inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

If there's anyone who knows how to end their run with a bang, it's Kyle Higgins. Between this issue of NIGHTWING and DEATHSTROKE #8 (which was also pretty emotionally jarring), Higgins reels the reader in with some incredibly touching moments. He knows how to get to the reader while really leaving them the feeling with "this is it."

The moment that really grabbed me, as the reader, was the three pages of Jen and Dick talking on the roof about the loss of Jen's parents. It's this brilliant moment of two characters truly connecting to each other through the loss of loved ones and if you don't get a bit teary eyed during the scene, you must teach me to mask my emotions just like you can.

Aside from this moment, Higgins provides a somber issue that also goes over the life Dick Grayson has had as a vigilante which truly reads like a love letter to the character, the series, and to its fans. It's heart-warming and touching, but ultimately, depressing as those reading FOREVER EVIL knows what happens next.

If there's one thing these past two issues did for myself and probably for other readers, it's that we all became aware of how great the art of Russell Dauterman is, along with the beautiful coloring of Pete Pantazis. Everything about Dauterman's work is utter brilliance from his fight sequences to the emotion he puts in the faces of these characters. This book made me a fan of his work and I'm ready to follow him onto his next project.

The overall ending of this issue really works well and it will keep fans happy, even though it's not a big reveal. However, it is a great looking piece of art by Dauterman. As a longtime fan of the book, there's no frustration or aggravation. The ending feels right and perfect, all while catching up Dick to the events of FOREVER EVIL without actually bleeding into the book itself.

The Bad

It's Higgins' last issue and the second to last issue for this book.

The Verdict

Jokingly, I said that writing this review felt like an obituary rather than an actual review, and that's completely true. Higgins' run on this book, especially his stint in Chicago is some of the best storytelling to come out of this character in a very long time. There's a lot of love put into this issue as Higgins very obviously says farewell to those who have supported the book. While we shouldn't take away anything from Dauterman's stunning art throughout the past two issues, it's sad to see Higgins leave the book, but he does so with style, class, and with a gigantic bang. Overall, I highly recommend this brilliant issue.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

DC STAR POWER!!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

sad to see Higgins go, but that art is terrible, imo

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

DC needs to give Dauterman a book! Young Justice or New Teen Titans!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jakkoaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a fantastic issue. Im worried but looking forward to whats next for nightwing.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jakkoaks said:

I thought it was a fantastic issue. Im worried but looking forward to whats next for nightwing.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing issue and an amazing ending as well. It was very emotional, showed Dick's journey through this whole series perfectly. And also shows specifically who Dick really is.

Seriously, perfect ending to a great series. Bravo Mr. Higgins.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Amazing issue and an amazing ending as well. It was very emotional, showed Dick's journey through this whole series perfectly. And also shows specifically who Dick really is.

Seriously, perfect ending to a great series. Bravo Mr. Higgins.

This

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is the girl behind Nightwing?

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

So does Nightwing physically carry Zsasz to Gotham or does it not go into that specific detail?

Sad to see this book ending but I'm still keeping hope alive that Dick makes it out of Forever Evil.

andreww154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great ending to Higgin's run - really liking Dauterman's art. Like most people I'm sad to see him go, and sad for the end of the Nightwing book. But it does look like somehow he'll have a role in the post Forever Evil world.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

most emotional issue since Deathstroke #8 lol

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By danhimself

loved this issue!! so sad to see Higgins leave but at least we still have him on Batman Beyond

also Dick's Talon suit is bad@$$!!!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody know why he's not writing the actual last issue?

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: that is something I have been wondering also bc the last issue is being writing by tyonin which makes me sad bc he is horrible on RHO IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's getting cancelled?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: Tynion is writing it, and he's one of the main writers of Batman Eternal. I think that connection has a lot to do with it. They're probably going to transition Dick in between books and set up the new status quo.

Avatar image for drmantistoboggan
DrMantisToboggan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In June they're coming out with a nightwing and bluebird book so hopefully that means dick survives.... hopefully he's the blonde dude in the batsgiving picture.

I actually think it's a novel idea to give dick a sidekick, he's a nearly 75 year old character and has grown/developed more than most characters.

Still a chance he dies off and someone else becomes nightwing, but let's hope not

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that they will put Dick in a coma. Becsuse that's in the middle. Hes not quite dead but still outta commision. Also it makes perfect sense with the scenario they put him in at the end of Forever evil 6.

Just my opinion.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Higgins run was great until after The Death of the Family tie ins. Then it got lame. I was excited for a new writer but now it's ending :(

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fastestmanalive: maybe Tim becomes Nightwing while dick is in a coma to show that dick and nightwing are two different people and when he wakes he can return to being Nightwing and the public will think it was just a lie told by the CS

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this issue reflected Nightwing's personality really well. The whole looking-forward and keeping your head up high mentality is one of the many reasons why I love the character. If he does survive Forever Evil, we'll all know that he'll take it in stride and that it won't bog him down for long.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. Love Higgins on Nightwing. Words can't express my displeasure that this was his last issue as well as the 2nd to last issue of the series. Hopeful for good news however when the June solicits come in.

@xwraith said:

It's getting cancelled?

Yeah. This was Higgins last issue. Tynion IV is on the next issue which is the series final.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Great issue! So sad to see it come to an end.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

#@drmantistoboggan: @knightofthechronicle: @jakkoaks:

@fastestmanalive said:

I think that they will put Dick in a coma. Becsuse that's in the middle. Hes not quite dead but still outta commision. Also it makes perfect sense with the scenario they put him in at the end of Forever evil 6.

Just my opinion.

Dick Grayson is dead!...just read Forever Evil #6

I was never a big fan of Nightwing, i always liked more, Batman, jason todd, and cassandra cain, but i don't like what DC did to him anyway...but now, at least, since there's a new Nightwing series with new writers coming soon, there's at least a chance for me, and others, to see cassandra cain come back

Avatar image for drmantistoboggan
DrMantisToboggan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DrMantisToboggan

@bat_girl_cc: i personally dont see things turning out that way, they announced months ago that stephanie and wally were coming back but theres been no word about cassie returing so i doubt she'll simply show up and become nightwing.... she would probably be black bat anyway.

i think dick just dyes his hair and some other pieces fall into place and everything ends up relatively ok

now just need to bring damian back