Off My Mind: What Happens When Superheroes Get Sick?

• 62 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided
Lately it's felt like everyone around me has been sick. If we not feeling well, we can take a sick day and our jobs will survive without us. But what do superheroes do? We know that most heroes don't get paid for doing their heroic duties. That means they don't have a good health plan unless they happen to be lucky enough to be on a superhero team that provides one. For the lone superhero, they really need to have a game plan for when those pesky colds sneak up on them. 

The good thing for a lot of heroes is it seems like practically everyone has some sort of healing factor these days. I used to never think of Spider-Man having one but with the beatings he takes, he always manages to quickly recover from his scrapes and bruises.  

Sometimes getting a cold or the flu can be more intense. Heroes usually have a patrol route they take to keep crime off the streets. If they end up home sick in bed, who covers their territory? Because heroes are so noble and giving, I can't see them simply staying home in bed and neglecting their duties. Should a hero ignore their symptoms and continue fighting crime the best they can? 
 == TEASER == 
No Caption Provided
Being sick can cause havoc with a hero's powers. If they're not performing at their best, they could endanger their lives or those of others (did you know Spider-Man was sick in the issue that Gwen Stacy died?). If a hero relies on other items besides superpowers to fight crime, there could be the dangers of trying to operate heavy machinery if they're taking medication. Would Iron Man be able to perform adequately in his suit if he was taking heavy doses of cold medicine? 

What about sneezing? Besides spreading super-germs to others, sneezing could cause major problems for those that wear masks or head coverings. If Spider-Man was swinging through the city and sneezed while wearing his mask, it'd be pretty nasty. 

No Caption Provided
Heroes need to develop some sort of buddy system. If they're not part of a team, they need to seek out other lone heroes and make a plan to cover for each other should one of them get sick. The other hero could cover their territory and deal with their foes while the sick hero  recuperates at home. At the very least, they could deliver chicken soup and a tall glass of orange juice to them.

Being sick is not a fun thing. If a hero doesn't take care of his or herself, they won't be of much help when civilians need protecting. Heroes are committed and dedicated to saving lives but they can't do it at the risk of their own health. Putting off treatment will only put them out of the game longer which simply means the innocents will not be protected as they should. Maybe someone needs to come up with a universal health care system for superheroes (and perhaps Night Nurse could help out as well since she's not doing anything else these days).
TheRyanHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TheRyanHimself

Not to sound gross or anything, but what about diarrhea? I mean, who wants to web swing around a city with a heinous case of the BG's (Bubbly guts)? I say Nay! Sometimes a day off is needed.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Shadow_Thief

On the other hand, many criminals might think twice about fighting you if you've obviously got something contagious. ;)

SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SupremoMaximo

I honestly think the heroes with enhanced powers should be immune to common colds and viruses.  Spider Man, Capn America, Superman should never get sick.  I would think Batman would have trained himself never to get sick. 

Now for the guys who don't have that health factor or batman immune system, I would think it's about networking.  You honestly need to have someone you trust that is in that position to take care of you if you do in fact get sick.  And if you have to take a sick day, take a sick day.  If you think that the city is not safe if you're not traipsing about it in your spandex, you have no clue.  Sure being on patrol helps.  But even cops can't stop all the crime.   

Besides, Spider Man looks like a douche laying in the hospital bed like that. 

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tonis

lol, good question when you consider the universal super-hero health plans required to insure everything :) 

My guess is, a good hero knows when they're more a liability than an asset and avoid getting the rest down with the same super-mutated bugs.

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Out_of_Space

mhm, good question.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Pokeysteve

With prep Batman beats all virus' and diseases. 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By JonesDeini

LMAO where do you come up with some of this stuff, G-Man. Interesting piece, though. I suppose it works sort of like in Shed/Grim Hunt when Spidey still had to go toe to toe with Lizard/The Kraven clan despite his flu. 

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Skaddix

the avengers have an excellent healthcare plan they get full gov benefits.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By leokearon

Well there is the Night Nurse or if you are a friend of Spidey's; Aunt May.
dorsk188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dorsk188

I suspect that in a super-hero universe, you'd consider yourself lucky if you can avoid any illness that is:  

1. Cancer or AIDS or another "topical" disease that will kill you (and you'll stay dead because your death was powerful.) 
  2. Turning you into a super-mutation-Lovecraftian-horror show.
  3. An embarrassing STD.  Along with complications from sneezing and the mud-butt, I imagine it's hard for Spidey to scratch himself without Captain America noticing.
TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TDK_1997

I think the same way.If a hero is sick other lonely hero should cover him.

mysticflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mysticflame
@TheRyanHimself said:
" Not to sound gross or anything, but what about diarrhea? I mean, who wants to web swing around a city with a heinous case of the BG's (Bubbly guts)? I say Nay! Sometimes a day off is needed. "
lol thats hilarious, I would never have even considered that 
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

auper-heroes should take the day off if they have to, theyll be no use to anyone if they pass out in the middle of a patrol or durng a fight. if this happens then they should get a close ally whom they trust to take their place temporarily.
Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Eyz

Peter Parker used to get sick every 2 months XD 
Under Stan Lee, didn't he get a flu, cough, fever, get a cold, etc.all in his first 2-3 years?

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

They go to Night Nurse. Gun shots, burn wounds, measles, shingles, hepatitis C, colon wa... well you get the idea.

Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Woodclaw

Nice article. If I remeber right some hero include an immunity (or at least an improved resistance) to diseases among their powers. As a general rule superheroes are extremly active so many of them should be pretty tough for germs. but at the same time they're also extremly stressed, which usually lower the immune response

Also there's another side to the matter, what about supervillains? Try to picture Doom who, after months of planning, is about to unleash his last plot to destroy the F4 and suddenly sneeze inside his helmet. It will be more humiliating than this

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Superheroines in nurse outfits. Epic win for sick heroes.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Magian

No Caption Provided
She is here for them :P
Avatar image for carradinebatman
Carradinebatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Carradinebatman

What about Super Villians ?

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By They Killed Cap!
@TheRyanHimself:
That made me laugh...look out below haha
Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

They Call him When They Sick. 
They Call him When They Sick. 
darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By darth_fletcher
@ComicMan24 said:
"
No Caption Provided
She is here for them :P "
i want to be sick !!!
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Magian
@darth_fletcher: Sorry but you are in the wrong universe lol
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Billy Batson
lol
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By nefarious
@ComicMan24:
Gorgeous, I want her to be my nurse.
ForeignLawns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ForeignLawns

What about in Batman the Animate Series, when Bats gets a cold from fighting Mister Freeze? (BTAS: Heart of Ice). Alfred gives him chicken soup, and out he goes.

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#27  Edited By StarKiller809

i would think that it would be the perfect time for villians to attack.
Venom999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Venom999

wow i never even considered this possibility. It seems like heroes never get sick. Probably cause their too important to get sick
SpectrumBlur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpectrumBlur

One thought I've had in the past is what kind of superbug would be created if one of these guys catches something, and it mutates because of their altered biological systems?  A friend of mine and I wrote up an Exiles/What If? type story a while back about an Earth that was decimated by a plague, all because Captain America caught the flu, and became Patient Zero.

And before anyone asks, we wrote it back in high school, it was horribly written, and I didn't keep the file.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#30  Edited By gmanfromheck
@JonesDeini said:
" LMAO where do you come up with some of this stuff, G-Man. "
Inspired by true events. Everyone's sick and I had a rough night of sleeping.
bonatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bonatti

good question,  I  really have no idea    

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Do you know what happens....... they loose their powers or their powers mutate and they get their butts handed to them. I f they have no powers... They end up taking the day off or get killed.... or they get to see me, I am a Doctor.

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By KRYPTON

They call other heroes to take their place for a day or two. There are enough heroes in the world to look after a certain area in the world for two days or so. In other words, they just call in sick.

ravinove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ravinove

That's why you register.

SaucyJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SaucyJack

The Flu: Spider Man's worst nemesis. This idea was interesting, I never really thought of what happens to superheroes when they become sick. 

Harlekin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Harlekin

Didn't Bruce get sick during Knightfall, last I check it did not go well for him.

Dynamo8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dynamo8

To all criminals out there all I gotta say....CRIME SPREE!!! YAY!!!

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bunkerbuster05

Someone mentioned the Night Nurse already. There you go! 

And good job cranking these out Tony. There's always something new to read when I hop on.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Joe Venom

Could you imagine the back splash he gets when he sneezes! yuck!

Not to mention all the time traveling (past, alt. present, and future) and space traveling these guys do, who knows what they could bring back with them like: "Srull-pox" *symptoms include greening of the skin, rippling of the chin, and irritable shape-shifting do to sneezing*

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NightFang3
@darth_fletcher said:
" @ComicMan24 said:
"
No Caption Provided
She is here for them :P "
i want to be sick !!! "

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
Spider-Man got sick before fightingt the new Vulture, while swinging around in the snow.  He was so sick he couldn't fight the Vulture, who thought he had killed Spider-Man, and left him unconscious in the snow.
Spider-Man goes out and fights even when he is at his sickest (or has a broken arm or has been shot.)  He has such a sense of responsibility, he wont let himself stay home and get better.  He knows he would blame himself for someone getting hurt while he stayed at home and let himself get well.
Batman is similar, only he is much more serious about it, and probably has the money and equipment to compensate for being sick.  Nothing will stop his war on crime.
Superman probably doesn't ever get sick because he is immune to Earthly illnesses, he is invulnerable.  Same with Wonder Woman, I think.  Thor too.
Captain America's immune system was probably boosted to the height of human perfection, making him almost never get sick.  And even then he would probably power through it.
The X-Men are close to a job with a health plan, there are so many, and their boss (Xavier or Cyclops) knows they are a superhero, and that they are sick.  They can call in sick, in fact it would be more of a liability for the X-Men on missions if one of them is sick.  They almost have a community set up where they have a health plan.
Same with the Fantastic Four, everyone knows their identities, everyone knows their powers and such, and they are funded by the Government (I think) and such.  So one of them can get sick and they can find a fill in member or go on without that member.  They are more explorers and adventurers anyway right?
theAvengers are a Government group, even though they are funded by Stark right?  They can call in sick, and find fill in members like the FF.  Its the same with the JLA, or the JSA, they have so many members, past and present, that they can afford to let one member stay at home and get better.  Teams like the JLA, JSA, Avengers, FF and the X-Men, are like families that look out for one another.  When one gets sick, the others pick up and compensate for them.
I wonder if the Flash has a super fast immune system, can he burn through an illness like the flue or a cold in a day or a week?  What about Green Lantern?  He isn't always using his ring to protect him, shield him.  Can he get sick in his normal life?  And if he does, can he use the ring to get emerald white blood cells to cure himself of the illness?
El_Derrico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By El_Derrico

Alfred has gotten pretty good at sewing Batman back up.

UnosInfinitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By UnosInfinitos

I'm pretty sure Ironman operates the suit drunk half the time so a little cough medicine ain't nothing I tells ya

goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44  Edited By goldenshot80

Most dont get sick though so dont worry bout it

manofsteel42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By manofsteel42
@ComicMan24:
who is that chick?
manofsteel42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By manofsteel42

what happens if superman (or anyother hero/villian w/ super tough skin) needs to get an injection?

Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

DKing_CiCADA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DKing_CiCADA
@manofsteel42: Kryptonite needle?  
From what I read most heroes still fight through it example- During Grim Hunt Spiderman took on Kravins family while having swine flu  
And if its that bad I'm sure heroes have eachother for back up, when bane broke batmans back what's his face took over, superman the animated series superman dressed as batman while he was missing, I'm pretty sure spiderman and dare devil help each other out wearing each others costumes 
Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#49  Edited By Decept-O
@AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge:
Yes, Doc Mid-Nite is the go-to guy for the JSA.  That's what I love about him, he actually is a Doctor and treats the heroes when they are injured, along with help from Mr. Terrific.  I love that concept.   

Regarding heroes being sick, well, they should know when to get their rest and heal.  Yes, they often push themselves, but for those who don't have the inherent healing powers, tending to their own illness means they will continue to fight the good fight!  Drink your orange juice and eat right, heroes!
Avatar image for theworldbreaker
Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Theworldbreaker

Imagine if the Hulk got dierrea o_o no smashy smashy for him that day. Or if Superman got a cold, just wait for him to sneeze and cough and all the walls will be gone. Or if Tony stark got eather AIDs or herpes that would be very embarrising.