Nova gold helmets vs SuperNovas/ black helmets discussion.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

So I keep getting the same question asked to me in the forums…what do you think about Sam Alexander? I think it’s a fair question to ask giving that Richard Rider is still my favorite character. And I think it’s a good idea to make this thread not only to explain what I think about the Black Novas helmets /SuperNovas and Sam being the new Nova, but to try to put an end to the gold helmets vs Black helmets, the Rich vs Sam fighting.

As far as a fan base goes…the Nova fan base is in the minority. But, the Nova fan base is also one of the most loyal fan base in comics. This loyalty is both a good and a bad thing. Good because all fan bases strive to have a loyal following, but bad because the loyalty that many Richard Rider fans have is hurting the current Nova ongoing series. I will be honest, I wasn’t totally on bored with a new Nova taking the mantle, especially after Richard had to work is was up from his early days of being in the New Warriors to being one of the more respected characters in the late 2000s. The character became a center point for a events, stories and anything that would happen in the cosmic world. So I can understand the anger many Nova fans have. I was one of them. But you know what? I gave the series a chance. I gave the character a chance. And you know what? I see a lot of Richard in Sam.

For those who are true, hardcore, followers of the Nova series know that what the Nova corps stand for and the only way to put the true meaning of what it means to be a Nova is to quote Rhomann Dey

“Exactly. You are ordinary. You are also loyal, trustworthy, and plainspoken. The corps always recruits individuals who best represent the typical qualities of their species. We find they make the best centurions. They bring no arrogance or pride with them, no self-importance, or elitism. They understand Responsibility. They appreciate the trust, they embrace the duty. They are the honest bedrock of the corps ”.

Richard displayed the core principles and values of the Nova corps from day one when he gained the Nova force. And guess what? Those same values are found in Sam. Every time I read Sam’s book and see him take responsibilities for his actions, care for other individuals and he is starting to develop into a noble Nova, I think to myself…Richard would be proud of him being a Nova.

I know it’s not easy. Trust me as a loyal Richard Rider fan, it took me a while to warm up to Sam and the black helmets. But when I did…Oh man did I ever come to enjoy the book. Sam’s series, while not as mature as Richard’s stories of being Nova prime, are fun, adventures, and has a great background to the black helmets. (Speaking about maturity of the book, it gets better once you catch up to the Original Sin tie ins).

I will close by saying this. Like I mentioned earlier. Being a Nova fan means you’re in the minority. I know it’s not easy supporting a new character that takes the mantle from Richard, but you have to give the character and the book a chance. If you don’t enjoy it, that’s fine, but all I’m asking is if you’re are a fan of the Nova series, don’t let something as your pride and loyalty for Richard get in the way of enjoying reading this current series. Besides, Richard isn’t forgotten. There are moments when he is shown in reference and trust me, you will get goose bumps when you see those moments.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@humanrocket: Very nice write-up. I haven't read any of the new series yet. I figure I will read it all eventually whenever it goes on sale on Comixology. But, to be honest, I don't have much interest in Sam at this point. I have never been a big fan of teen heroes and really only because a fan of Rider whenever he really grew up during Annihilation through Thanos Imperative. Whenever I do end up reading the new Nova series, it will probably be more for just reading about what happened Rich, Worldmind, Black helmets, etc. as opposed to Sam himself.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ShadowSwordmaster

@humanrocket: This was a fantastic read good sir and Iike the quote from Rey too.

I have starting read about Nova was from the Annahilation trades to be honest but I always like the character but when I read the new Nova series with Sam Alexander could see some stuff that you mention too.I might get hounded for this but I like Sam as munch as Richard .

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: Very nice write-up. I haven't read any of the new series yet. I figure I will read it all eventually whenever it goes on sale on Comixology. But, to be honest, I don't have much interest in Sam at this point. I have never been a big fan of teen heroes and really only because a fan of Rider whenever he really grew up during Annihilation through Thanos Imperative. Whenever I do end up reading the new Nova series, it will probably be more for just reading about what happened Rich, Worldmind, Black helmets, etc. as opposed to Sam himself.

It's all good dude. Not asking you to fall in love with the character. Just give him a shot and to try and support the Nova series even if it's you picking up the trades later on. And it's also cool that you don't like teenage heroes, different strokes for different folks. Like I said in the OP, Nova fans are in the minority. So we have to let Marvel know we support the Nova books in case (cross your fingers) Rich comes back one of these days.

@humanrocket: This was a fanastuc read good sir and Iike the quote from Rey too.

I have starting read about Nova was from the Annahilation trades to be honest but I always like the character but when I read the new Nova series with Sam Alexander could see some stuff that you mention too.I might get hounded for this but I like Sam as munch as Richard .

Thanks buddy. This was the little thread I told you yesterday that I was working on. And don't worry I will not hound you for saying that or if you prefer Sam over Rich. Sam has the same potential as Rich did when he first the role of Nova. So I can never discourage a fan of the Nova series to not read over details as which of the characters they prefer.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: I feel like you might be a select few and sorry for the typos.

So what did you think of the Nova and Nova corp post annilhation wave ?

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Honestly, the first few issues of Nova v5 were pretty rough... I mean, Loeb totally disregarded and disrespected Richard Rider by totally ignoring the sacrifice he made. But it has gotten a lot better, and Sam is becoming more endearing. I loved his interactions with Cosmo and the Beta Ray Bill team up was awesome. Still hoping Rich comes back in some capacity, if not a lead, as at least a mentor-type character. I can relate to Rich much more than Sam, partly an age thing and partly because I was a lot more like Rich in high school haha Sam can definitely be a prick occasionally.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HumanRocket

@shadowswordmaster: I liked the role the Rich had gotten post annihilation wave. He basically became a one man police force. And it was during that time that he started to become a more mature character. The best way to put it is like this...Peter became Spider-Man, that's the Spider-Man who took responsibility for his powers after his uncle Ben died. Nova became mature and took the weight and responsibility of the entire universe on his shoulder after watching the equivalent of thousands of uncle Ben die in front of him, with absolutely no power to stop it from happening. This little pannel best describes what I just said.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

lets scream in his face anyway (nova on holding back on a pissed off immortal Thanos)

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanrocket: Yeah he seemed to be more mature after A.W. and what happen after that he played a important role in the universe for some time .

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still praying to Thor that Richard comes back and is apart of the GotG since Sam is in Nova. Unless they revamp the current Nova and name it Kid Nova and then give Rich a book again with the tag line "The Man Called..." or "…The Human Rocket!"

As for Sam as a character, he's alright. He still has a lot of needed development. By no means do I dislike him, I think he's doing a decent job as Nova. I've said this in a different thread but now that we know the TRUE origins of the Black Nova's, the whole mantel has changed for me. Spoilers for those haven't read the Original Sin tie in yet: Now that we know Black Novas are essentially evil Nova (being that their suits have zero limitations and must kill Gold Nova to enlist in the Black Corps), it gives Sam a completely different purpose now. The legacy of Richard Rider weighing down on Sam's shoulders is gone now. Now he has to create a new purpose for the corps he unwillingly belongs to and that is change their legacy from being power hungry, selfish, "cops" to something much more honorable. Because he is the LAST Nova and you don't want that legacy to be something so full of malice.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Richard Rider was the top selling toy at comic con this weekend

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Richard Rider was the top selling toy at comic con this weekend

Really? :O Where did you find out this great information?

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never read RR Nova, but I do find Sam to be an entertaining character and I have all of his story so far.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@arturocalakayvee: Don't worry, he'll probably come back. Original Sin will probably clear up what happened to Richard, and how Star Lord escaped.

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find both Sam and Richard to be decent characters, nothing wrong with them just not too interesting to me personally.

You make some good points by the way HumanRocket.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, the first few issues of Nova v5 were pretty rough... I mean, Loeb totally disregarded and disrespected Richard Rider by totally ignoring the sacrifice he made. But it has gotten a lot better, and Sam is becoming more endearing. I loved his interactions with Cosmo and the Beta Ray Bill team up was awesome. Still hoping Rich comes back in some capacity, if not a lead, as at least a mentor-type character. I can relate to Rich much more than Sam, partly an age thing and partly because I was a lot more like Rich in high school haha Sam can definitely be a prick occasionally.

I don't think he was intentionally ignoring Rich's act in the Cancerverse. Gamora even mentioned it in issue two of Sam's book when she mentioned Rich's sacrifice. But, I found it fair how Rich was at least shown in memory in the 100th issue.

Lol, well if you go back to the early days of Rich being Nova and the early days of the New Warriors, you will see the Rich also had a similar attitude similar to Sam.

I'm still praying to Thor that Richard comes back and is apart of the GotG since Sam is in Nova. Unless they revamp the current Nova and name it Kid Nova and then give Rich a book again with the tag line "The Man Called..." or "…The Human Rocket!"

As for Sam as a character, he's alright. He still has a lot of needed development. By no means do I dislike him, I think he's doing a decent job as Nova. I've said this in a different thread but now that we know the TRUE origins of the Black Nova's, the whole mantel has changed for me. Spoilers for those haven't read the Original Sin tie in yet: Now that we know Black Novas are essentially evil Nova (being that their suits have zero limitations and must kill Gold Nova to enlist in the Black Corps), it gives Sam a completely different purpose now. The legacy of Richard Rider weighing down on Sam's shoulders is gone now. Now he has to create a new purpose for the corps he unwillingly belongs to and that is change their legacy from being power hungry, selfish, "cops" to something much more honorable. Because he is the LAST Nova and you don't want that legacy to be something so full of malice.

I said it before, they should have something similar to what they had with the Green Lanterns. A main book for the Nova Corps, where Rich is trying to rebuilt them in some way, and the solo book for Sam. I want Rich back, but at the same time I don't want them to get rid of Sam because the story is really picking up now.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_leno said:

I never read RR Nova, but I do find Sam to be an entertaining character and I have all of his story so far.

Ohhhhhhh man...you're missing out on Richard. If you enjoy and find Sam entertaining, then you will fall in love with the character and stories involving Rich.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@arturocalakayvee: .... THAT explains why their powers are so different! It's been bothering me for so long!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Yeah, pretty much Black Novas have full access to the Nova Force powers rather than a small fraction.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How powerful is sam ?