T. Supergirl, Superboy, Bedlam, Deadpool, Uncanny Avengers, Smallville, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Great Pacific, Animal Man, Invincible, The Flash, Earth 2, Detective Comics, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harbinger - 1

Votes that were disqualified:

Superman Unchained - 2 (not a current title)

Deadpool, Aquaman, Justice League, New Avengers - 1 (mentioned two books in one number slot)

Number of turtle mentions: 5

Clarification: This isn't supposed to be a competition about which book gets the most votes. It's supposed to be about which three books YOU care about the most. I just thought it would be interesting to see which books were being mentioned the most, so I counted.

#2 Posted by Saranth (73 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, that's a tough one. I'm picking up at least eight books weekly right now! If I had to pick, it'd be:

1. Batman and Robin. This is, without a doubt, my favourite title. Gleason's art is majestic, and it's probably been the best writing work of Tomasi's comics career. I cannot get enough. Granted, Damian's gone now, but if the last issue is anything to go by, this title is far from running out of steam.

2. Superior Spider-Man. A Ben Reilly-esque Spider-Man costume being teased? Dan Slott talking about a Miguel O'Hara appearance in the immediate future? Another shake-up in the status quo on the horizon? Sorry, but I need to know what's going to happen. I'd probably go mad on the island if I didn't find out.

3. Green Arrow. Oliver survived being stranded on a deserted island, right? If Lemire's doing his research, then I might well be able to pick up a few survival tips. Who knows?!

#3 Posted by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Aquaman

2. Batman

3. Superior Spider-Man

This was much harder than I expected.

#4 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, Supergirl and Superboy. I think it's a good combo

#5 Posted by Charetter115 (475 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League
" " of America

Batman

#6 Edited by captainsaul (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye, Superior Spider-man and batman.

#7 Posted by Lvenger (20039 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Action Comics though it would be Superman Unchained if it were out. I'm a huge Superman fan and going without Superman in my pull list would not be a pull list worth reading for me. I'd always want to know what's happening with my favourite hero.
  2. Wonder Woman - Azzarello and Chiang are an excellent creative team and the direction they've taken Wonder Woman in is an enthralling one. I'd want to see how this pans out
  3. Indestructible Hulk - Waid is doing a fantastic job with the Hulk's status quo and I really like how balanced the book is. Banner's character development is top notch and the humour, action and pure fun the book is to read makes it a top choice for me.
#8 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League

Batman

Indestructible Hulk

#9 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently it's like this:

• Wonder Woman
  • Green Arrow
  • Bedlam
#10 Posted by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Saga- just finished the Vol. 1 TPB. Probably my second favorite book that I've read so far.
  • Batman- my favorite character, and creative team. Really dig Snyder's writing and Capullo's art put together to tell the story.
  • Deadpool- I was going to pick Hawkeye here, but this book is just so consistently funny I couldn't live without it.
#11 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Posted by danhimself (22562 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Saga

2. The Walking Dead

3. Smallville

#13 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2315 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Batman

2. Nightwing

3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

#14 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman.

#15 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8014 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. That is one weird turtle...

Only three? This is harder than I thought....

Well, I'd have to say,

1. Thor: god of thunder. I've really been enjoying it.

2. Batman. The writing is great and the art is awesome.

3. I can't decide between Deadpool or Aquaman. I'd be happy with either as my third choice.

#16 Posted by Bruxae (13916 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Superman & Justice League.

#17 Edited by Dabee (2393 posts) - - Show Bio
Great Pacific

1. Great Pacific by Joe Harris+Martin Morazzo - Being trapped on a desert island seems to have a lot in common with this book. While Chas Worthington goes to the island on his own (on purpose), I still think it would be cool to relate to something like that.

New Avengers
Green Lantern

2. New Avengers by Johnathan Hickman+Steve Epting - I really like the direction it's going, so this would be my Marvel pick. It features a diverse array of characters that I like, and villains that I like. It would also keep me occupied with all of its philosophical questions it raises.

3. Green Lantern by Geoff Johns+Doug Mahnke - While Geoff Johns is leaving Green Lantern soon, you did say that creative teams would remain consistent. Now, that means I would still get new Green Lantern books from Johns if I left by the end of the month for my desertion. I have really high hopes for Venditti, and I'm sure he'll do great, but five more years of Geoff Johns would keep my happy on the island. I would be looking forward to Venditti's run upon my return.

So, that's one Marvel, one D.C., and one Skybound.

#18 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Thor - God Of Thunder
  • Batman
  • Nightwing
#19 Posted by sagejonathan (1956 posts) - - Show Bio

#20 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Really tough, but it'd have to be:

• Batman by Scott Snyder.
  • One of the Superman books, right now Superman Unchained.
  • Justice League.

If Snyder left Batman, I'd have to say Flash by Francis Manapul though.

#21 Posted by SmashBrawler (5747 posts) - - Show Bio

Animal Man, Invincible and Green Arrow.

#22 Posted by ssbm (92 posts) - - Show Bio

batman

flash

all new x-men

#23 Posted by majidjaved (16 posts) - - Show Bio

batman

earth 2

justice league

#24 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics

Detective Comics

Batman and Robin

#25 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (527 posts) - - Show Bio

All-New X-Men

Avengers (even though I like New Avengers better, this seems like it has more staying power arc to arc given the larger cast)

Guardians of the Galaxy

#26 Posted by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Action Comics

Detective Comics

Batman and Robin

I read the Detective Comics DotF tie ins and really enjoyed them. I was wondering if the rest of the series was as good. What's your opinion?

#27 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@kilomac29: All the issues written by John Layman are really good. In my opinion its the best out of all the bat books

#28 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman (Snyder, Capullo) , Hawkeye (Fraction, Aja) , Superior Spider-Man (Slott, Stegman)

#29 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Indestructible Hulk
  • Avengers
  • Justice League
#30 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@saranth said:

Batman and Robin. This is, without a doubt, my favourite title. Gleason's art is majestic, and it's probably been the best writing work of Tomasi's comics career. I cannot get enough. Granted, Damian's gone now, but if the last issue is anything to go by, this title is far from running out of steam.

I had a really hard time choosing between Batman and B&R. As a Batman fan, I feel spoiled right now. Lots of entertaining stuff going on right now.

@lvenger said:

Indestructible Hulk - Waid is doing a fantastic job with the Hulk's status quo and I really like how balanced the book is. Banner's character development is top notch and the humour, action and pure fun the book is to read makes it a top choice for me.

This is also on my pull-list. I hope Waid stays on for a good long time. The guys is just rock-solid in depicting his characterisations.

@eternal19 said:

@kilomac29: All the issues written by John Layman are really good. In my opinion its the best out of all the bat books

That's interesting. I dropped Detective after giving Layman a 3-issue trial run. Seems unfair seeing how I suffered through all of Tony Daniels' god-awful run, but at the time Layman took over it was either continuing Detective or choosing one of Valiant's offerings.

It may have only been his early issues, but Layman felt kind of wordy to me. I also didn't appreciate all the references to Birds of Prey, like it was something I was supposed to be reading. Fabok is the real deal though. I think he's going to become a major name in comics within the next few years.

#31 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Justice League
  2. Avengers
  3. ...New Avengers...

I had difficulty deciding my third comic book series. I'm still not sure.

#32 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Batman

2. Saga

3. Hawkeye

#33 Posted by Lvenger (20039 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: He's my 3rd favourite writer for that very reason.

#34 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6930 posts) - - Show Bio

1. HAWKEYE

2. All New XMEN

3. Walking Dead

#35 Posted by WebHead32 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Superior Spider-Man, and Harbinger.

#36 Posted by flazam (2496 posts) - - Show Bio

justice league of america

batman and robin

daredevil by mark waid

#37 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I keep the turtle? A turtle bringing me comics sounds adorable xD

I'd probably go with the following:

1. Aquaman (Best solo series out so far, imo)
  2. Avengers/Justice League (For the big team crossovers, though I'm leaning towards JL for that gorgeous Reis art)
  3. New Avengers (Sad as it was to see Cap go, this series looks like it's building to a dramatic climax)
#38 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Hawkeye
  2. Batman
  3. Daredevil

That was difficult...

#39 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Through post #38 here is the current tally of votes:

1. Batman - 17

2. Justice League - 7

3. Hawkeye - 6

4. Superior Spider-Man - 5

5. All-New X-Men - 4

6T. Batman and Robin, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Indestructible Hulk, Saga, Daredevil, Thor: God of Thunder, New Avengers, Avengers - 3

15T. X-O Manowar, Superman, Justice League of America, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, The Walking Dead, Nightwing, Green Lantern - 2

23T. Supergirl, Superboy, Bedlam, Deadpool, Uncanny Avengers, Smallville, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Great Pacific, Animal Man, Invincible, The Flash, Earth 2, Detective Comics, Guardians of the Galaxy, Harbinger - 1

Votes that were disqualified:

Superman Unchained - 2 (not a current title)

Deadpool, Aquaman, Justice League, New Avengers - 1 (mentioned two books in one number slot)

Number of turtle mentions: 5

Clarification: This isn't supposed to be a competition about which book gets the most votes. It's supposed to be about which three books YOU care about the most. I just thought it would be interesting to see which books were being mentioned the most, so I counted.