Off My Mind: How Do Superhero Teams Pick Their Leaders?

• 53 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
No Caption Provided

We recently looked at the characteristics every superhero team should have. Another thing we could add to that list is strong leadership. The leader of a team is often the one with the most experience and the one willing to make the right decisions. Not only is the leader responsible for the lives of civilians but they are also responsible for the survival of the team.

There are different things needed for an effective leader. A lot depends on the actual team. How a leader is chosen varies. The role of leadership is something that has to be made clear from the beginning. In the midst of a battle, there can't be room for opposing views at crucial moments.

Team members don't always agree. Often the leadership is questioned. This can cause rifts or schisms in the team and affect their functioning. What is the best solution to avoid this? What is the best way for a team to choose its leader?

== TEASER ==
Is this any way to treat a team member?
Is this any way to treat a team member?

If Batman is on the team, there's really no question who should be leading. This is the guy that spends what little free time he has analyzing tactics and scenarios. He has a contingency plan for everyone. He doesn't have any superpowers but he is capable of telling the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman what to do. He can be a little controlling but he is also willing to take orders from others...if it suits his needs, of course.

Because of his sometimes harsh demeanor, Batman might not always be the best choice to lead a team. Not that there's room for coddling the young and inexperienced but Batman sometimes takes a "one strike and you're out and you suck" approach. There could be potentially great up and coming superheroes that could find that a little discouraging. But when it comes to the lives of others, there really isn't time to hold someone's had to get them to do the right thing.

In other words,
In other words, "Shut up Rick!"
No Caption Provided

The Avengers used to have a chairperson lead the team. They would rotate the leader so that it wasn't always the same person. In other words, it was a way for someone besides Captain America to lead the team all the time. This could be good since it allows others to bear the burden of leadership. Having an elected leader shows there is some unity and agreement over who is best suited.

The problem with this is it may not necessarily lead to the absolute best leader. What if one power-hungry member rallied some of the others to 'vote' for him or her? Not everyone wants to be the leader. Captain America has even stated that it was never his intention to be a leader or a symbol. He just wanted to serve his country. Some heroes are content with taking orders and being told where to go and who to hit.

If an ambitious but ill-suited member convinced others to vote in their favor, it pretty much questions the whole process and the intelligence of the team. Basically if there is a member that would be horrible at being the leader, it shouldn't be possible for that member to become the leader and their place on the team could even be questioned.

No Caption Provided

What if leadership is taken by force? Should there be a battle between candidates to see who is the best or toughest? A team shouldn't be subjected to having the same leader forever. There may come a time when the leader becomes unworthy of leading. Voting may not always bring the best results so it could be best for the likely candidates to square off against each other to see who has what it takes to be the leader.

Then again, there's the possibility a leader could be on a team that would have members challenging the role of leadership on a weekly or daily basis. That could cause problems in trying to actually get something done like saving innocents.

No Caption Provided

Respect is a key to being a successful leader. A lack of respect leads to the cases above where other members think they could do the job better. In some case they might be able to. In most cases, they can't. A lack of believing in your leader weakens the integrity of the team. They will not be able to accomplish their missions or goals if everyone is not on the same page. Unless membership was somehow mandatory, if a member doesn't agree with the team and doesn't want to play by the rules established, they should simply leave. They could try joining another team or organization or even try going solo.

No Caption Provided

Hawkeye wasn't thrilled with the way things were going in the Avengers so he started the West Coast Avengers. Hal Jordan and Green Arrow didn't agree with the way the Justice League of America was handling the villains so they formed their own team.

This is why you don't see many successful villain teams. When they're on their own, they can be formidable opponents. When they try getting together as a team, they start acting like a bunch of jackasses. They all think they're better than each other and refuse to follow the orders of the most powerful or intelligent villain among them. You take the Sith in Star Wars and they can't even have more than two members or else they try killing each other.

The best way for a team to determine the leader is by who is best qualified. They should have already proven their capabilities in leading the team. Members should accept the leader if they intend to be part of the team. Voting or competition trials could be part of the process if a more civil resolution can't be found. For the foolish hero that thinks they don't need to follow the process and feels they can do better, they have the option of trying to do so on their own. Shaking things up can be good once in a while but not when it's at the expense of the progress of the team. There is no "i" in teamwork but there is "tea." The answer could be as simple as settling things over a nice cup of tea.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Nerx

LOL at eminem gardner 

and yeah leaders can shut down their teammates if they are too ambitious

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NightFang3

It always comes down the the smartest or powerfulest member becomes leader.

b3n8m3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By b3n8m3
@NightFang: How do you figure? Beast is smarter than Cyc and meny of the other X-Men are arguably more powerful. And Cap is far from the most intelligent or most powerful. Batman is easily more intelligent than Supes
Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ashra

Damn.  Robin got b*tch-slapped. 

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Eyz

That Guy Gardner XD

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I know that Originally Iron Man was the team leader of the Avengers, probably because they were using his house for their base and his money as funding.  But then Captain America came into the picture, and while he was totally willing to follow orders, because of his experience he gradually became the leader.
Cyclops was picked by Xavier to become his second in command of the X-Men, and was trained to become the next Xavier down the road.
Not sure about the JLA, but since Superman is everyone's favorite and most trusted hero on DC's Earth then it would be natural to make him leader, plus he is a great hero with experience.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@NightFang said:
It always comes down the the smartest or powerfulest member becomes leader.

wrong. 

HannibalKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HannibalKing

I'd follow Superman over Batman.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jubilee042

storm is the best leader of the x men

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FearTheLiving

I always liked to think that whoever was best suited for the mission at hand would lead the team. Example Stealth (Black Panther or Hawkeye) Strength (Superman, Captain America) ect. 

Obviously I don't think that would apply for all missions though, so I prefer the voting style of the Avengers over the others.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Decept-O

Guy Gardner sure is cheeky.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HellionVulcan

I think most have to prove themselves through good decision making & so forth but the storm bit was hilarious as she beat cyke down .

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chalkshark

Hawkeye didn't establish the West Coast branch of the Avengers. The Vision did. It was also the Vision that put Hawkeye in charge of the team. Just saying. 

As far as issues of leadership go, generally speaking, there tends to be one member of any given team that stands out as the logical choice for the team to rally around, & thus, the issue of leadership doesn't always come up. Robin has, traditionally, been the natural choice for leader of the Teen Titans. Cyclops was chosen as field leader of the X-Men, & in Xavier's absence,  was the obvious choice to fully take the reins of the team. The Defenders tended to face mystical threats, so even though Sub-Mariner was the logical choice for leader, the team, & Namor, tended to defer to Dr. Strange, who had the greater experience in dealing with the threats at hand. Even Thor wouldn't argue that Captain America is the leader for The Avengers, though Thor, Iron Man, The Vision, The Wasp, Black Widow, Hank Pym, & Captain Marvel have all served in that capacity with honor. Honestly, I'd like to see the Black Panther head up the team, one day. Can't believe it's never happened. 

My favorite selection method has  been the one used by the Legion of Super-Heroes. The editors have always just let the fans decide, which has forced the writer of the book into some interesting corners over the years, which has tended to make for some good reading. 

Zuckuss_02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zuckuss_02

I'd b*tch slap Robin too just for wearing those daisy dukes.

Avatar image for ultimate_miracleman
Ultimate_MiracleMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bye bye bats...best f u ever

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joe Venom

I never really agreed with Storm being a leader, now hear me out I'm not B-rating her leadership abilities or that she is woman its just that given her power set of "Flight" and "Godlike control over Weather" it does not seem that she can properly lead the team given many scenario's.

When a team ends up somewhere new or unfamiliar the Flier is usually sent up to get a layout of the land or be the "eye in the sky" although it's possible, giving orders from the air is not very efficient. If things ever get real ugly her power can hold off/distract a small army while the team re-groups or give the team a chance to evacuate.

I don't know it just seems like making her a leader would only hold her back from being a real asset to the team, I do like Rogue as team leader with her no longer in possession of Ms. Marvel powers and maintaining better use of hers, leadership seems like the perfect place for her (that is when she is not getting uncomfortably close to Magneto ~Eww~).

Enderof295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Enderof295

Is it me or does Superman have kind of a creepy look on his face while looking towards Guy's rear?
SleepyDrug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SleepyDrug
@chalkshark said:

Hawkeye didn't establish the West Coast branch of the Avengers. The Vision did. It was also the Vision that put Hawkeye in charge of the team. Just saying. 

As far as issues of leadership go, generally speaking, there tends to be one member of any given team that stands out as the logical choice for the team to rally around, & thus, the issue of leadership doesn't always come up. Robin has, traditionally, been the natural choice for leader of the Teen Titans. Cyclops was chosen as field leader of the X-Men, & in Xavier's absence,  was the obvious choice to fully take the reins of the team. The Defenders tended to face mystical threats, so even though Sub-Mariner was the logical choice for leader, the team, & Namor, tended to defer to Dr. Strange, who had the greater experience in dealing with the threats at hand. Even Thor wouldn't argue that Captain America is the leader for The Avengers, though Thor, Iron Man, The Vision, The Wasp, Black Widow, Hank Pym, & Captain Marvel have all served in that capacity with honor. Honestly, I'd like to see the Black Panther head up the team, one day. Can't believe it's never happened.  My favorite selection method has  been the one used by the Legion of Super-Heroes. The editors have always just let the fans decide, which has forced the writer of the book into some interesting corners over the years, which has tended to make for some good reading. 

Well said
Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Osiris1428

Looking at this article, something comes to mind: Why would Wolverine come to mind as an option to lead the X-Men proper over others in this 'Schism' thing?? Wolverine has always been a loner. I understand him being the leader of The Uncanny X-Force because that is a black-ops wet works team. I wouldn't put Beast as head of a team like that. The popularity of Wolverine has gotten to the point where Marvel just scrambles to accommodate those fans, even when what has been previously established about that character is that he isn't the leader type. When it comes to the plight of mutants, I would think that Storm or Beast should step up to the plate and challenge Scott for leadership. Storm has done it before. Can someone explain that? 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

I like the ending summary!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@HannibalKing:  

I'd follow Superman over Batman

i slapped my own partner IMAGINE what i'll do to you.....
 i slapped my own partner IMAGINE what i'll do to you.....
Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this article shows why Cyclops is the best qualified to lead the X-Men. With Storm, Wolverine and other temporary leaders of the team, there was a lot of inconsistency based upon their personal feelings (and frequent needs to go take care of their own business). Cyclops not only has the best tactical and strategic abilities of the team, but in many ways he has taught most of the team to the level of skill they currently are at.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By IrishX
@G-Man: 

"
What is the best way for a team to choose its leader?" - Find Captain America. 

"Captain America has even stated that it was never his intention to be a leader or a symbol." - That's one of the reasons why he's the best man for the job.

@Osiris1428
: I've posted it before but I might as well again.... 

"Cyclops is the X-Men's leader and Logan doesn't want to assume his position. It's not his natural instinct. This book isn't about Wolverine coming in and suddenly deciding to lead his own branch of the X-Men. This story is really about a falling out between Scott and Logan and what brings that about. They find themselves at a real crossroads in their relationship and the differences that come between them pushes each of them in a very different direction." - Jason Aaron 

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

Is this from JLA: Tower of babel"? 
No, it's not from Tower of Babel, but I'd like to know what it IS from. That's fricking hilarious.
Avatar image for blueninjapanther
blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By blueninjapanther

I think Batman has great being a leader
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@The Mighty Monarch:  

No, it's not from Tower of Babel, but I'd like to know what it IS from. That's fricking hilarious.

Green Lantern Corps: Recharge #1
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gravitypress

Leadership is generally decided by confidence, cool under pressure, and tactics

illmatic06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By illmatic06
@chalkshark
Black Panther briefly led the Fantastic Four in Reed's and Sue's absense.
MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By MrUnknown

That was a nice end there. This has to be my favorite off my mind article. Great job!

ndm5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ndm5
@Enderof295
YES LMAO, i had to check it again, then i pee'd myself laughing
Migz13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Migz13

The leaders are usually the smartest, the most powerful or the most experienced. Oh, and they usually have the coolest super powers in the bunch. Kinda like Batman, because having nothing but skill is more than super. LOL

sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sa5m

I believe you are born the leader =)

Avatar image for marshal_victory
Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Marshal Victory

I just figured the heroes would thumb wrestle for it. Jello optional.
thorwhore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thorwhore

The only person I'd listen to would be Cap. He is named "Captain" America for a reason.
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By castleking

general consensus or whoever is footing the bill.

webling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By webling
@Decept-O said:

Guy Gardner sure is cheeky.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Haha, I guess the moon was out that night when Guy was letting Bats know how he felt for him leaving.  As for all that was said, its true, the best leader is the one who can do the job best.  In the end though I think superheroes tend to have egos in of themselves about leadership and loyalty. After all, if I'm not mistaken sometime around Final Crisis or the end of it, I believe Dinah Lance, who was Chairwoman of the JLA, discovered the "secret" room that the Trinity held meetings in and was personally offended.  Obviously they did not trust her enough if they were having meetings even she was not aware of.  Point being that its real darn hard to pick a leader that everyone wants to follow or will unabashedly trust.  I dare not even go into the situation with JSA and how Magog essentially challenged Karen Starr's leadership of the group which led to its splintering.  That is to be expected anymore though, after all this isn't the Golden Age where everything is shangri-la. 

Avatar image for emperormeister734
Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

Each team has two leaders , if something happens to that one : death, retirement, M.I.A. ETC. he or she second in command will takeover. Let's not forget there's always  a power struggles, big fight on who should lead the groups to save the world, whoever loses the fight to command usually becomes a traitor to the group and plans revenge

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By JonesDeini

I've always believed the most balanced individual should lead. I think in GOOD super hero teams that the person most naturally and best suited to take the rains in a given organization does so. That is of course unless the editors/writer has an agenda to push a certain character cough, Schism, cough!!!

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By difficlus
@PhoenixoftheTides said:
I think this article shows why Cyclops is the best qualified to lead the X-Men. With Storm, Wolverine and other temporary leaders of the team, there was a lot of inconsistency based upon their personal feelings (and frequent needs to go take care of their own business). Cyclops not only has the best tactical and strategic abilities of the team, but in many ways he has taught most of the team to the level of skill they currently are at.
i agree
midnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By midnightmare

Most of the times is better divide the work between 2 or more members because expecting one of them being the best in every aspect is to much. In the Winik Outsiders Nightwing was field leader and in batle his comand was absolute, but Arsenal was like the unoficial chairman, since he did the day to day work to run the team and was the one who selected the members. In the Young Justice and Avengers EMH tv series they have show why someone can or can't be a good leader, but if they do like in the Legion of superheroes tv, where leadership was rotated and Bouncing boy was elected just because was his turn, then they could be firming their death sentences.

So, if the best tactician is the combat leader, the most skilled fighter is combat trainer, the one whith the best reputation is the spoke person, etc., the team can work better.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By CATPANEXE
@Osiris1428 said:
Looking at this article, something comes to mind: Why would Wolverine come to mind as an option to lead the X-Men proper over others in this 'Schism' thing?? Wolverine has always been a loner. I understand him being the leader of The Uncanny X-Force because that is a black-ops wet works team. I wouldn't put Beast as head of a team like that. The popularity of Wolverine has gotten to the point where Marvel just scrambles to accommodate those fans, even when what has been previously established about that character is that he isn't the leader type. When it comes to the plight of mutants, I would think that Storm or Beast should step up to the plate and challenge Scott for leadership. Storm has done it before. Can someone explain that? 
The Schism is something that's been present in the X-Men team for some time, being that students either followed Cyclops as their field leader like they were told too, or they gravitated
to Wolverine given his rebel nature and strength of character being more comfortable. In essence Wolverine onto himself isn't a good choice for a leader, but his position in everything
around him causes him to be one others will naturally follow the lead of.
zero6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zero6

looking at the x-men, cyclops has been their leader for the longest time but some of his actions make him look like an uncaring commander and that's also sometimes how he acts. wolverine isn't always a team player since he's always been more of a solo act but when he leads a team he doesnt act heartless like cyclops and the same can be said for storm when she lead the x-men. i think that there should be at least 2 leaders but that could lead to power struggles...

Shieldbearer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shieldbearer
@kfhrfdu_89_76k

The mooning is from Green Lantern Corp Recharge miniseries or Volume 1.
WonderBoy1132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WonderBoy1132

FANTASTIC article!

Poor Robin

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Mbecks14

I believe Barry Allen/Flash was the Justice League's original chairperson. Not Superman

Cervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By Cervantes
@Joe Venom said:

I never really agreed with Storm being a leader, now hear me out I'm not B-rating her leadership abilities or that she is woman its just that given her power set of "Flight" and "Godlike control over Weather" it does not seem that she can properly lead the team given many scenario's.

When a team ends up somewhere new or unfamiliar the Flier is usually sent up to get a layout of the land or be the "eye in the sky" although it's possible, giving orders from the air is not very efficient. If things ever get real ugly her power can hold off/distract a small army while the team re-groups or give the team a chance to evacuate.

I don't know it just seems like making her a leader would only hold her back from being a real asset to the team, I do like Rogue as team leader with her no longer in possession of Ms. Marvel powers and maintaining better use of hers, leadership seems like the perfect place for her (that is when she is not getting uncomfortably close to Magneto ~Eww~).

This. And double ~Eww~
AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AlKusanagi

A good leader needs both charisma and a willingness to not give orders he wouldn't carry out himself, which makes Cap the best. Cyclops, on the other hand, has the charisma of a rock and is a hypocritical jerkface.

Rhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rhi

Rock, paper, scissors? Mutiny? Thumb wrestling? A battle to the death? Picking straws?

All of these seem like really good options!