• 67 results
Posted by G-Man (34334 posts) - - Show Bio
Play
Please use a flash or html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Staff
#1 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

first grade was hard for me

#2 Edited by ZombieMowlcher (677 posts) - - Show Bio
@allstarsuperman

I do think Mutants have human rights. They are mutated humans, but still humans.

#3 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

first grade was hard for me

why does this keep happening!

@allstarsuperman

I do think Mutants have human rights. They are mutated humans, but still humans.

same

#4 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

From the X-Men cartoon...

Trask: I created you to protect humans from mutants!

Master Mold: That is not logical. Mutants ARE human.

So, yes.

#5 Edited by dvorak (187 posts) - - Show Bio

People trying to drawing the line at where humanity begins and ends has led to a lot of terrible stuff over the course of real-life history. That's part of what makes the X-Men drama so relevant, when compared to other comics.

#6 Edited by Mr. Kamikaze (526 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Burnham looks like he should be modeling underwear or something...dude is so damn pretty... o.O

#7 Posted by Oscars94 (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep they people just like us. I never understood why they were marginalised ad other superhumans weren't (until Civil War). Mutants were born that way and other superhumans e.g(Hulk, Fantastic Four, Spider-man etc. )got them from other means, why did people care so much ? :D

#8 Posted by Dernman (15112 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes because they are humans.

#9 Edited by wolverine1610 (250 posts) - - Show Bio

So, yes.

cue the oh crap moment lol

#10 Posted by Mezmero (932 posts) - - Show Bio

These creators are wrong, kinda. The natural impulse would be to say every human has rights but you just can't give that to every mutant. You've got to consider this question on a case by case basis. Some are okay but we've sort of covered this topic with the question about psychics invading peoples' privacy. You absolutely can't let psychics have American rights because it would be too easy for them to put themselves above the law. Self preservation is the natural instinct to follow for evolved species. Mutants would not hesitate to put themselves above us with any chance they get.

I think House of M showed us what happens when mutants get rights. They lord over humans with fear and intimidation just as humans have done to themselves for thousands of years. They need to be regulated and used as weapons by any military corp that can detain or control them. It sucks to have to think this way considering a good chunk of the Marvel universe is comprised of metahumans. Earth's greatest strength lies within the high number of Latents that develop beyond the potential of the Eternals, and Deviants in the galaxy.

I guess if you do allow human rights to mutants it needs to be based on citizenship. But then does Dust deserve civil rights even though she was born a mutant in a society that doesn't think she should have any? It's their country and she had a role in it no matter how inhumane. Personally I think she absolutely deserved a better life but is it because she was born a good person or because she was born a mutant? If a mutant can qualify for a green card then there's no reason not to give them the same rights as everyone else in America. If they get mistreated it's an impulse by the homo sapiens who act on instinct to survive the evolution of the species. It would be best to learn from the fittest and improve oneself than to act on hate and fear. Thanks for the video!

#11 Posted by Teerack (6390 posts) - - Show Bio

Alex Summers said it best most recently. They're all human.

#12 Posted by AlKusanagi (605 posts) - - Show Bio

All the Mutant extremists proudly proclaim they're not human, so if that's how they feel, eff 'em.

#13 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with mutants is that by exercising their abilities, they can easily ignore or encroach upon the rights of others. While they are all human, being able to change someone's mind, murder innocent life and damage property very easily makes it harder to act as if they're "just" human. Mutants never really had an advocate that promoted some form of governing body and established rules - the only characters that get attention are the extremists & vigilantes.

#14 Posted by Mutie199 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Having blue eyes is a mutation. People with blue eyes have rights. Mutants should have rights too, although, for some of them, their rights should be adapted depending on their individual abilities e.g. telepaths can not read someone else's mind without a warrant or their permission.

#15 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

So, yes.

Great quote.

#16 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#17 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17472 posts) - - Show Bio

Do humans get monkey rights? or monkeys get single cell organism rights? or vice versa?

#18 Edited by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they don't get "human rights," which is really silly since the idea of human rights is that everyone has them. But they WOULD have rights as citizens of a country. That means, at least in North America, fair and equal treatment in the eyes of the law.

If we take the established canon at it's word, that mutants are something different, they would not technically have human rights.

#19 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

So, yes.

I like you.

#20 Posted by AskaniSon295 (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Mutants have Mutant Rights. Their mutant powers can do so much damage to the human world. If revealed they have a power they have to show that they can use it in accordance to human law. Unfortunately when most mutants receive their powers they are unable to control them. Thus any accident caused by such power would be considered an accident with no guilty party. If a mutant was then not able or given the ability to control such power and did not use the power with malicious intent the mutant would innocent until the authorities are able to facilitate a obligatory program to teach the mutant and prevent any future incidents. It is the obligation of the government to teach mutants to use their powers responsibly according to the laws of that country.

#21 Edited by ArturoCalaKayVee (11626 posts) - - Show Bio

Homo-Sapien Superior

Yes, I do believe they should have Human Rights. They're just the next step in evolutionary trail.

#22 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

@mezmero said:

These creators are wrong, kinda. The natural impulse would be to say every human has rights but you just can't give that to every mutant. You've got to consider this question on a case by case basis. Some are okay but we've sort of covered this topic with the question about psychics invading peoples' privacy. You absolutely can't let psychics have American rights because it would be too easy for them to put themselves above the law. Self preservation is the natural instinct to follow for evolved species. Mutants would not hesitate to put themselves above us with any chance they get.

You just completely undercut the purpose of "human rights." Bravo.

#23 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I want to discriminate people legally

Its like Apartheid and the Nazi regime, but it's okay to join to bash the muties for being different. Its fun to poke and dehumanize them.

and relevant

#24 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@ferro_vida: comparing semites and vegetables is one weird concept

related

#26 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx:

Might want to slap an explicit warning on the vid before someone flags you.

But I really loved that movie.

#27 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@ferro_vida: yeah, I love how they showed that racism is dumb and idiots do it :)

but still, the thought of marching mutant families to death camps is sweet. I want to be like stryker and his purifiers, since religion is a fun way to bash minorities.

#28 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx:

You have grasp of things that many people do not... And you embrace evil. I can respect that.

#29 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@ferro_vida: when people say empathy I try to put on everybody's shoes, get a bit on both sides so I have a better judgement. Better than to be biased on morals.

#30 Posted by Barkley (272 posts) - - Show Bio

yes the do ......its kind of a silly question

#31 Posted by Beast_in_the_Shadows (430 posts) - - Show Bio

Even tho a lot of writers like to say that mutants are a "new" species the comics and stories make it clear that from a species stand point, they are still Homo-sapiens, no superior.

What denotes two animal being from different species is the inability to have naturally fertile offspring together. Horses and donkeys are separate species because their offspring, mules, are always infertile. Lions and tigers are just barely a separate species because males born from a male lion and female tiger will always be infertile (while females of the same coupling or either gendered cub from the reverse coupling can be fertile)

In spite of all their great, every breed of dog you have ever seen is still canis lupus as they can still genetically have fertile pups when breed with gray wolves.

However, even if mutants had truly speciated, all sentient beings should be entitled the same rights we allow ourselves.

#32 Edited by hushicho (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Using House of M as a 'look what happens if mutants get rights' argument is about like using Rob Liefeld's art for a course on accurate human anatomy.

Mutants are entitled to human rights, because a human mutant is still human. Mutants are mutated humans. If they were another species, they would be called something else. A mutant is so called because it has mutated but is still a member of the species. The whole reason why ignorant anti-mutant idiots in comics are characters people hate is because they're wrong and they're stupid; they are judging by external appearances, rather than by the quality of one's character, and furthermore they're not using any accurate scientific thought to differentiate between perceived species. They're just hating on something that's different, because they don't understand it and thus are afraid of it. They do it in the real world just as in the comics, it's nothing new.

As comic geeks (at least some of the people here) we really should recognise that is why X-Men was, in better-written days, an appealing comic: we ourselves were often judged by external appearances, or by petty differences from the glorified 'norm', and many of us were happier not being like everyone else, even if we had fewer friends or less social life. Being identifiably the 'uncool kids' or the outcasts, the people who are fantastic but aren't usually given a chance, has been the raison d'être of the X-titles since their inception. Anyone in any sort of minority or ostracised group could identify with their situation, which gave them an appeal that kept readers holding on for even little victories.

So this really isn't a question. Mutants are human, otherwise they would be called something else entirely. On every level, it's ludicrous to debate. And frankly, as some others have pointed out, in the Marvel Universe even anti-mutant hysteria is rather nonsensical when you have exactly the same sort of superhuman powers shown by world celebrities like the Avengers and the Fantastic Four.

#33 Edited by INFINITE_DOOM (265 posts) - - Show Bio

Daaaaa fuuuu kind of question is this?? O.o

Do people with physical or metal disorders have any less rights than anybody else? No, these disorders are a result of mutations, I'm assuming mutants would fall under this umbrella they just have an extreme version of genetic mutations.

#34 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Edited by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

However, even if mutants had truly speciated, all sentient beings should be entitled the same rights we allow ourselves.

You had me up until this point. Shall we let dogs vote in elections too?

#36 Posted by munkieKONG (127 posts) - - Show Bio

Every "human" has countless "mutations" from whatever is considered the standard example of human. They just don't all result in wings or shooting beams from your eyes.

#37 Edited by w0nd (3426 posts) - - Show Bio

Should they have rights? Yes! if they existed would they have rights? that's an entirely different question. Judging by humanity I don't think so, after a few hundred years maybe.

Reading about them in comics being treated badly is getting a little silly now, they are hanging around with gods the f4, inhumans, yet when someone is born this way they flip their lids.

"OH MY GOD A MUTANT KILL IT, OH never mind, that's just the Thing, he wasn't born that way so it's fine"

It's absurd, it's like talking about "the negro problem" in this day and age. They should be done with the "we hate mutants" thing if stories like Alpha are being written in the same universe where that p.o.s. got rich and famous.

#38 Posted by Icon (2077 posts) - - Show Bio

Fun topic, although I agree the answer is obviously yes.

#39 Edited by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

They are more human than anything else. When I think of a mutant I think of deformed, sewer people not people with abilities and powers. And yes I like X-Men before Futurama.

I also find it funny that no Marvel writers were asked this question

#40 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course they do. Mutated humans but humans regardless. Only to a prejudiced fool would they be under the impression that mutants have no rights. Ones like Stryker or Senator Kelly would of course disagree. Anyway, good topic but were we really gonna have any of them come out and say "no"? lol

#41 Edited by fullmetaladam (50 posts) - - Show Bio

No they don't deserve human rights. They are "Super-human" so deserve Super-human rights.

#42 Posted by Ultra_beleco (184 posts) - - Show Bio
@w0nd said:

Should they have rights? Yes! if they existed would they have rights? that's an entirely different question. Judging by humanity I don't think so, after a few hundred years maybe.

Reading about them in comics being treated badly is getting a little silly now, they are hanging around with gods the f4, inhumans, yet when someone is born this way they flip their lids.

"OH MY GOD A MUTANT KILL IT, OH never mind, that's just the Thing, he wasn't born that way so it's fine"

It's absurd, it's like talking about "the negro problem" in this day and age. They should be done with the "we hate mutants" thing if stories like Alpha are being written in the same universe where that p.o.s. got rich and famous.

You have to understand that the time in marvel comics doesn't work the same way as in our world. Franklin richards has eight years since before I was born, and I'm 22.

What happened in a comic you read years ago, could easily have happened 2 months ago in the character's world.

#43 Posted by w0nd (3426 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

You have to understand that the time in marvel comics doesn't work the same way as in our world. Franklin richards has eight years since before I was born, and I'm 22.

What happened in a comic you read years ago, could easily have happened 2 months ago in the character's world.

it's not so much the time frame this all has happened in, it's the place that it's happening, a city with hulks, mutated humans, aliens, and Atlantisns, the public seems to have a problem with people born with these same abilities lol, it's ridiculous.

#44 Edited by Ultra_beleco (184 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd: Prejudice normally doesn't make sense dude. People simply fear what is uncommon, that the fact that humans born this ways, that means they will take over the world, Their neighbours, their children, they friends could be mutants.

If I know that the reason a "monster" exist is an accident of science I can be scared but I can understand but another complete different thing is understand that mutants are humans, but somehow enhanced, that they are not made by magic or laboratories, that they were not send by the devil.

So what are mutants? Next step of evolution? Are they going to kill us all? Are all of them dangerous? How can I know who is mutant and who is not?

People's fear doesn't came from the fact they have super powers but the fact they are different yet, they are as human as anyone else. =/

Tell me. In a world with terrorists, bandits, drug dealers, crazy politicians why would people fear homossexuals? or people from different races? different religions?

#45 Posted by LarryDavis (143 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, they don't, in our world, anyway.

The supreme court actually ruled on this, back when there was some sort of thing regarding import costs for the toys back in the day, requiring them to classify whether X-Men were "toys" (non-human) or "dolls" (human). They ended up being classified as "toys", and thus non-human.

#47 Edited by mark15 (72 posts) - - Show Bio

i love james tynion's answers on these things, everyone has like 5 words and he just ramble, love him

#48 Posted by 244 (496 posts) - - Show Bio

@phoenixofthetides:

The problem with mutants is that by exercising their abilities, they can easily ignore or encroach upon the rights of others. While they are all human, being able to change someone's mind, murder innocent life and damage property very easily makes it harder to act as if they're "just" human. Mutants never really had an advocate that promoted some form of governing body and established rules - the only characters that get attention are the extremists & vigilantes.

Not all mutants have special abilities. Some develop deformities.

So, yes.

Well yeah, mutants are the next step to human evolution.

#49 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the writers pretty much said mutants are suppose to be black people in the segregation days. There's some good black people, some bad black people, same with mutants.

#50 Edited by Annabelle_Godwinne (150 posts) - - Show Bio

By default, I would think so. Yes.