Off YOUR Mind: What Comic Books Would Make a Great TV Show?

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Mezmero

As far as the realm of live action goes I would like to see a TV show for Preacher. As much bat shit craziness as Garth Ennis crams into those books the storytelling is mostly very down to earth so to speak. Everything else I might crave would be best done as animated series first to at least test the waters. Deadpool, West Coast Avengers, X-Force, Priest, and Invincible are a few comics that I'd like to see made into cartoons, albeit most of these shows would be pretty violent and might need to get produced on Adult Swim or HBO or something. I also want someone to give a Silver Surfer cartoon another shot seeing as the 90's animated series was criminally underrated.

Avatar image for atomicvideohead
atomicvideohead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By atomicvideohead
No Caption Provided

Doctor Strange -- Pretty simple. Disconnected from marvel universe, fits within a pretread path of supernatural detective. Has a good character arch with the ruined hands, and becoming humble. More palatable than constantine. Also would move the character forward, nicely. The Strange miniseries a while back where he picked up an apprentice might be a good concept or initial story arch.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#103  Edited By knighthood

Previously Mentioned

• Starman
  • Alias
  • Y the Last Man
  • Cloak and Dagger
  • X-Factor
  • Hellblazer
  • The Spider
  • Doc Savage
  • Animal Man (costly effects)

My Recommendations

Captain Atom (costly effects)

No Caption Provided

Ghost

No Caption Provided

B.P.R.D.

No Caption Provided
BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By BatClaw89

Human Target was a great show. and they cancelled it. they will just end up cancelling every show we like and want.

elayem98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By elayem98

@RedX9 said:

@wowylied: I couldn't agree more about Smallville. It was just a bad show that used the relationships to tell the story but it was never really character driven. Its for this reason that they show suffered. It was far far far from being good.

the show suffered?? it lasted 10 seasons..

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Barkley

One word:Batman

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Dedpool

Most I can think of have been mentioned like Punisher, Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Heroes for Hire, etc. I will add: Moon Knight Suicide Squad Infinite Kung-Fu (anime form) Werewolf By night or Morbius

wowylied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By wowylied

@elayem98:

10 seasons of crap.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#109  Edited By GothamRed
MC2
MC2

I'd like to see it happen.

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#110  Edited By GBrutality

i saw some people put up x-factor investigations and i have to say, that could work really well, pre-havok and polaris though. all their powers could be translatable for a tv show. M and Strong Guy would be a little troubling but i definitely could see them getting around it.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By ThomasElliot

@Armoes said:

Slightly off topic, but I've stated to watch Alphas. At first I dismissed it as a cheap X-Men rip off, but have gotten past that.

No costumes, low level powers and characters we care about (and how they relate to one another) all works well for TV.

Whats funny is a friend recommended a show to me a long while back... and I kept thinking he said it was Alphas. So I started watching Alphas and totally dig it. Its not the GREATEST ever show made, but its rather well done and it smartly keeps itself narrowed... the problem with Heroes is that it's ambitions were way to high and inflated at the start and imploded in on itself.

But the funny part is... so I blow through all of season 1 of Alphas, then go back to my friend to talk about it and say how good it was... only for him to go, "What's Alphas? You mean Misfits? I was telling you about Misfits before..."

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#112  Edited By Mbecks14

@4donkeyjohnson said:

The Suicide Squad! Amanda Waller, Deadshot, Captain Boomerang in a Prison Break meets Alias type show with cameos by the DC big guns

I'd watch that!

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#113  Edited By Mbecks14

@MadOmegaMan said:

I always thought Captain Marvel would be a perfect character and show to introduce kids to a wider range of heroes.

I mean he is a kid, who at the shout of a magic word turns into a superhero. The villains i.e. Black Adam, Doctor Sivana are stereotypically villanous.

And it wouldn't have to just be for the kids, I think we can all remember how suprised we were to liking Batman The Brave and The Bold, but we still did!

Good Call! I'd LOVE to see a Captain Marvel/Shazam show! But i'd rather see it as an animated series

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#114  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Walking Dead! Oh, wait...

Assuming it can air on HBO/Showtime/etc: I'd love to see Old Man Logan, Y: The Last Man or Punisher MAX.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By stumpy49er

G.C.P.D. also B.P.R.D.! I swear it's not out of love of acronyms, I just think they'd both be great shows. G.C.P.D. Would show a human side to the comic book world, plus it would still have the action and drama of other cop shows. B.P.R.D. would be a great show along the lines of X Files, but with supernatural creatures and people at the lead.

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#116  Edited By Bluefox170

Deathstroke

Punisher

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I made an article about this subject. So, here are comics I would like to see made into tv shows:

http://playeraffinity.com/comics/comic-features/what-comic-book-series-should-get-a-television-series.html

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By JamesKM716

Obviously i think a Batman show would work beautifully. I also think that with proper execution, almost any comic book could be adapted to TV. I mean, maybe release episodes every two weeks or something, but definitly keep the whole episodic feel and story arcs. Its just do a three episodes story arc as opposed to a 6 part one.

EmperorAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By EmperorAC

The Question (Vic Sage) could be a nice gritty detective show

VyseCarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By VyseCarma

X-Force

Do I really have to give a reason? If so I'll come back and write a paragraph.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Jorgevy

@elayem98 said:

@RedX9 said:

@wowylied: I couldn't agree more about Smallville. It was just a bad show that used the relationships to tell the story but it was never really character driven. Its for this reason that they show suffered. It was far far far from being good.

the show suffered?? it lasted 10 seasons..

true and they weren't 10 seasons of crap, some seasons could be seen as weak but it was mostly awesome

Also, it got a 11th season who is on comics right now and it's IMO one of the best seasons so far.

IMHO we need a comic show that is like Smallville in the teenager/character part. It means you can use less special effects, tell more stories and use different characters. Maybe something like a teenager team. Teen Titans? or maybe Runaways?

I think the formula should be several characters + teenagers/young adults

Kinda like Young Justice but live action?

145evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By 145evil

@Mega_spidey01 said:

cloak & dagger ! make it happend marvel.
cloak & dagger ! make it happend marvel.

Agree 100%

UrbanChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By UrbanChill

blue bettle static shock firestorm all would make great cartoons

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By NightFang3

I think Y: The Last Man and 100 Bullets would make good television shows.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know he's already gotten a movie but Constantine would make for a great tv show if its differences from Buffy, Angel, Charmed or Supernatural are highlighted from the start, such as Constantine not having any innate abilities and his general demeanor, sarcasm being more like the Hellblazer series than his depiction in mainstream DC. Really emphasize his loneliness based on the mistakes and costly actions of his past. No team support or goofy side-kicks. The support cast comes solely from the cops or other magical humans he works alongside on cases or in asking for help. The setting of London would be a nice change of pace because it gives off that old world vibe and feel that fits with the idea of battle demons and evil magic. Single episodes each season could even be filmed in smaller European towns to show Constantine's not limited to the city.

Also don't focus on good and evil and such. Just portray magic and demons as being a natural part of the world, not some big eternal battle or contest or anything like that. Its just something that's always existed and always will and is as much a natural part of the world as people are. Doesn't mean the show can't have a big bad trying to gain a crap ton of power, I just don't want to have to listen to another show drone on about good vs evil and one side against the other. Constantine is a morally grey character, so his show should through all those concepts out the window.

Unfortunately the series probably wouldn't be allowed to be called Hellblazer as it should be.

mtbmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By mtbmonkey

I think that the Inhumans and Daredevil would make perfect tv shows.

The Inhumans could have Black Bolt and Medusa and crew, plus you could develop new characters like the series about 10 years ago. Plus Lockjaw!!!!!!!!!!

Television would be a perfect medium for Daredevil. Someone earlier mentioned about courtroom dramas. That is spot on. Daredevil would be the perfect testing ground for other characters. Power Man and Iron Fist, Heroes for Hire, Shang Chi, Moon Knight, and Punisher. It would have to have a big name (Waid, Brubaker, Whedon) to write the series.

McKnight87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#128  Edited By McKnight87

Nightwing would be great. You don't even need extra special effects. He's a great hero without Batman. You really only need to have Bats in an origin story and possibly one guest spot. Go with Dick. Don't even TRY to bring in John Blake. Use the original.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By kid Apollo

id love love love to see a new X-men show, but a few weeks ago a friend and i threw together some thoughts for a Heroes for Hire tv show. Starts off with Cage in jail, experiments, release etc. then he starts fighting the gangs throughout new york and meets the iron fist. the first season would delve into the fists backround with k'un l'un and him taking the reigns of Rand International. theyd meet detective Knight and Colleen Wing. set within the Marvel cinematic universe, you could reference Stark with Misty's eventual bionic arm. As a funny side note we thought Matt Murdock could be featured as just a lawyer. the budget wouldnt be too bad cause theyre mostly fighting gangs and street level enemies. you really only have to cgi the fists chi hand. i was thinking rob brown and liam hemsworth

Avatar image for ceruleanlantern
ceruleanlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By ceruleanlantern

Hellblazer could be cool, but only if he was british and not keanu.

also I know its new, but Witch Doctor would be cool with Benidict Cumberbatch as Vincent Morrow

akawiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By akawiccan

I would love to see a Suicide Squad oder a Checkmate TV series. It would be more an action series and not so much superheroes. Maybe a some appearances by some DC characters here and there.

RedSteel15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#132  Edited By RedSteel15

Chew would be really good.

Blizaga101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#133  Edited By Blizaga101

Absolutely cloak and dagger an remember reading a small plot idea where it's set in new Orleans and they're private detectives, that would be perfect for me

theoknows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By theoknows

Animal Man, American Vampire

gammaduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By gammaduck

I definitely agree series like Y: The Last Man and Chew lend themselves more to TV series than films. Likewise something like the Sixth Gun, which would be a great HBO/Showtime series.

Beyond that, I'd love to see the Question (Vic Sage version) as a TV series. A TV newsman who's also an urban vigilante? How does that not write itself?

Finally, though, with all the mention of James Robinson's work, the comic I'd like to see as a show the most would be Firearm. A retired James Bond type with a special handgun tangling with super-powered menaces? Sign me the hell up.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By thenexusrebound

I would want a proper Witchblade tv show. That or a show focusing on the Darkness or the Artifacts on the whole. My final option would be Red Hood and the Outlaws. It would be cool to have some anti-heros on tv darn it,

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Wolfrazer

Question(Vic Sage), with all the theory conspiracies around could make for some good stories, could also make up some conspiracies too. A reporter vigilante, with no super powers, no fancy technology, just relying on his own set of skills would be neat to see. The Illuminati could make for a great antagonist group, in trying to stop Vic from uncovering the many conspiracies that they hide away.

Booster_Bronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Booster_Bronze

I totally agree on Y: The Last Man. The huge success of The Walking Dead has shown that audiences will eat up post-apocalyptic stories if done right, plus I think it would have a huge male audience (all daydreaming about being the last man on earth) and a huge female audience (curious to see how a world run by women would turn out, even if they didn't agree it would generate great debate about gender differences and if women really WOULD be that violent). In short, it would create a TON of great debate about gender roles in our society.

RedHood1110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By RedHood1110

1. Red Hood and the Outlaws - The trio is perfect for tv. All three characters are flawed and entertaining, each with their own internal and external conflicts. Early comic series narratives like Jason's "hobby" of toppling crime families could provide first season material while hinting towards season 2 material like the space adventures they're on right now. Thematically, I see it looking like a darker, edgier Burn Notice.

2. Birds of Prey - I know it's been done before, but it has the potential. With a talent like Gail Simone behind it, who in my opinion wrote the best run of BoP EVER, the show could be a real hit. Canary (leader), Starling (new kid), Huntress (hothead), Batgirl (brainy), and Katana (quiet and broody) each make up a familiar archetype for a television team.

3. Jonathan Hickman's Pax Romana - As a miniseries, Pax Romana would be AMAZING! Hickman's dialogue is perfect for dramatic television, and the entire tone of the story would translate beautifully onto the screen. Modern military might meets the grandeur of the Roman Empire. Power, ambition, fear, shifting geopolitics, like Gladiator, Act of Valor, and The West Wing had a scientifically impossible but still badass baby together! Just think about it.

4. The Boys - What needs to be said?

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140  Edited By TheMess1428

Deadpool should have a cartoon on Adult Swim. Nightwing or Red Hood and the Outlaws could make good shows.

midnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By midnightmare

Point 1) The obvious choises are street levellers like Daredevil, Moon Knight, or now Green Arrow since they require a lower bugget.

Point 2) Every comic character too flashy(whith powers that require a lot of digital efects) require to be downgraded to reduce expenses, Alphas is basicly a cheaper version of the X-Men, or made animated(or they have the risk of look like the power rangers).

Point 3) There must be animated shows made by HBO or Showtime, NO MORE CARTOON NETWORK OR DISNEY XD, Young Justice is a nice show, but the Latin American version of CN hates it, and only broadcasted it for a mont, and XD demand tha if you want to watch the AEMH then you wake up early of keep awake until 1:30 a.m. Commonly networks understand animated as for kinds, unless is a dark comedy show, and since i don't see a Superman, Spiderman or Green Lantern as a gritty cartoon, they could try Suicide Squad, Secret Six, Deadpool, Uncanny X-Force, Astro city, Irredemeble, etc.

Now i would like to see a real action show based on the Defenders( made like Alphas but whith mistic themes), Sleeper( it has powers and sci-fy but was more bullets and paranoia), or one based on 3 or 4 street levellers joining to clean a city or take down a big crime cartel( they could go whith Marvel Knights or Bat Family or something alike).

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#142  Edited By zombietag

Y THE LAST MAN! Y THE LAST MAN! Y THE LAST MAN! Y THE LAST MAN! Y THE LAST MAN! Y THE LAST MAN! Y THE LAST MAN!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#143  Edited By Billy Batson

100 Bullets.

Also Scalped.
BB

18batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By 18batman

I would like to see a blue beetle series with jaime reyes

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#145  Edited By Billy Batson

@NightFang said:

I think Y: The Last Man and 100 Bullets would make good television shows.

No Caption Provided

BB

TheCommissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By TheCommissar

I'd like a show based around Ghost, The Question, or The Flash.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#147  Edited By BatWatch

I was really hoping to see Runaways in a television show. Whedon has worked with them before, and they have the sort of ensemble cast that Whedon does so well. I think the powers could be done without much curbing. None of the characters have particularly flashy powers except for Karolina.

TomHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By TomHunter

Forget that stupid movie, I want a JONAH HEX series!! Maybe on A&E or HBO or some cable outlet that stays true to the source material. Maybe with occassional appearances by DC western characters such as Bat Lash, Cinnamon, and so forth.

Hermatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Hermatt

The late show with Groot.

KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers