Not another DBZ vs Superman thread

Pfcoolio15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pfcoolio15

This isn't one of those battle threads. I just wanted to know who is the better hero. Has the better story. Origin. Morals. etc. Things like that. Not who can bust planets.

Avatar image for robocopslayert800
RobocopSlayerT800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RobocopSlayerT800

I don't care for either, but if I had to pick it'd be Superman just cause i'm more familiar with him than Goku.

blackwolf0925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By blackwolf0925

I would go the opposite way, I am more familiar with Goku than Superman. I like the fact that the Dragonball series actually progress throughout the years. We got to see the life of Goku from the beginning to the end.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Jorgevy

I like them both, they're both great. But funny though, I'd prefer their spin off characters if you can say that. like Superboy, Supergirl and Vegeta, Bardock.

but on topic again, Goku and Supes are great and sometimes alike but at the end very different too, and I like them both in different ways. Maybe Goku a bit more because he was part of my childhood, and in terms of comics my childhood was Marvel only. Only more recently I've been getting into Supes but I like him more everyday

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By TheCrowbar

Goku's a psychopath.

Superman>Goku

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JakeN7

@TheCrowbar said:

Goku's a psychopath.

Superman>Goku

Seriously? Have you ever even been exposed to the Dragon Ball metaseries through the manga, anime, video games, etc. at all? Please tell me you're joking...

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheCrowbar

@JakeN7: The dude waits for a guy to charge up and then fights him at that level just to see if he can beat him. Regardless of the suffering that might cause.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JakeN7

@TheCrowbar: Yes, but that's the hubris of the entire Saiyan race! (see Vegeta vs. Frieza, Vegeta waking up the Androids, Vegeta vs. Imperfect Cell, Gohan vs. Cell, etc. etc. etc.)

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheCrowbar

@JakeN7: That doesn't justify Goku being a nutcase.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Yung ANcient One

@TheCrowbar: The Line of being Scared or Smart is pretty Grey for me. I agree with JakeN7 its the Sayain way. It's part of their heritage, and ideal of a honorable battle. I wouldn't say nutcase, but I understand where your coming from.

(+)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JakeN7

@TheCrowbar said:

@JakeN7: That doesn't justify Goku being a nutcase.

He's not insane, it's called a character flaw (something Superman seems to sorely be lacking.)

One could argue that it makes him more relatable. Just look at the Greek gods! They were flawed all up and down the place. They have actual human characteristics. It just makes for an overall better character in general.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlackWind

Let it be known first that I don't care for either character.

Goku is a sub par father and a terrible husband. He would rather practice martial arts than take his wife out. He has never had a job a day in his life, and he leaves his ageing wife, again for a few years to go train someone he barely knows. He apparently goes years without seeing his friends and puts his son against a homocidal bio android, unaware Gohan had absolutely no warrior spirit like him, foolish because that is something he should know. An antisocial giant green alien who once tried to murder Goku and his friends was a better father to Gohan.

Goku is a child in a man's body.

Superman is Big Blue, he makes a way outta nlo way and is a modest hard working farm boy at heart who loves his friends and his job and the planet that took him in. Superman saves everybody, not just someone who wants to blow up planets, and because of that Superman is constantly bothered by the fact that not even Superman can save anybody. He has these godlike powers compared to us but he can only use them for defense and to protect, even though he could likely push us ahead so much faster but he doesn't because he has faith in the power of people.

Superman is a better hero, hands down.

Pfcoolio15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pfcoolio15

@BlackWind: So are you saying goku or Superman is the better character?

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlackWind

@Pfcoolio15: Superman.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheCrowbar

@JakeN7: Having a flaw doesn't make a character relatable. Having a relatable flaw does.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JakeN7

@Yung ANcient One said:

@TheCrowbar: The Line of being Scared or Smart is pretty Grey for me. I agree with JakeN7 its the Sayain way. It's part of their heritage, and ideal of a honorable battle. I wouldn't say nutcase, but I understand where your coming from.

QFT

@TheCrowbar said:

@JakeN7: Having a flaw doesn't make a character relatable. Having a relatable flaw does.

I get what you're Saiyan (couldn't help myself) but I think you're being a bit too judgmental about a character you clearly know little about.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheCrowbar

@JakeN7: LOL I was watching the Anime and reading the Manga when they first came out. Sorry, I've forgotten more about DBZ than you'd ever know.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JakeN7

@TheCrowbar said:

@JakeN7: LOL I was watching the Anime and reading the Manga when they first came out. Sorry, I've forgotten more about DBZ than you'd ever know.

And how exactly would you know that? I have no doubt I know plenty more than you do. I'm the biggest fan I know. I own all the episodes of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT, have read the manga (I even have Cross Epoch), have imported figures from Japan, have a huge collection of the old cards, (not the trading card game, the rare ones) have around 10 video games across multiple platforms, have numerous shirts, toys, accessories, memorabilia, etc. Any true fan of DB would laugh in your face if you told them that Goku was a "psychopath." Get over yourself. This pissing contest you've instigated is juvenile. You know nothing about me....

Pfcoolio15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pfcoolio15

@JakeN7: And thus, you've established yourself as a DBZ hoarder and meglomaniach. Seriously guys, stick to the topic, I don't need to know how much you know about DBZ. Just asked a simple question that required a simple answer. Didn't need to know about all the rare cards you have and your accessories.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheCrowbar

@JakeN7 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

And how exactly would you know that? I have no doubt I know plenty more than you do. I'm the biggest fan I know. I own all the episodes of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT, have read the manga (I even have Cross Epoch), have imported figures from Japan, have a huge collection of the old cards, (not the trading card game, the rare ones) have around 10 video games across multiple platforms, have numerous shirts, toys, accessories, memorabilia, etc. Any true fan of DB would laugh in your face if you told them that Goku was a "psychopath." Get over yourself. This pissing contest you've instigated is juvenile. You know nothing about me....

You're hilarious. You're such an amazing hypocrite. You assume I know nothing of the character, then get your panties in a bunch when I say I know more than you do. Goku is mentally unstable. His behavior and actions often lead to him intentionally harm people around him for his own love of combat. You're not a fan, you're a fanboy, a fanatic. I can separate myself from characters and see them for what they are, and still enjoy them. I enjoy the Joker but he's one inhuman SOB, in the same way I can enjoy Goku even though he's downright insane. Now step back from the keyboard and take a deep breath, else your rage is going to make you pop an artery.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JakeN7

@Pfcoolio15: Sorry....I'm a little too defensive when it comes to my credibility.

I really like Superman, but I think I enjoy Goku more. Superman is pretty one-dimensional and hasn't developed much since he was introduced in '39. The vast amount of powers and strength that Superman has annoys me. He might as well be a god (the same could be said for Goku sure, but at least Goku has flaws.) I also feel that Superman is wound way too tight, and his boy scout nature coupled with his sharp moral compass makes him predictable, and at times uninteresting. Goku is always faced with an opponent greater then himself. It leaves you wondering "how will Goku pull this one off?" It usually isn't so with Superman. Whenever Superman faces a new opponent, you wonder: "how will Superman ever....oh yeah he's frickin' Superman." I mean his name has literally become a colloquial synonym for someone who can do anything. That's probably why I enjoyed All Star Superman so much. It was because he was dying and was faced with a predicament he couldn't overcome. He was fighting against time itself.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JakeN7

@TheCrowbar said:

@JakeN7 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

You're hilarious. You're such an amazing hypocrite. You assume I know nothing of the character, then get your panties in a bunch when I say I know more than you do. Goku is mentally unstable.

Thanks. I can be pretty funny. No, I didn't "assume" anything. I made an educated guess that you know little of the character based on you constantly claiming he's insane.

His behavior and actions often lead to him intentionally harm people around him for his own love of combat.

See, that's where you're wrong. Maybe you need to look up the definition of "intentionally" because Goku and the rest of the Z Warriors NEVER harm anyone (but their opponents) on purpose (except Vegeta, but that's a different story.) Goku's sole purpose is to be the best he can be while protecting his loved ones and defending his planet. He, as well as others, may inadvertently make mistakes which eventually lead to collateral damage, but they never do so consciously or without reason (except for Vegeta.) In fact, it's quite the opposite. They are willing to sacrifice themselves without second thought (including Vegeta! yay!) for the ones they love and the planet they call home. The only time I can think of your argument having any validity would be when Goku and Majin Vegeta fought. Their battle siphoned huge amounts of energy to Majin Buu, but Goku never wanted to fight in the first place. He constantly tried to calm Vegeta down, he constantly reminded him that if they continued they would resurrect Majin Buu, and he was holding back (he didn't go SSJ3.)

"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!"

- Son Goku

You're not a fan, you're a fanboy, a fanatic.

Hahahahaha! You realize "fan" is short for "fanatic" right?

I can separate myself from characters and see them for what they are, and still enjoy them. I enjoy the Joker but he's one inhuman SOB, in the same way I can enjoy Goku even though he's downright insane. Now step back from the keyboard and take a deep breath, else your rage is going to make you pop an artery.

So can I. I feel the same way about Joker. Actually, I'll go one further. I acknowledge the fact that Bruce is completely and utterly nuthouse banana sauce. That doesn't make me any less of a fan of his either. In fact, don't you remember my earlier comments? I said I prefer a character with flaws. You're flip-flopping and going around in circles.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheCrowbar

@JakeN7: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+Fan

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3A+Fanatic

No it's not.

Fan came from Fanatic but they no longer mean the same thing.

I made an educated guess that you don't know more than I do based on what you said. See I can play semantics too!

This is my final post in this thread. I have better things to do.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JakeN7

@TheCrowbar: Good choice. Can't help but feel as though you have nothing else to argue and you realized you lost, so you turned tail and ran. It's ok...it happens. I'm sure you can move on from the crushing defeat of this debate just fine. >; )

EDIT: Also, that link was very cute. But it failed... It should've googled for the definition of fan (which is still short for fanatic) but instead it googled the letter "Q."

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheCrowbar

@JakeN7: You failed at copying.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dondave

Superman

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Well, one of them is an alien who was sent to Earth from a doomed world that was raised by kind Earthlings and later learned of his true origins and great powers to fight against evil on behalf of his adopted planet, and the other...

Freefa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Freefa11

@TheCrowbar said:

@JakeN7: The dude waits for a guy to charge up and then fights him at that level just to see if he can beat him. Regardless of the suffering that might cause.

That doesn't make him a psychopath, that just makes him foolish, irresponsible, and negligent. Normally for someone to be considered a psychopath, they would have to exhibit much more extreme behavior; a nearly compulsive need to deliberately inflict harm or death upon others (often for either no reason whatsoever, or for fictitious reasons manufactured by the psychopath's deranged psyche) tends to be a pretty typical view of what a psychopath is (or at least is the kind of behavior that is likely to actually get someone labeled as a psychopath).

Goku is aggressive and likes to roughhouse, but he is not actually excessively violent, and will not attack and kill people for no reason. In fact, there have even been situations where he attempted to spare his opponents, even when most people would consider lethal force to be completely appropriate (Recoome and Vegeta, for example). There have also been multiple occasions when he deliberately chose to move the battle field to a remote, barren location to avoid harming any innocent bystanders (in this one regard, Goku is actually much more responsible than Superman or many, many other high-powered comic characters, who routinely engage in high-powered slugfests in the middle of highly populated cities in the middle of the afternoon; that hundreds to thousands of innocents aren't killed as collateral damage in these encounters is frankly nothing less than an act of plot).

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JakeN7

@Freefa11 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

That doesn't make him a psychopath, that just makes him foolish, irresponsible, and negligent. Normally for someone to be considered a psychopath, they would have to exhibit much more extreme behavior; a nearly compulsive need to deliberately inflict harm or death upon others (often for either no reason whatsoever, or for fictitious reasons manufactured by the psychopath's deranged psyche) tends to be a pretty typical view of what a psychopath is (or at least is the kind of behavior that is likely to actually get someone labeled as a psychopath).

Goku is aggressive and likes to roughhouse, but he is not actually excessively violent, and will not attack and kill people for no reason. In fact, there have even been situations where he attempted to spare his opponents, even when most people would consider lethal force to be completely appropriate (Recoome and Vegeta, for example). There have also been multiple occasions when he deliberately chose to move the battle field to a remote, barren location to avoid harming any innocent bystanders (in this one regard, Goku is actually much more responsible than Superman or many, many other high-powered comic characters, who routinely engage in high-powered slugfests in the middle of highly populated cities in the middle of the afternoon; that hundreds to thousands of innocents aren't killed as collateral damage in these encounters is frankly nothing less than an act of plot).

QFT my friend.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Jorgevy

@Freefa11 said:

@TheCrowbar said:

YES PLEASE!! Someone here knows the true definiton of psychopathy.......... seriously...... Goku a psychopath? tsk tsk

even Vegeta who could be considered one in the beggining of Z was sacrificing himself to proctect innocent bystanders by the end of Z

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BlackWind

Lol at Goku being a psycho. He's just irresponsible, like I said, a child in a man's body.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#32  Edited By Joygirl

I can't say who's the better hero. I can, however, say that when written well, I like Superman better. He can be fun when the writers find the perfect blend of naive and supremely confident.