New to comics need some suggestions

Valentino93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I just recently got into comics and I would like to have some suggestions of some good ones. I have read the Y the last man, a friend of mine lent me his and I fell in love with it I just couldn't put them down, and I also have read vol 1 of saga. I want to get into superheroes, but I have no idea where to start. The heroes I'm interested in are Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine, and The X-Men. Also, anything similar to Y The Last Man or Saga. Comics like those that will have a definite ending. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#2  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

As far as excellent comics with a definite ending...

• All-Star Superman
  • Batman: The Killing Joke
  • Final Crisis
  • Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery
  • Identity Crisis
  • Pax Romana
  • Rising Stars
  • Superior
  • Wanted
  • Watchmen
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

Superhero (a little loose term for some of these) comics with definite endings:
Ex Machina (from the same writer as Y and Saga)

Hitman

The Spectre

Starman

BB

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

RolloLinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By RolloLinsky

@valentino93: I don't know if there's anything really like Saga or Y: The Last Man, but anything published by Vertigo is probably your best bet for non heroic type comics. Something like Preacher, or Scalped, Or Ex Machina... jeez, there are a million Vertigo ones.

To plug you into the super hero side of things, and since you like Y and Saga, i would probably recommend the New 52 Swamp Thing, Animal and Justice League Dark titles. They are all new starts with issue 1 (available in collected volumes now) and they are heroic, but still have the sensibilities of the books you like. Batman: The Killing Joke and All Star Superman are definitive stories for those characters and the recent New 52 relaunch of Wonder Woman has been consistently awesome.

There are a million more suggestions i'd be happy to share, though i hope these helped. If you have any more questions feel free to let me know :)

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

x10000. I cannot recommend this enough. Also, Gail Simone's Secret Six and the Hush arc of Batman, or A Serious House on a Serious Earth may be up your alley?

Valentino93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Valentino93

Thank you guys. I have read Watchmen and enjoyed it very much. Sandman looks interesting and so does ex machina. Any good Spiderman, or Superman comics for some one new. Also can I just jump into Justice Leauge or should I start with the trade paperback?

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By mightyrearranger

@valentino93: I have somewhat limited Superman experience. As cliche as it is, my favorite storyline of his is "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way".

As far as Spidey goes, I got my start reading the Revelations arc, which immediately followed the universally panned Clone Saga. I enjoyed it though, it's a very emotionally trying storyline for Peter and all those close to him.

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#9  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

@valentino93 said:

Also can I just jump into Justice Leauge or should I start with the trade paperback?

The first arc (Origin) might be worth picking up if you're into Jim Lee's art; he's one of the best in the industry, but it's not as solid as his previous work on the characters given the atrocious costume redesigns. The second arc (The Villain's Journey) you could certainly afford to skip.

Tony Daniels drew a two issue story (#13 & #14) featuring the Cheetah that you should pick up on Comixology, which is followed immediately by Reis' debut in the Throne of Atlantis crossover (#15-17) that's absolutely a must buy. You're safe skipping #18, which is a filler issue, but definitely jump back on with #19, the most recent issue and easily the best to date.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

@valentino93: Any paperback of Green Lantern with Geoff John's name on it is worth every penny

Valentino93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Much appreciated.