• 144 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Posted by G-Man (32633 posts) - - Show Bio

These days are the best and worst for comic book readers. There are so many quality titles that flood the shelves each week. There are so many different genres in comics that there can be something for everyone. It's rare that a trip to the comic store leaves you with no titles you'd be interested in.

Why would this be the worst time for readers? The fact that there is so much to read, along with the cost of comics makes it harder to read everything. Even if cost wasn't an issue, finding the time to read everything isn't always a possibility.

Despite there being so many high quality books available, not all of them are getting read. We tend to see the same characters and teams in multiple titles at the top of the sales lists. Despite all the praise and respect some indie titles get, why are comic readers refusing to read them?

== TEASER ==

The answer is pretty simple. Comic readers will often go with the safe purchase and buy what they know. That means they will usually buy Marvel and DC and overlook titles from independent publishers. If Marvel puts out another X-Men book or if DC publishes another Batman title, comic readers will buy it. If Image or Dynamite Entertainment launches a new title, readers will be more hesitant.

Looking at the sales rankings from January, the top ranking indie title was THE WALKING DEAD at number 59! FATALE by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips had a lot of buzz before the issue even went on sale and was at number 90.

Despite the success of the Walking Dead television show and the praise the title receives, that doesn't translate into sales. Of course, if you talk to anyone that does read THE WALKING DEAD, most will say they read the series in trades. That could account for some of the sales numbers.

Yet Brubaker and Phillips have a proven track record with their past series such as SLEEPER, CRIMINAL and INCOGNITO. Did the decision to publish FATALE at Image affect the sales or availability the comic would have?

DC Comics has moved to the top of the sales chart with the success of the "New 52." There's been a lot of talk and coverage of the relaunch of the titles and many have moved towards giving those titles a chance. Besides the relaunch and the idea of #1s and fresh starts, the DC books have familiar characters. That makes it feel safer for new readers to jump in. They might never have read an Aquaman comic but knowing who he is and that it's supposed to be new-reader friendly could give more incentive to buy the book.

The book everyone (especially here at Comic Vine) talks about is Scott Snyder's BATMAN. Snyder has quickly moved up to the list of great and respected comic book writers. Based on the sales estimates, BATMAN was the number two selling title and the numbers are close to those of the number one selling book (Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's JUSTICE LEAGUE). There is a bigger gap between BATMAN and the third top selling title.

With the recognition Synder now has, you would expect readers to automatically buy anything he's attached to. Unfortunately that isn't the case with SEVERED from Image written by Snyder and Scott Tuft. SEVERED is an great comic with amazing art by Attila Futaki but it doesn't appear to be on the radar of many.

I asked Scott Snyder his thoughts on why comic readers should buy indie titles:

The indie world is the place you're able to develop your voice, to push boundaries you might not be able to push (at first) in mainstream comics. So looking to indie comics to find new voices you're excited about is a wonderful thing. I discovered Josh Fialkov through his terrific work outside of Marvel or DC. Same with my best friend in comics, Jeff Lemire. Same with someone huge like Ed Brubaker. You find out what people are passionate about in their indie work and then you can see it carry into their mainstream work.

It's really about taking a chance. It's understandable that a new title such as THIEF OF THIEVES from Image might not sound like something you'd pick up blindly. Knowing that the story is by Robert Kirkman and it's written by Nick Spencer should be enough of a reason to pick up the comic. Will the book fly off the shelves? Unfortunately, the casual comic shopper might be lucky to find it on store shelves as many comic shops have to be conservative when placing orders for new series. Top creator names attached should be enough but the examples above show that isn't the case.

Consumers want what they know. They feel safer. If a comic has Spider-Man or Batman in it, they have an idea what they're going to get. Does every comic with Batman compare to what Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison writes? Not even close. But popular and familiar characters sell.

It's not even about the characters being "popular." BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER is now telling stories from the series' "Season Nine" at Dark Horse. Buffy managed to grab the number 65 slot. Everyone is familiar with Star Wars but STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC, also from Dark Horse, was at number 116. Dynamite Entertainment is constantly putting out titles with known characters such as Red Sonja, the Lone Ranger, Green Hornet and the Bionic Man. They even have a couple comics based on Voltron. IDW has the rights to franchises such as G.I. Joe, Transformers, Star Trek and Ghostbusters but you won't see those titles at the top of the charts either. Top Cow also has WITCHBLADE, which has passed its 150th issue but people are still hesitant to buy the comic.

It's no secret that I also love Marvel and DC Comics. The difference is, those aren't the only comics I buy and read. We're often asked why we don't focus more on independent comics around here and the sad truth is because it isn't always what people want to hear or talk about. It does have to start somewhere. We will continue to bring up indie books when possible. Consumers also have to do their part. Money speaks louder than words. We can give praise to the five-star level indie books but comic shoppers have to do their part as well.

My challenge to you today or this week or this month is to give some indie books a try. "Try something different." We see a lot of complaints that the Big Two are constantly putting out the same types of books or giving us event after event. We're not saying to abandoned those publishers, but why not try something new. If you take a chance, you might just discover your new favorite comic.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by wowylied (238 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

you should check out what zenescope comics has to offer. raven gregory writes some good stories while ebas 'n' at do some damn good artwork :-) http://www.zenescope.com

#3 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Month to month my usual tribute to something OTHER than the big two has been the rebooted G. I. Joe: A Real American Hero series by Larry Hama and S. L. Gallant. Come April I'm checking out The Shadow from Dynamite and am slowly but surely expanding my likes outward to others. I get Walking Dead in trades whenever they are available. Dark Horse I've ALWAYS been a fan of. And the list goes on. Indie comics we really do get to see some creativity come about and I will always love them for that, even if I'm still and always will be a Big Two fan above all. Hail to the indies, all!

#4 Posted by NightFang (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

The Indie comic companies need to get together and lunch one big ad campaign for all there comics.

#5 Posted by obscurefan (274 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

The Indie comic companies need to get together and lunch one big ad campaign for all there comics.

Not a bad idea.

#6 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (343 posts) - - Show Bio

I've enjoyed what I've seen so far in Avatar's new series 'Ferals'. Highly recommended!

#7 Posted by Hot_Karl (288 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my thing, this kind of stuff happens in the movie and especially the video game industry.

In Hollywood though, it really relies on word of mouth, strong reviews and an interesting marketing campaign, along with marketable content.

Games rely on that as well, but what's been really introducing me to new indie titles have been the Humble Bundles or the Indie Royale bundles. Basically, you pay what you want (or pay a certain price) and get a handful of games for much cheaper than the going rate online. Mostly, the bundles are to raise money for charitable causes, but wouldn't it be neat if some indie publishers did that with their titles? Maybe, let's say, like a publisher grabs a handful of comics (the more accessible, the better- probably not best to put in a 16th issue of a 20 issue run of a series), and put them in a bundle online. You pay whatever you want and get digital licenses for those titles without DRM. If you pay a certain amount and add shipping & handling costs, you'll get the physical issues shipped to your residence and access to the digital copies.

Maybe that's just me, but I think it'd be a cool way for people to get some great comics on the cheap, for publishers to get the word of mouth train rolling, and to show people that there is interest in the indie market.

#8 Posted by Nuec_Sol (188 posts) - - Show Bio

As a kid I favorites were X-Men, Hulk, and Captain America, but at the age of 28 I would say that most of the best comic stories I ever read were from indie titles. I also firmly believe that many the Big 2's writers best work are in indie titles, because they can create their own characters and worlds instead of reworking someone's else's creations under a company's supervision.

There are infinte stories to tell, and to find many of the great ones, you have to explore the indie realm.

#9 Posted by rupertbollinger (5 posts) - - Show Bio

do you like cats? if so an independent comic nobody should miss is brandon graham's king city. image is releasing the complete series towards the end of the month. the panel's are packed with detail and the irreverent humor utilized by graham should have you "loling" every time you turn the page. did i mention there are cats? http://www.imagecomics.com/comics/4580/

#10 Posted by lorex (954 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate to say this G-Man but you are part of the system that focuses most the attention onto the big publishers leaving the indies out in the cold in terms of press coverage and attention. Marvel or DC will announce their next big event, whatever it may be and shortly there are numerous articles on this website about that event and what that will mean for their respective universes. The indies cant match the hype machines DC and Marvel have available to them thus they get less attention. Also every Wednesday there will almost always be a review of a comic with Batman in it and another with Wolverine. The rest will mostly be reviews from other Marvel or DC comics with the occasional indie thrown in. Some might say the site is covering the titles the fans are most interested in. That may be true but how are we the fans that are not in the know suppost to find out about the good indie comics out there if the comic news site they go to does not prominently display that info. Generally I think the staff of Comic Vine does a good job but you need to spread your focus around more to the entire comic book industry.

#11 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio
@lorex Well said.
Moderator
#12 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

I love my indies! when i got my Ex to read, it was Buffy season 8. I got a handful of my friends into Invincible and Walking Dead. And i know a ton of girls who dont read comics, but have read Scott Pilgrim.

Indies need to do what the companies seem to refuse to do: make a movie EXACTLY like the first arch in the story. Like 90%. you do that, people like the movie, and at the end of the credits you start the next arch... and NEVER MAKE A SEQUEL. Say "this arch continues in issue 4 of the comic."

I really think that would work.

#13 Posted by daves_phat (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never read DC or Marvel in my life, they have never really interested me, plus I find the universes almost impenetrable, where do you start, it feels so frustrating to jump into the middle of something.

the Inde scene is incredible, I only started reading comics 2 years ago, (aged 22) and have read every walking dead, incredible, astounding wolf man, basically anything by kirkman plus others. i do this because firstly, they are brilliantly written, with themes and stories i do not believe you would get from Mavel or DC (feel free to correct me)

secondly they feel very easy to get into for the uninitiated, if i want to read the walking dead, i read the walking dead, i don't have to try to understand the difference between the amazing walking dead, ultimate walking dead, the walking dead 2099. a single continuity feels is great.

Now how to improve awareness, this is where i think that online distribution will greatly help, services like Comixology mean its easier to search for things. also a number of publishers and series offer the first edition free, meaning that you can read and understand if it is something you want to buy into risk free. as has been said in the article, independents are competing with highly established brands which people know, they feel safe, therefore to compete you have to minimise perceived risk for the consumer, issue 1 free is a great way to do this

#14 Posted by zennmaster (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The last few comics I really enjoyed reading were Pistolwhip and Dragon Puncher. Both of them I understand from my limited comic book knowledge are indie and both are a lovely delicious read.

#15 Posted by Michiel76 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Well in my case i grew up with just marvel. Where i live there was nothing else for a looong time. And i just stuck with it. it's more like a soap that you sometimes hate but you still want to know what happens next.

Plus budget is a very limiting factor, not only do i buy american comics i also buy european ones which are far more expensive.

The reason i don't pick up Severed is because it doesn't appeal to me, it sounds like it's a horror story which i'm not that into. I do read TWD, i don't consider that horror at all. I'm sure i'm missing out on great stories but on the other hand i'm also enjoying the comics that i do read. And my budget only lets me read so much.

#16 Posted by VanAce (139 posts) - - Show Bio

I will be definitely be picking up Saga by Image in March. Looking forward to BKV's return to comics.

The other titles I am reading from the independents are IDW's Godzilla stuff as well as Steed and Mrs Peel (written by Grant Morrison) by BOOM! (although it is reprinted from a UK publisher) as well as the Walking Dead and Chew in trade.

Indie titles sell well in trade instead of singles due to the lack of people know much about them and once the word gets out it is too hard tracking down the earlier issues.

#17 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Comixology is a great way to try new titles from indie publishers :D

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio
@obscurefan said:

@NightFang said:

The Indie comic companies need to get together and lunch one big ad campaign for all there comics.

Not a bad idea.

I like this idea, like a joint venture between Image, BOOM and IDW or something. 
 
Also I have noticed that a problem with Indi comics is that a lot of them don't have great jumping on points and that's not good for some one who comes in late in the game and will usually result in Trade waiting.  I think Dynamite has the right idea to combat this. To drum up some exposure for there Kirby Genisis series they gave away their first five issues for free, I mean who doesn't love free comics right? Why not give away the first arc to say the Walking Dead or Invincible to get the ball rolling and it also gives the reader an idea of what the series is like and whether they will like it or nor. 
#19 Posted by Billy Batson (57957 posts) - - Show Bio

you didn't mention vertigo :(

BB

#20 Posted by satanmode (295 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorex said:

Hate to say this G-Man but you are part of the system that focuses most the attention onto the big publishers leaving the indies out in the cold in terms of press coverage and attention. Marvel or DC will announce their next big event, whatever it may be and shortly there are numerous articles on this website about that event and what that will mean for their respective universes. The indies cant match the hype machines DC and Marvel have available to them thus they get less attention. Also every Wednesday there will almost always be a review of a comic with Batman in it and another with Wolverine. The rest will mostly be reviews from other Marvel or DC comics with the occasional indie thrown in. Some might say the site is covering the titles the fans are most interested in. That may be true but how are we the fans that are not in the know suppost to find out about the good indie comics out there if the comic news site they go to does not prominently display that info. Generally I think the staff of Comic Vine does a good job but you need to spread your focus around more to the entire comic book industry.

I completely agree with Lorex.

G-Man, I understand that it's necessary to cover what's most popular, but if you want to have more articles on CV about Indie Comics, write more articles. It's as simple as that. You have a keyboard, you have a soapbox, you have an audience. Laud them, criticize them, whatever; bring attention to them by talking about them. Your article is one step in the right direction. I hope to see more like this.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

you didn't mention vertigo :(

BB

I thought they would have mentioned American Vampire when they where talking about Snyder 
#22 Posted by G-Man (32633 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: I debated mentioning Vertigo. Being part of DC sort of doesn't make them 'indie.' I think I tried making that comparison before and people flipped out. But many of the same applies to them. Vertigo books aren't at the top of the list either and Vertigo pretty much means it's going to be a kick ass story.

Staff Online
#23 Edited by Xenozoic Shaman (410 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, it feels like CV doesn't put that many indie comic articles on the front page. If I was exposed to more articles on them, I'd know what to buy.

#24 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Really?

I want to see more indie stuff. I would like to see more articles pertaining to webcomics(which are basically indie given how little they're mentioned on here) and the innovations they're making and what the opinions on said innovations are. You do that "Off their Mind" thing, so why not ask some normal comic guys what they think about what webcomics are doing?

I know I seem like I keep hammering in this whole, "talk about webcomics" thing, but I only do because it's interesting stuff that's being outright ignored for no good reason. They're free to read, they're really different from the norm, and most importantly they do have fanbases that could be attracted to the site if you actually took the time to talk about them.

#25 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Buffy Season 9 is awesome! Angel and Faith make a great addition to the development of that universe and I want more (perhaps Spike xD). I love Indy books and I do my best at sharing that love any chance I get, on the podcast I'm on I make sure to review a hand full Indy books every week because there are some really great stories being that are just being overlooked

#26 Posted by jloneblackheart (5507 posts) - - Show Bio

I currently read 15 titles.

Marvel - 3
DC - 5
Other - 7

This shocks me because I'm a Marvel guy. Image and Dynamite really do put out some good stuff. Planning on getting Glory when it's released.

I think more indie publishers should put out $1 first issues. I bet I'd get into more.

Moderator
#27 Posted by Watcherg6 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if I'd call Image Indie, or Dark Horse, they;ve both lasted quite awhile.

maybe Harvey comics, or Malibu, or continuity.

#28 Posted by Sammo21 (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe stuff like this needs to work out some sort of co-marketing deal with MARVEL or DC to get the buzz going?

#29 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@G-Man said:

@Billy Batson: I debated mentioning Vertigo. Being part of DC sort of doesn't make them 'indie.' I think I tried making that comparison before and people flipped out. But many of the same applies to them. Vertigo books aren't at the top of the list either and Vertigo pretty much means it's going to be a kick ass story.

Vertigo should definitely qualify as indie, maybe not the Vertigo of the past but the current Vertigo (barring Hellblazer) is entirely creator-owned material since Didio, Johns and Lee came into power so it's just as 'independent' as any other company

on topic though, I think the lower sales of these "indie" comics can't be blamed on lack of information about them, marketing or no fans ready to talk about them...the blame lies entirely on the readers lacking the attention span to look things up, you can find a forum or database about pretty much any comic ever on the Internet, I think the idea of going to the comic store completely uninformed is ridiculous and should be a thing of the past, you can very easily know what your options are going to be before you go in and make educated guesses beforehand

Moderator
#30 Posted by Frobin (96 posts) - - Show Bio

True! It's often hard for Indie books ... and even if they're really great, the average or lame title of DC or Marvel sells more copies.

I agree, but what I miss a bit in this article is the differentiation of genres. DC and Marvel most of all stand for and publish superhero comic books ... a genre that is very special and popular ... many readers are just not interested in other comic books. Many indie books are no superhero comic books ... amazing stories, but not really superhero style. If they are ... they often sell well ... though even then they sell less than the major titles of DC & Marvel: for example the awesome books of Image/Wildstorm in the 90s ... especially I think of The Authority (but also WildC.A.T.s, Cyberforce, Gen13, DV8) ... didn't sell so well ... but has been groundbreaking to me.

But

And of course you're right when it comes to explore new or good writers ... and even artists.

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart said:
I currently read 15 titles. Marvel - 3 DC - 5 Other - 7 This shocks me because I'm a Marvel guy. Image and Dynamite really do put out some good stuff. Planning on getting Glory when it's released. I think more indie publishers should put out $1 first issues. I bet I'd get into more.
I agree with this, Lord of the Jungle #1 by Dynamite was 72 in the top selling comics in January that makes it the second highest selling indi book after the Walking Dead and I suspect it's that high because it was only $1, it's a great way to get people drawn to the book then to get them to stick with the great story telling.
#32 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@lorex said:

Hate to say this G-Man but you are part of the system that focuses most the attention onto the big publishers leaving the indies out in the cold in terms of press coverage and attention. Marvel or DC will announce their next big event, whatever it may be and shortly there are numerous articles on this website about that event and what that will mean for their respective universes. The indies cant match the hype machines DC and Marvel have available to them thus they get less attention. Also every Wednesday there will almost always be a review of a comic with Batman in it and another with Wolverine. The rest will mostly be reviews from other Marvel or DC comics with the occasional indie thrown in. Some might say the site is covering the titles the fans are most interested in. That may be true but how are we the fans that are not in the know suppost to find out about the good indie comics out there if the comic news site they go to does not prominently display that info. Generally I think the staff of Comic Vine does a good job but you need to spread your focus around more to the entire comic book industry.

This is very, very true.

Granted, I've branched out and discovered wonderful indie titles, some on my own and some through awesome people I have met here, but if there were a little more focus on them in tandem with mainstream comics through staff reviews, etc, it would be a tremendous boon. These companies don't have the monster marketing machine behind them like DC and Marvel, Kudos to G-Man for writing this article and bringing the issues forward - yet at the same time, I really, really hope he (and others like him) write reviews and place some spotlight in tandem with other, more recognized books . I know its been done, several times before (thanks Babs for my Lady Mechanika!), but maybe on a weekly basis?

Great article G-Man, thanks!

#33 Posted by cjc1303 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel that independent books are at the top of my lists in the best books I read each week. Walking Dead and Invincible are outstanding books. Invincible puts almost all of the Marvel and DC titles to shame and its claim at being the best superhero book is pretty damn true. But there are so many indies that get no love from readers that are outstanding. One of my favorites is The Strange Talent of Luther Strode, that book is pure magic. If you haven't read that book pick it up because it won't disappoint. The sad reality though is that a lot of readers are not so open minded and will stick to the big two. I personally am currently reading just DC and indies because Marel continually disappoints me. In the end readers need to give more indies a chance because one they are awesome books and two your supporting the creators and not a big corporation who is out to make money and not put out quality that we readers deserve for our money.

#34 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio
@cjc1303 said:
I feel that independent books are at the top of my lists in the best books I read each week. Walking Dead and Invincible are outstanding books. Invincible puts almost all of the Marvel and DC titles to shame and its claim at being the best superhero book is pretty damn true. But there are so many indies that get no love from readers that are outstanding. One of my favorites is The Strange Talent of Luther Strode, that book is pure magic. If you haven't read that book pick it up because it won't disappoint. The sad reality though is that a lot of readers are not so open minded and will stick to the big two. I personally am currently reading just DC and indies because Marel continually disappoints me. In the end readers need to give more indies a chance because one they are awesome books and two your supporting the creators and not a big corporation who is out to make money and not put out quality that we readers deserve for our money.
Yea I know it's a stretch but there are hardcore DC/Marvel fans out there that wont read anything but one or the other but what I was thinking is why not check out more Vertigo or Icon? Vertigo being DC's creator owned company and Icon being Marvels, both have produced some amazing books that more people should be giving love.
#35 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

Image should buy a thirty second spot during the Walking Dead and advertise their publications (or comics in general), it is an very popular show and I bet their sales will benefit.

It seems that the problem is that most indie titles are bought in trade. At places like Barnes and Noble and even the comic shop I go to there are tons of trades for Witchblade,Star Wars, Invincible and the like but the single issues are dominated by Marl and DC which is a shame because Invincible and Irredeemable are two of the best books I read

#36 Edited by etragedy (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I'm glad to see that ComicVine has an article about indie comics. 

BUT, consider this, Tony, in this article you are exhorting us to read more indie comics... but what percentage of articles here on CV have you written about indie comics vs. Marvel or DC (or superhero articles in general that only mention Marvel or DC characters?
 
So my challenge to you is - if you want us to read more indie comics... write more articles about them!
 
EDIT: I just scrolled down and saw stanmode and lorex saying virtually the same thing, LOL. I'm in complete agreement with you guys!

#37 Edited by cjc1303 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 I completely agree with you. American Vampire from Vertigo is awesome it just solidifies Snyder even more as an awesome writer. I can't forget Kick-Ass from Icon that book is outstanding. It is weird that the hardcore big two readers don't think about those creator owned books through their companies. Also forgive if this does not tag you spiderbat I'm on my phone and it isn't as good as the laptop

#38 Edited by NightFang (9985 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe if indie comics crossover more with the mainstream ones, they'd get more press.

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio
@etragedy said:
Well, I'm glad to see that ComicVine has an article about indie comics. 

BUT, consider this, Tony, in this article you are exhorting us to read more indie comics... but what percentage of articles here on CV have you written about indie comics vs. Marvel or DC (or superhero articles in general that only mention Marvel or DC characters?
 
So my challenge to you is - if you want us to read more indie comics... write more articles about them!  EDIT: I just scrolled down and saw stanmode and lorex saying virtually the same thing, LOL. I'm in complete agreement with you guys!
Maybe like a weekly Indis only segment to coincide with the other articles? 
#40 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xenozoic Shaman said:

To be honest, it feels like CV doesn't put that many indie comic articles on the front page. If I was exposed to more articles on them, I'd know what to buy.

@etragedy said:

Well, I'm glad to see that ComicVine has an article about indie comics.

BUT, consider this, Tony, in this article you are exhorting us to read more indie comics... but what percentage of articles here on CV have you written about indie comics vs. Marvel or DC (or superhero articles in general that only mention Marvel or DC characters?

This is the thing, I feel when we do write an article about indy books (which I do a lot. I usually try to include at least two indy reviews in my review list as well), it gets passed over and people usually don't care. I feel like we do a decent job of giving you guys big indy news and editorials about the world of indy books, minus webcomics, which we've never touched, but when it comes down to it, most people just gloss them over... it's a bummer.

I still plan on writing them though.

Staff
#41 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

@Xenozoic Shaman said:

To be honest, it feels like CV doesn't put that many indie comic articles on the front page. If I was exposed to more articles on them, I'd know what to buy.

@etragedy said:

Well, I'm glad to see that ComicVine has an article about indie comics.

BUT, consider this, Tony, in this article you are exhorting us to read more indie comics... but what percentage of articles here on CV have you written about indie comics vs. Marvel or DC (or superhero articles in general that only mention Marvel or DC characters?

This is the thing, I feel when we do write an article about indy books (which I do a lot. I usually try to include at least two indy reviews in my review list as well), it gets passed over and people usually don't care. I feel like we do a decent job of giving you guys big indy news and editorials about the world of indy books, minus webcomics, which we've never touched, but when it comes down to it, most people just gloss them over... it's a bummer.

I still plan on writing them though.

*Shakes fists*

#42 Posted by jloneblackheart (5507 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87
@jloneblackheart said:
I currently read 15 titles. Marvel - 3 DC - 5 Other - 7 This shocks me because I'm a Marvel guy. Image and Dynamite really do put out some good stuff. Planning on getting Glory when it's released. I think more indie publishers should put out $1 first issues. I bet I'd get into more.
I agree with this, Lord of the Jungle #1 by Dynamite was 72 in the top selling comics in January that makes it the second highest selling indi book after the Walking Dead and I suspect it's that high because it was only $1, it's a great way to get people drawn to the book then to get them to stick with the great story telling.
Thanks for reminding me about that. I was going to pick that up but it was SOLD OUT. Its such a good marketing move.

I'll check today and hopefully they got some more in.
Moderator
#43 Posted by Turkeysammich (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I can only speak for myself, but I believe it applies to a lot of people.

I have maybe $15-20 a week I can afford to spend on comics. Every week I have to decide between a great number of titles I want to read. As comic book prices increase(it feels most marvel titles are $4 now), this means I can usually only buy about 4 to 5 books a week.

There are also certain titles/characters I have a personal investment in for years(like the x-men). As such, I usually grab titles relating to those characters first. These two factors combined make it really difficult to buy indie titles(and even some smaller titles from DC/Marvel) regularly. I read Walking Dead, Invincible, Witchblade, etc. but usually in trade and, even then, I'm really far behind on them.

#44 Posted by Tmul501 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

I would really like to get into more indie comics, but I'm having trouble keeping my books from the big two under control. I've been reading the Walking Dead, but I'd really like to get into invincible. I also think I'm going to start picking up the Adventure Time book because I love that show.

#45 Posted by BatClaw89 (144 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a DC Fanboy and I am not afraid to admit it.

#46 Posted by Renchamp (2362 posts) - - Show Bio

In this vein, I bought my first Image comic after reading Babs's review of Thought Bubble. It is the only non-Marvel comic I own.

Moderator
#47 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio
@cjc1303 said:
@spiderbat87 I completely agree with you. American Vampire from Vertigo is awesome it just solidifies Snyder even more as an awesome writer. I can't forget Kick-Ass from Icon that book is outstanding. It is weird that the hardcore big two readers don't think about those creator owned books through their companies. Also forgive if this does not tag you spiderbat I'm on my phone and it isn't as good as the laptop
Yea there's plenty at Vertigo that needs checking out, the big ones that every comic book fan should read like The Sandman, Y:The Last Man, Fables, Swamp Thing ect and the ones less talked about like 100 Bullets, I Zombie, Books of Magic and Heavy Liquid. Icon to has got it's fair share of quality like Scarlet, Criminal, Incognito, Power ect. I think Marvel do a really poor job of advertising Icon Comics. 
#48 Posted by rouder (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Image, IDW and so on are an alternative to more mainstream DC/Marvel, but none of them are indie.

Indie comic book is the one produced by your local scene or the fanzine you put out with friends and can be bought in your local comic book shop. Image, IDW and so on have deals with a whole chain of other companies and have to obey the rules that come out of those deals, hence they're not independent.

Calling The Walking Dead, a title that is on six places out of ten on the list of the best selling trades for 2011, indie or aletenative comic book is absolutely ridiculous

#49 Posted by LordRequiem (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought some more issues of Spawn: Godslayer yesterday. Unfortunate that it only ran for eight issues and was cancelled due to low sales, it was really well done.

#50 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio
@rouder said:

Image, IDW and so on are an alternative to more mainstream DC/Marvel, but none of them are indie.

Indie comic book is the one produced by your local scene or the fanzine you put out with friends and can be bought in your local comic book shop. Image, IDW and so on have deals with a whole chain of other companies and have to obey the rules that come out of those deals, hence they're not independent.

Calling The Walking Dead, a title that is on six places out of ten on the list of the best selling trades for 2011, indie or aletenative comic book is absolutely ridiculous

When people say Indi they mean creator owned 
 
@jloneblackheart said:
@spiderbat87
@jloneblackheart said:
I currently read 15 titles. Marvel - 3 DC - 5 Other - 7 This shocks me because I'm a Marvel guy. Image and Dynamite really do put out some good stuff. Planning on getting Glory when it's released. I think more indie publishers should put out $1 first issues. I bet I'd get into more.
I agree with this, Lord of the Jungle #1 by Dynamite was 72 in the top selling comics in January that makes it the second highest selling indi book after the Walking Dead and I suspect it's that high because it was only $1, it's a great way to get people drawn to the book then to get them to stick with the great story telling.
Thanks for reminding me about that. I was going to pick that up but it was SOLD OUT. Its such a good marketing move. I'll check today and hopefully they got some more in.
Sold Out? That's awsome. I got mine on Comicology. 
 
@BatClaw89 said:

I'm a DC Fanboy and I am not afraid to admit it.

Well sure that's fine but why not check out Vertigo? It's still DC.