Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Hymmis
@DMC said:

" @G-Man:   I could be wrong but who actually wore chain mail in WWII?  "

"Mad" Jack Churchill probably would have, if he saw use of it. It'd look good with his claymore!

@mrmisanthrope:  Your name is really fitting. Anyway, I have a few counterpoints to your arguments.

1. X-Men: It's true that their role in the comics was exactly that, but not in the movie. Xavier's school wasn't even publicly known as a mutant-school, so why would their secret group of protectors be? This version of the X-Men never intended to be seen by the public eye, so that explains the black leather.

2. Captain America: The gloves and boots ARE red, just in a very deep colour. Like the red in Superman Returns. But I can understand that it's easy to miss, I did at first until someone else pointed it out.
JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By JonesDeini
@Theodore said:
" I think films should try their best to capture the spirit of the comics they are recreating, it doesn't have to be exact but I like them to have the same feel. I like Cap's movie costume, it's kind of like the Ultimate Cap costume. "
Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Kid_Zombie

Dont like Caps costume? I love it! They nailed it. I like its baggy, and a bit more armory fits, with the WWII army fatigue perfectly.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By z3ro180

i like the thor captin america and new spider man costumes jusst fine cause no matter what you cant make the costume exatly like the comic but these ones r good but not the green lantern costume that just looks like crap.
JamesSpiring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By JamesSpiring
@mrmisanthrope said:
" Where does this repetitive droning of spandex come from? Why does everyone assume it's spandex instead of rubber or latex or more likely, unstable molecules?  Muscles don't stick out through spandex like they do on comic book characters. For comparison, the male actors from say the Power Rangers series tended to be relatively buff, but in their costumes you would never have known.  "
That's because it usually ISN'T the actors in the suits. It's usually stunt people when they have their helmets on. In MMPR season 1, the actual actors were in the suits in American footage (but obviously not in the Super Sentai source material), but for insurance reasons they've used stunt people all the time since season 2. They don't want someone to get injured and have to be replaced. For an obvious example, look at season 16, Jungle Fury. The blue ranger is a lot taller when morphed, because the stuntman is taller than the actor.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By crusader8463

I think it's important to keep the comic look. To the fans of the character it can destroy the movie if it's changed too much, because every time they see the guy they think it's not the hero they know but a bastardization of their hero., and everyone else in the audience could care less one way or another what his costume looks like. So you might as well go with the original. 

Of course, there are some costumes that only work in comic books and just look stupid in real life on a person. When you are faced with something like that the best you can do is try to meet some where in the middle.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#57  Edited By ImperiousRix
@DMC said:
He's probably referring to the scale-mail often associated with the top part of Cap's costume. 

Anyway, I think movies should always try to find a happy medium between the comic book's costumes and what looks good on an actual person.  I'm not saying that's easy, but I think too many movies either try to go for the straight adaptation or for something that's only slightly reminiscent of the character's actual look. 

For example, I really like Cap's look in the movie.  It basically is taking the more realistic look of Ultimate Captain America (touches like the helmet-cowl, tactical pouches, etc) and making that more feasible in the real world.  On the other hand, Hal Jordan's costume goes for too much of the "high concept" feel and lacks even the feeling of being a suit.  There's not really anything particularly heroic-looking about him, he just looks like a naked green guy. 

Naked only works if you're Dr. Manhattan.
Avatar image for reversenegative
ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By ReverseNegative

It usually depends if it could work.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By sora_thekey

I say that most movies have been doing a great job with the costumes. 
Costumes have to be adapted to our world, otherwise there would be no point in placing a fictional character in the real world if his/her look is going to preserve that fictional look. They have to look like they belong in our world.  

Which is why I am still waiting for a redesign of Superman's costume for the movies, since he still looks like he belongs on some bed sheets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

As long as something like this never happens again I'll be fine with movie costumes....

I think my eyes just threw up
I think my eyes just threw up
leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61  Edited By leokearon

Wouldn't it be a case that if they didn't wear their iconic costumes, a lot of fans would complain? 

Also I think it depends on the costume, some work better tahn others, even the comics made fun of Wolverine's Blue and Yellow suit
Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Bestostero

Yeah... its quite surprising how well a lot of these costumes look in print, but they don't translate well to live action... it just goes to show only perfect bodies can pull off primary color tights and what not.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By DMC
@ImperiousRix said:
" @DMC said:
On the other hand, Hal Jordan's costume goes for too much of the "high concept" feel and lacks even the feeling of being a suit.  There's not really anything particularly heroic-looking about him, he just looks like a naked green guy.  Naked only works if you're Dr. Manhattan. "
I can understand why the movie costume for GL looks the way it does. The Lantern is basically alien tech right so the suit itself kinda has to look like something you wouldn't see on Earth. It has to look "otherworldly" (so to speak) compared to other super-hero costumes. That's probably why they got rid of the white gloves. 

Though as a counter argument one could say, shouldn't each GL members suit emulate a look they're familiar with on their planet? (While sticking with the same color scheme of course) 

It's not about being "heroic looking" per-se. He's part of an intergalactic, alien space police force. If one takes that seriously, he wouldn't look "heroic" by our earthly standards.
GalactaSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#64  Edited By GalactaSurfer

The Green Lantern costume looks horrible. Theres something seriously off about that mask. 
Captain America's suit looks just ok I can deal with it because I know that the definitive version of the costume will be the one in the actual Avenges movie.

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#65  Edited By caesarsghost
@DMC said:
" @ImperiousRix said:
" @DMC said:
On the other hand, Hal Jordan's costume goes for too much of the "high concept" feel and lacks even the feeling of being a suit.  There's not really anything particularly heroic-looking about him, he just looks like a naked green guy.  Naked only works if you're Dr. Manhattan. "
I can understand why the movie costume for GL looks the way it does. The Lantern is basically alien tech right so the suit itself kinda has to look like something you wouldn't see on Earth. It has to look "otherworldly" (so to speak) compared to other super-hero costumes. That's probably why they got rid of the white gloves.   Though as a counter argument one could say, shouldn't each GL members suit emulate a look they're familiar with on their planet? (While sticking with the same color scheme of course)   It's not about being "heroic looking" per-se. He's part of an intergalactic, alien space police force. If one takes that seriously, he wouldn't look "heroic" by our earthly standards. "

hear hear!
Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I think with a character that has already appeared in the movies, like Spider-Man, they have sort of already established what the basics of his costume are.
 But the minor, very minor, changes they made to the costume for the new movie...

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I am just worried that young kids will grow up thinking that the Spider-Man costume looks different.  It isn't a real worry, just a very minor thought I guess.

Green Lantern I get.  His costume is made from his mind, by alien tech.  So they didn't want it to look like fabric, or have wrinkles or folds.  I understand that.  That's fine.  I have noticed that so far in the trailers Thor isn't wearing his armor in Midgard.  I wonder why, hope they don't change it to Ultimate Thor armor for the Avengers movie. 
Earlier you guys talked about Wonder Woman, I think her movie could be very much like Thor, with her costume being explained away the way Thor's is.

X-Men should have been normal people, wearing normal clothes that hinted at their comic costumes without being comic costumes.  Since they are supposed to be human's with a mutant power.  I liked the version of the X-Men's combat uniforms that Halle Berry had in X3:
No Caption Provided
But I think most of the time they should have had normal clothes and less combat uniforms.  In the movies though they could have just explained away the costumes with the idea saying Xavier wanted them to look like comic book super heroes.
Wolverine could have had a shirt like this, and the school could have had yellow and blue school uniforms like these:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
ddaann1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#67  Edited By ddaann1985
@reaper2923:  Haha very true :)
What was up with THAT!
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#68  Edited By The Impersonator

G-Man, I think you made a typo error. You said "Unfortunately, for the cows.... Don't you mean cowls? I laughed when I read that.

The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By The Hobgoblin
roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By roadbuster

I don't think there's a single hard and fast rule of adapting costumes to film, what works or doesn't is more dependent on the rest of your production (story, casting, FX, etc) than any one costume philosophy in my opinion.  That said, I'll suggest some guidelines which should be thought about but not necessarily adhered to strictly. 

First, the degree of faithfulness should be dictated by how important the costume is to the character and the character's identity? - These are two different inquiries actually, the first being a story point of whether or not there even is a costume or what the nature of the costume is; and the second being the appearance of the costume.  So, for example, Iron Man is his costume in many ways... you couldn't a complete Iron Man film without ever putting him in powered armor... but Iron Man's appearance is less constrained- as long as there's red, gold, a glowing chest light, and dispassionate "face" helmet- many variations of the costume will work and adaptation is tolerable.  The same for Batman.  The X-Men, in terms of costumes, are much more loose working fine in civilian clothing and few are tied to a single iconic look... so you can both discard the costume entirely or radically redesign them without issue.  Characters like Superman or Captain America tend to deserve a higher degree of faithfulness. 

Second, there must be a degree of adaption.  The vast majority of comics aren't photo-realistic, even the ones rendered in excruciating detail, and so costumes designed for four-color newsprint were often never intended to hold up under real world physics, physiques, lighting, or modern video resolution.  It should go without saying that a film version of a costume should not give away the intimate details of one's genitalia in the name of comic book faithfulness.  In order to match contemporary tastes and technology it is reasonable to add texturing or additional detail in order for a costumed character to feel more realistically- or at least carefully- rendered rather than a blank expanse of stretchy material with a stenciled logo.  Regarding careful rendering, this is sort of an audience disconnect, but as filmmakers they have to go with it... the audience has paid to see a blockbuster or action film... so explosions should be big, actors beautiful, and costumes quality... even if reality dictates muffled pops, average looking persons, and patchwork costumes.  It's a corporate suspension of disbelief convention we've all agreed to and it's OK. 

Third, almost everything else is more important.  If explaining costumes helps ground your story in reality, then go ahead, but if your story isn't about being grounded don't try to force an explanation wasting time on exposition or acting embarrassed by your essential premise.  The costume needs to be in service of everything else and if it's a roadblock you either need to reevaluate your costume changes, your story, or your fears (sacrificing both faithfulness and story to alleviate perceived rejection of both by audiences rather than just telling your story and selling your product).  There is a temptation to ground everything because that's an easy way to provide veracity- by making their reality our reality- but in any fictional medium there's also the opportunity to make real the fiction.  You can establish and develop your world, its style, their reality, etc. with artfully executed craft to create veracity just as one can take comics and made them more mundane.  Few films are going to have the budget, care, or talent of Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, or The Matrix in terms of world-building, but just because our reality is the cheaper alternative doesn't mean it is the sole option. 

Fourth, give audiences a little credit.  The Dark Knight stars a man who speaks in a ridiculous voice with two pointy ears on his head... but because of everything else the film is solid we'll more than forgive that.  There is no single audience with one attitude and the delicate sensibilities of some costume sensitive are not going to dictate how everyone across the board feels.  There will be some who will always be unhappy, some who are easily pleased, and a wide middle, but be ambitious and shoot for a smarter crowd rather than the lowest common denominator.  If it serves what you're trying to do, let audience suspension of disbelief carry the costume where necessary; or if the color and pallette fits your style; etc.  Have a voice and stick with it, rather than try to design your costume by committee or fear or a phantom "one voice" audience rejection as long as you're keeping the first point in mind (some of these characters "belong" to the public as an idea or an image more than others and your voice should resonate with theirs, not contradict it, even if you have your own unique chord).  

Fifth, business and trademark considerations.  Consider how distinct you want your movie properties from everything else to potentially give you the opportunity to double dip on merchandising and licensing (caps with the movie logo versus comic logo, etc).  In general you want the costume to be sufficiently distinctive to clearly establish a new or separate franchise without losing the identity you're benefiting from or blurring the lines between the properties.

Not exactly airtight rule set or even 100% internally consistent, but a set of guidelines I'd consider when adapting a costume.

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

not faithful but captures the tone and looks good
 not faithful but captures the tone and looks good

fits the tone of the comic book perfectly, doesn't quite fit in the less good movie
 fits the tone of the comic book perfectly, doesn't quite fit in the less good movie

accurate and effective
 accurate and effective

pretty good (new superman suit)
 pretty good (new superman suit)

fits the campy light atmosphere
 fits the campy light atmosphere

cant compare to the original, but ill wait till the movie to condemn it
 cant compare to the original, but ill wait till the movie to condemn it

'Catwoman' Moviethis costume didnt work so well
'Catwoman' Moviethis costume didnt work so well

the burton catwoman was both original and accurate, and really really awesome
 the burton catwoman was both original and accurate, and really really awesome

tim burton batman was kinda dumb, but its excusable since back then there weren't the visuals we have now
 tim burton batman was kinda dumb, but its excusable since back then there weren't the visuals we have now

faithfdul while original, the nolan batman is believable and scary
 faithfdul while original, the nolan batman is believable and scary

the original hulk had a faithful and cool costume.  the new one not so much.
 the original hulk had a faithful and cool costume.  the new one not so much.

The Ridervery faithful and very cool
The Ridervery faithful and very cool

faithful and badass
 faithful and badass

IMAX Postereverything you could hope for in an iron man movie costume
IMAX Postereverything you could hope for in an iron man movie costume

faithful yet awkward--no clothes is alwaysa weird
 faithful yet awkward--no clothes is alwaysa weird

looks kinda dumb now but maybe it will be cooler in the movie
 looks kinda dumb now but maybe it will be cooler in the movie

pretty awesome.  faithful yet believable--and also kinda cool
 pretty awesome.  faithful yet believable--and also kinda cool

i also like wolverine's tan jacket that is reminiscent of his original costume
 original x-men film wolverine costume is good wolverine is a characrter who makes sense in just a leather suit
 original x-men film wolverine costume is good wolverine is a characrter who makes sense in just a leather suit

I love the first looks of the cap costume  it is believable, historical-ish, faithful, and original
 I love the first looks of the cap costume  it is believable, historical-ish, faithful, and original

Probably my favorite costume in a movie, this is faithful and believable AND original. 
 Probably my favorite costume in a movie, this is faithful and believable AND original. 

This is an awesome costume--believable and faithful.  Go sam raimi only problem is it makes no sense that a teenager would be able to make that on his own
 This is an awesome costume--believable and faithful.  Go sam raimi only problem is it makes no sense that a teenager would be able to make that on his own

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@Danial79 said:
" For what it's worth, I happen to think Cap's movie costume is pretty cool... besides the helmet :P "
i love every bit of it :)
Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Aetheldod

@Gman sorry to differ but Captain America's outfit looks cooler than the comic book one

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#74  Edited By gmanfromheck
@The Impersonator: No, I meant actual cows. As in the poor cows that will get slaughtered in order to make leather outfits.
Avatar image for silver_knight75
Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#75  Edited By Silver Knight75

I'm actually okay with Captain America's costume for the movie 

but yes, the Costumes should be like what they are their comic 

JerardPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By JerardPrime

When I first heard/saw the new Cap costume I wasn't thrilled, but the more pics I saw of it and especially the pic used in this story, I think it looks pretty damn cool! Thor  and Spiderman look cool as well. As much as it would be cool to see them depicted exactly like the books you have to look at the praticality of their costumes. The way they are shown in the books the costumes look paper thin but in the real world they would have to incorporate some kind of protection.
darksoul7th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By darksoul7th

Not bad Hell of a Costumes btw!

Razeil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Razeil

Tim Burtons Batman was great it change the look of Batman in the comics, even Gotham city had a design change because it worked so well.

Staticoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Staticoss

although the new spiderman costume is  different it is still good, plus, it has the possibilty of wec shooters, the raimi costume I liked, it's just that some times it looked a little too padded, like it was a msucle suit or something, one thing is for sure the new spidey outfit fits garfield perfectly it looks natural, however when you look at the picture posted by ArtisticNeddham of Tobey, not so much
Avatar image for blueninjapanther
blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By blueninjapanther

I would watch green lanthern movie but the costume looks kinda weird. I think they should atleast make it look like the comic books or fans can vote what costume should they wear, cause that would be awesome.
JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By JonesDeini

I'm honestly more concerned with the personality of the character being written well and the actor doing a good job portraying them. I'm fine with costume changes. I realize that costumes from pages don't always translate well to the silver screen. Therefore some aesthetic alterations have to be made so that they don't seem too silly. I'm one of those people who were were a fan of singers black leather para-military looking X-Men. It gelled with that world, and didn't go against the nature of the X-men in my opinion. As long as the costume changes make since and remain true to overall spirit of the costume I'm cool with it. And I like the Cap suit for that reason. 

jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By jamdown

i say we need more animated movies
JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By JonesDeini
@Mainline said:
" I don't think there's a single hard and fast rule of adapting costumes to film, what works or doesn't is more dependent on the rest of your production (story, casting, FX, etc) than any one costume philosophy in my opinion.  That said, I'll suggest some guidelines which should be thought about but not necessarily adhered to strictly. 

First, the degree of faithfulness should be dictated by how important the costume is to the character and the character's identity? - These are two different inquiries actually, the first being a story point of whether or not there even is a costume or what the nature of the costume is; and the second being the appearance of the costume.  So, for example, Iron Man is his costume in many ways... you couldn't a complete Iron Man film without ever putting him in powered armor... but Iron Man's appearance is less constrained- as long as there's red, gold, a glowing chest light, and dispassionate "face" helmet- many variations of the costume will work and adaptation is tolerable.  The same for Batman.  The X-Men, in terms of costumes, are much more loose working fine in civilian clothing and few are tied to a single iconic look... so you can both discard the costume entirely or radically redesign them without issue.  Characters like Superman or Captain America tend to deserve a higher degree of faithfulness. 

Second, there must be a degree of adaption.  The vast majority of comics aren't photo-realistic, even the ones rendered in excruciating detail, and so costumes designed for four-color newsprint were often never intended to hold up under real world physics, physiques, lighting, or modern video resolution.  It should go without saying that a film version of a costume should not give away the intimate details of one's genitalia in the name of comic book faithfulness.  In order to match contemporary tastes and technology it is reasonable to add texturing or additional detail in order for a costumed character to feel more realistically- or at least carefully- rendered rather than a blank expanse of stretchy material with a stenciled logo.  Regarding careful rendering, this is sort of an audience disconnect, but as filmmakers they have to go with it... the audience has paid to see a blockbuster or action film... so explosions should be big, actors beautiful, and costumes quality... even if reality dictates muffled pops, average looking persons, and patchwork costumes.  It's a corporate suspension of disbelief convention we've all agreed to and it's OK. 

Third, almost everything else is more important.  If explaining costumes helps ground your story in reality, then go ahead, but if your story isn't about being grounded don't try to force an explanation wasting time on exposition or acting embarrassed by your essential premise.  The costume needs to be in service of everything else and if it's a roadblock you either need to reevaluate your costume changes, your story, or your fears (sacrificing both faithfulness and story to alleviate perceived rejection of both by audiences rather than just telling your story and selling your product).  There is a temptation to ground everything because that's an easy way to provide veracity- by making their reality our reality- but in any fictional medium there's also the opportunity to make real the fiction.  You can establish and develop your world, its style, their reality, etc. with artfully executed craft to create veracity just as one can take comics and made them more mundane.  Few films are going to have the budget, care, or talent of Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, or The Matrix in terms of world-building, but just because our reality is the cheaper alternative doesn't mean it is the sole option. 

Fourth, give audiences a little credit.  The Dark Knight stars a man who speaks in a ridiculous voice with two pointy ears on his head... but because of everything else the film is solid we'll more than forgive that.  There is no single audience with one attitude and the delicate sensibilities of some costume sensitive are not going to dictate how everyone across the board feels.  There will be some who will always be unhappy, some who are easily pleased, and a wide middle, but be ambitious and shoot for a smarter crowd rather than the lowest common denominator.  If it serves what you're trying to do, let audience suspension of disbelief carry the costume where necessary; or if the color and pallette fits your style; etc.  Have a voice and stick with it, rather than try to design your costume by committee or fear or a phantom "one voice" audience rejection as long as you're keeping the first point in mind (some of these characters "belong" to the public as an idea or an image more than others and your voice should resonate with theirs, not contradict it, even if you have your own unique chord).   Fifth, business and trademark considerations.  Consider how distinct you want your movie properties from everything else to potentially give you the opportunity to double dip on merchandising and licensing (caps with the movie logo versus comic logo, etc).  In general you want the costume to be sufficiently distinctive to clearly establish a new or separate franchise without losing the identity you're benefiting from or blurring the lines between the properties. Not exactly airtight rule set or even 100% internally consistent, but a set of guidelines I'd consider when adapting a costume. "
Tabernacle Preach, folk. Spot on man. 
Luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Luthorcrow

A good movie custom design is one that takes the original design and makes it look practical.  A little re=imagining is fine as long is the design works.  On this bases: 

• New Spiderman Costume  = C-. Terrible. The Sam Rami film design took the basic original design gave it texture and layers and really look great.  The new one looks like it is made out of latex and belongs in an S & M shop. 

Capitan America = A.  very nice design.  It looks like a leather, period inspired costume. 

Iron Man = A+. simply one of the best translations from comic to movie.  The choice to use actual practical suits were ever possible was brilliant.  Stan Weston's work on the first film really helped sell the character. 

Thor = B. A bit modern looking but a nice balance between mythical and the original Kirby design. 

Green Lantern = F-. The worst costume work I have seen to date.  Just seeing the preview and screen shots makes me not want to see the film.  Digital effects work best when they do not call attention to themselves, when they sell believability.  Think of Fight Club, a film with a ton of digital effects but that do not call attention themselves but completely work.  This just looks fake, digital the way cheap films with bad digital effects look. 

X-men = B.  the least imaginative but they work.  

Superman = A. follows the Sami Rami approach to costume design but Sups dudes in the last film looked really nice. 

Batman = A. Nolan's run on Batman just makes one realize how fay and feeble the original Burton run really was.  Much less the  Schumacher Bat nipples, cod pieces, etc.  The Nolan designs have been practical and believable.
NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By NightFang3

I like the Green Lanterns costume in the live-actin movie, but I wish they would seek to the comics more! 

Backlash88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Backlash88

If the character does not have super powers, then they need either protection or stealth.
Batman - human, needs protection, so his suit needs to be more Kevlar than spandex.
Green Lantern - the ring creates the suit, so it should not look like clothing IMO
Daredevil - they just had a darker color for the suit
Spidey, Superman, Iron Man, Thor, Ghostrider - all have powers, (Iron Man from the suit)
X-Men - born with powers, but to be covert, makes little sense to walk around in yellow.

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By waruikumo

Captain America gets the biggest unavoidable train wreck award.  That movie couldn't be saved by the combined efforts of Jesus, Superman, & James Brown. 

The new spidey costume has grown after my initial apprehension.  I love that they have knowingly or unknowingly mixed in elements of the "Sensational" Ben Reilly Spider-man outfit into it.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#88  Edited By turoksonofstone

As close to what is seen in the comic as is possible. 99.9% of costume change is FAIL!

No Caption Provided
goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By goldenkey

when it comes to Wolverine I can see why he shouldn't wair a yellow and blue suit, but don't tell me that they couldn't make a cool enough looking mask.  They said it didn't look right once it was off the page, but looking at some of the action figures of him a mask could work fine, and action figures are 3 dimensional
Dutchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Dutchy

I dont think they should copy the comic book version 1:1. However the movie versie of the costume should resemble the comic book version in some way.

Im saying this because completely copying a comic book costume in a movie just doesnt work all the time. For example; the costume of Wolverine in a movie. I think that would look pretty silly on screen. There are exceptions however. Punisher comes to mind (the MAX version, the old school costume wouldnt work). But the spandex kind of costumes, in most cases, will look lame onscreen.  

But the pity is when they change the costumes for movies it mostly sucks!

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Eyz

My worst problem with these so-called costumen adaptations, is that most movie designers nowadays copy each other's "style" and feel the end to add countless useless details where none were needed (ex: Superman S-texture, Spider-man 100 billion $$$ suit that a kid was supposed to make up all by himself, etc...)

Only 3 characters felt like natural translations to me so far:
Hulk (d'uh!), the Ghost Rider and Iron Man.
The X-Men were pretty okay, though some colours would have been nice (that's a problem with the current "trend" of Hollywood, look at GIJoe and such... Heroes always wear black nowadays making them harder to distinguish from villains sometimes... :/ bleh...)

J1ml33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By J1ml33

well if  Gen 13 was ever made into  a movie I think it would work on some level 
for example Fairchild .

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

hey I think her costume would work out in a film the cos play is somewhat of a a comic book accurate start to a notable character (and also as long as they keep the story true then it looks fair to me ) heck the former wildstorm universe looked some what movie ready .( well if you ask me anyway ) but that is my opinion on the costume subject .
Neon Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#93  Edited By Neon Black

It doesn't really matter if the costumes aren't exactly like the comics as long as they keep to the spirit of it all.

Let their creative juices flowing.  who knows, they might make costume better than the original

Ortep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Ortep

Really like new Spider-man and Caps costumes. Thors just doesn't sit right with me. Can't wait to see the new Superman design though.

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#95  Edited By sweatboy

"  Unfortunately the brightly colored spandex outfits don't always make sense in the real world."  
THAT'S BLASPHEMY!!!!  

Well, i'm from the tropics, i prefer wearing shorts, skinnies, vests, "flip flops",.. so in my opinion (although i LIKED costumes) it sometimes wouldn't make sense,...except for Aquaman and frogsuits. I think Frogsuits are the closest it gets to superhero costumes irl. 
I believe if a hero wears normal clothes 23 hours of the day, a couple hours in spandex dont really matter. Besides, the bat, Supes and other heroes RELY on their costume as a statement. But not everyone NEEDS to be in costume to actually be a hero, (it's not ALWAYS that the clothes make a man) Also, gizmo, (Batman, cyclops, GL, Ironman) 

BTW AS FOR MOVIES,...........COSTUMES PLEASE

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By AskaniSon295

I like what ever make the actors look more Heroic and not just like a cosplayer. The original characters were larger than life and so they should look like that on screen as well. I believe the technology that made the Avatar creatures look real could also enhance certain comicbook characters so that appear more like they do in the books basically digital steroids and a colorist to make sure the light bounces off the costumes properly I am sure in the future this what they will probably do. Anything to make the movies more awesome.

LordTaronji101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#97  Edited By LordTaronji101

there are some comics that you cant do without there comic costumes but there are some that it would look horrible with them

Darth Paul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Darth Paul

I'm all for making the costumes look as close to the comic pages as possible, but no one has mentioned the 1st images of the "X-Men First Class" movie actors in costume. All the yellow and blue, and other bright colored costumes which are more comic accurate than the previous all black X-Men movie costumes look horrible.

Avatar image for emperormeister734
Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

as long as it has certain details on it costumes im there ok with me 

colors and designs and symbols
CaptainRodgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By CaptainRodgers

Anyon know what that Spidey movie pic is , is that don't look like tobey maguire