Omega Beams vs Captain America's Shield

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By willpayton

Captain America's shield can take shots from Thor. Can it survive Darkseid's Omega Beams? (versions: most powerful versions of each)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Round 1: 2-second blast

Round 2: Sustained blast. As long as it takes.

Outcomes:

> No damage

> Minor damage

> Blasts a hole through the shield

> Disintegrates the whole shield.

Edit: Changed "No effect" to "No damage". BFR'ing the shield doesnt count.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jeanroygrant

1. No effect
2. Minor damage

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By karetaker

no effect both times

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

He could teleport it away. So yeah, there'd be an effect.

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bo88gdan
@karetaker said:

no effect both times

This 
Avatar image for iknoweverything
IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IKnowEverything

no effect either time

stonerthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By stonerthps
@Bo88gdan said:
@karetaker said:

no effect both times

This 
karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By karetaker

@JediXMan: then it wouldn't be a shield vs omega beams test would it

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GrandHarrier

Omega beams teleport the Shield through time.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By karetaker

@GrandHarrier: that wouldn't damage the shield

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@karetaker said:

Sure it is. That's an ability the Omega Sanction has. You said "no effect." That's simply wrong. Being teleported is an effect.

I stand by my comment.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

(1) Cap's shield is gone. (2) Cap's shield is gone.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jashro44

@JediXMan: Aren't the omega beams and omega effect 2 different things?

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GrandHarrier

@karetaker: He time-teleports it to the big bang? If you tell me it can survive the birth of the universe, I will withdraw my comment.

KraytRawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KraytRawk

No damage to sheild is done what so ever. But he could possibly teleport, no doubt..

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By karetaker

@GrandHarrier: the big bang wasn't actually an explosion. scientific fact just look it up.@JediXMan: no effect on the integrity of the shield as was the point of the test in the OP.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GrandHarrier

@karetaker: Correct. But the temperature was... very hot. "Temperatures were so high that the random motions of particles were at relativistic speeds , and particle-antiparticle pairs of all kinds were being continuously created and destroyed in collisions." Even a few minutes after, it was still over one billion degrees kelvin.

As of 2011, the shield has been damaged or destroyed several times within the confines of the Earth 616 continuity. On each of these occasions, the shield was subjected to a cosmically powerful force capable of reshaping matter on a massive scale.

Can it survive that?

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Killemall

@JediXMan said:

@karetaker said:

Sure it is. That's an ability the Omega Sanction has. You said "no effect." That's simply wrong. Being teleported is an effect.

I stand by my comment.

From what i understood from the battle its to see how durable the shield is, not what OB can do. OB can just as easily phase through the shield, transumate the shield, BFR etc, but i think the shield might be able to withstand the blast as long as it used purely as a force beam rather than use for other purpose at least for the first round. Still not convienced about round 2 though, i think even as a forced beam i think OB has what it takes to shatter the shield, but probably thats just me.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Killemall

@karetaker said:

@GrandHarrier: the big bang wasn't actually an explosion. scientific fact just look it up.

You are saying as if people know what the big bang actually is, its the birth of the universe thats all we know. It could be an explosion, an implosion, an outpost of the white hole, collision of membranes (M theory).

You certainly cant claim something as a fact when science doesnt know what happened, the only thing close to what has been speculated (string theory) is that the process was similar to supernova, regardless of how you put it its only a theory along with all other theory (super gravity, M theory, string theory, information paradox or commonly called Hawkin's Paradox).

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By karetaker

@GrandHarrier: i dont really know what it was like at the start of the universe. no one does thats just a theory. i could go the God approach and say cap is a christian and there is no big bang (but im an atheist).the temp shouldn't matter. but if the shields atoms were ripped apart or destroyed on that level it would work.that being said that wasn't the point of the test.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By karetaker

@Killemall: i meant it was the most excepted theory.your right no theory can be stated as fact.thats my bad

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@jashro44 said:

@JediXMan: Aren't the omega beams and omega effect 2 different things?

There is the Omega Effect. Technically, "Omega Beams" is the incorrect term. Omega Sanction or Effect is correct.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Killemall

@karetaker said:

@Killemall: i meant it was the most excepted theory.your right no theory can be stated as fact.thats my bad

I am a little taken aback, which theory states big bang to not be an explosion?

Because well the way Big Bang was actually drawn was a little weird to be honest, they pointed Hubble telescope into the deep field, and saw many distance galaxies, what was noteworthy was the most distance galaxy looked all red, now whats the chance that entire galaxy is filled with red stars (be it reg giants, supergiants and hypergiants). The theory put forward was that if the distance between those distance galaxy and our earth has increased over the period of them, this has an stretching effect into all form of energy waves, including lightwaves, and an stretch light wave turns to red spectrum. Then based on that a theory was formulated that universe is expanding, various research and evidences point to the same conclusion. So thats where big bang was born, if the space is constantly expanding, then if you rewind back time you will see universe collapsing so it should theoretically lead to a point where universe was very very very small, and thats what a big bang is.

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By karetaker

@Killemall: The "Big Bang" is commonly described as an explosion, but this is not really a good analogy. In fact, the universe was created through an expansion of space.

The Big Bang

In the big bang theory, the universe formed as a primeval fireball about 15 (or so) billion years ago. Initially the entire universe was compressed to the size of an infinitesimal point. At the moment of formation this primeval fireball began expanding and has been expanding ever since.

The initial expansion of this primeval fireball is almost universally described as a huge explosion. An explosion however is not the best analogy to describe this expansion. Why? In an explosion, such as a bomb or firecracker, matter blasts out from a central location and fills up space that is already there. The pieces of matter are moving away from each other because the blast gave them a large velocity away from the center of the blast.

Expansion but not Explosion

This is not what happened in the big bang. It is true that distant galaxies all appear to be moving away from us. That is not because we are the central point in the universe. It is also not because an explosion gave them a large outward velocity.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Killemall

@karetaker said:

@Killemall: The "Big Bang" is commonly described as an explosion, but this is not really a good analogy. In fact, the universe was created through an expansion of space.

The Big Bang

In the big bang theory, the universe formed as a primeval fireball about 15 (or so) billion years ago. Initially the entire universe was compressed to the size of an infinitesimal point. At the moment of formation this primeval fireball began expanding and has been expanding ever since.

The initial expansion of this primeval fireball is almost universally described as a huge explosion. An explosion however is not the best analogy to describe this expansion. Why? In an explosion, such as a bomb or firecracker, matter blasts out from a central location and fills up space that is already there. The pieces of matter are moving away from each other because the blast gave them a large velocity away from the center of the blast.

Expansion but not Explosion

This is not what happened in the big bang. It is true that distant galaxies all appear to be moving away from us. That is not because we are the central point in the universe. It is also not because an explosion gave them a large outward velocity.

Are you getting this from a wiki, because else if this is written by someone credible you should flip him a birdie.

Firstly, law of matter conversion - anything that pass the speed of sound produces a sonic boom thats the first burst of energy outlet, so unless we are saying universe expands slower than the speed of sound, which simply cannot be correct, there has to be a bang.

Secondly, the only thing that this says is its not explosion because there was no space before big bang, which based on some theory is correct. that doesnt change the fact that a rapid expansion of a tiny extremely hot matter has to cause an explosion, because unless some matter are converted into energy the expansion is not possible from a ball of pure energy, so there has to be an explosion somewhere.

Also the only thing this article or whatever it is seem to say there was a bang its just not called explosion because the matters didnt go out in the space that was already there but the space itself was created through this process. There still has to be a bang somewhere, else its just big with no bang theory ;p

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Enemybird

He disintegrates the whole shield

karetaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By karetaker

@Killemall: Its no from the wiki.but i found this theory alot of places. i dont think a sonic boom counts as an explosion in the conventional sense though. but i mean that was my whole point. i think the Bang is misunderstood. i honestly dont feel like having a thoughtfully intelligent conversation about this because my head hurts lol but not from this. But do u get what im trying to say?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By willpayton

Why are people arguing whether the Big Bang was an explosion or not? How is that relevant to the topic?

In any case, an explosion is generally what we call something that expands very fast. By that definition the Big Bang was an explosion. What actually happened at or before the point of singularity is unknown, but we (science) know very well what the universe was like even a small fraction of a second after the Big Bang. And, there's no way any physical object would survive in that early universe. I could go into detail, but it's really not relevant since real-world particle physics doesnt apply that well to comics.

Avatar image for almighty_darkseid
Almighty_Darkseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JediXMan said:

@ImTheDamnBatman said:

(1) Cap's shield is gone. (2) Cap's shield is gone.

@GrandHarrier said:

Omega beams teleport the Shield through time.

@GrandHarrier said:

@karetaker: He time-teleports it to the big bang? If you tell me it can survive the birth of the universe, I will withdraw my comment.

blackadamFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By blackadamFTW

@JediXMan said:

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By willpayton

Changed OP to specify "no damage" instead of "no effect" as the first option. The idea is to determine if the Omega Beams can damage the shield, not BFR it away.

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GrandHarrier

The shield has been disintegrated before (Molecule Man). And as the Omega Sanction is capable of disintegration and is a cosmic level energy, my response would be

1) Minor damage; Kryptonian level beings can survive short blasts. So I don't doubt the shield would endure brief exposure.

2) Disintegrates the whole shield.

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is interesting...

sorry for the bump but i'm curious as to limits of caps shield durability, can it really hold up to the omega beams?

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dratini1331

Don't OB remove existence? I don't even know anymore.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on whose writing the story, that's about it.

Avatar image for baron_von_santa
Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

this should not be here. though the omega effect is just that, an EFFECT, not heat, not concussive, but an effect, which the shield can not block

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baron_von_santa: isn't the effect used in the form of a beam distributed from his eyes?

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1, Barely suatains it.

2, Is eradicated like no man's buisness. CIN.

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the omega beams can teleport its target, decimate, etc. theres no way for the shield to block it or deflect it. it will do precisely what darkseid wants it to do.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shawnbaby

Make Sure It Is a Battle

The battle forum is for actual fights between characters. Things like 'who has the coolest power' or 'who gets the most chicks' ARE NOT BATTLES. Just because you put 'vs' in the title, does not automatically make it battle forum worthy. They should be placed in general discussion or in off-topic (depending on what they're about). As well, fights with characters who are not comic book or manga characters or haven't featured predominantly in comic books or manga (Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris, Barney Stinson vs Joey Tribbian etc) do not belong in the battle forum, either.

This has been discussed between the battle forum mods a bit. These are guidelines for what does and does not constitute a battle.

• Who Can Beat _____? - These are not battles and should be placed in that characters forum from this point forward. If they aren't and a mod notices, they'll be moved.
  • Power vs Power - Things like Optic Blast vs Heat Vision are not battles and will be moved to the appropriate forum from now on.
  • Item vs Item - Things like Mjolnir vs Captain America's Shield are not battles and will be moved to the appropriate forum from now on.
  • Can ___ Do ____? - Things like 'Can Wolverine's Claws Cut Cap's Shield' or "Can Superman's Heat Vision Melt Adamantium' are not battles and will be moved to the appropriate forum from now on.
Avatar image for baron_von_santa
Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@cooldes: when the light touches you you are then immediately being affected, of course, this is without PIS

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

It depends on whose writing the story, that's about it.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm sure Captain's shield would be heated. Then he drops it and get sliced in half by the omega beam.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No effect

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Vibranium isn't complete indestructible so it would break, omega beams are abit like hotu

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm Id say no damage then minor.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@jedixman said:

ivan_jimenez86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Cap's shield is either molecularized, teleported or broken,

2. Cap, himself, is no more!