Next era of MCU villains will be even worse

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Don't take it as me saying the movies will be bad.

Soon the current leads of the MCU (Ironman, Thor & Captain America etc) will be no more. The MCU will be getting new leads such; Ant-Man, Dr. Strange & Black Panther

Now it's fair to say Ironman in the comics has some terrible villains, and I personally think this played a part in his movies. Now with the new leads I can only name 3 villains between them I can see being suitable for a film. Man-Ape, Dormmammu & Mordo. Which isn't good enough for characters who may get trilogies.

Not to mention Inhumans & Captain Marvel as well.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Saren

Black Panther has Achebe and Killmonger. Possibly White Wolf too, though if they go that route it will just be retreading Thor/Loki territory. Man-Ape is terrible. Strange should be fine, he has plenty of villains to choose from. Umar could be a good villain as well, and it'd be interesting to see if they do Shuma-Gorath. Ant-Man has no villains except Ultron, and Scott Lang doesn't even have that.

Carol's villains are useless, though. The only decent villain she ever had was Mystique, and Marvel can't use her. And the Inhumans have a grand total of one villain, Maximus.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kgb725

I find it amusing how you say characters are terrible but you don't know about them. The Mandarin while not present in the MCU I a great villain and Obadiah Stane was a great villain in the first IM.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Wouldn't Maximus be seen as Loki ?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@kgb725: Yeah, but the Inhumans don't exactly have a lot of villains to choose from.

Now that I think about it, Black Panther also has Klaw (who's appearing in AoU) and potentially Morlun as well if Sony lets them use Spider-characters, so he should be fine.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

: @saren: I do agree Strange should be fine. @kgb725: I'm talking about villains good enough to cover a whole trilogy. Stane was good but he couldn't cover up the whole trilogy.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: I don't think they will all get a trilogy

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worst case they can always use other hero villains for these heroes. I think they'll be fine though I don't think they'll just produce a bunch of movies if they don't have a good idea who the villain(s) should be.

Moul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: Marvel best villains are the Spiderman rogues gallery, Doom and Magneto. You can see the problem. I think DC\Warner has the best villains for a movie

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look another MCU is crap thread

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: I don't think MCU is crap, I love it. It's just not perfect, the villains are a major concern for me.

@kgb725: agreed, I think Strange & Panther defiantly are. They are the next faces of MCU.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

kfabz-23 marked this as the best answer

Black Panther has Achebe and Killmonger. Possibly White Wolf too, though if they go that route it will just be retreading Thor/Loki territory. Man-Ape is terrible. Strange should be fine, he has plenty of villains to choose from. Umar could be a good villain as well, and it'd be interesting to see if they do Shuma-Gorath. Ant-Man has no villains except Ultron, and Scott Lang doesn't even have that.

Carol's villains are useless, though. The only decent villain she ever had was Mystique, and Marvel can't use her. And the Inhumans have a grand total of one villain, Maximus.

They could use Moonstone.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MAZAHS117  Online

It's not necessarily bad villains imo. They can still be interesting if written and performed properly.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@saren: The Unspoken

Also having kinda crappy or unknown villains could be a good thing because it means Marvel are less constrained and could reinvent characters or just create new ones.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 SC  Moderator

Maybe, maybe not, villains more so than heroes can work brilliantly just by casting an actor of a high enough calibre. James Spader, Vincent D'Onofrio, David Tennant have had people excited about their respective characters roles, I am a fan of comic Loki, but consider how Tom Hiddleston made the character. I mean there's the potential for failure, underwhelming performance, like Christopher Eccleston as Malekith, but generally all Marvel comic villains have as much chance at success in movies and television as each other at this point. If anything quality in the comics world just means that people have greater expectations and so more room to fail as opposed to having an actor redefine and launch a minor villain into the mainstream inevitably creating a situation where comic book version of the villain is modified to conform to the much more popular mainstream version earning the ire of that characters die hard and long term fans who appreciated them even as a Z lister.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Villians still on the board Masters of Evil, Wrecking Crew, Kang, Morgan le Fey, Taskmaster, Korvac, Leader, Serpent Society, U Foes.

Granted, they really need the FF back to re-integrate the Skrulls properly, Doom, and Annihulus.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tyger: FOX have the rights for Kang, if I remember correctly.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#20  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@saren: there are other ant-man villains, they are just very obscure in comparison (Egghead, Black Knight,Whirlwind etc) Black Panther also has Klaw among the villains already listed. Scott Lang also has Taskmaster so it's possible he could show up.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

let's all chill out and don't attack one another

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Black Panther's villain is Da White Man

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Now that you mention it, its true that most of the character that will be getting movies soon don't actually have a good Rogues gallery. Only Strange and T'Challa have a few who might not be that suitable for a movie, actually. I guess Marvel might try getting villains from other characters and putting them in the movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BP: Klaw, probably, White Wolf possibly, Morlun if they wanna use Spider-Man Characters.

Dr Strange: Mordo, Dormammu, Mephestio, Shuma Gorath, Morgan Le'fey, no shortage really

Ant-Man: I'll give you this one, granted. I think they are setting up an evil Yellowjacket for the movie.

Carol: And this one too, since Mystique is out. Suppose you could do Moonstone...

Inhumans: This will be less hero vs villian i think, and more epic drama.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its obvious that with Ant-Man and after Civil War is done with, then the MCU is through. The hype is already starting to die down as the average person is becoming tired of superheroes. And Antman is looking like it will be Marvel's first flop. Meanwhile, DC is just getting started. If DC plays their cards right, they can completely top Marvel by creating a darker, more realistic, superheroes, that differentiate themselves from Marvel enough that the average person recognizes it as a completely new franchise. However, its also possible that people have just become too sick and tired of superheroes and all TV and movie superhero franchises will die out.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam: Antman will not be a flop.. it's literally the GoTG of this year, and it has everything going for it to actually be an enjoyable movie.

Avatar image for sleeping_and_eating
sleeping_and_eating

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: forgive my ignorance but how can mystique even manage to challenge ms.marvel? I mean mystiques power is ONLY shapeshifting while Ms.marvel is leagues above her in terms of power. Can someone explain this to me?

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think its obvious that with Ant-Man and after Civil War is done with, then the MCU is through. The hype is already starting to die down as the average person is becoming tired of superheroes. And Antman is looking like it will be Marvel's first flop. Meanwhile, DC is just getting started. If DC plays their cards right, they can completely top Marvel by creating a darker, more realistic, superheroes, that differentiate themselves from Marvel enough that the average person recognizes it as a completely new franchise. However, its also possible that people have just become too sick and tired of superheroes and all TV and movie superhero franchises will die out.

You must be friends with Kevin Maher, huh?

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SuperAdam

@dbvse7 said:

@superadam: Antman will not be a flop.. it's literally the GoTG of this year, and it has everything going for it to actually be an enjoyable movie.

Perhaps it will be a good movie, but the premise has already alienated most of the possible audience. Antman is quickly becoming the new Aquaman. Everyone I talked to about the movie has told me things like "Marvel is running out of superheroes" to "What kind of hero is "Antman"??" And Cracked.com even released a video where they make fun of the Antman trailer and his powers. I mean, his ability is the ability to shrink down and take control of ants. And he fights a guy who can shrink down in a bee suit. Superhero movies have had some ridiculous premises, but this stretches the average viewers' willing suspension of disbelief beyond the breaking point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why will IM Cap and Thor be no more?

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea i think so too

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: After infinity war their contracts are over, and the story will move onto their newer character

@superadam: superhero films are just fine, every year their in the top ten highest selling movies.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam: This movie is all about perspective. From the trailer, I can tell that they really capitalize on it. Antman is a preference type of movie, some will like it some obviously won't.

The important thing is to understand how Antman operates while using his powers, and to understand how the world is like with his powers. Like I mentioned above this movie seems like it has that down.

Antman will be a fun, action adventure type of movie. Knowing the MCU their fights will have a humorous tone to them, but it will come from the way we look at the fights.

Negative comments about a movie that's not even out yet should be ignored really. I also don't believe that Marvel is running out of Superheroes.. I think they're just running out of ideas for these heros.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU villains suck.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: Possibly but I can definitely see BP playing a big role. Black Bolt will get a push as well

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: But marketing a movie matters more than the actual movie. Most people who watch a movie have never seen the movie before. So they rely on advertisements and marketing to know which movies to go visit. That's how terrible movies are still able to make a profit, and even generate sequels. If your movie is titles "Antman", and the only clips you have for your commercials are your hero shrinking down and taking control of ants, it'll be difficult to translate the potential awesomeness of the movie to a commercial a few seconds to a few minutes long. Even if the movie is an amazing work of art, most people will just see it as corny.

From TVTropes:

Audience-Alienating Premise

Some shows never stood a chance. Not because they're bad, but because the very concept scared people away. This is the Audience Alienating Premise. An idea that could be cool and could even make a fantastic show, book, movie, video game or comic, and may very well have, but which instead dooms the work from the very start due to the mere concept being a difficult sell. Sadly, due to how it "sounds", many people won't try it out.

This can play out in the inherent struggles with trying to get people excited with niche genres (horror films with Squick and Nausea Fuel), foreign material that doesn't translate well (comedies with puns based on the native language), genres that were killed off some time ago (blaxploitation can only exist today in parody), adaptations of an existing property with a built in stigma (Peter Pan is for kids because of the Disney movie), trying to appeal to too many demographics at the same time (making only that part of the film intelligable to its target audience) or the execution itself takes things in an unexpected direction.

Note that this is not a judgement call on the work itself. Marketing itself can be entirely at fault, trying to sell it as something more generic when it has plenty of other qualities to offer. Sometimes attempts to mimic styles popular from other cultures comes off as too different for audiences to understand and appreciate, even though it is a fine example of that genre in its own right. In many cases an oddball work is shunned on release only to become a Cult Classic, often being either Vindicated by Video or Vindicated by Cable. Simply having an off-sounding premise doesn't immediately qualify for this trope, as sometimes a movie inspired by 1930's pulp space adventures or psychedelic rock with horror themes ends up being wildly successful anyway.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new trailer already changed people's opinion on Ant-Man. It almost did until that Thomas the tank engine joke.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Carol has some good villains in Moonstone, Doomsday Man, and Deathbird. You could even throw Morgan LeFey in there. You could also do the Brood and Brood Queen, as well as the Skrull and Queen Veranke. Are they as notable as Green Goblin or Loki? No, but some are already great characters and others can work with just some development.