Off My Mind: The Benefits of Superheroes Not Having a Secret Identity

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Yesterday we looked at the obvious and not-so-obvious reasons why it's important for superheroes to maintain a secret identity. The main argument is always over a concern for the safety of friends and family of the heroes. Villains are usually motivated by revenge and greed so targeting a hero's family would be expected.

Yet there are numerous superheroes that have given up their secret identities or never had one to begin with. Some of the greatest heroes around don't feel the need for one. Whether precautions have been made or they don't have anyone that could become a target for supervillains, the idea of a secret identity is the least of their concerns.

No Caption Provided

While it might make complete sense to have one, there could be something said about not having to worry about a secret identity. What are the benefits for superheroes not having a secret identity?

== TEASER ==

Heroes such as Captain America, Aquaman, Iron Man and members of the Fantastic Four and X-Men are some of the heroes that don't have a secret identity to protect. They are free to fight crime whenever they want. They don't have to worry about keeping up a false identity or try to make excuses when they need to rush off and defeat a villain. Being a hero is who they are. It's pretty much what they live for. They have embraced their powers and their role in the fight against evil.

Heroes without a secret identity don't have to be tied down to a normal life. They don't have to watch the news out of the corner of their eye when out with friends, half listening to their conversation. Everyone knows what the score is with them and there's no surprises if a villain suddenly discovers who they really are.

No Caption Provided

Walking around with a secret isn't really a healthy thing. It can eat away with you. In a sense, the hero becomes a liar when making excuses to their friends about where they were at or why they had to run off. The hero is not allowed to be themselves around those that are supposedly closest to them. What will the friends and family think if they ever uncover the lie/secret?

What wealth and fame? Some like Spider-Man might feel action is enough of a reward but there is money to be made as a superhero. We're always seeing superhero paraphernalia in comic universes and heroes with secret identities can't cash in on it. They don't have to try to sell out but they could easily collect on some royalties from others using their likeness or by making the occasional appearance. It was mentioned before that Superman allowed merchandise to be made and sold provided some money from profits went to a charitable cause.

They might get a lot of phone calls or fan mail but if the authorities know who they are, they can be reached if someone like Galactus was detected heading towards Earth. Not everyone has a Bat-signal to shine in the night when a hero is needed to save the lives of innocents.

No Caption Provided

One of the biggest advantages to having a public identity is making sure the villains are prosecuted for their crimes. If a masked vigilante captures a superhvillain and ties them up for the authorities, there could be some legal holes the villains can worm their way through. Superheroes don't have the power to read an apprehended villain his rights. They can't testify in a court of a law if they can't state their real name and the take the oath.

The testimony of a masked hero can't be used. The hero could perform certain feats in the court to try to prove they have the abilities of who they say they are but there are too many heroes and villains with the ability to mimic other heroes. If there was major damage or deaths during a battle between a hero and a villain, it would be the word of one against the other. Chances are the villain's identity is known while the hero is hiding behind a mask.

No Caption Provided

For the superhero trying to save as many lives as they can and rid the world of evil, trying to balance a superhero identity and a secret one is too much work. The time and energy put in to maintain a secret identity could be used for other things. How is it all of Tony Stark's employees manage to live their lives without being threatened? Batman practically revealed his identity by publicly stating Wayne Enterprises funds his activities and there hasn't been any fallout over that so far. Villains may be evil but they are a little cowardly as well. They could attack a hero through their friends but most of them are smart enough to know the boundaries.

Deathstroke the Terminator never really went after those close to the Teen Titans because of the wrath from the team, Batman and the Justice League that would be placed upon him. As long as the hero proves their friends and family are under their protection, villains most likely won't take the risk of the entire superhero community going after them. Besides, if you had superpowers, wouldn't you want to show it off to the world?

EugeneSaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EugeneSaxe

I wouldn't bother with dual identities, too much hassle. Regular me would just get on a bus.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Pros - You stand out as a hero more since your in hero mode 24/7 no need for excuses and having to get changed. You may get some sort of benefits from the loclas and will recive respect no matter what guise you are in due to reputation.

Cons- Your easily traceable, You have to make time to change into costumes wasting seconds in most cases. You have no private life unless your insanely rich or in some kind of compound " normal live out of the window". If you make a mistake the press can and will name and shame you.

Each has their own benefits but the classic secret identittyis the ebst of both worlds in my view you have teh abilty to life some what normal life whilst also being a hero. Where as the Fnastic four etc Are always hounded hence why Reed has mto make crazy security and Johnny Storm is always in the papers.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By DarthShap

Pre-reboot, Deathstroke was never a true villain. He was a man of values with a code of honor. The same cannot be said for other villains and it was the whole point of Identity Crisis and the (infamous?) mind wipes.

daikari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By daikari

I think it would would also depend on what type of powers that you have.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By RainEffect

That final image looks scarily similar to Acuna's art; which is my kryptonite. Well, that and Judd Winick's Red Hood: The Lost Days.

_Knightwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By _Knightwing

Teenagers would probably need secret identities the most. If they are running around in spandex breaking the law ever night it would go down on their record and they would be ridiculed by their haters. Even though super powers are admired in our world if it was like in fiction they would eventually begin to be looked upon as if they were freaks. So, secret identities? Lame, yes. Time consuming, yes. Good idea, YES.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Mega_spidey01

i be more like luke cage type hero i gave no secret identity . 

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sentryman555

As far as teen heroes go they should at least reveal themselves to their parents if they still live with them. I always think of Tim Drake and how much guilt he felt lying to his dad all the time about his identity.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eyz

Well, it sure is easier if they're a teen, from a responsiblity pov.

@lazystudent said:

Pros - You stand out as a hero more since your in hero mode 24/7 no need for excuses and having to get changed. You may get some sort of benefits from the loclas and will recive respect no matter what guise you are in due to reputation.

Cons- Your easily traceable, You have to make time to change into costumes wasting seconds in most cases. You have no private life unless your insanely rich or in some kind of compound " normal live out of the window". If you make a mistake the press can and will name and shame you.

Each has their own benefits but the classic secret identittyis the ebst of both worlds in my view you have teh abilty to life some what normal life whilst also being a hero. Where as the Fnastic four etc Are always hounded hence why Reed has mto make crazy security and Johnny Storm is always in the papers.

Righty-o!

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By armylife1124

Biggest reason for a secret identity, aside from the whole family safety thing, is that you just need time where you are not a hero. Like police officers need time to go out without there uniform to relax...

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#11  Edited By EganTheVile1

Just a thought, why has DC never given Superman a mask in modern days/or why does he maintain a dual identity? I mean iI commit a crime and my only means of a disguise is changing cloths, taking my glasses off, and messing up my hair, a camera would catch my face, or an eye-witness would describe me, and no glasses or not I would get identified soon

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck

@EganTheVile1: There has been some explanations more recently. John Byrne used to have that Superman would move his head at super-speed so cameras could never catch a clear look at him. It'd be all a blur. But then we saw in the Geoff Johns/Gary Frank SECRET ORIGIN that he posed for Jimmy right away and the pic was in the Daily Planet.

Frank Quietly in ALL-STAR SUPERMAN also distinguished the two by having Clark slouch over and wear baggy clothes. Changing the voice and the bumbling manner threw people off.

There was also Lex (in Byrne's run) that refused to believe someone with Superman's power would pose a mere human.

No Caption Provided
BearMane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BearMane

I would want to be the center of attention... like BoosterGold and just be the big hero that "everyone loves"

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By nightwing91

Well DC had it so that their heroes when testifying in court can do it as their costumed alteregos,no need to reveal their true identity. And you forgot the greatest reason, the chicks.

No Caption Provided
BatUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By BatUniverse

@G-Man: You are giving us fair points Tony, but what about a Hero or Superhero that Doesn't have friends, family, allies, or every single social link?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gmanfromheck

@BatUniverse: No friends or family, no need for a secret ID. Unless they want private time to be able to go to the movies without being hassled. But then they could try putting on a disguise like celebs do.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Personally for me it makes more sense if the superhero isn't tied down by personal relationships in order to have their secret identities made public. In the fight against evil yes it can be a problem to have one's identity made public...but in the legal case of testifying in court I see that only as an excuse for so long until the superhero is ready to take down said villain again in an extra-legal manner. In other words, superheroes like Batman know NO jurisdiction, and they will get the villain even if legitimate law-enforcement fails to. On the other hand, by making the secret identity a public one, like you say, it does make things less complicated if you ask me. After all, its not like heroes don't have enough to worry about already without having to regard their identities. And in the end, if the superhero gig is what they love, why not make their identity public? The superhero is the man/woman, and if that's their true calling then they shouldn't have to or even want to hide that. Food for thought!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@G-Man:  

No friends or family, no need for a secret ID

this is what i think it comes down to when deciding whether to make your identity private or not. all of the main heroes with public identities, Cap America, Ironman, the FF, Nick Fury, either don't really have loved ones, or the ones they do have aren't exactly civilians,(they are usually other heroes themselves) so it's ok for their identities to be well known, they have no one to put in danger, but the heroes WITH secret identities usually have civilian loved ones to worry about, Peter Parker has all of his friends and Aunt May, Bruce Wayne has Alfred, Clark Kent has Lois, and everyone at the DP (and sometimes his parents, depending on if they're alive or not)  

so i say this, if you have people you care about that villains can get to fairly easily, keep your identity secret, if not, then go ahead and announce that you are indeed, Iron Man
saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By saoakden

Well for if was me having powers, I rather have it be kept a secret from the public. For a few reasons:

1. Obiviously, cause my eneimes would take the easy, and yet, cowardly way & take my friends & family hostage.
  2. Certain companies would want to use me as a mascot or spokesperson for one of their products.
  3. I don't know if anyone watched Smallville when it was on but in Season 8 episode 15 called Infamous, Clark was being blackmailed by some crazy reporter so he decided to tell Lois & have his story published. But aftwerwards, everyone started taking advantage of his abilities by begging for an autograph, jumping off buildings so he can save him, & they easily made him from the hero to the villain in an instance after a story talking negativily about him was published.

So, I rather have my privacy if I was a superhero & maybe only let a few people know my secret.

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sammo21

I think Peter Parker would tell you how important it is to have a secret identity :p

theduffel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By theduffel

@saoakden: God I miss Smallville! 10 years wasn't enough. lol

@G-Man Look at One More Day, Spider-Man. Kingpin found out about Parker then immediately went after him, it was only by mistake that Aunt May was shot. The issue of keeping a secret identity is the smartest thing to do. Take the Death of Spider-Man in the Ultimate universe. Peter Parker paid with his life defending his family and self but nothing could stop the villains from winning that day. For rich people with secret identities it's different, they can be protected in their secured fortresses, like the Fantastic Four tower, Tony Stark in his Stark Tower, and others. If you're poor and living in a suburb, you can't supply enough protection for your family that you need if you aren't around.

FireFlare153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By FireFlare153

That heroes Facebook would probably be flooded with messages.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Well... your a celebrity in your own right... which is awesome, and you like the attention. I hope your rich because there are gonna be lawsuits up the yin yang!

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Or35ti

Don't forget, for superheroes who aren't Superman or who can't switch into their costume in a heartbeat, it can take some time for a hero to change into their costume in the face of a random danger. Without a secret identity they can just fight on the spot in their civilian clothes, assuming they're comfortable enough, and save a lot of time and casualties.

Avatar image for metallicmercury
MetallicMercury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By MetallicMercury

Maybe you could have a third identity, if you get what I mean. You, your alter ego and you alter ego's 'secret identity'. However that might be difficult when people find that you have no records...

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LP

@saoakden said:

Well for if was me having powers, I rather have it be kept a secret from the public. For a few reasons:

1. Obiviously, cause my eneimes would take the easy, and yet, cowardly way & take my friends & family hostage.
  2. Certain companies would want to use me as a mascot or spokesperson for one of their products.
  3. I don't know if anyone watched Smallville when it was on but in Season 8 episode 15 called Infamous, Clark was being blackmailed by some crazy reporter so he decided to tell Lois & have his story published. But aftwerwards, everyone started taking advantage of his abilities by begging for an autograph, jumping off buildings so he can save him, & they easily made him from the hero to the villain in an instance after a story talking negativily about him was published.

So, I rather have my privacy if I was a superhero & maybe only let a few people know my secret.

Hey that's one of my favorite episodes of Smallville! Anyway, as for me I'm just not sure. I can see the benefits of having a secret and not having one, neither would be "easier" just different. I would love to think that everyone would love me but as long as there are people like Lex Luthor (yes there ARE people like him everywhere) and Jameson, I can't imagine them just "leaving me alone" because to them I'm just another celebrity = another target.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#27  Edited By Queso6p4

@ntb1124 said:

Biggest reason for a secret identity, aside from the whole family safety thing, is that you just need time where you are not a hero. Like police officers need time to go out without there uniform to relax...

This would be my second biggest reason for having a secret identity, or at least a way to mask your identity when doing heroic (or evil) acts without having to put on a costume. Magical means, easily concealable tech, perhaps?

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By difficlus

@FireFlare153 said:

That heroes Facebook would probably be flooded with messages.

haha

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#29  Edited By The Impersonator

@Sammo21 said:

I think Peter Parker would tell you how important it is to have a secret identity :p

He never would have explained the importance of secret identity if he hadn't messed things up in Civil War. :P

ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By ninjadude853

.... Would anyone mind explaining the story behind Tony Stark unveiling his identity for a dog? That looked interesting.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Brackynews

@G-Man: Excellent article Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero, former math teacher. ;)

I do tend to enjoy the simplicity of characters who don't have a double life, because it focuses on the adventure. You know what Captain America is about. And he knows what he's about.

But the flaws and weaknesses of Spidey, Batman, and absolutely any mutant who wears civilian clothes are more interesting reflections of reality, and a judgmental society where a right to privacy should be respected, but isn't.

Especially if you can sue somebody for not stopping a meteorite from falling on your car.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lurkero

Superman and other vastly powerful superheroes like Martian Manhunter having secret identities never made sense to me. It becomes less efficient to be a hero when you are constantly trying to hide your identity.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Hazlenaut

I liked Spiderman showing his Identity in the Civil War. It was great move. It was bound to happen. Everyone developed for the better for it. I will go in more detail later in a blog. Identities are easy to reveal now a days. There are villains that do learn from each experience. When they find it out the worst case of scenario happens, then there are those who save it as a trunk card for doing something far worst then the hero could imagine.

bobber206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bobber206

Everything by Tony on this site is terribly written. I am almost embarrassed. Sarah's stuff usually good.

Comparing the writing quality to the other WhiskeyMedia sites... it's very poor.

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By SuperXAsh

The only downside is that with your identity known... is that unless your whole family was wiped out... puts a target on everyone you know, love, or care for's back. Also means ANY villain (not just the more dedicated/crazy ones) can track you down and get revenge for having messed with them. Identity Crisis showed what can happen when the more sick and twisted learn of their hated enemy's secret identity.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Superguy1591

Since Superman doesn't wear a mask, no one thinks he has a secret identity. Everyone thinks Superman is Superman all the time. Clark Kent has very common traits that are seen in many caucasian males (dark hair, blue eyes) and the only other superheroes that never wear masks are outed superheroes (Booster Gold, Diana Prince, Elongated Man, John Stewart).

We know Superman has a secret identity solely because we know, we've read it since we were six. But the people of Metropolis don't think that way.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Mbecks14

@Superguy1591 said:

Since Superman doesn't wear a mask, no one thinks he has a secret identity. Everyone thinks Superman is Superman all the time. Clark Kent has very common traits that are seen in many caucasian males (dark hair, blue eyes) and the only other superheroes that never wear masks are outed superheroes (Booster Gold, Diana Prince, Elongated Man, John Stewart).

We know Superman has a secret identity solely because we know, we've read it since we were six. But the people of Metropolis don't think that way.

EXACTLY!

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Paracelsus

The heroes referred to, usually have no known family members( and in the case of Tony Stark's wastrel cousin Morgan at least are estranged from them), such as Janet Van Dyne/ Henry Pym, or are heroes themselves such as Bruce Banner's cousin Jennifer Walters aka the She Hulk.

The first thing any super-villain would do when a hero went public is go down to City Hall, get a copy of the hero's birth certificate( quite legal) and begin to murder any and all known relatives( Reed has relatives but they live in Scotland-outside the US and their existence is NOT known to the bulk of their foes with the possible exception of Dr.Doom who would consider such an act beneath his honor and cowardly) or simply take a phone book and murder everybody with the name "Parker" "Stark", "Rogers" on the off chance that they were related to their foe by blood or marriage. No, "going public" would create more problems than it solved, trust me on this!

Terry