Non Comic Readers

Avatar image for xxmarvelousdcxx
XxMarvelousDCXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

What are you thoughts on the people that only watch the movies and TV shows of characters based on a comic and pretend like they do read the comics and know what they're talking about? In my opinion, just liking the movies is fine, as long as you don't act like a know-it-all, when in fact, you don't. I created this topic because somebody I know had told me that Galactus was a giant cloud (like in the movies) and he wouldn't back down, despite me showing him a FF comic.

Thoughts?

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Burn them.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well just liking the movie is perfectly fine. I mean no one has a gun to your head and is saying "Read the comics". It is up to you. Now as for the people who act like they know it all just because they saw the movie to them I will say don't rely on the movies to get information on characters because sometimes the movies can change the characters from how they really are in the comic.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

It doesn't really bother me that much. I might try to politely correct them and then recommend a few comics.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Basically what you just said. I could give a rip who watches the programs, but don't at like a know-it-all if you don't actually know-it-all.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Doesn't bother me. The T.V show and movie characters aren't the same as the comic characters. It's two different universes. Sp, it is possible to know everything about movie or TV Batman, and know nothing about comic Batman.

deadcool_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@xxmarvelousdcxx:

I know exactly what you mean and it really bugs me. It's fine if they just watch the movie, it's another thing if they pretend like they are an expert on a subject. They get you to think they know a lot and this is what happens when you have a conversation with them-

Lets use the Ultron movie coming us as an example:

them: So wasn't that ultron movie great?

me: Yeah, I totally enjoyed it and all the plot twists.

them: Ultron is a beast, I still can't believe that Tony Stark created him.

me: You know that was only in the movie right? Hank Pymn created Ultron.

them: Who?

me: You know ant man

them: O you mean the guy who has ant powers in the upcoming movie?

me: yeah...just wondering how many comics do you read and what kind?

them: I read tons, I love green lanterns they really fit marvel movies well.

me: "sigh"

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Many of those who I'm friends with have a low standard when it comes to movies.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By longbowhunter

As long as people at least recognize that their entertainment originated in the form of a comic and that said comic is the true representation of the character.

allhailme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By allhailme

I created this topic because somebody I know had told me that Galactus was a giant cloud (like in the movies) and he wouldn't back down, despite me showing him a FF comic.

Thoughts?

Technically he may be right, Galactus has been shown to look different from the standard version when viewed by non human species before, so a race of aliens could see Galactus as a cloud LOL

As for the general question, I don't tend to find people who get their knowledge from other sources a problem, after all that was me at one point. I lived in a area that didn't have great access to comics,and we didn't have the internet for me to probe further, so a lot of my info came from tv shows and movies. Most of the time I let little mistakes go (especially with kids), as annoying them tends to make them not want to read further, and the stuff that annoys me or that are major changes I tend to bring up as interesting facts. Most people are ok with that, the ones who can't admit they are wrong tend to do that in more than just comics, so I tend to already know whether that will be a problem or not.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 560

Never encountered anyone like this haha, none of my friends read comics so they don't know that much about the characters and when they want to know more they normally ask me.