Posted by airbound_dude (65 posts) - - Show Bio

As April and May come closer, big events are coming to both houses of comics this year. Marvel Comics are bringing their main event Avengers vs. X-Men this April. Promotion for this event is as high as the upcoming film The Avengers. It’s no surprise to see all this promotion. Marvel hasn’t had a good year and since the reboot of DC’s New 52 has made DC Comics at the top of comics’ sales. Marvel has the edge on dollar value, but unit sold are much lower than DC Comics. And with this big event, Marvel is all in for it to succeed. The fact that they have heavy hitters on both writing and art like Brian Michael Bendis, Matt Fraction, Jason Aaron, Ed Brubaker, Jonathan Hickman, John Romita, Jr., Oliver Coipel and Adam Kubert is a clear and present indication that they are all in on this being their comeback to the top.

On the other hand of the spectrum we have an upcoming event inside the Batman family books called “ The Night of the Owls”. As seen in the issues 1-6 of Batman, Scott Snyder is giving us an enemy as old as Gotham City itself, and one that has managed to stay under the noses of Batman for a very long time. For a while even Batman thought the court was a fairy tale. Bad for him, the Court is real and it nearly cost him his life. He barely managed to survive but the Owls are just starting to flex their muscles. Virtually all Batman books will deal with this event (except Batman Incorporated and Batwoman…yes Detective Comics just changed their story to try and fix in on the night as well), so it’s the first crossover event of the New 52, but limited to the Batman series. Promotion of this event is slowly but surely mounting up among fans and I personally am more exited about this event than AVX.

What you guys think about both events? I expect both of them to be successful in their own way, but then again, I am a little worried about Marvel overstretching AVX beyond what was intended to do (AVS vs. as a good example) and the tie ins to the events. So what you guys think?

#1 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Night of the Owls at the moment, but thats only because thats the only one I have read anything of. You can't realyl judge until you try something.

#2 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

NIght of Owls is going to be EPIC, the Batman issues 1 to 6 have hold it very well and you can't really imagine what is going to happend, not like in AVX that if you have see the previews/teasers showed here, the X-men are going to be the "Bad guys" (C'me on!! Cyclops want the phoenix force to come, destroy and kill people just hoping it also will rise the mutant population, how can that don't be bad?) so for more logical is that the X-men is going to win, the Avengers will do it just for the bad/good side showed.

Anyway I'm going to check it if reviews say so, and going to pick some issues which battles look interesting.

#3 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1 said:

NIght of Owls is going to be EPIC, the Batman issues 1 to 6 have hold it very well and you can't really imagine what is going to happend, not like in AVX that if you have see the previews/teasers showed here, the X-men are going to be the "Bad guys" (C'me on!! Cyclops want the phoenix force to come, destroy and kill people just hoping it also will rise the mutant population, how can that don't be bad?) so for more logical is that the X-men is going to win, the Avengers will do it just for the bad/good side showed.

Anyway I'm going to check it if reviews say so, and going to pick some issues which battles look interesting.

In my opinion its pretty obvious what will happen with Night of Owls, Batman isn't going to lose & I imagine there being more twists and turns in AVX.

I'm not saying AVX will be better & Snyder's Batman is the only title I have left on my pull from new 52 but it was pretty obvious that Batman would have gotten out of the white room and beat the crap out of the assassin in that last issue.

#4 Posted by Manchine (4185 posts) - - Show Bio

Its Batman... which means I would rather light my money on fire then buy Buttman.

#5 Edited by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers: I know, he's going to beat them (We ALWAYS know it, we just buy the comics for seeing and enjoy how he does it), but for me is more interesting see how he they do it that seeing how Avengers beat X-Men (I'm not saying isn't going to be interesting, going to be but less) and it's also more logical.

#6 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

it`n not even a contest. i mean we have a great writen event (Night of the owls) and a annual moneymaking event with only a VS idea (AvX). it will probably be like Civil war and at the end everyone involved will forget why they are fighting for.

PS for all their power no Xmen could do anything to Thor so i really wonder who will win...

#7 Posted by DEGRAAF (7918 posts) - - Show Bio

i really like night of Owls and will probably like it even more once the whole Bat Family gets involved more but i am probably going to like AvsX more. It just seems like it will have a bigger impact so as long as the main story writing is good i will enjoy it more

#8 Edited by n8hobbs (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I'm looking forward to both, Night of the Owls crossover more though. I mean what DC has done with Batman in the last 6 issues is pretty sweet. We're seeing him pushed to his breaking point and I can't wait to see what happens when he finally gets to have his revenge. Plus I love how they're setting all Batman related comics up to be fighting in Gotham. I just read Batman 6 and Nightwing 6, yes I'm behind, I order my comics online...anyway... To have an idea of what's coming up in the near future makes the anticipation grow.

As for for AvX, well, I'm just getting it because I'm interested in it. Now I will drop it if the 1st issue is just a total letdown...which it could be, you never know anymore. But I'm giving it a chance, will it take it's place in front of the Night of the Owls crossover? Definitely not. Will I get it? If the 1st issue doesn't let me down, then yeah.

#9 Edited by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

NOTO will be better but it probably won't sell as much.....

#10 Posted by WildValentine (289 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm very hesitant about NOTO. Simply because Scott Snyder has been writing this story so beautifully and with absolute perfection, that to spread it across more than one book can only be detrimental.

#11 Posted by GamerGeek360 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be reading both but Night of the Owls is the one I'm more excited for. I guess that's just my Batman bias coming through though....

#12 Posted by Saren (25116 posts) - - Show Bio

Night of the Owls.

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (15093 posts) - - Show Bio

Night of the Owls.

#14 Posted by jrock85 (2850 posts) - - Show Bio

Night of Owls > AvX

#15 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers vs X... who am I kidding NOTO.

#16 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

NOTO will be better but it probably won't sell as much.....

#17 Posted by feargalr (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers: This is true.

The night of the owls will make for an amazing story, it'll probably be better written then AvX, however what attracts me to AvX is not knowing what the frak is going to happen, and also some (hopefully anyway) great writing and art.

#18 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedOwl_1 said:

C'me on!! Cyclops want the phoenix force to come, destroy and kill people just hoping it also will rise the mutant population, how can that don't be bad?

No.

#19 Edited by BloodTalon (443 posts) - - Show Bio

I am actually more interested in The night of the owls but since I only get Detective comics and I get all of the books involved in AvsX I will have to wait for the night of the owls to come out in trade.

BTW I think that the out come in The night of the owls is a no brainer where as AvsX is more questionable as to who will win and how

#20 Posted by Scodaillest (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers vs xmen... C'mon i like bendis. Night of the owls just doesnt seem that interesting. Im dissapointed in the new 52... Best book is justice league.

#21 Posted by The Stegman (26057 posts) - - Show Bio

Night of the Owls has started out far superior than AvX

#22 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

Not picking up AvX. I will pick up Night of Owls. I'm getting Batman as usual, Batman and Robin, Dark Knight because Tim stars and it's through the Talon's point of view, Nightwing, Batgirl, Batman Annual, and Red Hood. I may get Detective, Birds, and Batwing. I have no plans to get Catwoman or Western.

#23 Posted by The_Tree (7979 posts) - - Show Bio

Night of the Owls is far better. I've read the first two issues of Avengers vs. X-Men, and it's complete crap.

#24 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

Been awestruck by the Night of Owls so far...AvX...err...not so much

#25 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

AvX is a dogs-meal of an event, and Night of the Owls is over hyped (because he's the goddamn Batman). So far, NOTO has been riddled with over saturated symbolism and scientific jargon in hopes of bringing out the mystery vibe that is expected of all Batman related books. As of issue 7 of Synder's Batman, Bruce has already identified the Talon's weaknesses, so there really shouldn't be anything stopping him from stomping them outright...

#26 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

night of the owls is best

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35130 posts) - - Show Bio

Night of Owls is a completely different kind of event to AvX, Night of Owls is just a Bat event and not the DCU as a whole, it's more like Spider Island than AvX, there a a whole bunch of little events starting over at DC right now

#28 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

night of the owls will be better because it involves the entire bat family

#29 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@htb106 said:

night of the owls will be better because it involves the entire bat family

Just because it involves a lot of people doesn't make it better. AvX has all of the big Marvel heroes. What makes an event good is it's writing and storyline.

That is why I'm with Night of the Owls.

@royale_with_cheese said:

AvX is a dogs-meal of an event, and Night of the Owls is over hyped (because he's the goddamn Batman). So far, NOTO has been riddled with over saturated symbolism and scientific jargon in hopes of bringing out the mystery vibe that is expected of all Batman related books. As of issue 7 of Synder's Batman, Bruce has already identified the Talon's weaknesses, so there really shouldn't be anything stopping him from stomping them outright...

The fun part is that none of the other members of the Bat-family know that except for Nightwing. It will be interesting to see how that works.

#30 Posted by TheHeat (455 posts) - - Show Bio

AvX

#31 Posted by Saren (25116 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not particularly thrilled by NOTO, but AVX has been so horrendous so far that NOTO wins by default.

#32 Posted by ME24601 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Night of Owls has so far been infinitely better than AVX. Marvel has a love for crossover events with multiple tie ins, and it is honestly getting old at this point. If we take Fear Itself for an example, everything that happened in that storyline was completely retconned as soon as the event ended. The characters who died were instantly brought back to life, and the entire thing was dull.

#33 Posted by The_Peter_Cosmic (401 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm reading both, NOTO is about a thousand times better, but I'm far more interested in how AvX turns out since I don't really see NOTO changing Batman's status quo (much less DCNU's).

#34 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

So far NOTO stomps........hard

#35 Edited by Tunsieon (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shamelesslysupportinaznballers said:

@RedOwl_1 said:

In my opinion its pretty obvious what will happen with Night of Owls, Batman isn't going to lose

So? It's the journey that counts, not the destination.

#36 Posted by SoA (5249 posts) - - Show Bio

the owls are a great concept and it gives me a reason to read red hood again lol, avx i find kinda boring and what was mentioned before this wont last and everything will be as it was: civil war(even though i liked it ),secret invasion, dark reign , siege,chaos war , fear itself all had no lasting effects so it was like it never really happened , blech

#37 Posted by blazinasian112 (909 posts) - - Show Bio

AvX....I am optimistic with this crossover.

#38 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care about Batman and AVX has no real point to it, other some cheap cross over fight thrill

so neither for me ^______^

#39 Posted by tensor (5120 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading the two comics so far ,Night of the owls is bang for buck.While AVX seemwas rush to me ,and a bit pointless as this whole war could have been avoid easy with talks ,for one it would have been if there was alot of tension before the phoenix coming for hope, an for some reason the phoenix even seems weak. Thor hurting the phoenix is just wrong, plus the biggest draw back for me is that no one is willing to go all out, on each other which is what we want to see, at the end of the day is heroes fighting heroes it would be nice if marvel took it too another level an let the characters cut loose heroes going all out against each other even if it means by death now that would be nice .

#40 Posted by tg1982 (2712 posts) - - Show Bio

AVX