Next Gen Tech for Superheroes

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

In the last issue of Discover (that being the one still available for purchase) the main story on the cover was a holiday shopping guide for the year 2033. This provided a number of devices, which would be probably somewhat commonplace by that time (though the list did create some controversy). It is interesting though that there is a close relation between speculative science and hard science fiction even when they do not reference each other.

No Caption Provided

As I have mentioned before, this is one of the main points in the Batman chapter of the book The Science of Superheroes, that being that when dreaming ahead for devices for Batman (or other non-powered characters) that a lot of those devices have since come into use. In the modern world it seems as though most characters cannot even keep up with real world science, as for instance in the early 1990s the power of Oracle (Barbara Gordon) to infiltrate computer networks and get information was essentially a superpower, now it is available to everyone with a smart phone. That having been said, it is maybe approaching a time where the next gen tech for superheroes is simply stuff that is already on the market or in development as the dreams of scientist and engineers catch up to those of writers.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SO I CAN GET A GRAPPLING GUN?!!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RetconCrisis

PS4? :3

EDIT: Okay, I'll be serious. This thread is pretty awesome.

With that said, it'd be cool if they implement holographic tech into visual and interactable tech so that we can have computer screens displayed in a hologram, so that the actual computer is only a projector the size of a medium sized smartphone.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4 JediXMan  Moderator

This is actually a very interesting idea. Even Batman Beyond's tech isn't so far fetched anymore.

Question is: should Batman become more futuristic tech, or should he stay "modern" and use technology that is currently being used - or at least being tested.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: I am not sure, for instance when James Bond had the invisible car, people were kind of perplexed that it was too sci-fi like, even if that tech is not that far off.