Off My Mind: Should Superheroes Be Forgiven for Evil Actions While Possessed?

• 88 results
B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By B'Town

Yes, I say forgive them!

I don't know how anyone can ensure they were truly possessed, perhaps turn them over to someone like Xavier to read their minds.

entee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By entee

When Daredevil got "possessed" by the Hand, it was so so ridiculous. It's a good thing that what they're doing right now to Angel isn't so bad, it's actually so interesting seeing the Death persona take over his often rational self.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#53  Edited By cbishop

I think one of the best examples is Savage Dragon being possessed by Horde and wreaking havoc.  The public was outraged, but hey, he turned around and saved the planet later, so all good.
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#54  Edited By The Impersonator
No Caption Provided
Xaviersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Xaviersx

Psychics and/or sorcerer supremes with their charms and amulets of truth. Bad by possession, forgivable just not forgettable.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By PowerHerc

Since someone else was controlling them, their actions while possessed aren't really theirs.

Therefore a hero who was possessed and did terrible things while under said possession should indeed be forgiven.

GLforHIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By GLforHIRE

Hal and Superman

BigBDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By BigBDawg

What I want to know is could this fall into the role with Hal Jordan when Parallax controlled him. Hal seemed to feel he shouldn't be forgiven for what happened with Parallax, even if he wasn't fully in the driver's seat. I bring it up since we're in the discussion of this, and I think if it's not fully the case, can the hero FORGIVE themself?
blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By blur1528

Nah they should brood for a good while and then have to atone for their possessed actions :)

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Larkin1388
@daredevil21134 said:
If its not their fault,its not their fault
well put
Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Video_Martian
@MisterMollusk said:

Possession is stupid. It's just a cop out to have characters do bad things without being "bad". I don't see why heroes can't have weaknesses of character that causes them to make bad decisions. Cough Parallax. Cough.

I COMPLETELY AGREED WITH WHAT U JUST SAID, SIR
Dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Dro

I'm not reading through the entire thread, but I don't have to be a lawyer to point out that you're incorrect in assuming Daredevil's need to prove innocence. He actually would need to be proven guilty without shadow of a doubt to be convicted of criminal activities, because our law code assumes innocence and places the burden of proof on the accuser (this is very, very basic U.S. law that literally every citizen should know).

There's a reason why the odds to be murdered are 1 in 200,000, but the odds of getting away with murder are 1 in 2.

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By perry_411

I only read DC, so could someone explain who these characters are?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#64  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

yup, they should be forgiven, after all most of the time, it isn't their fault

Migz13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Migz13

When I saw this topic I just immediately thought of Dark Phoenix from the Marvel Universe and Parallax-Controlled Hal Jordan of DC.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By They Killed Cap!

As a fan I would say yes...from the persepective of a lowly human who is constantly living in their shadow, I would say no. 
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#67  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

This is kind of a no brainer.How can you blame someone for something they technically didn't do? 

Avatar image for killer_of_trolls
Killer_of_trolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Killer_of_trolls

lol at this stupid logic, I can just take the hand of who ever wrote this crap and make hit him with it while saying: "why are you hitting yourself? why are you hitting yourself?..." untill he understands how pointless this post really is.  

and hay, if he doesn't get it, then he is supposed to punish hisself then according to this logic.
KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By KnightRise
@NightFang said:
@Pokeysteve said:
Little surprised that Hal didn't at least get a mention here. DC gets no love =/
Yeah, Think Hal got it the worst of any body.

I mean hal kinda destroyed reality i thats more than a shame-shame and a slap on the wrist
Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure people talk about the hard recovery of the hero, who once possessed, committed unspeakable acts of evil, but nobody even mentions the bad guy who was forced to do good, while under someone else's control.  What about them?  You think they're getting invited to any League of Evil meetings?  I think not.  How are they supposed to attract new henchmen after saving innocent people from cancer or rescuing kittens?  Get possessed by an ancient entity of light, and you may as well hang up your black cloak, and put away you torture implements, cause nobody is going to take you seriously again.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#71  Edited By cosmo111687

SHUT UP TONY! 

edit: Sorry...I was possessed there for a second...

treysome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By treysome

Well there are bad guys who are now good

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#73  Edited By Cafeterialoca

Diamondback was paralyzed for a few months when she was mind controlled.  Wasn't her fault, but dammit all, she paid the price.
Too bad other heroes don't have to work off their redemption as hard...

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#74  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I personally think that superheroes should be forgiven if they were possessed into doing horrible crimes because how could you blame someone for something they had no control over?  Also, it wouldn't be fair to the superheroes if they were accused of a crime that they didn't really committ or had no control over because they were possessed.  I agree that it would be better if the superhero just had a dark side or had struggling emotions within them that made them do bad things rather than have some sort of evil entity control them into doing bad things because it would make the characters more relatable to the audience if they had internal struggles within their lives and it would have made the characters much more interesting to look at.
Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Raptor

I was really disappointed when  "Shadowland" ended up being a result of possession. Besides not really enjoying much supernatural mumbo jumbo in my Daredevil comics, it felt like a boring copout for what could have been an interesting storyline. 

Murdock has been through more than most superheroes - it would have been interesting to see what could've been done if he actually snapped and was the man behind the events of Shadowland. Of course he'd be forgiven, and the road to getting there could have been classic stuff.

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By undeadpool

I really loved the end of the recent Red Right Hand arc in Wolverine. I'm kinda surprised it wasn't brought up here, but the last issue with the kid whose mom was killed by Wolverine when he was under Hand control was a really poignant reminder of this, ESPECIALLY since that actually happened in-continuity (the image of her getting stabbed was even in the book itself).

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By entropy_aegis

NEVAH.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#78  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Of couse they should... it happens evey few weeks in comicbook land.
Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Joe Venom

If they are simply forgiven for what they did the writer is missing out on a chance at some serious fallout, not to mention having the hero run away is not a very hero like action however can lead to a very interesting story. As far as being forgiven they should never be and always reminded of it DC does an amazing job of this with the Hal Jordan/Parallax story, while death via Wolverine has become more like an "Act of God". Its your fault for getting in his way yet he is welcome to join any team, and might I add Logan's recent storyline was long overdue

Ulyverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ulyverse

Yes, because frankly the character is only being turned "evil" so the writer can has some nice little filler. There are few examples that truly master the whole idea of someone turning evil. And usually when they do, they get turned back again. In-Universe, there's a death plan and revival plan. Shouldn't they be ready to A) Analyse that there's been a possession and then after battle etc. check if it could be long term. B) Just move on but keep track of it, someone in the Marvel Universe like Iron Man for instance could really do something like that. And finally C) Realise a bad guy is OBVIOUSLY going to make them do/say horrible things. 

Out of universe, writers need to stop using it as a get-out-of-jail-free-card. I think Hank Pym being a Skrull is a perfect example of him doing anything out of character and foolish. (Though not EXACTLY possession, it's the idea of someone just using a 'oh! he's actually a villain!' idea).

Dakens son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#81  Edited By Dakens son

it depends on the character. for example
Matt Murdock should be forgiven cause he haven't kill or murder for fun,
you have to be a real scum to be slain by DD.
On the other hand Bucky Burns should be thrown to prison,tortured,whipped and then ride the lightning!!
He was an assassin(brainwashed not possessed!)who killed hundreds just for the rank and then became the cap america!
Just like green goblin who was a criminal and h.a.m.m.e.r.'s director afterwards, Bucky became a heroic icon,at least Norman serves time now.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#82  Edited By The Mast

Yes, obviously.

It's not their fault.

Misterdrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Misterdrc

Yes. Even though saying they were possessed is the easiest excuse a writer can use.

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Paracelsus

hmmm- most criminal jurisprudence systems (at least in the Anglo-Saxon -English speaking- world) recognize the concept of diminished responsibility or extenuating cicrumstances(abusive childhoods, mental defect or domestic violence)in cases of criminal conduct(including murder), but possession(by an outside entity) is a new one. The Church to which Matt Murdock belongs to( Catholic, although this is not usually alluded to in the story), recognizes the possibility of demonic possession but it would be a millennial(no pun intended) milestone if the State's criminal justice system acknowledged such a thing! After all judges and lawyers are NOT intended to be theologians!

Terry

TheSoulstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheSoulstar

Only if they have a good enough publicist.

Crowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Crowman

I like how DD is probably the most tortured soul in the MU, despite Wolverine.
Avatar image for unbreakableburr
unbreakableburr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By unbreakableburr

I don't understand why no one gets the anti-possession tattoos that Sam and Dean have on Supernatural, I would think every hero would have the sense to go to Doctor Strange or Doctor Fate and get hooked up. Or do it on the low with John Constantine.

zanevittorio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By zanevittorio

If they are then they should definitely be forgiven. I mean, it wasn't them doing the deed. True, they may feel terrible and guilty, but IT WASN'T THEM. Now this may seem childish and immature, but superheroes should create a question or code phrase that only the true hero can answer/say to help prove if the hero is possessed, but the possessor may be able to tap into the mind or something. I don't know.... Not too creative with that.