• 139 results
#1 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23916 posts) - - Show Bio

Since we already have an Warhammer 40.000 thread, I believe we should have one for its counterpart. Here we talk about anything from books, games, comics... All things Warhammer Fantasy :)

This is a dark age, a bloody age, an age of daemons and of sorcery. It is an age of battle and death, and of the world's ending. Amidst all of the fire, flame and fury it is a time, too, of mighty heroes, of bold deeds and great courage. At the heart of the Old World sprawls the Empire, the largest and most powerful of the human realms. Known for its engineers, sorcerers, traders and soldiers, it is a land of great mountains, mighty rivers, dark forests and vast cities. And from his throne in Altdorf reigns the Emperor Karl Franz, sacred descendant of the founder of these lands, Sigmar, and wielder of his magical warhammer. But these are far from civilised times. Across the length and breadth of the Old World, from the knightly palaces of Bretonnia to ice-bound Kislev in the far north, come rumblings of war. In the towering World's Edge Mountains, the Orc tribes are gathering for another assault. Bandits and renegades harry the wild southern lands of the Border Princes. There are rumours of rat-things, the Skaven, emerging from the sewers and swamps across the land. And from the northern wildernesses there is the ever-present threat of Chaos, of daemons and beastmen corrupted by the foul powers of the Dark Gods. As the time of battle draws ever near, the Empire needs heroes like never before.

You may want to use the Wiki if you want to be informed

http://warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

#3 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23916 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets face it, its pretty hard to NOT find the vampires badass specially when we have examples such as the Van Carsteins

Neferata...

And Nagash the Undying

Well he is technically a Lich, but he created the Vampires so he counts...

#4 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet thread I'm going to make sure this this doesn't go bye bye.

What is everyone favorite races here I like a lot but mostly vampire counts and high elves.

#5 Edited by Inverno (13292 posts) - - Show Bio

In her original existence, Valkia was a warrior-queen of one of the savage tribes of Norsca. Having shown her mettle in battle as a shield-maiden, she ascended to the throne when her father, King Merroc, died in battle. Valkia became infamous throughout the North for slaying any who challenged her right to rule. This pleased the god of her tribe -- Khorne, known amongst her people as the Axefather, for this meant that Valkia had slain many agents of the other Chaos Gods. When a servant of Slaanesh, a Daemon Prince known as Locephax, came into Valkia's hall and, smitten by her feral beauty, commanded that she abandon the life of a monarch to service his depraved needs as a harem-girl, the proud warrior-queen truly flew into the berserker rage and struck off the Daemon Prince's very head with her barbed spear -- Slaupnir -- in a battle that lasted many days and many nights. Valkia affixed the severed but still whispering head of the daemon to her shield, and swore before her tribe that she would carry it to the Chaos Wastes and place it at the very foot of Khorne's throne.

As she traveled north, the daemons of Slaanesh dwelling within the Wastes fell upon Valkia, eager to avenge the insult she had made to their master. Though Valkia was a fierce warrior of Norsca, not even she could stand long against such a horde of abominations. Though she and her followers fought valiantly, the Queen was eventually torn to pieces by the daemons. In spite of her failure, her valour and courage had pleased Khorne, and so the Blood God saw fit to intervene. The sagas of the Norse say that Khorne's roars shook the very foundations of the earth, that his bellows made the mountains themselves tremble and woke Valkia from death. Khorne then took Valkia in his burning grasp and twisted her into a more pleasing form -- forging her anew in the fires of his wrath. He bent back great horns from her skull, gave her the long, bestial legs of a Bloodletter and pulled back great, bloody wings from the flesh and muscle of her shapely back. Reborn as a mighty Daemon Queen, Khorne set upon her a new task: She would now descend every dawn onto the battlefields of the mortal realms, and fight alongside those worthy warriors of Norsca and beyond who served Khorne and from the ranks of their dead she would bear warriors who died in glorious battle to the Halls of Khorne where they would fight on the Blood God's legions for all eternity. Thus, the Gorequeen, the Shield-Maiden of Khorne, was born.

Say what you will about Valkya, but its really badass to kill a Daemon Prince by yourself when you are just a human, then earns Khorne's approval and attraction and ascending into a Daemon Princess.
#6 Posted by G_leno (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I have High Elves, Tomb kings and Lizardmen. I am using Tombies the most at the moment.

#7 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35154 posts) - - Show Bio

SKAVEN & TOMBKINGS

#8 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

Lizardmen and Tomb Kings is where its at!!!!

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35154 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to see this thread getting active : )

#11 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23916 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anybody Gotrek and Felix?

#12 Edited by Orician_Seis (491 posts) - - Show Bio

Thisis the MUCH beter game in my opinion

#13 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: You mean read then yes I have it's a nice series to read.

#14 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23916 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: You mean read then yes I have it's a nice series to read.

Niiiiice... I read some articles about it and seems to be a combination of epic and comedy ;)

#15 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: It is , I think there are three omnibus of the series already out.

#16 Edited by MaccyD (5111 posts) - - Show Bio

Here I was I thinking I'd be the only one to like Lizardmen :P

Pity there's barely any novels revolving around them. :(

#17 Posted by MaccyD (5111 posts) - - Show Bio

What novel series would people recommend?

#18 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: I would check out the time of legends series and then the Gotrek and Felix is also a good one.

#19 Posted by MaccyD (5111 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowswordmaster: Would you recommend previous editions of army books? (current editions are overpriced and mainly only add new in-game rules as far as I know) If I remember, though, most of those are took up by in-game rules. Would you prefer that or the wikias?

#20 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: I would say just look up the wikias first and see what you find there before anything.

#21 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23916 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23916 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowswordmaster: Is it just me or does it seem like Warhammer Fantasy has more prominent female characters than 40K?

#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35154 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there a Warhammer Fantasy version of the Horus Heresy?

#24 Edited by Inverno (13292 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe not. My knowledge of the lore isn't as comparable as 40k's, but as far as I know, Sigmar (the Emperor's counterpart) was never betrayed by his own followers. He did face Chaos Everchosen Morkar who filled the same role as Horus had for the Chaos Gods in 40K, but Morkar wasn't related in anyway to Sigmar.

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35154 posts) - - Show Bio

@inverno said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

I believe not. My knowledge of the lore isn't as comparable as 40k's, but as far as I know, Sigmar (the Emperor's counterpart) was never betrayed by his own followers. He did face Chaos Everchosen Morkar who filled the same role as Horus had for the Chaos Gods in 40K, but Morkar wasn't related in anyway to Sigmar.

Well I don't necessarily mean an exact retelling or anything but rather like some kind of event with books that tell different stories happen during that time.

#26 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: I you maybe right about that I can name for female fantasy characters then 40ks.

#27 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23916 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowswordmaster: Not only that, but I mean, how many females really have a huge impact in the W40K background like Nepherata or the Everqueen do in Warhammer Fantasy?

#28 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: I can't really think of any other then what be consider small roles compare to the fantasy once I think about it.I mean you have the everqueens like you said and the Lady of the Lake and the ones you also mention.

#29 Edited by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowswordmaster: Is it just me or does it seem like Warhammer Fantasy has more prominent female characters than 40K?

Yes fantasy warhammer has more prominent famale charaters. 40k has its fair share of female characters but as the 40k-verse is basically dominated by Space Marine's (especially the Smurf-Marines as they are GW's flagship characters) the other characters don't get much of the limelight but their are some prominent female characters such as:

• Lelith Hesperax
  • Taldeer
  • Commander Shadowsun
  • Celestine

To name a few.

#30 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35154 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct said:

Yes fantasy warhammer has more prominent famale charaters. 40k has its fair share of female characters but as the 40k-verse is basically dominated by Space Marine's (especially the Smurf-Marines as they are GW's flagship characters) the other characters don't get much of the limelight but their are some prominent female characters such as:

• Lelith Hesperax
  • Taldeer
  • Commander Shadowsun
  • Celestine

To name a few.

I always think of the Hive Mind as female for some reason.

#31 Edited by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

No Warhammer fantasy thread is complete without this guy:

Archaon Everchosen

Otherwise known as the hunny badger of the Warhammer Fantasy-verse. Why you may ask? Because he's the king of not giving a crap! He took on hundreds of monsters in the pitch black and slaughtered them all, looked Slaanesh in the eye and told him/her to gtfo, strangled a Bloodthirster with its own whip, resisted every single disease Nurgle could throw at him, made it through a maze designed by Tzeentch, in a fight with Valten (Chosen of Sigmar) he backhanded the guy across the battle field lol to name a few of his feats.

#32 Edited by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35154 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (16519 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35154 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

Few cools vids Enjoy :)

#38 Edited by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio
We're poisoning your food and water and killing your generals in their sleep.

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35154 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: A different kind of cold blood...my friend use to play Lizardmen, I always found it amusing I would get five or so rats to one of his lizards. Stronger they're no doubt, but I always loved to field an insane amount of figures and just having so much to work with.

#42 Edited by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

Malekith The Witch King.

#43 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: What really infuriates me about Warhammer fantasy is that its nowhere near as fleshed out as 40k. I mean there are no novels on a lot of the different factions and it annoys me cuz i'd love a good Lizardmen novel with some lore.

#44 Edited by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

Aenarion & his faithful Dragon Indraugnir.

#45 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35154 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: I came to Warhammer fantasy before I ever knew about 40k. I've noticed however it seems like most people don't even bother with fantasy anymore. I've actually never read any of the novels for either fantasy or 40k. I want a fantasy version of Dawn of War.

#47 Edited by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: Same my first GW experience was with Lizardmen and then Eldar (kinda funny that they are the two oldest races in each universe). So I have a soft spot for the lizardmen.

Kroq Gar was my favorite!!!

I've read the first Nagash book and have the other two but thats about as far as my experience with the fantasy books goes.

#48 Edited by Chaos Prime (10857 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by MaccyD (5111 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: What really infuriates me about Warhammer fantasy is that its nowhere near as fleshed out as 40k. I mean there are no novels on a lot of the different factions and it annoys me cuz i'd love a good Lizardmen novel with some lore.

It makes up for it by being slightly more balanced with the factions and not just Space Marine vs Chaos>>>>>>>>everything else.

The lore is just as big, it's usually told from a broader perspective than 40k and relies less on novels.

About Lizardman lore, their way of thinking is meant to be alien to use, hence why most novels around them tend to be other races experiences with them.

#50 Posted by Strider92 (16837 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: I agree GW does push Space Marines Vs Chaos too much. I'm waiting patiently for a "War In Heaven" series of novels. I'd love to see the full scope of the fall of Necrotyr to the C'tan.