Off My Mind: What If There Was Only One Comic Universe?

• 78 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
I like seeing a comic crossover, as long as it's well written. It has to make sense. We don't often see inter-company crossovers these days. Let's imagine that we could see more. What if all comic book characters existed in one single universe, sort of like they do here on Comic Vine? 

Again, the key to a good crossover is the story. It has to feel natural. A couple of Top Cow/Marvel crossover comics from a couple years back come to mind. Those were written where it just felt like the characters existed in the same universe. There have been other crossovers in the past that just felt gimmicky. They felt too forced. 

Would allowing characters to cross their boundaries and interact with other characters be a cool thing or would it get old quickly? Would we get great stories or just flashy crossovers with "popular" characters appearing in even more books?
 == TEASER ==
Imagine Superman teaming up with Captain America. What would it be like to see Spider-Man and Red Robin fighting crime together? What if Norman Osborn and Lex Luthor joined forces? What kind of mischief could Catwoman and Black Cat get into? Even though we have seen lots of crossovers in the past, there are still more that would be interesting to see.

No Caption Provided
I do wonder if things would get too crowded if they all existed in the same universe. Would there be any room for the villains or heroes to operate with that many characters in existence? At least DC has some fictional cities like Gotham, Metropolis, Star City, etc so we wouldn't have to worry about all the characters being in Manhattan.

Another thing to consider would be the inevitable "big events." It already seems as if you have to buy several comics in order to get the complete story these days. With all the characters existing in the same universe, the event crossovers could get insane.

Clearly there would be pros and cons to having all the different characters in the same universe. If managed properly, it could open the doors to even more great stories. Too often we simply see the same heroes fighting the same villains. This way we could see more of a mix up. Heroes fighting battles that we haven't already seen hundreds of times. This may all be just a dream but I think it could add some spice to the same old match ups that happen time and time again. 

What heroes or villains would you like to see together? Would one comic universe be cool or would it just be too crazy?
darkxman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By darkxman123

i dont know i mean it could be cool but i like batman far from anything marvel and vica versea with spidey

BaronVonDredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BaronVonDredd

It might be a little too crowded, but still very cool.

Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

I have an idea for a story that would end with the universes together as one 

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gmanfromheck

There's the chance of things getting crowded but look how often the X-Men can keep to themselves. I was surprised that the Avengers and FF even showed up. It's not like all the DC heroes bump into Batman all the time (except when he's in the JLA books).

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By johnny_spam
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NightFang3
@johnny spam: That's what I was thinking of.
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck
@johnny spam: But what if ALL actual characters existed together. Even Archie and Jughead (yes I know we had the Archie/Punisher crossover). What if every single character existed together?
Av0ndale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Av0ndale

Ehhh, DC's dudes are so over powered compared to most of Marvels that Marvel wouldn't get to beat up any bad guys. Maybe...haha. Either way, it would be cool to have some sort of Marvel/DC "ultimate" universe.

punkelias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By punkelias

I think it would be really crowded and (as many) crossovers it might feel forced

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Magian
@johnny spam:
That's true. A lot of companies have characters based on DC and Marvel's. But it would be a little crowded.
johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By johnny_spam
@G-Man: Then League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Even if Alan Moore does not have permission.  

It has everyone hidden in it from Mr. Hyde to James Bond to Batman to Andy Griffin. 
DarkShinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarkShinobi

Ever been on a Subway during rush hour? Yeah...kinda like that.

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Icemizer

There would be so many cool characters pushed into the back never to be seen again it would be very sad. Having Batman and Wolverine on every team would be great though!(sarcasm)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 123422

that'll just be too crowded to make any sense

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Manchine

Batman going to Reed would be funny.  Of course we could see stuff like Thunderbolts vs JSA.  It would make it interesting though.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16  Edited By Decept-O

@G-Man:  I know you are talking about all comic universes, G-Man, but I know there are some diehard Marvel "zombies" and DC fanboys who'd hate the idea of "their" respective characters and universes being together as one.   

I know you and several others have complained about too many villains and characters in some comic book movies.  Well, doesn't that same concept apply here but amplified a million-fold?
punisher1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By punisher1313

Me and my friends actually have role played a world where they all exist many times and its not that bad, it only gets complicated when there is a "Crisis".
Could you imagine what "Civil War" or "Blackest Night" would have been like with both worlds as one?

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#18  Edited By HaloKing343

The daredevil sort of smaller universe mixed with the batman smaller universe.
logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By logan48227

It would be extremely crowded & even harder to make it work in a world that is supposed to resemble our own. Disasters like Hurricane Katrina and acts of terrorism like 9/11 are already hard to reconcile with any world with superheroes. Having triple the number of superhumans would make it impossible to have it make sense.  

How do so many people die when you've got the combined might & intelligence of the Fantastic Four, the Authority, WildCATS, the X-Men, the Avengers, & the JLA? 

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brenderous

Marvel and DC should do more crossovers.

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DarkSyde79

It'd be a freakin' disaster!!! The heroes of the various universes have enough problems with the villains and general circumstances they deal with. You know what they say about too many cooks in the kitchen. Plus eventually the wrong combination of villains would get together and create some kinda disaster. From a DC POV, we saw what might happen if Lex Luther got a power ring. Now imagine if he you gave one to any of the characters from the other companies. And tha's only one example... BUT since villains make the stories, it would be a definite nonstop page turner. 

SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SupremoMaximo

They should just merge them all for amalgam again and that will be our new universe.. IRON LANTERN FTW!!

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By KRYPTON

It could be good if the story is well written. Seeing Deadpool and Damian Wayne together in one comic could be cool. However, what about the Marvel and Dc heroes that like to kill their enemies? Would Batman approve of Punisher killing one of his villains? So if all heroes had the same motive yes. But, since not all of them have the "no killing rule" it could create a conflict between great heroes. So yes and no it is great to have all characters in one area.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dondasch

I think it would be a fantastic idea.  The hilarity of say, Power Girl meeting Deadpool would be classic.  Wade would be dead in less than 10 seconds because of his mouth LOL !

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kid_Zombie
@darkxman123 said:
" i dont know i mean it could be cool but i like batman far from anything marvel and vica versea with spidey "
I like batman far from DC as well. he should be his own universe all together, i hate seeing batman on justice leauge just cuz he doesn't fit with the god like old school heroes of dc

I think it would be way to overcrowded  if they were all together
The Mango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The Mango

It would get old.

Hell I think Marvel mutants should have their own separate universe sometimes since they often don't mesh well with the rest of the Marvel U.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By goldenkey

I don't know if the stories would seem like there were to many people.  The center story would just have differant main characters that it usually has, and some the characters that are the main ones would be secondary do the crowdedness.  Marvel had Civil War and Dark Reign were the pretty much the whole Marvel U was conserned, but the best use of a whole comic U was Infinite Crisis.  They used EVERYBODY but split it up sectionally very well.  The Rann-Thanagar war took care of a lot characters and a lot of the cosmic guys.   Rock of ages took care of magic.  Aquaman had his thing, Villians united dealt with...well....the villians, and Infinite Crisis had the majors with some of the secondary involved.  It was broken up soooooo well.

That I think Crisis would be the blueprint on how to deal with it without getting to congested.  If they were all together it would just mean 2 year cross-overs and some of majors would change.  The question would be "Who would the majors be?"  Would it be something like Superman, Ironman, Captain America, Wonderwoman, Hyperion, Sarah Pezzini, Wolverine, etc..  Who would be sidelined?  Who whould step up.  I think in the influx of male charaters you might see a larger emgergance of some women charaters like Supergirl and Powergirl just to balance things out.  You might see someone like Martian Manhunter or Thor take a lesser role.  Who would the major bad guy be.  Would Lex Luthor be the number one baddy or would it be Doctor Doom?  It's a strange situation if you thought about it.  Who would you like to see fight each other now that Amalagam is close to something like 15 years old.  I forgot about the other Uinverses too.  How do fit in Spawn and The Darkness?  Or Vampirella?  To buku to buku

dirtymik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dirtymik

A whole bunch of characters on both sides would probably get killed off. Just to reduce clutter and open the doors to potential new villains and character returns.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By sora_thekey

Honestly I would love to see a Fables/Marvel crossover...
If they were all in the same universe Spider-Man could help Bigby with cases... Darkness and Moon Knight could face off. Archie could start dating Mary Jane and Garfield would get along with Catwoman!

Yep a little crowded... although if characters would get out of New York once in a while and travel to other cities and countries it wouldn't feel so crowded since it is a really big world!

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By blade hunter
@G-Man said:
" @johnny spam: But what if ALL actual characters existed together. Even Archie and Jughead (yes I know we had the Archie/Punisher crossover). What if every single character existed together? "
What about something like Amalgam comics again?
Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By Supreme Marvel
Vertigo would be good, less confusion. However I would prefer DC's New Earth universe. :D
Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Joe Venom

Not to big on crossovers as G-man said I too feel that they often forced, characters seem to be pushed to cooler then the character on the previous page even if it means going out of character. 

I prefer matches between Hero vs Hero or Villain vs Villain, but if I had to choose a crossover match I would have to say, Red Robin vs Daken

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

If there was one universe then Superman would be crashing into Captain America. And Spider-man will swing into the Bat mobile. 

rlmay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By rlmay3

I was thinking about this the other day. it would be MAAAD crowded. Haha, Awesome, but crowded.

I was also wondering, does anyone think we'll ever see one of the crossover or amalgam series made into a film of some kind, (straight to DVD or otherwise)??

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#35  Edited By Aspenite

I don´t think that this would be a good idea...way too crowded!!!

RedGhostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RedGhostman

It's too over-crowded as it is with them separate. I was barely able to follow Blackest Night, because I don't read DC as often as Marvel and I shouldn't have to purchase the other Blackest Night spinoffs in order to get the full story. 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By InnerVenom123

All comics combined into one universe???? Wow, that would be something.... like, seriously. The events would be freaking CRAZY.

RedHurricane24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#38  Edited By RedHurricane24

I dunno. As much as I want that to happen, it's with that same intent that I don't want it to happen. Case in point, Final Crisis. Morrison pulled out everybody out of the woodwork, even Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew for Pete's sake!

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By blueninjapanther

I want to see Black Panther and Batman together.
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#40  Edited By The Impersonator

it's too crazy
NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NexusOfLight

I don't think it would be overcrowded. The world is a big place. Different people cover different scopes. Sure, if everyone decided to live in New York, then yeah that might get ridiculous, but even if everything comic wise happened in the same universe in America, the size wouldn't be a problem. Top Cow tends to the low street level stuff with Hunter Killer, Cyberforce, and Darkness.Marvel tends to the upper street level stuff with Heroes for Hire, and the vigilantes goin' about. DC has higher powered characters, but also higher powered enemies, so the the Justice League would have their space station watching out for earth. Now that's all very rough, but if there was only one universe, then that's how I see it'd happen. 

Then we throw in the rest of the universe, Guardians of the Galaxy and the Lantern Corp might bump into each other on a few occasions, but not much. In all honesty, the Lantern Corp might just consume the Guardians. Maybe something like a branch off of them, same with the Nova Corp. 

As for the stories themselves, there seems to be a general theory going around that Marvel writes one way and DC writes another way. Not true at all. The writers write whatever way they write. It doesn't vary on the company. That's why you see different writers and artists doing projects for both companies.

CrowRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By CrowRider

I really really wish they d do a DC vs Marvel II...I have a list who vs who I d like to see.. superheroes with similiar powers against each other....wow. I d really like to c deadpool vs deathstroke especially.i felt the original DC vs Marvel was kinda rushed. wish they d make a video game like that for sure....

Lucky Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lucky Arrow

I think it would be crowded but then on the other hand it would be cool, to see all the villains    working together. Like what if the Joker was with Green Gobbin (Dont know if that would work) if it was done right I would like to read that in a comic book.
Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Pizawle

Would be ridiculous, me thinks.

Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

Does anyone here remember that there have been examples of DC and Marvel characters sharing a universe together? Here are some examples:

No Caption Provided
  1) Superman vs. Spider-Man

No Caption Provided
  2) Batman vs. Hulk

No Caption Provided
3) (New) Teen Titans and X-Men

Sure things would be exciting than ever (for example: If DC had Marvel's Civil War it would like KINGDOME COME all over again), but sometimes things are meant to be separate.

Also here is a crossover that seemed interesting at the time (if you were a child):
PR Turbo vs. Beetleborgs
PR Turbo vs. Beetleborgs
  Power Rangers Turbo vs. Beetleborgs Metallix
rasx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By rasx

You're right the TOPCOW/MARVEL crossovers was really good. I liked how Ironman mentioned Wolverine and Ripclaw's meeting each other in Fusion#1, in reference to the X-MEN/CYBERFORCE crossover. 

RiceFox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RiceFox

I read the Savage Dragon/Hellboy crossover. It seemed well put together, even though Hellboy didn't get to do much, but it wasn't his book, so... I dunno, it was cool.

NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NexusOfLight
@aztek the lost: I could go for that.