Older vs Recent Comics - What do you prefer?

lrtaylor02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lrtaylor02

Recently I finished reading Iron Fist Vol. 1. And one of the things I noticed is that for the majority of the comics, he's is fighting someone. At first I kept thinking of how I would also like to also see what is going on in his life. But then I also noticed that there's actually a decent amount of development in his relationships and life that is shown despite the focus on fighting. And one can see the development of who Danny is as a person and a hero with each subsequent issue, which I think shows the brilliance of the comics and the storytelling. So much story that is not shown in the panels but you can still grasp and follow it. This got me thinking of how I remember reading that someone said comics nowadays are like soap operas, because there is so much drama between characters. And from what I've seen from more recent comics, I get that perspective. Though there are a lot of more recent comics I enjoy. So I am curious about what other people think about older comics versus newer ones and what people prefer to read. I'd have to say my favorite era of comics is the Bronze Age.

Also, if anyone can recommend any recent comics that captures the spirit of bronze age comics, that would be appreciated!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love older comics because that is what I grew up on and comics should always stay the way they were in the past, and anything that deviates from such would just absolutely ruin my entire life and everything that I hold dear. New comics should just stay away. People who bring new concepts to the table should all be fire. These changes affect people in the real world. Blah blah blah. By now you can tell I was being sarcastic.

The quality of comics improves with time, and they will just keep getting better and better.

Try giving Mark Waid's Daredevil run a try.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every age has its shares of good and bad. That said I do find myself reading a lot of older stuff more often. If you think about it though, comics have been around for a while. When we look back we tend to pick out the good, and ignore the bad. Since more comics have existed in the past then are now currently being released (duh), there have been more good comics (and bad as well) in past ages which makes it seem like older comics in general were better.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

Recent. Better art.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Generally I enjoy recent comics because it has a lot less unnecessary text. They aren't so packed with words. I enjoy the actual stories from all ages though.

Marco_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recent, i can't get past the crappy art for older books.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Newer books have better art, but older books (at least from Marvel and DC) have better writing.

I value writing more than art.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I enjoy stories from all ages.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the art argument, even though Jack Kirby is one of my favorite artists.

attatje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I prefer modern art but I think the writing equals each other.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12  Edited By GraniteSoldier

I prefer the more modern art styles (for the most part) but the stories tend to be good from both eras. Sometimes new stuff tries to hard to be "dark and gritty" to the point it feels cliché.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

Good question. Personally, I find older stories more appealing as you got more story for your buck. They also seemed more creative in that they "went for it" and would try out some wacky story things. That being said, older issues had the benefit of having taken place earlier in the characters' history/canon so they were less burdened down by readers' expectations. That being said, there's obviously a lot of well-written stuff out there now too. As far as art's concerned I do prefer today's over that of older issues.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Past comcis = better stories

Recent comics = better artwork

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recent. Better art.

This is pretty much what it comes down to for me as well.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A mix of story and art. So I'd say the middle (80s-90s).

ace20xd6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ace20xd6

I prefer just good comics in general and the majority of the really old comics I like are Will Eisner's Spirit. Plus comics like Watchmen & Batman Year One are already over twenty years old.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Recent. I feel the stories are more relevant to me and more entertaining as a result. I prefer the style of modern art over past, and when I read old comics the colors are usually faded. Older comics are also a lot more wordy, needlessly so. I don't need an inner monologue about how you're going to punch the villain in the face, just punch the villain in the face.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#19  Edited By Extremis

Recent. Better art.

This... sort of.

The colors used in comics these days are infinitely better than they were so it definitely results in better overall quality. Not that I'm seeing anyone say this specifically, but it doesn't necessarily mean the artists themselves are better. I think there's plenty of bad art out there today that is seen as good or mediocre just because the coloring these days is so good and people can't tell the difference. But a polished turd is still a turd at the end of the day.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

Can't really say I enjoy one more than the other. It just depends on the comic.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I like to read a mixture of both. I like to read the classics when they are available. I also love how compact the stories are in classic stories. Imagine how many issues it would take to tell Avengers #4 in a modern story arc. The first issue would end with a teaser of who did they find in the ice. Then the second and third issue would be Cap reacting to being unfrozen. Issues 4 & 5 would be Cap solving the mystery of how they got turned into statues with Rick Jones. It would all conclude in a 7th issue. Toss in an extra issue or two if it is a writer who really likes to drag things out.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Eh... generally older. I don't like most comics that have come out in the last five years. My favorite comics are from the mid-late 80s, early 90s, and early 2000s.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By sinestro_GL

Depends how old is 'old'.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I enjoy stories from all ages.

This. You can't define a story by its age. That's why we have timeless tales.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Veshark

I like a mix of both, it really depends on the mood. Sometimes I enjoy the kooky storytelling and the dynamic Kirby art of 60s Marvel. At others, I want the modern edgy summer-blockbuster battles of the 2000s Ultimates. And at other times, I might be itching for the innovative superhero books of the 80s. It all depends, and I don't think any comic fan gravitates towards one or the other specific era for comic-books. There are great comics from every generation.

In terms of art, naturally we'll gravitate towards the newer titles I think, if only from an aesthetic standpoint.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. Comics are for losers

lrtaylor02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twentyfive: Thanks for the suggestion! Started reading Daredevil and it's really good!

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't really have a preference. I enjoy re-reading older comics and kind of smirk at the corniness of them but just like everything else in the world, things you experience as a kid are a lot different when you're older.

Both have their charm and detraction. Really couldn't pick one over the other.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@theacidskull said:

Writing-Older

Art-Modern

This. So much this.

I love comics, I really do...but today...you can read an issue in 5 minutes if you're a good reader. 15 maybe if you're slow.

Don't get me wrong, I love the double pages with epic art scenes...for example

No Caption Provided

...I mean how RIDICULOUS is that? Vertigo mind-raping ollie?

...but it only takes 5s to actually read what's being said.

In older comics, it can no-joke take 20-30 minutes to read 1 issue because the writing plentiful. And while its true the art isn't as good, it still has its charms sometimes.

Most of the older comics I've read are Spider-Man ones and for just about all of Lee's run on them, each comic its own story. And while it may not be as epic as a 6+ issue arc, its also nice to be able to pick up and issue, start and finish and story and be satisfied and not have to wait 6 months to get everything too.

The only nitpick is that old writing is usually outdated (obviously) with lingo and themes...but its a nitpick.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By consolemaster001

Well older comics have better stories.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: my issue with older comics is the unnecessary exposition in the writing. I enjoy the single story nature they tend to have, as you said you do that have to wait 6 months for the story to finish. But I struggle with the detailed description of everything that is happening on Page or one character explaining something that doesn't need explaining.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#34  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@fallschirmjager: my issue with older comics is the unnecessary exposition in the writing. I enjoy the single story nature they tend to have, as you said you do that have to wait 6 months for the story to finish. But I struggle with the detailed description of everything that is happening on Page or one character explaining something that doesn't need explaining.

Yeah its not perfect, regardless of the era.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like old and golden age characters in new settings. like the idea of old superheroes showing the new generation a thing or two and still having there place. same reason I like pulp characters. Dynamite does that very well.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#36  Edited By batmannflash

Recent.

Art is very important to me

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Older. more time is spent on the story. comics today are good, but the storylines are hit and miss.