• 60 results
#1 Edited by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

EDIT: I've struck a deal with my parents, my Dad will buy me 1-2 comic books a week as part of my allowance, and I'm allowed to spend $10 of my own cash on comic books. Victory! ^^

#2 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

If you can't buy comics, buy manga.

Are your parents Japanese?

#3 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Get a tablet and buy digitally.

#4 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

that sucks. i know how you feel my mom is always complaining about how i waste my money on comics.

#5 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20239 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

"Be water my friend"

#6 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

That's a good suggestion actually.

#7 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

@Xanni15 said:

I was being sincere.

#8 Posted by gumflabica (2240 posts) - - Show Bio

it's like smuggling drugs. i sneak in and i hear my mom and i instanly think "her comic senses are tingling!" she asks me something "nothing! i was out with friends! jeez mom, give me some privacy!" im in my room reading i hear knocking "time for dinner!" "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" i could never really explain the terrified screams to her.

#9 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19 said:

that sucks. i know how you feel my mom is always complaining about how i waste my money on comics.

Comics don't even cost that much. People can buy 150 of them in one pay check assuming that they get payed weekly.

#10 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion: im only 16 and dont have a job i get all my money from my parents. and they dont like the idea of me spending money on comics when i could save up for a car or something.

#11 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

@Aiden Cross said:

@Xanni15 said:

I was being sincere.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................

Any way I can do it without a tablet? Like, on the PC? I've heard that people can get comics online, I just don't know how...

#12 Posted by TheSecondOpinion (614 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19 said:

@TheSecondOpinion: im only 16 and dont have a job i get all my money from my parents. and they dont like the idea of me spending money on comics when i could save up for a car or something.

Oh well that's a different story then.

#13 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSecondOpinion said:

@Eternal19 said:

Oh well that's a different story then.

Yeah my parents don't have a specific idea of what they want me saving my SPENDING money for, but I'm 16 as well. I make money from jobs around the neighborhood though and put half of it into my savings account.

#14 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Aiden Cross said:

@Xanni15 said:

I was being sincere.

Any way I can do it without a tablet? Like, on the PC? I've heard that people can get comics online, I just don't know how...

Comixology.com. Make an account with your email address and all the comics in existence (to an extent) are yours (to buy). You'll need a bank card but once you enter the info you'll only have to do it once and just add the cvn each time. Its all saved in a personal library. Comics are availible the same day as print, plus the site does sales on occassion. I buy old issues and new 52 series that I don't have from number 1 in print through comixology.

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (58024 posts) - - Show Bio

Smh at suggesting to pirate comics.

@minigunman123 said:

comixology.com
BB

#16 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

Rebel

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33367 posts) - - Show Bio
@minigunman123 said:

@norrehusoehsh said:

@minigunman123: Just download them for free, use comicrack and you can read CBR and CBZ files

WHERRRRREEEE D':

Um don't do that. Down load them off Comixology legally, you can use a PC or Laptop
#18 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Aiden Cross said:

@Xanni15 said:

I was being sincere.

Comixology.com. Make an account with your email address and all the comics in existence (to an extent) are yours (to buy). You'll need a bank card but once you enter the info you'll only have to do it once and just add the cvn each time. Its all saved in a personal library. Comics are availible the same day as print, plus the site does sales on occassion. I buy old issues and new 52 series that I don't have from number 1 in print through comixology.

@Billy Batson said:

@minigunman123 said:

comixology.com
BB

Thanks :D I'll figure out how to get an account with digital cash so I can get comics.

Half the fun is owning a physical copy, but I'll just have to get over that :P

#19 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

That sucks. You would think parents would encourage their kid to use their spending money on reading material and stuff.

#20 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@KnightRise said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Aiden Cross said:

@Xanni15 said:

I was being sincere.

@Billy Batson said:

@minigunman123 said:

comixology.com
BB

Thanks :D I'll figure out how to get an account with digital cash so I can get comics.

I know what you mean. I by far prefer print copies from my local shop, but digital is really, really, really, convenient. Have you tried explaining to your parents that comics are a serious art form?

#21 Posted by sagejonathan (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

That's terrible. I find comic books to be my source of relaxation where my imagination can go loose. And you can't play video games either?! What do you do for fun at home?

#22 Posted by Erik (32787 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123:

Digital comics. The only way to fly IMO.

#23 Posted by Erik (32787 posts) - - Show Bio

@keilrusoeu said:

@minigunman123 said:

@norrehusoehsh said:

@minigunman123: Just download them for free, use comicrack and you can read CBR and CBZ files

WHERRRRREEEE D':

comicrack

I am pretty sure teaching people how to pirate comics is a big no-no on this site.

#24 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@sagejonathan: I talk to people online, program computers (I'm going to start my own company some time in the next year) and play piano, and play games without their knowledge LOL. I could play better games if I had my better laptop or my 3DS though... They always confiscate stuff. >_>

#25 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

@minigunman123 said:

@KnightRise said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Xanni15 said:

@Aiden Cross said:

@Xanni15 said:

I was being sincere.

@Billy Batson said:

@minigunman123 said:

comixology.com
BB

I know what you mean. I by far prefer print copies from my local shop, but digital is really, really, really, convenient. Have you tried explaining to your parents that comics are a serious art form?

Ihave NO idea how to go about trying to argue that point, or how to argue at all that I should be allowed to buy them. My parents can be very draconian sometimes. Maybe you can help me make an argument to get them to let me buy comics?

#26 Posted by RazzaTazz (9638 posts) - - Show Bio
@norrehusoehsh: We dont promote thievery around these parts
#27 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123:

The level of storytelling has evolved greatly in the past 70 years

--compare 40's, 50, and early 60's stories to the Death of Gwen Stacy, Snowbirds Don't Fly, and A Death in the Family. And even those are 20+ years old.

So many comics are incredibly introspective, and they're are definitely not children's books.

The deeper stories can really be considered literature

--Watchmen, Batman RIP, Killing Joke, Vertigo stories, Animal Man, The Dark Knight Returns. The list goes on.

Real world issues are occasionally tackled through allegory, or through more direct reference

Characters can be viewed through an advanced analytical perspective

--Spider-Man, Hulk (but avoid using Hulk, they might think he's just a rage fantasy) classic X-Men, Superman, Dick Grayson, Captain America, etc

There's something relatable or epic in your favorite characters.

And they're a classic American icon and they're just plain entertaining.

--Get the ideas that comics are nonsensical wastes and that superheros are pandering escapist fetishes out of their heads. Superhero stories are our modern mythology.

Call on KnightRise, this is what I do best.

#28 Posted by Holaso (78 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Get them regardless.... Just be a ninja and don't get caught :p. My mom isn't exactly supportive, but at least she doesn't outright ban me .

#30 Posted by TDK_1997 (14892 posts) - - Show Bio

Comixology or pirate.

#31 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Just try cutting down your pull list. At the moment i'm only reading about 3-4 different series and one of those is AVX which only has 2 issues left.

#32 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

#33 Posted by Alphaproto (351 posts) - - Show Bio

Spend as much time as you can, at least three hours, to tell her how wrong she is. Maybe she'll get sick of hearing your voice and give up.

#34 Edited by jinxuandi (595 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123: Set a hard budget. It will be hard to do at first but tell yourself you won't buy more than, say, 3 books or spend $8 a week. Tell your parents that you are setting a book budget and are going to abide by it. They will respect you for it. You will have to prioritize and miss a book you want at some point, but it's better than your mother coming down on you like a hammer and making you miss everything.

#35 Posted by YoungJustice (6841 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't buy any for 4 weeks. When you have your language arts/reading test. Fail it. Only the spelling questions though. Tell your mom that comics help you spell words correctly. I bet she'll STFU.

#36 Posted by Citrus (77 posts) - - Show Bio

16 year old here too. It's only a matter of time until I'll be in your shoes too unless I score a job quickly! But you're earning your money (I assume) so whats the problem??

#37 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Try to appeal to your parents. Do some more chores around the house or something, just try to get their attention and show them you can be responsible with the content.

#38 Posted by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123:

A lot of libraries carry trades...while I know it's not a great long-term solution if you want comics, you can maybe check some out while you're working the problem out. :)

#39 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw, man, that sucks. My parents let me spend my money on whatever I want as long as it's not illegal, and I don't ask them for more money.

@TheSecondOpinion said:

@Eternal19 said:

Comics don't even cost that much. People can buy 150 of them in one pay check assuming that they get payed weekly.

For people on low budgets like me ($20 a month for allowance), comics are expensive as hell.

#40 Edited by Yai_Inn (352 posts) - - Show Bio
@minigunman123: Alright dude here's what you do.  
1. Get yourself a journal. Like a diary. I know it sounds dweeby but you'll need it. If you already have one good.  
2. Write a bunch of journal entries in it for like past year or so... make it look real. Write about your day, feelings, dreams, super powers, etc. If you remember doing stuff on particular dates then add that stuff.  
3. Now your gonna have to bite the bullet on the comics for a little bit. I know it sucks, but missing a month or two of comics isn't that bad, it's not hard to catch up. 
4. When you start back at school start hanging out with some new friends. Get a girl friend. This sort of stuff.   
5. Continue to fill the journal out, but start to make it more and more explicit with each day. You know the typical stuff kids your age do... parties, under age drinking, marijuna, unprotected sex, etc. Nothing too crazy that it's unbelievable though. *I am in no way encouraging you to do these sorts of things, I'm saying fabricate stories in your journal that you age.  
6. Now when the time is right "accidentally" leave the journal lying around somewhere it can be found.  
7. Your gonna get in crap from your parents here. Bring up the typical BS teenage rebellion stuff, come to the conclusion that you're better off staying indoors reading comics where your parents can keep an eye on you - but act pissed about this, don't come to this conclusion too soon into the argument. Hell I'm sure at this point your parents will give you more money to buy more comics to keep you away from your friends. Just make them realize there are far worse things a teenage boy can be doing than reading comics.  
Good luck bro  
#41 Posted by chiefchin (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to get hassled my by my Mum that I spent my money on rubbish (comics, games, dvds etc). It gets better when get a bit older and have a proper job and move out, you can buy whatever you want, it's awesome. Hang in there man!

#42 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Funrush said:

Aw, man, that sucks. My parents let me spend my money on whatever I want as long as it's not illegal, and I don't ask them for more money.

@TheSecondOpinion said:

@Eternal19 said:

For people on low budgets like me ($20 a month for allowance), comics are expensive as hell.

Yeah, I work for $7.50 to $10 an hour, with few hours a week; I do yard work for neighbors. Comics are expensive. :\ no allowance though.

@Yai_Inn said:

@minigunman123: Alright dude here's what you do. 1. Get yourself a journal. Like a diary. I know it sounds dweeby but you'll need it. If you already have one good. 2. Write a bunch of journal entries in it for like past year or so... make it look real. Write about your day, feelings, dreams, super powers, etc. If you remember doing stuff on particular dates then add that stuff. 3. Now your gonna have to bite the bullet on the comics for a little bit. I know it sucks, but missing a month or two of comics isn't that bad, it's not hard to catch up. 4. When you start back at school start hanging out with some new friends. Get a girl friend. This sort of stuff. 5. Continue to fill the journal out, but start to make it more and more explicit with each day. You know the typical stuff kids your age do... parties, under age drinking, marijuna, unprotected sex, etc. Nothing too crazy that it's unbelievable though. *I am in no way encouraging you to do these sorts of things, I'm saying fabricate stories in your journal that you age. 6. Now when the time is right "accidentally" leave the journal lying around somewhere it can be found. 7. Your gonna get in crap from your parents here. Bring up the typical BS teenage rebellion stuff, come to the conclusion that you're better off staying indoors reading comics where your parents can keep an eye on you - but act pissed about this, don't come to this conclusion too soon into the argument. Hell I'm sure at this point your parents will give you more money to buy more comics to keep you away from your friends. Just make them realize there are far worse things a teenage boy can be doing than reading comics. Good luck bro

That's the most hilarious solution I read in this thread, lol. Kudos for this one.

#43 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@chiefchin said:

I used to get hassled my by my Mum that I spent my money on rubbish (comics, games, dvds etc). It gets better when get a bit older and have a proper job and move out, you can buy whatever you want, it's awesome. Hang in there man!

Hanging in there! ^^

#44 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@Funrush said:

@TheSecondOpinion said:

@Eternal19 said:

Yeah, I work for $7.50 to $10 an hour, with few hours a week; I do yard work for neighbors. Comics are expensive. :\ no allowance though.

Yeah. I want a job, but I haven't found a place that will hire me due to my age.

#45 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAT THE HECK? You can't buy comics, you can't play games, wth seriously....

just sneak some comics in. Prep yourself, set up a nice way of delivering the comics directly to your room without passing through the main points of encounter with your parents. If it's only your mom and you think your dad won't snitch on you, then just worry about your mom. If you live in a house, try to set up a way of pulling your comics directly to your room window. Then you need a hiding spot. You obviously need a lot of space. Under the bed is a nice place, maybe inside a few boxes or chests, and put some balls/toys/random crap in front of it so no one can tell there's something behind. And just make sure you clean your own room. BAM!

#46 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Start buying weed then tell your Mom, "I wanted to spend my money on literature but you made me choose drugs." Weed or comics, you win.

#47 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

WHAT THE HECK? You can't buy comics, you can't play games, wth seriously....

just sneak some comics in. Prep yourself, set up a nice way of delivering the comics directly to your room without passing through the main points of encounter with your parents. If it's only your mom and you think your dad won't snitch on you, then just worry about your mom. If you live in a house, try to set up a way of pulling your comics directly to your room window. Then you need a hiding spot. You obviously need a lot of space. Under the bed is a nice place, maybe inside a few boxes or chests, and put some balls/toys/random crap in front of it so no one can tell there's something behind. And just make sure you clean your own room. BAM!

Yeah, getting comics physically isn't the issue. The issue is they keep close tabs on my money and if any money is missing or something they're like "wtf did you spend it on you bad child". My money isn't my money, basically.

#48 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, there is a bit of good news in regards to this situation. I did manage to get lots more comics before this stupid rule was put into place. I got caught up with Deathstroke, Teen Titans, Batman, got some Green Lantern Corps, Superman, lots of Batman and Robin... Just generally got some nice issues before being banned from buying anymore. So hey, there's always that. >.>

#49 Posted by Yai_Inn (352 posts) - - Show Bio
@minigunman123: it's all good dude. I'm telling you it will work. Trust me, when your parents think you cut yourself and sniff oxycontin, drinking and having sex doesn't even seem bad. Reading comics makes you look like an angel. And buying a journal is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying an ipad.
#50 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yai_Inn said:

@minigunman123: it's all good dude. I'm telling you it will work. Trust me, when your parents think you cut yourself and sniff oxycontin, drinking and having sex doesn't even seem bad. Reading comics makes you look like an angel. And buying a journal is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying an ipad.

Alright, I'll give this a shot.

I'll be honest with everyone here. After this bullcrap at home I had a huge post detailing crap from my life, and was thinking of running away to live elsewhere. But the support on here, even though I haven't even spoken about much of my life to warrant the support; it's astounding! This community will always have a place somewhere special in my heart :)

Also, no, I'm not going to do the stupid thing and run away. A great friend of mine pointed out it would be bad, a little stupid, and selfish, not to mention dangerous. No need for us to go down that road again >.>