New52 analysis of statistical Success, and failure

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Bierschneeman

Strictly speaking the analysis is only along one particular set of data that I stumbled across. What that is, is the beginning and ending of ongoing comics along their groupings

I just found out that the New52 are "grouped" into catagories, more or less, However I also found that these groups have a very distinct fail/success attributed to which grouping a title might fall into, which can explain why there are so many spinoff books to certain titles as well as why they will continue these trends for Seventh wAVE

Im going to start with success

Green Lantern, 100% success, with five ongoing titles ALL still continuing its no wonder they started Larafleeze, and will have Sinestro starting soon (making that six titles)

Superman, currently has 7 Ongoings, with one title 'rumored' to be cancelled resulting in 85-100% success, I say rumored because until it happens we never really know, it could be a relaunch like Marvel, or rebranded like Phantom Stranger, or Justice League of America.

Batman, currently has 13 ongoings, with three titles rumored to cancel and one cancelled. resulting in 71-92% success, much like Superman, I am not surprised they gave Batman so Many titles and spinoffs.

Justice League, Currently has 9 ongoings, with one title being relaunched (so I won't count JLA as part of the Cancelled stat since it will just be JLU now) and 8 cancelled titles resulting in a 52% success. im not shocked at all that it will be given two new titles (*and one relaunch) im not impressed either.

Dark, currently has 6 ongoings with one rumored to cancel and 7 cancelled titles already 35-42% Success, this is not an impressive figure, they will not be given new titles for seventh wave.

Edge, currently has 4 ongoings with 3 rumored to cancel and 10 already cancelled this leaves us with 7-28%, this is horribly depressing figure, the category isn't doing well as all, if you look at the titles however, we will notice that in a greater magnitude than "Dark", most of the cancelled titles were purchased properties. Maybe Vertigo was not a good addition to the New52, or maybe they just aren't well known enough yet.

finally the worse of the worse

Young Justice, has one ongoing. and it is rumored to be cancelled.... with already 6 cancelled titles, this category has clearly been a failure, with a success rate of 0%- 14% this is not a good statistic for DC, I see no fault for them NOT giving Young Justice a new title.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

The Dark has actually been going pretty strong in the New 52 and there's been a recent tease of a big Dark related DC storyline coming up

No Caption Provided

So that's the only objection I have to your overall analysis.

BloodyNights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BloodyNights

@lvenger:

Abandon all hope makes me want to collect more Dark titles besides Dark and Constantine :( but my wallet it cries lol

By the way does anyone know who the chick is towards the bottom right of Deadman?

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

success is viewed by each individual differently, as i'd say batman would be the most successful because his sales destroy every other DC character (books like dark knight and detective were selling at the top half of dcs books).

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bierschneeman: It's an interesting theory, but it has some flaws.

For starters, though it seems GL and Supes line is more successful than Batman's, you to remember that Batman has nearly twice the amount of titles as the two.

Also, while some titles were cancelled, others ended according to the writer's whims (a conclusion to the story etc) such as Teen Titans, Animal Man and Unchained, which don't seem to be included in this analysis.

Otherwise, it's an interesting analysis and I didn't realise how badly the Young Justice line did (I blame Lobdell :P).

@bloodynights-think it's Nightmare Nurse

BloodyNights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BloodyNights

@maccyd:

Thanks, and I agree some did end because they were simply finished, and if a title has more books percentages differences are less.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus Batman is selling like hotcakes every month outselling most other DC and Marvel books regularly so I don't see how that has less than a 90% success rate in sales.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Bierschneeman

@maccyd: @fil123: @bloodynights: @lvenger:

this is why I tried to explain this the way I did, this is, only an analysis along a single set of data, which excludes the fact that Batman group has higher risk than Superman and Green Lantern because there are more titles, and ignores the fact that Batman is outperforming SOOO many titles, and has been this whole time.

I love the Dark group, and when we look at the failed ongoings, we see that most, weren't expected to do very well. and some like Demon Knights we all knew wasn't going to last. I mean it was my second favorite comic, but it was soooo getting cancelled, its wasn't bad, its just the wrong genre for DC to have successful

ohh and thank you