Newbie needs help !

SN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi All,

I'm new to the comic universe and really need help on deciding what to read. I came across this really cool comic store in London called Forbidden Planet and had to get involved. I'm interested in Batman and Superman and most of DC Comics but not sure where to start as most of these comics are half way through e.g 'The New 52'. I would really appreciate if anybody could help me with lists on what to read new and old comics and story arcs, Thanks. Much appreciated

P.S: I also purchased the new Dexter comics

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If you want to get into the New 52, I highly suggest Batman, Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Justice League, Aquaman, and The Flash.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#3 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@sn1: What do you think of Dexter so far? :)

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just pick up some trades(graphic novels) of the first few arcs in whatever series you're interested in and then get the single issues.

I'd recommenced

• Aquaman
  • Batman
  • Batman and Robin
  • Superman Unchained
  • Batman/Superman
  • The Flash
  • Justice League
  • Wonder Woman
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@sn1:

Nightwing, start at issue 19

Batman, Start at issue 21 (the new 52 origin of Batman)

Green Lantern, Start at issue 21 (just got a new writer after 9 years. so its a good jumping on spot)

XO Manowar, Start at issue 15

Earth 2 (read all 15 issues and counting)

Superman Unchained (start at issue 1, theres only 3 issues out)

TMNT, (i havent read it yet, but i hear its very good)

SN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Story arch not so bad but little disappointed that Dexter doesn't look like Micheal Hall and a lot of clichéd dialogue but otherwise great (:

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#7 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@sn1: I agree, it was jarring at first how different he looks. Glad to see it wasn't just me who thought the dialogue was a bit off too. Enjoying it mostly though :)

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Try Daredevil, even if it's not DC, try it out. Start from #1 as there's many dots that needs to be connected up until recently.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sn1:

Nightwing, start at issue 19

Batman, Start at issue 21 (the new 52 origin of Batman)

Green Lantern, Start at issue 21 (just got a new writer after 9 years. so its a good jumping on spot)

XO Manowar, Start at issue 15

Earth 2 (read all 15 issues and counting)

Superman Unchained (start at issue 1, theres only 3 issues out)

TMNT, (i havent read it yet, but i hear its very good)

Ha! So true!

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayaaerow: why? You don't like all the night wing issues?

Smallville2106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Smallville2106

Read Batman. Start at issue 21 as it's the new 52 origin as said above but pick up the collections of the earlier issues as it is all great.

Superman Unchained is good and only 3 issues in.

Batman/Superman is worth a read and again only 3 issues in.

Aquaman is fantastic too.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Flash is currently the most fun comic book that DC distributes right now.

Francis Manapul's art is wonderful and the story is pretty good too, I enjoy it every month!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd recommend Green Arrow and Aqauman.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgot to say that Aquaman is pretty dang good too, I should honesty just edit my post but it's TOO LATE NOWWWW

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash and Earth 2.

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman:

Not really. Maybe the Court of Owl Crossover was fine, but the other...until 19....not so much.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayaaerow: your wrong. 1-7 was fantastic. 8-9 was great. 10-12 was good. 0 was phenomenal. 13-14 was crap. 15-16 was okay. 17-18 was good but had bad art. 19-current is good/great but I'm not a will Conrad art fan.

nightwing444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nightwing444

I think I replied to a thread like this on another site.so here's your answer for Batman

Start with 0 issues of Batman .The entire Batman franchise was rebooted in 2011 and hence there are only about 20 issues to collect.Now would be a great time to jump in as they are retelling Batman's origins in this new continuity with "Zero Year"What you followed in the animated series was post crisis Batman continuity that lasted from 1985 to 2011.This is also what Nolan's films are (mostly) nased on.If you want to understand that continuity you follow this order

1.Batman Year One. This is no one time story. It is the greatest Batman story of all time and it is the starting point for all continuity following since

.2 .The Man who laughs.Carries on immediately after year one.

3.The long Halloween. Carries on from2. Note that long Halloween was published in 1997 while man who laughs in 2005.These "one-time" stories tell the Dark Knight Legend chronologically one at a time and are essential for understanding monthly runs

4.Dark victory. Tells the origins of Dick Grayson

5.Robin Year one

.6.Batgirl Year one

7.Nightwing Year one.Dick is fired and Jason is hired

8.A death in the family

9. The Killing Joke

10.A lonely place of Dying

11.Knightfall complete

12.Batman Prodigal

13.Now you should start with the first few issues of Nightwing and Birds of Prey

14.The entire year long No Man's Land arc

15.Hush

16.Bruce wayne Murderer

17 .Bruce Wayne fugitive

18.War Games

19.Identity Crisis.You might need to read up other characters a little to followThis.This is to be followed by "under the hood"

20.the OMAC project

.21.Infinite Crisis.

22.Now you are ready to follow evey issue of Batman"s weekly titles.Grant Morrison's run begins here, oh yeah!

23.Batman and son

24.The Black Glove

25.Batman RIP

26.RIP missing chapter

27.Final crisis+all tie ins

28.Battle for the cowl

29.Batman and Robin reborn

30.Batman vs Robin/The return of Bruce Wayne (to be read together)

31.The return

32.Batman inc

33.Oh you might also want to check the highly entertaining Batgirl vol 3 at this point

34.Leviathan strikes

35.Batman inc n52 (0-13)

Alternatively , you could start collecting Batman 1-700+ but 1.its highly confusing2.only 1 writer's run is truly worth following. This would be Grant Morrison from 2006-2013.Its not that others were bad, its just that they didnt have any lasting impact on the dark knight legacy.well thats not true either but all other important events outside Morrison s run have been listed here

.Note that these arent the best stories per se, rather these are the most important ones.Also you should buy the entire Scott Snyder run from 2011-13 (20or so issues). Now you can just follow the series easily every month.Batman's one of the best comics published every month and Snyder is a great writer.Damian and Terry have never been Batman in continuity. Issue 666 has Damian as Batman in an apocalyptic future which Iis later explained in BatmanInc.Terry (hate that guy) is Batman of a "possible" future in Batman 700. Terry is now the Batman on one of 52 alternate earths in the mainstream DC universe. He has his own monthly title.Hope I helped

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman:

IMO, 1-7 was decent. 8-9 was fine. 10-12, I just didn't really like. 13-14 was crap too!. 15-16 was fine, 17-18 was nice but had horrible art. 19-21 was great! 22-23 is good but the art is iffy for me.

Basically, my opinion on the issues I didn't like is that to me, it seem like he was written as a second-rate Batman, the art in his book fluctuates too much, as im use to consistent art within an arc. However, New 52 comics seem to do that. Also, some of the villains in it I just can't really get into. I only liked 2 of them. I know it's a reboot, but, i hoped it was going to be something like the last Nightwing solo series. To me, he stumbles on his fights and sometimes just loses. He also just gets thrown into bad things that have a long-term effect on him. Not saying bad things aren't allowed to happen, but, he just seems to have the baddest of luck until 19. The reason I think so is because only 3 arcs didn't lead to a crossovers event that was Batman related.

One reason I loved the Pre-Reboot nightwing solo series was because despite him being Batman-related, he had his own little world where he was in control. He had his own villains, his own city, and life outside the realm of Batman. He's his own hero now. He doesn't need to always tag along with Batman to bring down a Batman villain. He's just "Robin-Prime" at that point. His only nemisis before was Deathstroke. But it seems in the New 52, they didn't interact like they did before. So he was left without any till Prankster came along and I hope he stays. Cause it's ridiculous for dick grayson to be around for 70+ years and have no recognizable villain to call his own like Batman and Joker or Superman and Lex Luthor. And should work vice verse, not have a villain or who hops around to 2 or 3 different Rogue Galleries. Every hero needs that.

Basically, in comparison to his last Solo, It's just not as good to me. I know it's a reboot but I was hoping the new ideas were going to be something good and exciting Up until 19, i had iffy feelings about it. Now I'm starting to love it. Except the art. It needs to change. Background looks too photoshopped. Other than that, him being somewhere NOT Gotham or tagging along with Batman is great!

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@jayaaerow: I agree. With what I've read. What's a better series nightwing or ultimate spiderman. Like if both 150ish issues were only 300 dollars which is better?

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JayAaerow

@allstarsuperman: I have not read ultimate spider-man so I can't tell you without being biased. Though isn't the ultimate universe the one that has a middle schooler as the new Spider-Man? All I can tell you is that If you wanna get into Nightwing or love him already but haven't read all of it's solo series, you wont regret picking it up at all!

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayaaerow: its about a 15-17 year old peter. Then he died. And miles Morales take his place. The old night wing never gets boring or stale? Is the art and color good or does it have 90s color were everything is dark?

JayAaerow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: In that, the art is fine IMO. No problems there. It's not old art like 1980s art. I actually like it.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: I have not read ultimate spider-man so I can't tell you without being biased. Though isn't the ultimate universe the one that has a middle schooler as the new Spider-Man? All I can tell you is that If you wanna get into Nightwing or love him already but haven't read all of it's solo series, you wont regret picking it up at all!

I believe Miles is like 15 now. So he's around the same age Peter was at first