Off My Mind: Are Audiences Finally Sick of Superhero Movies?

• 188 results
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

no, some people just like complaining about anything

zzax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By zzax

I don't think people are tired of Super hero movies. Perhaps they are gun shy after seeing some duds. But that is not necessarily a bad thing, it puts pressure on the movie studios to have to make a quality product. Think back a few years before the boom of these types of movies; if i heard there was a super hero movie coming out I was going to go no matter what. Just the excitement of seing our favorite comics on the screen made us eager enough to buy a ticket. 

But now because of the abundance of them and after sitting through a movie like Wolverine; I feel like I would rather be more more careful with my choices. I now have the luxury of sitting back and going to see the movies in the genre that look well made. I would not say that makes someone over the genre, just more selective as Spinal Tap might say. 

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Vitality

"Finally Sick of..."? 

You say that like they should be sick of them. 

What's with the staff members of this site being against comic book Tv shows and movies? 
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By gravitypress

Hero movies are still freshish but Hollywood does over saturate the market with other genres so 20 years from now we will be begging them to move on.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By Samimista

I'm personally not but if other people are I blame Hollywood for releasing so many superhero movies in a year.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Sobe Cin
@welshguy said:
With the third Nolan Batman, the zach snyder superman and spider-man's "extreme" highschool adventures (sorry for being flippant but i don't like the sound of that reboot) I don't see comic movies falling out of favour just yet. Thor was a success (though not in Iron man levels I believe) and a bloody good film; First Class didn't interest me on teeny bit and Green Lantern... maybe it just looked too wierd for the masses to engage with.So long as the third Batman does well I do not foresee the demise of comic movies just yet. If it makes the same amount of cash that (in my opinion) the overlong, dull and rather overrated Dark Knight did, the studios will remain in love with comic movies.

I have to say Batman is anomoly here. Since the character's inception there has always been some form of the character in mainstream media in pretty much almost every decade. From the Batman serials to the 1960's television show, various cartoons over its long span and not to mention 6 movies since 1989. Batman is a comic book that is able to sell itself no matter what format. I believe even when the comic book movies fade, we will still have Batman being adapted. 

As for X-Men: First Class- if you haven't seen the movie go and watch it. A lot of people have been desensitized regarding the x-men after (The Last Stand and Wolverine). I was one of them but was still interested in watching X-Men. My dad doesn't like comic books, and he has been disappointed in the movies based upon them, but he loved X-Men: First Class. Because it was a movie that had super heroes in it- much like the Dark Knight and Batman Begins. 

Thor was a disappointment- Loki was great and the cameo from Hawkeye was worth seeing the movie for, overall it was not that well done. IT had too much going on and not enough to drive the film, the same could be said for Green Lantern. Outside of Kilowog who is awesome no matter the format, I was not happy with the movie- although it was still better than Wolverine. And leagues above Catwoman.
MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By MrMazz

No they are not. Lets all agree the general public aren't complete idoits who go see anything. Transformers RotF has had a bigger opening and so far made just a bit more money than Dark of the Moon. Why because T2 sucked ass and it burned people I had a free tickect and didnt even go see that movie.

Hulk, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four we can all agree those movies suck.Is the Directors cut of DD better yea but theatrical is what counts.

Hollywood not bringing panels like Avengers and Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel isn't a sign Hollywood is losing faith in comics. Avengers and DKR are filming right now or during the event and stopping production would cost money and be ineffective marketing since they wouldn't have anything to show really. I don't know wahts up with Man of Steel i did see some set photos so i think its filming. You could also argue that A these films don't really need to be at comc con since they are going to make bank no matter what. Also hollywood could be weary of the comic con effect of getting nerds hype about your movie and than it fails at the box offices see(Scott Pilgrim, and Sucker Punch)

Green Lantern hasn't made a lot of money domestically becasue of bad word of mouth it dropped like X3 did in its second week everyone saw it and was like well this movie sucks adn said don't see it.

First Class has been a good sucess according to boxofficemojo $335,993,073 on a 50 million budget.

Will audiences grow tired of comic films eventually same thing happens with the western and comedy than something happens and they are back.

Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Kid_Zombie
@Rudyftw said:
When will audiences get tired of horror movies? How about chick flicks? Action movies?
Well actually the market has worked like this for decades. Every movie was Westerns forever, people got sick of them. 80's was slashers, people got sick of them. Are there still these movies? Yup but not nearly as much, and it wasent until 310 to yuma came out critics were asking if this was the return of western? Just like scream was the return of slashers in the 90's. So it is possible the movie going public gets sick of superheroes and they die down. but you are right they wont die out completely. No genera does.  If the movies are done well it will take longer for them to die down, but it will eventually happen. we might get one a year instead of 4 or 5. 

There is so much non superhero come book movies that it will never die down. superheroes might but translations from comics wont. Has translations from books ever die down? nope.
sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By sa5m

I do not feel sick of them

obscurefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#60  Edited By obscurefan

It's not so much that they're sick of them, it's that they're burned out by them. We have four super hero movies coming out this summer, can you name four romantic comedies coming out this summer, or four just plain regular action movies or horror films? It's a bit much is all. That and they are now such a part of our regular viewing experience that we're only going to go and see the good ones, which explains the massive drop that Green Lantern has suffered.

TwistedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TwistedGamer

am i the only one who liked the last hulk movie? i come to this site and everyone seems to hate it...

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#62  Edited By lorex

I would say the market is fully saturated with comic book based characters. In the past a comic inspired movie would draw in all the comic book geeks due the the novelty, this summer there have been so many the real comic book fans don't feel the need to see them all, and the average movie goer is only going to go to a movie they think is good(cool). I think comic book inspired movies should have a regular place in the box office but not so many each year, not that movie executives will listen, they will ride the comic book wave till it crashes and then we won't get any more for a while.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By phrosnite

I kind of am... Still haven't seen X-men: First Class, Thor and Greenlantern(apparently it's very bad),

Neverpraying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By Neverpraying

Still waiting to see how the next batman goes here.

cap_a_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By cap_a_rules

yes 3D comic movie stinks but green grantern was really bad, the acting the good but the story line bad this was because of WB they did this to jona hex too.
Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Nova`Prime`

You can't really compare comic book movies/tv shows to vampire movies/tv shows. With one you have just the one genre and fan base, with comics you have a multitude of genres and with that have a much larger audience appeal. I think the continuation of comic movies really depends on giving the masses variety and not just the same old characters and things.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By Joe Venom

@The Stegman said:

no, some people just like complaining about anything
Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#68  Edited By Maki_P

As long as movies are good, there shouldn't be a problem. The problem with vampires is not so much that there are too many, but that most of it is crap. If Superhero Movies are not crap they should entertain your regular moviegoer,

Technoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By Technoman
@nnotdead said:

Thor made $440,000,000 and Green Lantern made $240,000,000. seems like a lot of people are going to these films. sure GL may not have done the numbers they wanted, but that has more to do with the crappy looking early trailers and mediocre reviews it received. Thor did seem to get a lot more positive buzz.  actually planning to go see Cap, so i hope it ends up being good.

Actually, GL is still in debt.  
@welshguy
said:

With the third Nolan Batman, the zach snyder superman and spider-man's "extreme" highschool adventures (sorry for being flippant but i don't like the sound of that reboot) I don't see comic movies falling out of favour just yet. Thor was a success (though not in Iron man levels I believe) and a bloody good film; First Class didn't interest me on teeny bit and Green Lantern... maybe it just looked too wierd for the masses to engage with.So long as the third Batman does well I do not foresee the demise of comic movies just yet. If it makes the same amount of cash that (in my opinion) the overlong, dull and rather overrated Dark Knight did, the studios will remain in love with comic movies.

People disliked GL because it was a bad movie, although X-Men: First Class was x-cellent and highly acclaimed. 
@Battlepig said: 
Basically, whether or not people will grow tired of superhero movies can be boiled down to one point. And this point is the story. The better a story you're telling, the less people will tire of it. Don't hide behind the effects and abandon this constant one-upping the previous movie, like Spidey II had to have two villains   
It only had one, Doc Ock. 
@moncole said: 
I want them to be for fans and not family movies 
Unfortunately, they just wouldn't turn a big enough profit. 
 @twistedgamer said: 

am i the only one who liked the last hulk movie? i come to this site and everyone seems to hate it...

They were probably talking about Aang Lee's hulk, not the latest The Incredible Hulk with Ed Norton.
Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By Penguin-Dust

The problem in my opinion is that too many of them are too alike.  Costumed guys and gal beating up other weird looking people.  Comics are more than just DC/Marvel so I'd like to see something a bit more creative adapted for the big screen.  The downside, though is anything that costs a lot of money to make, needs to be as risk-free as the studios can manage.  That means reasonably well-known properties otherwise you get good movies that don't make money like Scott Pilgrim

I think people are getting burned out on the sameness of every superhero movie.  I doubt the genre will go father past the next line up of Dark Knight and Avengers flicks.   Too much of the same thing, even if it's a good thing, can be fatiguing.

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71  Edited By Maki_P

Avengers should be different, if only because most characters already got their origin story

msavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By msavo

As someone not into comics yes I am sick of them. I am also sick of videogame movies and movies adapted from books. I want some originality.

SupahGiggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SupahGiggles

Whether they make loads of money or not, these movies will always have some type of audience. Mainly us. Me personally, I will always feel obligated to watch every comic movie that comes out, no matter how bad it gets. It comes with the title of 'geek.'
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By gravitypress
@MrMazz: "Lets all agree the general public aren't complete idoits who go see anything."

I cant agree to this.
Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I think the furor among general audiences will eventually cool, as it does with any cinematic genre or trend. However, true comic fans will always be willing to give the latest superhero movie a fair shot, and I think that's why we're seeing a diminished presence at the conventions: the studios know we're going to see the films, so they want to focus their promotional efforts on casual viewers, those that may be on the fence and need a little prodding.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

People WANT to see a GOOD/AWESOME superhero movie. They want it true to the source material, moviee goers just want to see their favorite heroes on the screen like they remember them 

and secondly they want to see a GOOD movie overall. 
So doen't matter if there is a dude in a mask or not, just make i good and fans will be happy

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Icon

I've never understood this argument. Why would they be sick of comic book movies? Because Green Lantern sucked? One bad movie and the whole genre is now over?

I never hear anyone say the romantic comedy is dead after a bad romantic comedy comes out (and there are far more of those types of movies), only when a bad superhero film does.

No, audiences are not sick of these movies, they just respond better to the good ones. And that's true of most genres.

Also, there is a difference between comic book movies and superhero movies as not all comic book adaptations involve superheroes. 300, Ghost World, Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, Adventures of Tintin, all comic book movies but certainly not superhero movies. Comics involve almost every genre and can be source material for a wide range of adaptations. Superheroes are their own thing.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@Icon: I approve this post.

My own opinion is that if anyone gets sick of Superhero movies it'll be the Comicbook fans who simply cant get over the fact that the movies are not going to follow the comics word for word.
Urthiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#79  Edited By Urthiln

A huge reason there are so many Super hero movies now is because of the way technology has evolved allowing people to do more to make those movies happen while being huge eye candy.  That's a big reason for a surge in comic films, a few hit the ground running and once people saw how well they did the flood gates opened.  People will get tired soon, but I think there is still another summer before that happens.  Maybe once the Avengers movie is out and finished that will mark the end of the present Super Hero movie era.

Migz13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Migz13

I think in today's times, the SuperHero movie genre has become more than just a gimmick but a whole new kind of movie in its own right. I don't think it would wane sooner or later but rather refresh itself in a number of ways that would make it more and more marketable outside the comic book reading community.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Jordanstine
@nnotdead said:
Thor made $440,000,000 and Green Lantern made $240,000,000. seems like a lot of people are going to these films. sure GL may not have done the numbers they wanted, but that has more to do with the crappy looking early trailers and mediocre reviews it received. Thor did seem to get a lot more positive buzz.  actually planning to go see Cap, so i hope it ends up being good.
Where did you get those numbers for Green Lantern?  That's far from the truth.

Right now it only stands at $138,000,000 worldwide.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm

And I don't agree that the public is sick of superhero movies.

Don't blame one bad banana (Green Lantern <- click to ready why) as the reason for the consensus that the public is now sick of superhero movies, because that is not true. 

No Caption Provided

Two years from now, five years from now, people will always flock to see Batman and Iron Man, etc.
banunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By banunn

I have to jump in and exclaim that, No! I am not sick at all of comic book movies. I do however believe that in some ways The Dark Knight was damaging to the comic book film industry. In my thoughts, comic book movies do not have to be multi-level masterpieces. The Dark Knight was in many ways, and I think that the resulting expectations of comic movie fans have become far too high. I went into the Green Lantern and left dieing for a sequal. I expected to be entertained and I was. I love comic book movies, the day that they die off will be a sad time indeed.

vprvnmsrt10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By vprvnmsrt10

Must say I am loving all the superhero movies. Put a smile on my face. A geek like me will always be happy with more superhero movies. People just need to stop taking these movies too seriously. You can never expect them to be as good as the comics.

Just watch it on it's own merit and you will end up having more fun.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Icon

@Gambler said:

@Icon: I approve this post.

My own opinion is that if anyone gets sick of Superhero movies it'll be the Comicbook fans who simply cant get over the fact that the movies are not going to follow the comics word for word.

Yeah, QFT

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By dbz1995
@LB70145 said:
The movie viewing public is sick of bad movies not super hero movies. Green Lantern caught flak not because it was a super hero movie but because it was a BAD movie. If movies are good people will go and see them super heroes or not. 
This guy speaks the truth. Lantern hasn't done too well because it is a bad film from most aspects. Transformers: DOTM was in my opinion very good in terms of what I call the 'lazyviewer experience', with some good sound and visual stuff going on. Thor did good because it was a good film, and X-Men: First Class did good because it was a good film (though in my opinion it should have done better).
Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#86  Edited By Obsurity

I think they're tired of bad ones such as FF4, Ghost Rider and apparently Green Lantern. I think due to the sucess of Iron Man. Producers as well as movie viewers are expecting that kind of "quality" and sucess. It's a big let down when it's not. 

Then the script and characters that are chosen for said films. Characters that may seem obsure might keep potential viewers away. I spoke with a coworker about Green Lantern. She said she would refused to go because the Green Lantern character/idea seemed retarded. A space cop that makes green colored stuff from his ring blah blah.... As for the script it can only stick to it's source material so much. If it deviates too much such as X-men First Class it could alienate comic industry niche fan base
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By difficlus

Green Lantern was a big epic fail. its understandable why it made so little.  
X-Men was excellent but...i think people overseas were too distracted by other films like Pirates (which is making over a billion worldwide). 
Btw you forgot that there's a Fantastic Four reboot coming our way. 

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Chris2KLee

I think there's room for them as along as the quality remains strong. Big budget FX movies have been taking in less in general in the domestic market, but continue to do well worldwide.

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#89  Edited By Cafeterialoca

Really?!  People wanted to see "Robots you can't tell apart and Screaming Shia LeBeuf" 3?!
Also, Superman reboot and Spider-Man reboot are unnecessary.  Of course it'll die out cause of these!

Avatar image for bearded_justice
Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Bearded Justice

Comic book movies will never fully leave your house.  I'm sorry, but you've already let them in, and they are thinking to themselves, "Why even bother leaving?  I'll just be back again later."  You might be able to nudge them close to the door, but let's not kid ourselves, they aren't leaving for good. 

On a side note, Captain America will not only be called one of the greatest (if not the greatest) comic book movie to date, it will also make a mountain of money.
Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By Wolverine0628
@Bearded Justice: I agree.  Superhero movies are here to stay!  And I hope you're right about Captain America.
huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By huser
@LB70145 said:
The movie viewing public is sick of bad movies not super hero movies. Green Lantern caught flak not because it was a super hero movie but because it was a BAD movie. If movies are good people will go and see them super heroes or not. 
Problem is the crew at Comicvine or at least the ones on the podcast, didn't think Green Lantern was bad. So the most obvious answer for it's lackluster success doesn't register. As comic fans the second most obvious answer, a blockbuster set around a space cop with a strange color fetish taking orders from big headed blue aliens probably doesn't have the broadest casual appeal also doesn't register. 

Which is the REAL lesson since the first is so obvious (though not always accurate). It's why Scott Pilgrim was such a bomb. The studio was looking for a blockbuster when they should have planned (and budgeted) for something that was a more modest success.
Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Seems to me that superhero/comic flicks have been suffering from a ridiculously high bar that was set in 2008 by the Dark Knight.  It seems all the superhero flicks since then have been trying to match the success of that movie and Nolan's impeccable slant on the Caped Crusader has been shown to be effective for moviegoers.  Maybe he should be considered the mob boss of superhero flicks then for his success thus far...but then again lets wait and see how Dark Knight Rises does too.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Marshal Victory
@Bearded Justice
I think your right.For many resons other than as a fan of cap.Well see, but box office took a dump this month .seen some posts but um seriuosly poeple need to just look at the numbers. 

thor 
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=thor.htm 
cost 150million  world wide atm made $439,751,162     

thats not a failure by any means . 

green lantern 
 http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenlantern.htm 
cost 200mill +   wold wide atm made
$137,993,629 

you can say that is but not thor. 

green hornet   
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=greenhornet.htm 
cost 120mill  wold wide atm made $227,817,248 

you can say it failed but it made a profit plus we all forget the money form tv , pay per veiw an dvd/blue ray sales. 

kick-ass 
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=kickass.htm 
cost 30mill  worldwide atm made $96,188,903

thats a good investment when you can triple your money.  

Its rather simple dont blame a super heroes films for failing when only one has so far.Haw many spy movies do you want? Horror?Pirates?The only people in forums i read who bitch about their being to many super hero movies are those who would not got to them to begin with. 

Has any one heard "omg give me more of the Kings speech!"If you have odds are its same one who would say theirs to much super hero movies.

sky-pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By sky-pirate

X-Men First Class is really X-Men 5. And it's been my experience that franchises dry up around the second sequel, people get tired off them. So, there it's really more a matter of people being tired off the X-Men franchise (the fastest way to get bored, is after all, to tell the same joke over and over again). And Green Lantern, well, it's not a good movie to begin with. That's why it's failing, not because people are tired off superhero movies. But, because this movie isn't any good.
BlackRoseTessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By BlackRoseTessa

combook films have been going on for years not just the recent ones , manthing was the worst marvel based one lol . i kinda liked gl , it felt like a gl film , unlike many of the others , ie cat woman , gr , yeah comic films muight die down for a while but then you will get a new batman or super man and it will start up again like it has done before
Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Jordanstine
@huser said:

@LB70145 said:

Problem is the crew at Comicvine or at least the ones on the podcast, didn't think Green Lantern was bad. So the most obvious answer for it's lackluster success doesn't register. As comic fans the second most obvious answer, a blockbuster set around a space cop with a strange color fetish taking orders from big headed blue aliens probably doesn't have the broadest casual appeal also doesn't register.   Which is the REAL lesson since the first is so obvious (though not always accurate). It's why Scott Pilgrim was such a bomb. The studio was looking for a blockbuster when they should have planned (and budgeted) for something that was a more modest success.
Really!?

Would you happen to have a link to this ComicVine podcast?

I would love to hear what they were saying and how they defended the quality of this film.

Green Lantern's Script - Plot Holes recapped by the Power of Common Sense

HannibalKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By HannibalKing

I don't mind if the majority of people think Green Lantern was a bad movie, but is it really so bad that some of us actually liked the film? Or do our opinions not count like some would have us believe?

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Jordanstine
@HannibalKing said:
I don't mind if the majority of people think Green Lantern was a bad movie, but is it really so bad that some of us actually liked the film? Or do our opinions not count like some would have us believe?
I enjoyed Superman Returns though understood why a lot of people didn't like it.  Got to watch it numerous times since and it's actually my least favorite Superman movie, including Superman III.

Of course your opinion counts, just like votes in the the voting system of our country. Think of your movie as a legal proposition like Prop 87 or something.  So your voice was heard, but a lot more people's voices have spoken and they didn't like Proposition Green Lantern, which was the reason for it's disastrous flop in the box office.
ecm1285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By ecm1285

Once I see a good Daredevil movie, then they can stop....and maybe JLA